Characters of the anime/manga Kekkaishi.
open/close all folders
- Barrier Warrior: Shield and club, really.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He gets worked up often over minor things, and is a little too preoccupied with cake, but he's good at making Ayakashi explode.
- Casting Gag: His reactions over being called short will be very familiar to those watching the dub.
- Determinator: Boundless energy and drive is his greatest strength. It's pointed out by his Madarou.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It doesn't take much to set him off. It's especially noticable next to the much more serene Tokine.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Inverted, "A lion boils even a rabbit with all its strength!" He goes all out, even on puny Ayakashi.
- Idiot Hero: Somewhat. In most series he'd probably be considered a fairly smart fighter; he just stands out here because everyone else fights very intelligently and he tends to fight through instinct and pure power too often. His older brother and Tokine are the major foils.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die I Let Gen Die: He blames himself for being able to save Gen, and uses this as his motivation for revenge.
- Likes Older Women: Yoshimori likes older girl Tokine. Later in the manga, he saves another girl of similar age from a high fall and she briefly becomes his Stalker with a Crush. This has led to others accusing him of preferring older girls. The previous name for this trope, Cake Eater, created a pun because he's also a cake otaku.
- Must Have Caffeine: Or coffee flavored milk.
- My Greatest Failure:
- Allowing Tokine to be injured because of his own mistakes.
- Later, the death of Gen.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Yoshi has only had eyes for only one girl: Tokine.
- Sitting on the Roof: He has a favorite spot to nap and everything.
- Sweet Tooth: All those cakes....
- Trademark Favorite Food: Coffee milk.
- Triple Shifter: Between being a kekkaishi, student and son at home
- Unskilled, but Strong: He has ridiculous amounts of power, but bad aim and form.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Once from Tokine for intentionally getting captured by Kokuboro, forcing his allies to endanger themselves to rescue him, and from Tokiko, minus a slap, for trying to save the school from an Ayakashi swarm with a technique he had NO IDEA how to use and probably would have ended up killing everyone.
Voiced by: Rie Saitou (Japanese), Laura Bailey (English)
- Action Girl: Strikes down Ayakashi every night.
- Barrier Warrior: Part of her Character Development is shifting from standard barriers to daggers that hold Ayakashi in place because this better reflects her natural skills.
- Brainy Brunette: She's highly intelligent.
- Combat Pragmatist: Observe the enemy, find any weaknesses, and then bring them down at the first opportunity.
- Cry Cute: In the final episode when Anger Born of Worry kicks in.
- Disappeared Dad: Her dad dies pre-series.
- Scars Are Forever: Has one on her hand after protecting Yoshimori from a demon.
- Skirt over Slacks
- Tsundere: Mild version. Alternates between fanship fodder moments with Yoshimori, treating him as a coworker/classmate, treating him like a kid brother, treating him like an annoying kid brother, beating him up for annoying her, and beating him up while crying her eyes out for worrying him, then playing the trope as straight as possible by beating him up while trying to apologize to him.
- Weak, but Skilled: She doesn't have Yoshimori's endless energy or sheer power but she has far greater accuracy and skill in manipulating Kekkai. The logical conclusion is that her signature style switches from giant Kekkai that she implodes around Ayakashi too small, to thin Kekkai that she uses to stab them and hold them in place.
- Why Did It Have To Be Cockroaches: She's terrified of cockroaches. Probably not helped by the bug Ayakashi that scarred her hand as a child, but fear of cockroaches also runs in the family.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: The rest of the school thinks she is. The main characters and her best friend know better. However, she does perform tea ceremonies with her grandmother in traditional clothing.
Voiced by: Youhei Tadano (Japanese), David Lodge (English)
- Badass Grandpa: When the Ayakashi become too much for the kids to handle, he steps in.
- Barrier Warrior: He can make Kekkai too.
- Cool Old Guy: A loud Old Soldier with Einstein Hair.
- Expy: He looks like a fusion of Dr. Wily and Makarov.
- Generation Xerox: Subtract the cake fascination and he was just like Yoshimori at his age.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: Tokiko. They bicker every morning.
Voiced by: Mayumi Tanaka (Japanese), Barbara Goodson (English)
- Barrier Warrior: She can make kekkai too.
- Cool Old Lady: She is both wise and mischievous.
- Generation Xerox: As a teenager, she was just as aloof and focused as her granddaughter. She's grown mischievous in her old age.
- I Was Quite a Looker: When she was her granddaughter's age, she had her granddaughter's beauty.
- Never Mess with Granny: Yoshimori can't keep up with her.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: Shigemori. She sprays him with a hose.
Voiced by: Miyuki Kawasho (Japanese), Dorothy Elias Fahn (English)
- Deadpan Snarker: His older brother's antics provide plenty of fuel for sarcasm.
- Dissonant Serenity: Due to his older brother's frequent quarrels with their grandfather, living in the Sumimura house is somewhat hectic, but he and his father rarely take notice.
- Satellite Character: He doesn't really stand out compared to his older brothers.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: He takes after his dad.
- The Ace: He has beat down god class spirit with ease.
- Fluffy Tamer: Tamed monsters so well that they still serve his apprentices' families centuries later.
- Intangible Man
- Luke, I Am Your Father For Chushinmaru.
- My God, What Have I Done?: His reaction to What his spells did to Chushinmaru.
- Shrouded in Myth
- Star-Crossed Lovers
The Night Troops
Voiced by: Atsushi Miyauchi (Japanese), Patrick Seitz (English)
- Aloof Big Brother
- Authority Equals Asskicking: As the leader of the night troops, as well as the 6th seat on the heads of the Shadow Organization
- Bad Powers, Good People: He mastered the Zekkai, which runs off of rejecting the world around you. He's still one of the heroes of the story.
- Badass He has Yoshimori's level of power combined with Tokine's maturity and skill.
- Deuteragonist: His story in the Shadow Organization is just as important as Yoshimori's adventures.
- Legendary Carp: His partner, Kurohime, is a giant black koi that swims through the air.
- The Leader: of the Night Troops. He's either Type Charismatic or Mastermind; his troops seem to like him but he often acts as a heroic mastermind to counter the more villainous elements in the Shadow Organization.
- Good Is Not Nice
- Manipulative Bastard: It's necessary to counter the villainous aspects of the Shadow Organization.
- Supporting Leader: He leads troops against the director's army. He then kills both the director and his brother.
- Token Good Teammate: For the Shadow Organization.
Voiced by: Eiji Miyashita (Japanese), Grant George (English)
- Character Death: Impaled by Kaguro.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Was bullied and abused by his brothers, and nearly killed most of his family.
- Defrosting Ice King
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half Ayakashi.
- Healing Factor: As a half ayakkashi, he has one. This is greatly enhanced by Karasumori
- Loners Are Freaks
- Power Limiter: His tattoo, which burns him if he starts trying to overuse his Ayakashi powers.
- Sacrificial Lion: He was Killed Off for Real just when it looked like he would form a Power Trio with the others.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Super-Powered Evil Side: His Full form initially the only time he has control of it completely is just before his death
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Wolf Man: His Ayakashi form is that of a humanoid wolf.
- Bishōnen: The girls at school love him.
- Berserk Button: He's not happy to be compared to a woman.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady:
- The bane of his existence. Also makes some of the male bonding scenes between him and Yoshimori even more confusing.
- The tengu also temporally gave him breasts. He was not amused.
- Femme Fatalons: Male example
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Handsome Lech
- The Smart Guy: From time to time, Yoshimori decides that his best plan is to tell Sen what his goals are and then do whatever Sen says.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Can be alternatively spelled Zen.
- Telepathy: Limited by several things. Kekkaishi and possibly some other ability users block it and even detect or interfere with it. It also provokes a red right hand in the form of his eyes flashing demonic when he uses it. This is worse than it sounds as he needs to be close for it to work. Lastly, Zen is afraid that he will be ostracized even by the other Yagyou if they find out he is able to read their minds, so he does his best to conceal his ability, even when he has information that he desperately would like to share.
- Action Girl
- Bears Are Bad News: Her partner, Raizou, is a giant electric bear Ayakashi.
- Brainy Brunette: Her intelligence is what makes her a great teacher.
- Captain Ersatz: Atora is apparently a Pokémon trainer who got lost and ended up in the Yagyou.
- Genki Girl
- Hot Teacher: To Gen.
- Marshmallow Hell: To Gen.
- Pink Means Feminine
- Sexy Mentor: To Gen
- Token Minority
- Trickster Mentor: To Gen
- The Tease: To both Gen and Yoshimori.
The Shadow Organization
The Sousui/Oumi Nichinaga
How to best describe this sadistic Really 700 Years Old demon? For starters he lost his memory and is always trying to get it back, and at the same time wants some sweet revenge on that evil big brother of his. How does he want to go about this? KILL EVERYONE IN THE URAKAI. Together with his Numbered minions, he masterminds and manipulates events behind the scenes as The King, an aged man, and as his current container, a young boy.
- Abel And Cain: You might think Yumeji/Tsukihisa is the Abel to his Cain at first. Turns out, in comparison, Tsukihisa is much, much worse than Nichinaga could ever be.
- Alas, Poor Villain: When his real motivations and the circumstances were revealed, it was VERY difficult not to feel sorry for him.
- Big Bad
- Body Double: He has the old body for communicating with members, while his main body was a child
- Dimension Lord: After Okuni's death, Nichinaga took possession of her seashell pendant, which she appeared to use as a focus for some of her techniques. He has been seen using the eye-shaped portals Okuni commonly used for viewing.
- Enfant Terrible/ Evil Old Folks: He's both a scary brat and an old man at the same time, it's very complicated.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: It might not look like it, but he adores his minions and especially Suigetsu. Oh, especially Suigetsu.
- Evil vs. Evil: With his brother
- Grand Theft Me: Both Nichinaga and his brother are able to forcibly take over the bodies of others, transferring their own minds into a new body. They have survived this way for centuries, taking over other ability users in order to gain a second power. However, repeated use of this ability causes the memory of the user to gradually deteriorate.
- Heel Realization: When his big brother possesses his favorite minion and sets wheels of plots in motion to make him essentially lose everything again, he remembers, its reveal bombed what happened, Nichinaga repents with death.
- Hellish Pupils: With two irises in fact, that make him seriously unnerving.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Mass Hypnosis: Uses this to steal the Ougi family's army.
- Omnicidal Maniac: His response to his brother's schemes is to kill everyone in the orgainzation
- Redemption Equals Death: He decides to repent for all his wrong doings by taking his unbelievably evil brother to death with him.
- Suicide by Cop: He kills himself and his brother by tossing them both into Masamori's Zekkai.
- Sugar and Ice: To Suigetsu. He loves her, a lot. He just really doesn't show it much until the end.
- Taken for Granite: Though rarely seen doing so, Nichinaga could control earth while in the King's body, easily raising protective barriers out of the ground that are capable of regenerating rapidly if damage
The Council of Twelve'
Tropes Associated With The Council Of Twelve
- Authority Equals Asskicking: You must have absolute mastery of supernatural powers in order to be a member, they also are the twelve heads above everyone in the organization, only the Sousui is above them
- Bigger Bad: During the Kokubourou
- Face Framed in Shadow: A lot of them before they were each revealed
- Karma Houdini: Because the anime was cut short, members, especially Ichirou never got the comeuppance that occurs in the manga
- The Omniscient Council of Vagueness: Initially they were this as all of them were shrouded in darkness
- We Have Reserves: They have a total lack of regard to the deaths of their men which infuriates Masamori
JuhoThe 12th seat of the group
- Brutal Honesty: Juho is very blunt
- Finishing Move: Dragon Hole, uho draws a hole upon the ground and stands upon it creating a network of smaller holes extending from the main one. He can make fire any number of energy pillars from the holes. These energy pillars extend far up into the sky. The more spiritually powerful the land is the more powerful and limitless the dragon pulses he summons are
- Taken for Granite: Juho uses earth-based magic which requires him to be in direct contact with the ground. To preform his spells he essentially align himself with the dragon pulses of the earth and manipulate that power
Konozuka KiheiThe 11th seat of the group
- Informed Ability: He was a member of the top officials in the Shadow Organization, yet does nothing to show it before being killed off by Schihirou
- Malevolent Masked Man: He wears a fox mask
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Gets the least characterization of the twelve and then gets killed off after his introduction
Tsumugi KazuchikaThe 10th seat of the group
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Tsumugi has a somewhat whimsical nature: he is generally in a good mood and enjoys making small jokes or laughing to himself, but he's one of the twelve for obvious reasons
- Puppet Master: Inanimate objects touched by Tsumugi's hair spring to life and form enormous puppets that do his bidding
OkuniThe 9th seat of the group
- Ambiguously Evil: While she has traded her humanity for knowledge in the past, she also values order and the safety of normal humans
- She is also very worried about how Karasumori might be very dangerous and requests that the heirs should train in order to better control it
- Awesome by Analysis: She has been shown to be a very observant person on several occasions
- Badass Bookworm: With her vast intelligence and extensive archives, there were few subjects that she was unfamiliar with.
- Black Cloak: Nothing except her eyes are shown
- The Hedonist: Okuni lived to discover the truth behind any mystery that caught her attention.
- Dimension Lord: Okuni is able to manipulate dimensions like Kekkaishi, but she uses it in a different way. She is capable of opening eye-shaped portals, which are used for remote viewing, as well as focusing tremendous amount of power on a target
- Killed Off for Real
- Off Screen Villainy: It was rumored that in order to be able to learn everything in the world, Okuni attempted several rituals to keep herself from aging and dying.
- The Red Baron: The Puzzle Eater
Ichirou OgiThe 8th seat of the group
- Arch-Nemesis: Masamori's first one in the Shadow Organization, the feelings' mutual
- Asshole Victim: Killed offscreen by his brother, Shichirou, but he's such a jerk that no one mourns when he dies
- Bad Boss: Kills his own men in his fight with Masamori
- Bigger Bad: His cooperation with Byaku which allows Kaguro to gain information to unnerve Gen resulting his death and the following influences over the following events prior his death, make him this
- Blow You Away
- Body Horror: He's actually a lump of flesh of seven siblings merged into one body.
- Collective Identity: Ichirou is actually a collection of seven siblings forcibly merged together into one body, with Ichirou as the dominant persona.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: By his own brother no less
- Fat Bastard
- Humanoid Abomination: Overlooking the fact that he is a collection of seven siblings lumped together in one body.
- Jerk Ass: He kills his own men and then swifts the blame to Masamori
- Killed Off for Real
- Large and In Charge
- Manipulative Bastard: He's the reason Kaguro got the information to unnerve Gen enough via Ichirou's conversation with Byaku leading to his death, he's also manipulated other people with little regards to the public if they caught in the crossfire
- Malevolent Masked Man: Justified it hides the fact he's really a lump of seven siblings stacked together/
- Sharing a Body: The secret of Ichirou's power is that he's a collection of seven siblings working as one.
MudouThe former 7th seat of the group
- Back from the Dead: Repeatedly. Is still alive, although without his powers.
- Bishonen Line: Starts out as a middle-aged old man, changes to a distinctly more attractive twentyish year old (with cool boots), then finally to a cute kid.
- Broken Pedestal: To Masamori when he sees his teacher becoming a self-absorbed ayakkashi
- Cold-Blooded Torture: He loves his torture. Especially when its on Masamori.
- Death Is Cheap: His power allows this. His nickname isn't the immortal for no reason.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: How can a ball kill someone? Mudou knows every single way!
- He Who Fights Monsters: Started out in the Urakai whose job was to stop Ayakashi from killing people. He then became an Ayakashi and started killing people.
- The Red Baron: Mudou the Immortal.
Kagen ShiromiThe 6th seat of the group
- Authority Equals Asskicking:
- Living Weapon: Kurosame. Described as a curse-power ability, which manifests itself as a black threads which compose the blade, coming from the hilt of the sword. These black threads are incredibly strong and can cut through even the tough nigh-invulnerable exterior of the Kurokabuto Ayakashi. The threads can extend at will and entangle an opponent and slice through it with ease with precision through the use of bold strokes. He talks to the sword denoting that it maybe sentient
Kusariba GaijiThe 5th seat of the group
MeianThe 4th seat of the group
- Bald of Evil
- Evil Old Folks
- Killed Off for Real: By Schichirou
- Mad Scientist: He experiments on humans on his free time
- People Puppets: He can control people
'''TatsukiThe 3rd seat of the group
- One-Winged Angel: She can turn into a dragon with tiger stripes, unfortunately, it also leaves her naked once she turns back
- Really 300 Years Old
- Scaled Up: As a tiger stripped dragon
- Shock and Awe
- The Tease: To Masamori
Nura Kidoin'The 2nd seat of the group
- Authority Equals Asskicking: As the second highest ranking member of the group later as the new commander after the death of the co-founders
- Cool Old Lady
- Extreme Doormat
- A Mother To Her Men: The reason her subordinates show such Undying Loyalty to her
- Fluffy Tamer: Nura is a master demon tamer. Her control over Oni is so complete that she can command an entire army of them simply by being in the same local vicinity. Just by being near her, oni naturally desire to serve her and no matter what happens, they will not betray her. The oni are simply happy to give over whatever power they have to offer.
- Fountain of Youth: She can use her ayakkashi servants' powers to make her younger in order to enhance her abilities
- Healing Factor: Drawing out the powers of her servants can allow her to do this.
- Shrinking Violet
- Technical Pacifist
- Token Good Teammate
- Undying Loyalty: Can invoke this onto any ayakkashi just by being near her
'Yumeji Hisaomi/ Tsukihisa Oumi'The chairman of the Council of Twelve and the Sousei's brother. In truth, he was an individual who manipulated his "brother" to adopt and then rewrite his memories to see him as such.
- Abel And Cain: At first it seems he's the Abel to Sousei's Cain it's actually a reverse since Yumeji is far more worse than he could ever be.
- Blondes Are Evil: In his first body at least
- Body Surf: Both Tsukihisa and the Sousui have survived for centuries by taking over the bodies of others. By inhabiting the bodies of powerful ability users, they effectively have access to two abilities at once. Tsukihisa's technique is more advanced than the Sousui's.
- Deader Than Dead: When he and the Sousei are dragged into Masamori's zekkai
- Evil vs. Evil: With the Sousei
- Grand Theft Me: On Zero, and he's been doing this to several bodies over the centuries
- Green Thumb: He has an entire forest under his control, . He has control over the growth and movement of trees, bushes, plants and roots. He can accelerate the growth of branches and vines and manipulate them as though they were appendages to bind and ensnare opponents. He can even finely control moss creating replicas of his own shape. His control even extends to the poison plants can give off.
- The Man Behind the Man: He's the real founder of the Shadow Organization
- Manipulative Bastard: He's this to the Shadow Organization, even to his own brother, the Sousei
Voiced by: Sachiko Kojima (Japanese), Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (English)
- Affably Evil: She doesn't really exhibit much animosity—nowhere near as much as the other Kokubourou, that's for sure. Then we learn that she not only lived with a human man, but even fell in love with him, which is what prompted her study of humans.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: She once maintained her appearance as a human for the man she fell in love with, who was somewhat scared by the appearance of a walking flower in a kimono.
- Berserk Button: A minor one, since Aihi is largely stoical, but it's unwise to discuss just what her relationship with the man from her past was.
- Death by Flashback
- Dissonant Serenity: Enters into this when unleashing her Mind Screw attack on Kaguro.
- Expy: Her human form brings Rukia to mind.
- Healing Factor: As she states during her bout with Kaguro, she can regrow severed vines while in her Ayakashi form.
- Hot Scientist
- Humanity Is Infectious: She gradually gained her interest in humanity from living and falling in love with a human man, which she couldn't quite manifest.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: By about twelve different swords, all running along her torso. Brr.
- Interspecies Romance: Had one in her past, although she rather strongly denies it.
- Man-Eating Plant: Averted, actually; according to Kaguro, Aihi hasn't eaten a human in a long time.
- Monster Sob Story
- Mind Screw: One of the closest descriptions of whatever the hell her ability is in Ayakashi form. Seriously, what was happening there?
- Pinocchio Syndrome: Implied to have this, like the rest of the Kokubourou.
- Redemption Equals Death: She helps save Tokine's life, lets her go when she could easily kill her, and then gets murdered by Kaguro For the Evulz.
- The Stoic
- Token Good Teammate
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: She researches humans to understand them better, as well as her own feelings of attachment to one of them.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Bad Ass
- Extreme Doormat
- Evil Plan: He's The Dragon for Hime but it is his scheming that drives the attempted take over of Karasumori. His goal is using its power to cure Hime and restore her power to what it once was.
- Eye Scream: Just look at his picture.
- Lack of Empathy: He routinely treats Hime, the only being for whom he probably ever felt anything, so coldly, that you would be forgiven for thinking he has some sinister plan for her, and will discard her the instant she's not needed for it anymore (as he treats his minions). Actually, Byaku sincerely wishes to heal Hime, it's just that he so out of touch with others' emotions, that not only his reaction to his wife's bout of depression - after he disfigured her in an attempt to extend her life by magic - was calmly helping her to kill herself. He also fails to see why anyone might object to it.
- Meaningful Name: "White," appropriate for his hair color. It also points back to his old identity; the "shiro" in "Shironuma" also means "white."
- Really 700 Years Old: Though he looks like a man in his early thirties, He's actually nine years older then his friend, Matsudo who is a peer of Yoshimori's grandpa.
- The Stoic
- Transhuman Treachery
- Unholy Matrimony: Implied with the Princess.
- White Hair, Black Heart
- Bad Ass: Creating your own dimension where you can live and having powerful minions on your side, qualifies you for this trope.
- Bad Ass Decay: As the years passed, her power waned to the point that her organization tried to find ways to prolong the collapse of her dimension.
- Big Bad: Of Kokubourou, though it turns out she's not completely evil as Sen states she doesn't have an evil presence.
- Bigger Bad: While Kaguro does have a lot of influence over the arc, one forgets that she's the real mastermind of the conquering of Karasumori land.
- Oh, Crap: When Sen encounters her in the anime, she immediately cringes away from him and whimpers in terror.
- Royal Brat/Spoiled Brat: Acts like a spoiled little princess, despite her age.
- Unholy Matrimony: Implied with Byaku.
- Ax-Crazy: his true form shows that's out of his mind...All the time.
- Bad Ass
- Blood Knight: A subtler one than his more boisterous colleague, Gagin, preferring to mess with others to anger them enough to provide a good fight
- Breaking Speech: Delivers an extremely harsh one to Shishio. Also has the inability of having a conversion that doesn't involve messing the other's head. Fails with Yoshimori because he's too dumb to understand what he's trying to trying to get him to do.
- Captain Ersatz: Very obviously based on Shishio Makoto. It doubles as Fridge Brilliance, Shishio after his death tells his loyal henchmen Hoji, that he'll conquer hell, Since there's a long time between Rurouni Kenshin and Kekkaishi's timeline, it's possible that he did in fact do that, considering his strength, and was awarded the form of a high-ranked demon, (ignoring the anime version where he's a bug eyed freak who got scared of being caught), and began serving Kokubourou out of boredom. Since no one in his time was really an equal to him, he began to search for the one person who can truly give the "feeling" of having his life on the line, especially since he can beat most demons on a reflex.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Believe it or not. He kills off two of his surviving subordinates when they take Tokine hostage, scolding them for their "lack of aesthetic".
- Expy: His bandaged form looks remarkably similar to Makoto Shisio from Rurouni Kenshin.
- The Heavy: A lot of Kaguro's actions made him more important to the plot than even the leader's goals. Hime's neutral true nature also shows him to be the driving force and personal antagonist to Yoshimori
- Hero Killer: He killed Gen
- Knight of Cerebus: he killed Gen, and the story gets noticeably Darker and Edgier from there.
- In the Back: How he kills Aihi and more notably, Gen
- Psycho for Hire: Blatantly obvious as the most unstable member, likely only hired for muscle and assassination work
- Sixth Ranger: Kaguro does not fit in well with the rest of the organization, being more chaotic as opposed to their ambiguous goals
- Slasher Smile: All. The damn. Time. Except when Yoshimori calls him weak for abandoning his humanity to find a purpose in life, he really did not expect it.
- Transhuman Treachery
- Worthy Opponent: Thinks Yoshimori is the one who can finally give him the "feeling" of the a life-death sitaution.
Voiced by: Maki Tamura (Japanese), Tricia Pierce (English)
- Absolute Cleavage
- Bare Your Midriff
- The Beastmistress: She controls spiders.
- Brilliant but Lazy: She's actually a very powerful Ayakashi, but she hates exerting herself.
- Does Not Like Shoes
- Ms. Fanservice
- People Puppets: She can use her spiders and webs to control people. Fully enveloping them with the web can turn them into spider goons.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Once Kokuboro started crumbling she beat a hasty exit. Only sticking around to see the fight between Yoshimori and Kaguro.
- Spider People: We never see her true form, but considering she controls them...
- Blood Knight
- Boisterous Bruiser
- The Brute
- Fangs Are Evil
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Healing Factor: doesn't help against Gen though
- Kill It with Fire
- Leeroy Jenkins: Often goes into battle without thinking of the consequences
- Lightning Bruiser
- Mix-and-Match Critters: He's a mix of three legendary horse creatures, the pegasi, unicorn and centaur
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Six arms to be exact
- One-Winged Angel: Into a centaur-unicorn-pegasi ayakkashi
- Our Centaurs Are Different: For one, he has a horse head, three horns, six arms, fangs and grows wings on his lower torso.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: To Koshu's Blue Oni
- Voiced By: Sam Riegel (EN)
- One-Winged Angel: Into an octopus, an unimpressive one at that
- Small Name, Big Ego: For someone of his position, he's not very strong to back up his claims
- Smug Snake
- Voiced By: Richard Cansino (EN)
- The Arthur Dent
- House Husband: Very much.
- Nice Guy
- Real Men Wear Pink: He almost always has his apron on.
- Stay in the Kitchen: He is the main chef of the household after all.
- Supreme Chef
- Team Mom
- The Ace
- Bishōnen: Compared to his less gifted brothers
- Blow You Away
- Interspecies Romance: with Mayuka
- Razor Wind
Voiced by: Takeharu Onishi (Japanese), Troy Baker (English)
- Canis Major: When his Power Limiter is removed he becomes a giant.
- Camp Gay: Floating pink hearts while he gushes over Master Tokimori.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Do Not Call Me Ginro
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: During the fight with Koya. Madarao is hit first, but he manages to return the favor seconds after.
- Morality Chain: To Kouya, which is why his death made Kouya turn to evil in the first place.
- Non-Human Sidekick
- The Nose Knows: The whole reason Yoshimori and the previous Sumimura family Kekkaishi have used him as a partner. He's very good at sniffing out Ayakashi before they can be seen.
- Noble Wolf: A friendly and loyal wolf spirit. However, he's still an ayakashi so he could quickly turn savage without his Power Limiter.
- Power Limiter: His collar acts as one.
- This Is Something He's Got to Do Himself: His face-off with Koya. Justified; he was the only person around who had any real chance against him.
Voiced by: Masanori Ishii (Japanese), Wally Wingert (English)
- Chivalrous Pervert: His nicknames for Tokine and Tokiko seem to hint towards this.
- Gratuitous English: His frequent referral to Tokine as "honey." When he was Tokiko's partner, he called her "bunny."
- The Nose Knows
- Power Limiter: Going by what happens with Madarao's collar is removed, Hakubi's is likely to have this function, as well.
- Verbal Tic: See Gratuitous English, honey.
- Back from the Dead: He is revived by Masamori to become his familiar.
- Canis Major: Kouya's true form is also a huge wolf
- Evil Counterpart: To Madarou, at first.
- Heel-Face Turn: By becoming Masamori's familiar
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Believes this to the reason why Ginro died.
- Savage Wolves: He lost himself to hatred and now seeks revenge and blood.
Voiced by: Chafurin (Japanese), Michael Sorich (English)
- Asleep for Days: Spends most of his time asleep for a century usually.
- Deep Sleep: Likes his naps.
- Green Thumb
- Fertile Feet: The ground he walks on sprouts freaking doughnuts.
- Nice Guy: Gave Tokimori his land, because he was crying and asked nicely.
- Physical God: A land god.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: He looks a giant beaver wearing a hat.
- Sweet Tooth