The Main Cast
June SummerA violent, temperamental schoolgirl stuck with the job of restoring light and color to the world as Princess Chroma. Shes got a headstrong personality and has a knack for rubbing others the wrong way. Her approach to battling evil generally consists of punching or hitting things with a mace.
- Anti-Hero Substitute: A unique example that's revealed after she's been well established as the protagonist
- Badass Adorable: Though don't call her Adorable.
- Dance Battler: Up to and including an epic DDR display.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Her violent tendencies are constantly bubbling under the surface.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Well, Jerk with a Heart of Gold, but she still will do the right thing when push comes to shove.
- Ironic Name: There is nothing sunny about her personality, except perhaps when she's playing absurdly gory video games.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Legacy Character
- Magical Girl Warrior: Shes much more invested in the warrior side of things.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Her taste in music and games.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Attempts this when her friends first see her in action, but they see through it in a second.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: Subverted. She loathes the color but it's built into her magical girl uniform.
- Tomboy: She likes to fight, watches violent shows, wears boyish clothing, and is totally unfazed by cuteness.
- The Call Knows Where You Live
- The Chosen One
- Trash of the Titans: Has a thoroughly messy room
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Flies into a destructive rage at the climax of Chapter IV, after a particularly heated battle
Leopold Gryphon/SpidersAn immortal Winged Humanoid from Elysium with considerable magical skill in his own right, Leopold has the misfortune of being Junes mentor. He takes the form of a winged rabbit and hardly a day goes by that hes not thwarted, abused, or humiliated in some way.
- Almighty Janitor: Was just a plumber when he met and rescued the original Chroma
- Baleful Polymorph: Hes trapped in the body of a winged rabbit.
- Bishōnen: In his true form
- Failure Knight: It's implied that he failed to protect the original Chroma and desperately fears failing to protect her successor, June.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Combined with a good measure of Good Thing You Can Heal, hes a constant victim of whatever unpleasant thingor personhappens to be close at hand.
- Mentor Mascot: What he tries to be, but his authority is almost constantly undermined.
- Righteous Rabbit
- The Comically Serious: A stern mentor who appears less stern because he's, y'know, a rabbit.
- Winged Humanoid
April ShowersA schoolgirl whos been friends with June for some time, April is considerably more practical-minded and mature than most of the people around her. Shes un-amused with the idiocy of others and tends to be overly serious, but shes quite sharp and quick to react to situations that would leave others dumbfounded.
- Facepalm: Shes more prone to this gesture than most of the cast.
- Only Sane Man: By far the most normal character and painfully aware of the fact.
Sonny ShowersAprils twin brother Sonny has a serious love of video games. Whatever the situation, if he can get gaming involved somehow, hell find a way to come out on top. Though he has a friendly, gregarious personality, he also has a persistent and sometimes childish competitive streak.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: As expected of a character living by video-game logic.
- Keet: Energetic, cheerful, and optimistic. Even in bad situations, hes rarely ever seen in a low mood.
- Proud to Be a Geek: More likely, he never got the memo that anyone would not be proud of it. He makes all kind of references to video games and gleefully geeks out over things without a hint of shame.
May FlowersA friend of June and April, May is the embodiment of girly cuteness, always bubbling over with positive energy and a cheerful smile. Though a bit spacey, shes kind-hearted and just wants everyone around her to be happy. Because of her sweet disposition, May can get along with practically anyone.
- The Cutie: Adorable, happy-go-lucky, and entirely sweet-natured.
- The Ditz: Shes not exactly stupid, but shes a terrible judge of character and has almost no sense of danger.
- Decoy Protagonist: For a couple pages, we're led to believe that she's the Princess that Spiders is looking for, because she's next to June and has a personality much more suited to the role.
- Sweet Tooth: She loves her sugary treats and is quite willing to share.
Cordelia Si WolCordelia is a stubborn, accident-prone witch with a vindictive streak. Though not above misusing her powers out of petty spite, shes willing to lend a helping hand (albeit passive-aggressively) if trouble starts brewing. Her specialties are magic powders and a wand that can transform into a variety of objects.
- Brutal Honesty: She doesnt pull her verbal punches one iota, but shes often right.
- Cute Witch: Despite not dressing very witch-like, she certainly qualifies.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Shows glimpses of this in the current arc, though if being stuck in a world of darkness with her frenemies doesn't defrost her, nothing will.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Shell save people she hates with her powers, just dont expect her to be nice about it.
Randall March OHareA sour-tempered boy who has the ability to break the fourth wall, Randall treats everyone with disdain and does absolutely nothing to endear himself to others. Naturally, May has taken a liking to him, to Randalls never-ending consternation.
- Fiery Redhead: Hes got almost as bad a temper as June, but hes less aggressive in his retaliations.
- Fourth-Wall Observer: Other characters occasionally bump into the fourth wall by accident, but Randalls the only one who outright breaks it.
- Jerkass: His sheer level of unfriendliness and contempt outclasses pretty much everyone elses.
- Nerd Glasses
- Youthful Freckles
Princess Chroma IA Princess of Elysium with powerful magic. Chroma is sweet and well-meaning, but horribly careless. As a direct result of her inattention, shes responsible for the existence of The Shade and the Monochromes.
- Classical Anti-Hero: Naive, insecure, and clumsy, but committed to doing the right thing.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: So horribly accident-prone, but she still manages to be endearing even when mistakenly summoning an evil familiar from a forbidden cake recipe.
- Genius Ditz: Combines an unmatched at dark magic with a complete obliviousness to its potential consequences.
- The Merch: Her popularity in Elysium was quickly supplemented with an influx of dolls and other paraphernalia.
- Nerd Glasses: When they get dirty, they resemble Opaque Nerd Glasses.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: She's the one who created the Monochromes, due to a naive fascination with the dark arts
- Princesses Prefer Pink: In various shades.
- Rainbow Motif: With a name like Chroma, was there ever a doubt?
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
King BrunswickA King of Elysium and Chromas elder brother. Brunswick is capable ruler with a calm, collected demeanor. Hes good at sizing up situations and, much unlike his little sister, hes very conscientious about the consequences of things.
- Aloof Big Brother: Well, he is Chroma's big brother, and he is rather reserved and stern.
- Big Brother Instinct: He cares a lot about what happens to Chroma, though hes hardly blind to her shortcomings.
- Bread and Circuses: managed to rebrand Chroma's dark magic so that she could be a heroic magical girl, at least for a time
- The Good King: Hes stern, but entirely benevolent and plenty competent at being a ruler.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's not above manipulating his subjects or his family, but he does have their best interests at heart.
- Modest Royalty: His crown aside, his clothes arent that much more extravagant than the uniforms the castle guards wear, and even the crown isnt very elaborate.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
The ShadeA malicious creature responsible for the existence of Monochromes on Earth. The Shade has an inherently cruel, heartless nature and a nasty temper to boot. Chroma mistakenly summoned him as her Familiar.
- Big Bad
- Gone Horribly Wrong: He was summoned by Chroma herself from a cake recipe.
- Napoleon Complex: He did not react well to Leopold shrinking him in their first encounter.
- Slasher Smile: Its kind of bad when he frowns. Its never, ever a good thing to see him smiling.
JulioThe Grim Reaper himself. Julio usually hangs around to make sure June does her homework at the behest of her mother. He seems to be quite a ladies man, too.
- Don't Fear the Reaper: Hes Death, yes, but hes hardly evil and even has a silly streak.
- Serious Business: His day job involves making sure June gets her homework done and shows up to school on time. He takes this job very seriously.
- The Voiceless: He talks about as much as one would expect an animate skeleton to talk.
Queen JunoThe current reigning Queen of Elysium. Juno is mysterious and always seems to know more than she lets on. Shes a benevolent ruler nonetheless and is the one who sends Leopold to Earth in the first place.
- Big Good
- Deadpan Snarker: Has her moments, especially when dealing with Leopold.
- The High Queen: Shes the present ruler.
- Idiot Hair: Has a single green lock that hangs in front of her face, usually subtly but is exaggerated when she's hurried and unkempt. Subverted in the sense that Juno is far from stupid, though she is more laid back than the other royals.
- Modest Royalty: Wears a plain brown dress when browsing through her library, preferring not to wear such elaborate clothes in private.
- Rapunzel Hair: Green hair, at that. Its a typical royal trait, it seems.
- Requisite Royal Regalia: Crown, cape, gown, the works.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair