open/close all folders
Kyouko MogamiThe main character of the series, a 16-year-old girl who vows to get revenge on her ex-true-love by becoming more famous than him.
- Abusive Parents: Her mother is emotionally distant and neglectful, uncaring even when her daughter runs away from home.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Kyouko suffered this throughout her childhood because the other girls were jealous of her relationship with Shou.
- Berserk Button: Anything having to do with Shou.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Kyouko can be very scary when angered or just irritated, as the poor unfortunates who have seen her in that state can testify. The phrase "She is a very scary kind of actress" has become a Leit Motif for everyone who refers to her.
- Bi the Way: Debatable. Kyouko may or may not like Mouko in THAT way. She is certainly a Large Ham for whom a baseless Anguished Declaration of Love is not out of place, but the frequency and severity of some of her Mouko-induced spasms still leads some fans to wonder about her.
- Big Damn Kiss: In the recent arc, she and Ren (as Kuon/Corn) kissed on the lips...
- Brainy Brunette: Before she dyed her hair.
- Broken Bird
- Butt Monkey
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Disappeared Dad: Her dad seems to be deceased. It has been revealed that he tricked her mother and disappeared without ever knowing he had a child.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Mouko certainly does and so do the girls that are doing the "Natsu" drama.
- Expressive Mask: Kyouko is naturally very expressive. Kyouko in a giant chicken suit somehow manages to be even more expressive.
- Extreme Doormat: At the beginning, when she used to live with Shou.
- Fiery Redhead: Kyouko is indeed strong, passionate (though not in a romantic sense), outgoing, usually outspoken. She is particularly determined with regards to her career.
- Friendless Background: At first, thanks to Shou girls always hated her and she didn't seem to be particularly friendly with guys. Thankfully she starts getting real friendships as the story progresses.
- Go-Getter Girl: Kyouko will know no limits in achieving her goals.
- Important Haircut: The transformation from Shou's free servant to Sho's rival. Also what she does once she creates her first own character, "Mio".
- Haunted Heroine: Kyouko is haunted by a number of little demons that embody her desire for vengeance. An important point of her new life is to get rid of these little monsters so she can fall in love again.
- Heroes Want Redheads: With her hair bleached, Kyouko gains a lot of points with the male cast.
- Hot-Blooded: Kyouko does NOTHING by halves.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Maria.
- Laughing Mad: How she first reacts to hearing what Sho really thinks about her and when she's having an Imagine Spot thinking about finally getting her revenge on him (or anyone else that has slighted her) she generally ends up this way.
- Large Ham
- Love Martyr: Before her breakup with Shou, she sacrificed everything for him and got nothing in return.
- Magnetic Hero: She has a habit of turning would-be female rivals into good friends.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Peeling radishes, putting a thumbtack in the wall, tossing a packet of salt – the more trivial the action, the more epic she'll make it.
- Naïve Everygirl: In the beginning. The first part still fits, though she's not an "everygirl" anymore.
- Ocular Gushers
- Plucky Girl
- Psychic Powers: Those little demons aren't metaphorical.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Whenever she gets into costume for a film shoot.
- Stepford Smiler: During her relationship with Shou, Kyouko made a concerted effort to never cry in front of him because she knew it upset him. When she worked in his family's ryokan she hid her feelings to not let the customers know she was upset. Which is one of the reasons why they wanted her to inherit the ryokan.
- Tsundere: Type A to Ren. Though it's partially because Sho made her a Woman Scorned by taking advantage of her kindness and because Ren was Sho's rival.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Kyouko was this towards her mother, and then later towards Shou’s parents.
- Woman Scorned: What kicks off the plot for her.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: A played for drama version. She had the strength of will to put up with a shitty life to support Shou without complaining. After the break up, she put that inner iron to a different use.
- Yandere: A rare heroic version of this.
Shoutarou "Shou" FuwaChildhood friend and past love interest of Kyouko, and now the object of her quest for revenge.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Shou starts out as a straight example, but is quickly deconstructed when Kyouko realizes what a negative effect he’s had on her life; prompting her revenge quest.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Shou appears cool and loving to his fans (and to Kyouko for a time), but he in fact is an egotistical, selfish, and emotionally immature brat.
- Chick Magnet: Even as far back as kindergarten, Shou was very popular with the girls, to the point where they bullied Kyouko out of jealousy.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: He acts like one towards Kyoko after recognizing some feelings for her burrowed deep inside him.
- Embarrassing First Name: Shou's real name is Shoutaro, which he considers old-fashioned and unsuitable for his pop star career. Probably also influenced by the widespread awareness of the origins.
- Forceful Kiss: Chapter 145.
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: He only becomes attracted to Kyouko after she dumps him and swears to get revenge on him.
- Idol Singer
- It's All About Me: To an extreme.
- Jerkass <-> Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He jumps between the two but remains more of a jerkass. His kindness is shown in the Dark Moon arc toward Kyoko but because she constantly attacks him when he really is trying to be nice to her, he ends up lashing back and goes back to being a jerk.
- Likes Older Women: He does seem to be very fond of both Shoko and "Miruki".
- Man Child: Wether by choice or not, he really needs someone to take care of him.
- The Vamp: Sexy, villainous, and very good at manipulating women, even his vengeful ex.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Once dresses up as a silver-haired demon. Needless to say, it fits his personality well.
Ren Tsuruga Kuon HizuriThe most popular man in the show business, a talented actor, and a senior member of the talent agency that Kyouko joins.
- Almost Kiss: The incident in Ren's kitchen in the Dark Moon arc made a lot of fangirls squee.
- Berserk Button: Don't toss Kyouko to the ground. Just... don't.
- Big Damn Kiss: In the recent arc, Ren (as Kuon/Corn) asked Kyouko to kiss him on the lips... and she did it...
- Bishie Sparkle: Subverted/inverted, since Ren only sparkles when he's angry. Conversely, during scenes where you'd expect the sparkles to appear, he favors the Love Bubbles.
- Biseinen: He's pretty, make no mistake, but he's a little too big and mature to qualify as a straight bishonen.
- Broken Ace: Ren is a bit of a psychological wreck underneath his perfect public persona.
- But Not Too Foreign: He is only one quarter Japanese.
- Chick Magnet: The number 1 Chick Magnet in all of Japan, much to Shou's displeasure.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: with a bit of Insane Troll Logic. Most apparent in his youth but the traits are still there.
- Defrosting Ice King
- Dogged Nice Guy: Towards Kyouko, who is sadly Oblivious to Love.
- Doting Parent: To the point he just has to escape from his home, and even his birth country, to free himself from the excess of attention.
- Forgets to Eat: To the point that Yashiro and Kyouko regularly have to force him to have dinner.
- He's Got Legs: The ridiculous length of his legs does not go uncommented upon.
- Like Father, Like Son: Though it initially doesn't look like it, but Ren/Kuon possesses the same Insane Troll Logic as Kuu.
- Master of the Mixed Message: Something that inevitably leaves Kyouko confused.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Nice Guy
- Forgotten Childhood Friend: To Kyouko. He remembers, she doesn’t- or more accurately, she doesn't realize it was him. She does instantly recognize him though when his natural hair and eye color are visible.
- Lady Killer In Love: In the past, he'd change girlfriends like socks, although he always got dumped because he did not understand love, but now he's genuinely in love for the first time, with Kyouko.
- Secret Identity Identity: It's hard to say, after years of acting a gentleman, how much of Ren's real personality remained in him, and how much is just a persona he created.
- Shirtless Scene
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Technically a Smile: Ren’s "lying gentlemanly smile," which can reduce Kyouko to a puddle of Ocular Gushers.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: Becomes a major plot point in the Dark Moon act, where he has difficulty with a role for the first time in years because he doesn't really understand the concept of love.
- When He Smiles: His real smiles are too divine for mortal eyes... Kyouko's little demons die instantly if they are exposed to those smiles.
Kanae "Mouko" KotonamiKyouko's rival-turned-best-friend and the second person to join the "Love Me" team.
- Affectionate Nickname: "Mouko-san"
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl
- Broken Bird
- Death Glare: She can give a really nasty one to people who deserve it.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Since she is the Only Sane Man in her family she is obviously the Responsible Sibling, which means that she takes care of her older siblings' children and also said older siblings.
- Friendless Background: One of her similarities with Kyouko.
- Hero of Another Story: She's a talented actress who's getting roles of her own and developing as an actress just like Kyoko, but because we're following Kyoko's story, we only see Kanae every now and then when her story intersects with Kyoko's.
- Massive Numbered Siblings
- Not So Different: Noticing that she and Kyouko share many traits and have a similar way of thinking prompts her to warm up to her.
- Promotion to Parent: Her de-facto role in her family because her parents are prone to Hands-Off Parenting and her older siblings have their own families to care for (and are also Hands-Off Parents anyway). It doesn't help that she's the only one in the family who is at all responsible when it comes to money and she's stuck paying the bills for her entire family.
- The Rival: At first towards Kyouko, but they later become good friends. She has always being Erika Kouenji's rival.
- Shotacon: Her interactions with the 11, and later 12-year-old Hiou are more than a little suspect. Don't worry, she's not sleeping with a minor, and it's hard to imagine her ever even considering it, but all signs point to her reciprocating his Precocious Crush on her.
- Sparkling Streams Of Tears: Her ability to cry on-command was one of her original selling-points as an actress.
- Technician vs. Performer: Underscored in their first interaction, where during tryouts Kanae would do something the judges were expecting with great precision, while Kyouko would do something original and unique.
- Tsundere: Towards Kyouko.
- Verbal Tic: "Mou," hence her nickname.
Lory TakaradaThe eccentric director of LME, the agency that Kyouko joins.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He may seem like an eccentric rich idiot to the unaware, but there’s a good reason why LME is THE most successful talent agency there is and why he’s so well respected by pretty much anyone that knows him beyond his image. He can also read people like open books, being well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of all his talents (this being the main reason he created LoveMe to begin with); and in particular, he was well aware of Ren’s lacking skills for love acting and also realized he had fallen for Kyoko after just one look at his expression towards her.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Grandpa What Massive Hotness You Have: He seems to be in his forties at most... But he already has a granddaughter.
- Love Freak: LOVE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!
- The Matchmaker: Sometimes.
- Serious Business: Lory takes otome games very seriously.
- Uncle Pennybags
- UnlimitedWardrobe/CostumePorn: Every day is a costume party for Lory.
Maria TakaradaLory's young granddaughter who befriends Kyouko. She likes all things related to the occult.
- Broken Bird
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Anyone who makes a pass at Ren had better be prepared to endure Maria’s wrath.
- Creepy Child: Played for laughs.
- The Cutie
- Expy: She shares the same name of a certain girl who is obsessed with magic and loves Beatrice.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Kyouko.
- Lonely Rich Kid
- Missing Mom: Her mother, who was a famous model, died in a plane accident... Maria had asked her to come visit her for her birthday.
- Nightmare Fetishist
- Oneesama: Considers Kyouko to be her "Onee-sama".
- Precocious Crush: She really likes Ren.
Yukihito YashiroRen's manager and one of the people closest to him. He supports the idea of Ren and Kyouko getting together. For some odd reason electronics break down when he touches them for more than ten seconds.
- Big Brother Mentor: He is one of the people closest to Ren, so he gives him advice and jokes with him. Ren is quite open with him.
- Dead Pan Snarker: Sometimes, particularly around Ren.
- Keet: Not small or colorful, but indeed hyperactive and regularly loud when in fangirl mode.
- Meganekko: Well, for a given value of "-ko", anyway.
- Nice Guy
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Ren/Kyoko very enthusiastically.
- Walking Techbane: If he holds a cell phone in his bare hands for more than ten seconds, it will break. He's even used this to his advantage, to try and get information out of Ren.
Takenori SawaraHe's a part of LME. and was "tormented" by Kyouko into getting her into an audition. He's actually very supportive, despite Kyoko's penchant for tripping her own idol career up.
Voiced by: Kenji Hamada
Jelly WoodsA beautician and hairdresser, in the world of cosmetics she is known as "The Witch" and only close friends are allowed to call her by her real name, "Ten". She is aware that Ren is not a native Japanese, but she doesn't seem to know that he is the son of Hizuri Kuu.
- Affectionate Nick Name: Kyouko calls her "Muse".
- In Series Nick Name: She is called "The Witch" in the cosmetics world.
- Older Than She Looks: She in her thirties yet she looks like a teenager.
- Self-Proclaimed Love Interest: She says that Lory is her boyfriend, and calls him "darling". He doesn't deny it but he hasn't confirmed it either.
Hiroaki OgataA young director who's trying desperately to get out of his father's shadow. He decides to do it by filming "Dark Moon", the remake of a classic from 20 years ago "Tsukigomori", which was one of his father's most famous works. He casts Kyouko as "Mio" after Asami Haruki shows him the PV she directed.
Voiced by: Yoshinori Fujita
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: He could pass a woman if he wanted to.
- Fragile Flower: Prone to panicking over even small setbacks. He once even fainted during an interview because he couldn't handle an Armor-Piercing Question.
- Generation Xerox: To the point that he's somewhat disturbed by it."I respected my father, and always thought I wanted to become like him, so I was happy in the beginning, but... "Your likes are the same." "Your hobbies are the same." "Your artistic style is the same." When it seemed like I was always being told that I was imitating my father, I became disturbed.
- I Am Not My Father
- Important Haircut: Oddly enough, he falls under this trope despite not being the one who got the haircut. When Kyouko got her hair cut as part of her reimagining of Mio, the impact of her new take on an old character was so forceful that it cured Ogata's Fragile Flower tendencies, ignited his drive to succeed, and woke up his creativity and confidence.
- Nice Guy
- Ocular Gushers: Even though he is seen crying far fewer times than Kyoko, in the anime his total tear output very likely rivals her own what with him having created two different raging seas with his tears!.
- Platonic Life Partners: Refers to Haruki as his best friend.
- Princely Young Man
- Shipper on Deck: He seems to ship Kyouko x Ren... Though he is confused by Kyouko and Shou's interactions.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He's regularly mistaken for his father, director Hirotaka Date. He's not very happy about this.
- Turn Out Like His Father: Hiroaki is struggling to find an identity that doesn't just appear to be a shallow clone of his father's.
Hiroko IizukaThe actress who played "Mio" in the original Tsukigomori, and is now playing Mio's mother in Dark Moon. At first she is against Kyouko playing the part, as she felt that she wouldn't be able to do justice to the character who made her famous.
Voiced by: Mari Yokoo
- Star-Making Role: In universe this was the case for her when she played Mio in Tsukigomori 20 years ago, to the point that she even says that "Mio" is like her second name.
Itsumi MomoseItsumi is a popular young actress, who is casted to play the role of '"Mizuki'", the heroine, in Dark Moon. She and Kyouko become friends.
Voiced by: Hitomi Nabatame
- All Love Is Unrequited: She seems to have developed feelings for Ren, more exactly after he finally mastered his characterization of Katsuki, proving once again that Ren is really "a co-star killer".
- Cool Big Sis: After she befriends Kyouko, she acts this way towards her.
- Long Hair Is Feminine
- Nice Girl
- The Rival: At first seems to see Ren as a rival in a sort of "Worthy Opponent way".
- Worthy Opponent: She considers Ren and later Kyouko to be this. Her reasoning is because even though Kyouko is an amateur actress her characterization of Mio is at a professional level, making it acting as Mizuki with her quite fluid and its always according to what the director expects and they don't have to retake scenes.
Supporting Characters - Others
Shoko AkiShou's manager.
Voiced by: Natsuki Rio
- Beleaguered Assistant
- Buxom Is Better: Shou certainly seems to think so.
- Cool Big Sis: Acts this way with both Shou and Kyouko.
- Nice Girl
- Liz Lemon Job: Most of her page-time is spent trying to keep Shou and Kyoko from bumping into each other. She is rarely successful.
- Shipper on Deck: While Yashiro ships Kyoko/Ren, Shoko ships Shou/Kyoko.
Haruki AsamiHaruki is Shou's producer at Akatoki Agency (Queen Records). She gives Kyouko a role in one of Sho's P Vs. She is good friends with Hiroaki Ogata.
Voiced by: Ayumi Tsunematsu
- Affectionate Nickname: Shou calls her "Miruki"/Milky, most likely he got the nickname mixing "Mi" from Asami and the "Ruki" from Haruki.
- Buxom Is Better
- Gender-Blender Name: Haruki is considered a masculine name.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Ogata.
Mimori NanokuraA young actress/model who goes to the same school as Kyouko. She comes from the same agency as Shou (Akatoki Agency). Since she is in love with him she is delighted to be cast to star at his music PV.
- Affectionate Nickname: Shou changes "Mimo" for "Pochi" (a common dog's name) and creates: "Pochiri".
- Buxom Is Better
- Clingy Jealous Girl: To Shou. She is really jealous of his relationship with Kyouko and resents their closeness.
- Hime Cut
- Third-Person Person
ReinoFrontman of the band Vie Ghoul, Shou look-alike, and creepy stalker/ would-be rapist.
- Attempted Rape: On Kyouko.
- Beauty Mark
- Corrupt the Cutie: What he wants to do to Kyouko.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Even Reino is creeped out by all the bad vibes stored in Kyoko's Corn stone.
- Femme Fatalons: Has the male equivalent.
- Hellish Pupils
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Does it to Kyouko.
- In Love with Your Carnage: Sort of; he only gets interested in Kyouko when he sees her grudge-demons and witnesses her using them to beat up Sho.
- An Odd Place to Sleep: He appears to sleep in a coffin filled with flowers.
- Psychic Powers: He seems to have some form of ESP.
- Stalker with a Crush: Towards Kyoko.
- The Vamp: Even Vamp-ier than Shou.
- White Hair, Black Heart
- Woman in Black: Again, he's the male version of this.
Kuu HizuriFamous Japanese actor who starred in the original Tsukigomori as "Katsuki". Ren's father.
- Adorkable: His Doting Parent aspects can be very endearing.
- Big Eater: A meal for 50 people gone in an hour.
- But Not Too Foreign: Half-American.
- Doting Parent: At one point, his gushing over his son's many virtues takes the form of a speech bubble full of sparkles. No words, just sparkles.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Happily Married
- Jerkass Façade: When Kyouko first meets him.
- Like a Son to Me: Even after Kyouko's assignment to impersonate Kuu's son is finished, he invites her to continue calling him "Father."
- Parental Substitute: To Kyouko.
- Real Men Cook
- That Man Is Dead: He used a business name "Shuuhei Hozu" to perform, but as he started to get more and more famous he chose to go back to his real name. But since he considered his alias an important part of himself and couldn't part with it just like that... He decided to give a REAL funeral for it.
- Beneath the Mask: Keeps a diary where she writes down her genuine feelings about people.
- Former Child Star: Even changed her name to avoid being only known as "the girl who played Akari".
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Feels bitter towards Kyoko's fast rising in show business. Since she's been in the same business for four years, Chiori feels like her efforts hardly paid off.
- The Resenter
- Stepford Smiler