Characters: Rusty and Co.
Major characters in Rusty and Co.
open/close all folders
Three stalwart Monster Adventurers
who decided that this life was better than sticking around in the dungeon.
The charismatic Mimic is, despite the title, the main character.
- Ambiguous Gender: Used as a one-off joke where a siren is waiting to seduce some random male humanoid.
- Chest Monster: Unusually, he seems to be subpar in the combat department, though he does have the characteristic toughness (see Iron Butt Monkey below).
- A Dog Named Dog: A mimic named Mimic.
- Face Palm: No, Mimic has neither face nor palm. Yes, he can still facepalm nonetheless.
- Glamour Failure: Mimic's lips are visible regardless of his form.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Parodied: both angels advise him to do the exact same thing — Violence Really Is the Answer — just phrasing it differently. He even lampshades it, saying "Aren't you two supposed to disagree?"
- Iron Butt Monkey: He gets hurt pretty often, but usually only seems mildly inconvenienced by it, even when fully pierced by a massive spike. Maybe he can shapeshift new organs to replace the damaged ones?
- Lantern Jaw of Justice: Of all people, Mimic has one.
- Medium Awareness
- Only Sane Man: Well, Only Sane Mimic.
- Shapeshifter Default Form: Mimic can technically takes the shape of any "inanimate" object, but he's most commonly seen as a treasure chest with a large, toothy mouth and red lips.
- Speech Bubbles Interruption: Mimic has a tendency to do this. Or to have it done to him, alternatively.
An absurdly cute rust monster whose favorite line is "Eat [metallic object]?"
The silent yet deadly Gelatinous Cube
Every level thus far has featured an female character who connects and adventures with them. After the first three, the girls also started reappearing.
A human monk (with a few levels in Dungeonmaster's Girlfriend
), the princess is anything but a damsel in distress.
Dame Madeline Goodlaw (a.k.a. Madeline the Paladin)
A human paladin, who makes up for her lack of intelligence with superior fighting ability... most of the time.
An elven bard who was raised by barbarians.
A cheerful halfling rogue, who likes treasure.
An overeager human wizard, who works as a law enforcement official for the Princess. Easily excitable.
Y.T. (formerly known as Yuan-Tiffany)
A lamia (formerly a yuan-ti) with red braids and a distinctive Western accent. Notable for working both against and with the group at different points.
These guys are generally evil, when they aren't being funny.
The ultimately cliché Evil Sorcerer
, much to his detriment.
- Arch-Enemy: To the Princess, for having kidnapped her and moreso for having killed her wight boyfriend.
- Collapsing Lair: Attempts to destroy the party by bringing his lair down on their heads, but the Cube intervenes just on time.
- Evil Gloating
- Evil Laugh
- Evil Sorcerer: Revels in this.
- The Faceless
- Failed a Spot Check: Calamitus turns missing the obvious into an art form. His first appearance saw him spying on the heroes using a crystal ball, and completely failing to notice they're standing right in front of him. Another appearance has him brainwashing civilians and sending them to attack the Princess. He starts gloating about how she is alignment-bound from harming innocents, and when he finally pays a look at the room, let's just say he understands he has misjudged her alignment a bit.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom
- Harmless Villain: Played with. Even though he is not a very smart villain, he is a powerful enough sorcerer to present some challenge to the group. He is also very hard to kill due to his necromantic powers.
- In the Hood
- Large Ham: He seems to be absolutely incapable of talking without hamming it up.
- Laughably Evil: Oh yes.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Another staple of the standard cliche evil sorcerer.
- Necromancer: How he was able to turn Whitey. Considering that he came back after being eaten by Cube, it is probably safe to assume he's also a lich.
- Shock and Awe
- Warmup Boss: The first villain the party encounters, and not a very good one at that. He takes a slight level in badass by the time the group reaches level 4, but is still as silly as ever.
A dwarven pirate with an unusually odd-colored beard.
A charming gnoll bandit with a killer smile. Literally.
Leader of the illithid mafia.
A brother and sister, and oh so hip.