Characters: Kamisama Kiss
The characters of the manga series Kamisama Kiss
open/close all folders
The main protagonist of the story Nanami starts as a dirt-poor but otherwise normal high school student whose father runs out on her due to his gambling debts.
Officials promply evicted Nanami from her home because the rent was overdue by several months. Shortly afterwards Nanami "saves" a strange man, Mikage, in the park from a dog. In gratitude he gives her his house and Nanami accepts due to having nowhere else to go and only later does she find out that Mikage's gift has a few strings attached.
Although Nanami appears to be a weak human compared to her compatriots (Tomoe especially) her spirit is strong. Because of this Nanami tends to land herself in a lot of trouble without even trying. She also is kind, gentle, understanding and caring of those around her, even if they are "bad" people or Yokai. She is also something of a busybody, a bit of a tomboy and has a real bad habit of promising things without thinking said things through.
- A-Cup Angst: Nanami is not exactly flat-chested, but she isn't that "big" either; though normally she doesn't make that big of a deal about it. Except for the times Tomoe brought it up.
- All-Loving Hero: She had Chronic Hero Syndrome to begin with and then she went and got divine powers.
- Barrier Warrior: Becomes this once she gives her shikigami his name.
- The Beastmaster: All those animal-themed familiars...
- The Chick: She is the only female at Mikage shrine and she tends to do more bickering with Tomoe than doing godly duties.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Pretty much her defining character trait. She will do whatever she can to help those she cares for and those in need; no matter if she just met the person or how impossible the situation might seem.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Not immediately apparent but she gets angry when Tomoe flirts with other girls.
- Curtains Match the Window: Brown-haired, brown-eyed.
- Determinator: When she sets her mind to do something there is pretty much no stopping her and no way anyone is going to talk her out of it.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Most of her entourage became so through this. Even Tomoe, considering she forced the familiar contract on him against his will.
- Disappeared Dad: Her father just walked out of the house and her life without giving her any real warning.
- Dogged Nice Girl: Becomes this to Tomoe.
- Expy: Just as Tomoe shares many similarities with InuYasha, Nanami has more than a few things in common with Kagome.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Mizuki has an artifact that can send people back in time. Of course, Nanami winds up using it and she sticks out like a sore thumb in the past.
- Friendless Background: We get to see bits and pieces of her back story and why this is. To give one example, she responds to her classmates in elementary school asking what will Santa bring by saying she doesn't know who this Santa is but he's not getting into her house because she made sure it was locked up good and tight. Of course, this changes eventually.
- Girlish Pigtails: As a child Nanami had her hair up in short pig tails but now, as noted by Tomoe, she hardly ever puts her hair up.
- Guy Magnet
- The Heart: Likes playing match-maker, steers Tomoe to the path of heroism instead of jerkism, forgives Mizuki for the Shotgun Wedding attempt and allows him to come to the shrine so he won't be alone anymore.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: In chapter 38. though she mentions that she hopes to change that.
- Holy Hand Grenade
- Identical Grandson: She is Yukiji's direct descendant.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Gradually changes her attitude about this.
- It's All My Fault: After she fails to purify the youkei residue and Ami gets hurt and again when Jirou sacrifices himself for her.
- Interspecies Romance: Nanami is one out of the three people (the other two are Mikage and Kayako) in the series that truly believes that Humans and Yokai can get along and love each other. She becomes infatuated with Tomoe fairly quickly but it takes awhile for Tomoe to start returning her feelings and even longer to admit it.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: When it looks like Tomoe might not renew his familiar contract.
- Kid with the Leash: Tomoe is none too pleased about it initially. Naturally, she also abuses the fact that Tomoe has to do whatever she tells him on more than one occasion.
- Lap Pillow: Does this for the gravely injured Jirou.
- Large Ham: Gets sometimes like this when she's smug or motivated about something.
- Limited Wardrobe / School Uniforms Are the New Black: She does change outfits on certain occassions but about eighty to ninety percent of the time she is wearing her school uniform. Of course, this is kind of justified since most of the story takes place in the modern era and Nanami is trying to be a Ordinary High-School Student half the time.
- Luminescent Blush
- Magic Skirt
- The Matchmaker: For Himemiko and Kotarou, and also for Ami and Kurama.
- Missing Mom: Her mother died when she was very young.
- Motor Mouth: Has a tendency to do this sometimes and it is especially evident in the first episode.
- Nice Girl: Nanami is very warm and friendly. About the only time we see her not being so is when Tomoe is acting like an asshole.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: When she tries to purify the leftovers of tsuchigumo.
- No One Gets Left Behind: Towards Kirihito.
- Not So Different: Tomoe and Nanami share a few similarities. They both have lost a loved one that they deeply cared about (Nanami lost her mom and Tomoe lost Yukiji); both were abandoned by someone (Tomoe by Mikage and Nanami by her dad); both have bad tempers (though Tomoe's is on a shorter fuse than Nanami's); both speak their mind no matter what the situation is; both have a rebellious streak and don't behave like society expects them to.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Dirt poor example.
- Paper Talisman: Her weapon of choice. She gradually becomes more skilled and inventive at using them.
- Parental Abandonment: Her mom died when she was young and her father skipped town maybe ten minutes ahead of the creditors and repo men.
- Plucky Girl: Nanami likes to see other people happy and will go out of her way to make them that way, even if it means that she has to get hurt or sacrifice something to make it so.
- Physical God
- Rags to Royalty: In this case it's more of "Rags to Godhood".
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Nanami is very pretty and whenever she does dress-up people around her tend to stare in awe; humans and demons alike.
- Shipper on Deck: It doesn't take her long at all to decide who Kurama needs to hook up with.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: When she poses as a tengu.
- Supporting Protagonist: Nanami is the view point character of the series, but a good deal of the plot tends to focus on Tomoe and his Dark and Troubled Past.
- Took a Level in Badass: Over the course of the story, she's getting more and more powerful and skilled in her Tochigami duties culminating in her Crowning Moment of Awesome in chapter 66.
- Tsundere: Of the Type B variety. Usually very sweet and kind, but when Tomoe is in Jerkass mode, she can get quite violent with him.
- What Beautiful Eyes: In the recent manga arcs her vivid eyes get remarked and commented on their beauty by other charcters. In fact Tomoe says that he fell in love with "Yukiji"(Nanami) because of the look of her eyes.
- Weak, but Skilled: Eventually becomes this.
- White Magician Girl: She is a Nice Girl who becomes a Physical God with holy powers.
The deuteragonist of the series; Tomoe is a powerful Kitsune
that has been around for a few centuries. Tomoe's life before coming to Mikage shrine was violent and bloody and he spent his days carving a path of death and destruction across the human and yokai world before meeting Mikage. He eventually became Mikage's familiar and served in that position for several centuries before Mikage left the shrine twenty years prior to the beginning of the story. He later serves as Nanami's familiar (unwillingly).
Tomoe bears many of the traits one might expect from a fox yokai; he is handsome, cunning, sly and possessed of a certain allure that those he meets often find difficult to resist. Personality wise he is something of a Jerk Ass
and a Deadpan Snarker
. Despite this he does show a softer, caring side on a few occasions. Tomoe also displays unusually strong sense of loyalty and honor on several occasions; such as standing watch over Mikage's crumbling shrine for twenty lonely years and going above and beyond the call of duty as Nanami's familar.
Kotetsu and Onikiri
Two spirits who belong to the Mikage shrine. They are extremely optimistic and supportive of Nanami being the new Land God and have helped Nanami in many complicated situations. They also rely on and respect Tomoe very much, addressing him with the honorific -dono which roughly means 'master' or 'milord'. They always wear masks and what their true faces are is a mystery.
Kotetsu voiced by:
Chika Ookubo (Japanese), Josh Grelle
(English), Jocelyn Robles (Latin American Spanish)
Onikiri voiced by:
Natsuyo Atarashi (season 1), Naoko Matsui (season 2) (Japanese), Jad Saxton
(English), Liliana Barba (Latin American Spanish)
- Mr. Exposition: Their main purpose in the storyline, besides comic relief, is to supply information to Nanami, other characters and the audience. For example, they are the ones who informed Nanami both about the familiar contracts and how to create them along with the talismans. They also told Mizuki, and by extension the audience, about how Tomoe became Mikage's familiar in the anime.
- Non-Human Sidekick
- Nightmare Face: Implied in the anime, which features a flashback scene were Tomoe asks why they wear those masks. He promptly lifts one up, immediately looks kind of sick and disturbed and then puts the mask back down without saying a word.
- Those Two Guys
- Undying Loyalty: Their feelings towards Nanami. However, they are bound to serve the master of the shrine, not Nanami specifically. This becomes important when Narukami shows up.
Nanami's shikigami who takes the form of a baby monkey.
Voiced by: Hinata Kusonoki (monkey), Daiki Yamashita (child) (Japanese), Bryn Apprill (monkey), Aaron Roberts (child) (English)
Mizuki is a snake familiar of a Water God and like Kurama briefly serves as an antagonist before being put in his place by Tomoe. He fell in love with Nanami when she saves his life from her cruel classmates by releasing him out the window while in snake form. He starts off as being eerie, even bordering on creepy, but is eventually shown to be just lonely and more than a little bit naive. Eventually, he becomes Nanami's familiar, which pisses Tomoe off big time.
The former land god of Mikage Shrine. Twenty years prior to the beginning of the story, he mysteriously vanished from his shrine. Upon returning to his home town, he was chased up a tree by a dog and was rescued by Nanami Momozono. As a thanks, Mikage bestowed his home and mark to Nanami through a kiss to the forehead. He is often seen helping Nanami when she loses faith in herself or when she is confused or scared what to do as the Land God, but only when Tomoe is not around.
- Disproportionate Reward: To Nanami. Running off a not-so-threatening and a not-so-big dog doesn't usually warrant godhood. Turns out that it isn't. The real reason he rewarded her is because Nanami created a Stable Time Loop and told a past version of him her life story, setting that plot in motion.
- The Chooser of The One: To Nanami.
- The Matchmaker: His specialty is marriages after all.
- Nice Guy
- Odd Friendship: With Otohiko.
- Physical God
- Pretty Butterflies: Mikage can turn into a butterfly.
- Team Dad: Once he came back he started acting as the father figure for the whole shrine. Right down to the part of making Nanami focus on her school work and scolding Tomoe when he acted inappropriately.
- Trickster Mentor
- Weaksauce Weakness: Mikage is stated and shown to have a deep fear of dogs. Somewhat ironically he picked Tomoe as his familiar even though he was a Kitsune (the fox is a relative of the dog family.)
Yonomori Mitsuha is a water god whose shrine was built by the people of a village that feared that the reason a near river often washed away children was beacause of a curse. However, as a god born to met the needs of the people in her village, she disappeared when the people of her village left. She was Mizuki's goddes. When Nanami travels to the past she meets a younger Mitsuha and they become friends.
She is the goddess of thunder and lightning. She is known to take a sadistic delight in abusing her familiars and she goes through new sets of them at an unheard of rate (this even earns her an in-series nickname). When she learns that Nanami is Tomoe's new master, she thinks that her chance has finally come to make him her familiar.
Voiced by: Hyo-sei
(Japanese), Lydia Mackay (English)
The god of war. He looks down on Nanami for being a weak human. An attitude that latter cause him to get his ass handed to him by Tomoe. Than we latter find out he is the reason Tomoe was lying wounded on the riverbank at the start of Yukiji romance arc.
She's the ruler of Yomi-No-Kuni.
A Wind God who is more than a little effeminate. He was assigned to give the God's Summit Invitation test to Nanami and Kayako by Ookuninushi and was also in on the fact that the test results were already preplanned for Nanami to win.
Otohiko is sometimes casual and can sometimes be a little insulting or melodramatic in his manner of speaking. When speaking with, spoken to by, or simply being in Ookuninushi's presence, Otohiko acts very girly. Otohiko is good friends with Mikage, who in turn also sees him as a close friend. They are often seen together in the anime, and in the manga it was also strongly hinted that they were close friends.
The God of Wealth, Ookuninushi is a famous god amongst the gods. He is very dramatic, flashy and tends to overreact but is rather charming. He was first mentioned in Chapter 9 where he had lent Narukami his Lucky Mallet. The Yearly God's Summit was held in his shrine and he was the one who arranged the test to go to the God's Summit between the two human gods Nanami and Kayako. Ookuninushi had actually invited Nanami so she could guard Yomotsuhira, the Yomi-no-kuni's boundary.
The Fallen God/ Kuromaro
The person whom Tomoe has made a contract with in the past to turn him into human.
An innocent girl who is Nanami's classmate Ami is the first friend that Nanami made at her new school. Originially, Ami thought Nanami to be a little strange because of the strange occurrences that constantly happened around her. After Tomoe, who was disguised as Nanami, saved Ami from a demon she began to hang around with Nanami and became her official friend when Nanami helped her talk with Kurama, whom Ami had a crush on at the time.
She appears to have some form of extrasensory sense when it comes to spiritual matters and she thinks that Nanami is a miko.
A boy who bullies Nanami for her poverty.
Voiced by: Shuta Morishima (Japanese), Corey Cleary-Stoner (English), Miguel Angel Leal (Latin American Spanish)
A "living god" from Kyoto, Kayako hails from the famous Hiiragi family which is said to have produced powerful psychics for many generations. She has many followers and in the public eye she is shown to be quite calm and cool, but in private, she is quick-tempered and arrogant. She does, however, show that she can be wise, understanding and even nice when she wants to. She comes to Nanami's school as an exchange student and becomes her rival in the contest to see who is more suitable to go to the god summit.
A beautiful peasant girl from the past, who knew Tomoe and was his lover. Or so we think at first
. She was adopted into a noble family after her original village was destroyed by youkai with some non too subtle hints that Tomoe had a part in it.
Suzuko Mimori (Japanese), Tia Ballard
- Action Girl
- Arranged Marriage: Her adoptive family does this for her. After some bad suitors, she ends up marrying a young lord who loves her as much as she loves him.
- Break the Cutie: Let's see, her village gets destroyed by demons, losing her home, her family and friends. She get's adopted and marries into money, still she develops good relations with her adoptive family and her husband's, after some years she finally gets pregnant... Only for that family to be wiped out by Akura-Ou. And though she hates demons with a passion she ends up becoming dependent on Tomoe, as she needs his help to stay alive and give birth to her child.
- Cool Big Sis: To Nanami and Fuuta, with a bit of "cool mother" mixed in.
- Doomed Hometown: With hints that Tomoe might have been involved in the destruction.
- Fantastic Racism: When she first encounters Nanami she hates youkai to the point her response to hearing the village militia is hunting down a wounded Tomoe is to throw a little party.
- Happily Adopted: After the destruction of her home village, a rich merchant adopts her. She seems to be quite happy with this.
- Happily Married: With her husband. Sadly it only lasts for a few years.
- Ill Girl
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: After being married for many years and not being able to get pregnant, even though she loves him, she asks her husband to search for a younger wife/concubine who would be able to give him heirs.
- But he answers her that why would he look for another wife when he has her... And they both love each other a lot!.
- Posthumous Character
- Rags to Riches: Used to be an ordinary peasant girl but is eventually adopted into a well off family.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: She is a gorgeous young woman, but it brings her more trouble than anything... Unwanted male attention, youkai and human alike.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Nanami is mentioned to look a lot like Yukiji, and Yukiji keeps recalling the warmth of her birth-family whenever she is with Nanami. The reason is that Nanami is her descendant.
One of the main supporting characters Kotarou is a 18 year old boy first introduced Himemiko requested Nanami to help her to find him because of she had a crush on him. Kotarou was shy around Himemiko when he first met her and because of his low self-esteem he doubts at first that Himemiko actually loves him and that it might just be a cruel prank of some kind. After getting to know her, he grew fond of her and eventually fell in love with her. He also forms a friendship with Nanami and Sukuna.
Voiced by: Ryohei Kimura
(Japanese), Chris Burnett (English), Miguel Angel Ruiz (Latin American Spanish)
Sukeroku, also known as Suke, is an inhabitant and guard for Yukiji's village. He seems to have a lot of respect for Yukiji, despite the other villagers, especially the other local guards, feeling the opposite. He is very cheerful and thoughtful, a bit childish and is seen to have a liking for sake. However, he is apparently clumsy, complains a lot and gets tired fast.
Fuuta is Yukiji's servant. He admires Yukiji and wishes for her happiness due to her hard life after the destruction of her village, fully supporting her decision to marry. However, due to this regard for Yukiji, he gets mad very easily when people insult her. He also seems to see her as a mother-like figure. He also treats Nanami as a big sister, calling her by name without a title.
Kurama's brother, Jirou is currently the fourth chief of Kurama Mountain; leading all other tengu due to his unsurpassed strength and speed. Jirou is initially portrayed as a cruel leader. He is shown to be merciless and banished many other tengu when they showed any sign of weakness.
Voiced by: Wataru Hatono
A wildly popular music idol with the gimmick of being a "fallen angel", with goth makeup and a bad boy attitude. He serves very, very
briefly as an antagonist in the series before Tomoe puts him in his place. Eventually becomes a friend of Nanami's and a rival for her affection to Tomoe. Personality wise, Kurama is very charismatic and due to his popularity, very arrogant and selfish as well.
Voiced by: Daisuke Kishio
(Japanese), Sean O'Connor (English), Jose Gilberto Vilchis (Latin American Spanish)
- All the Other Reindeer: Was an outcast because he hadn't mastered flying at the appropriate age and he got special treatment for being the chief's son.
- Bishounen: There is a reason all the teenage girls in the series and even some of the boys like him.
- Boy Band: Is the leader of one.
- Broken Pedestal: He gets put on one when Nanami finds out what he's really like.
- Butt Monkey: He is usually a target of Tomoe's Comedic Sociopathy and then there is his relationship with Jirou.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Kurama has a low alcohol tolerance, best exemplified by the time he tried to get Jirou drunk.
- Celeb Crush: How most of Nanami's class reacts to him.
- Cock Fight: Has this often with Tomoe.
- Even the Guys Want Him: In-universe. He has also many male fans.
- The Exile: He left willingly, but every Tengu who leaves Kurama Mountain becomes this.
- Fish out of Water: Averted. Unlike other youkai, he has spent quite some time living in the human world and has adapted completely to it. He is quite proud of it, too.
- Guyliner: Considering how he is a teen pop idol it is not too surprising that he should wear make-up.
- Idol Singer
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: The reason why he loves Nanami.
- Instant Fanclub: He gets one when he joins Nanami's school.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The first time Nanami meets him he acts like a regular asshole. He mellows out a little afterwards but he still has his moments.
- Lady Killer In Love: He starts to fall for Nanami following, and partly because of, the ostrich incident.
- Money to Throw Away: He slips a considerable amount of money into Nanami's pocket in his introduction story but to him is pocket change.
- Most Definitely Not A Demon: He's terrified of the idea that his fans will find out what he really is and when Tomoe and Mizuki spill the beans to one of Nanami's classmates his denial left something to be desired.
- Prince Charming Wannabe
- Teen Idol: Well, aside from the fact that he isn't human and we do not know for sure how old he is, he meets all the other criteria.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid
- Winged Humanoid: Standard with all Tengu, and he uses it as part of his Idol Singer gig, saying that he is a fallen angel.
Suirou is much beloved by the tengu in the Kurama Mountain and even Kurama argues that Suirou would be a much better chief than Jirou. He took care of Kurama during his childhood and was the first to show him affection. He was also the most skilled at flying among the tengu until he lost his wings while protecting Kurama. The tengu also consider him to be very beautiful, more beautiful even than Nanami.
Numa no Himemiko
She is the princess of the swamp Tatara and a catfish spirit. Used to be friends with Mikage. She approaches Nanami because she wants to find the human boy Kotarou again, with whom she fell in love with 10 years ago. She and Nanami become close friends.
The Dragon King (Ryuuou) of the Seven Seas, Sukuna is a proud man who always loves a good fight. This guy has a been waiting to seek revenge against Tomoe for 526 years for ripping out his right eye and attacking the north gate of his castle. Though aggressive and temperamental, he is afraid of his wife's anger. She disapproves of his fights, saying they mar his beautiful face. He is forced to give up his grudge against Tomoe after she befriends Nanami.
Kamehime is Sukuna's wife. She befriends Nanami. When she is spends a long time away of her husband she likes to make clothes or embroidery for him.
Also referred to as the Evil King, Akura-Ou is a brutal and sadistic demon and the current Big Bad
of the series and someone who very much enjoys killing. He consistently shown to be arrogant, violent and confident in his powers along with quick-tempered and somewhat of a brat that is used to getting his way. Six hundred years ago he wrecked havoc to the world of both yokai and humans alike with Tomoe at his side
. He and his partner were so powerful that not even the gods of Izumo could defeat them. But then Tomoe fell in love with a human woman, which broke up the alliance.
After being captured by the gods he was sent to Yomi-no-Kuni and split, his soul sealed into a group of rocks whilst his immortal body thrown into eternal fiery flames. A few centuries later a young, recently-deceased boy named Mori Kirihito came to him and asked him to send an 'I'm sorry' message to his parents because they had fought just before his death. Akura-Ou accepted out of boredom and curiosity and hence possessed Kirihito's body, waking in a hospital room and being hugged by 'his' mother.
- Adorkable: Whenever he's happy. See Psychopathic Manchild below.
- And I Must Scream: Let's see, his soul was ripped from his body and sealed in a cavern with no light, no outside contact for centuries while his body was tossed in a lake of fire. Yeah, I would say that qualifies.
- Bad Ass: Bordering into One-Man Army territory sometimes.
- Big Bad
- Bad Boss: His underlings don't have the longest life expectancy given his You Have Failed Me tendencies and willingness to assign them difficult, if not outright impossible, tasks.
- Blood Knight: This guy takes pleasure in meaningless, blood thirsty massacres.
- Clingy Jealous Guy: He is jealous whenever Tomoe does not pay attention to him.
- The Dragon: To Kayako Hiragi.
- Demonic Possession: Kirihito is dead and this guy is possessing his body.
- The Dreaded: Everybody is scared of him, even the gods, for good reason. The only exception seems to be Tomoe.
- Evil Former Friend: To Tomoe.
- Evil Is Petty: His only real motivation is having fun and destroying things that takes Tomoe's attention away from him.
- Far-Out Foreigner's Favorite Food: He really likes those canned peaches that Nanami brought back with her.
- Fiery Red Head
- He-Man Woman Hater: He considers women boring and not fun at all.
- Horned Humanoid
- Knight of Cerebus: When Akura-Ou shows up things get darker and people start dying violent, bloody deaths and in large numbers.
- Lack of Empathy: And how!
- Large Ham: Whenever he gets excited about something.
- Lean and Mean
- Monster Sob Story: He's indubitably evil, but it's hard not to feel at least a tiny twinge of empathy for him during his flashback to his first incarceration in Yomi-no-Kuni, his reaction to "awakening" in the world of the living, and his reaction to Nanami's finding him during his second incarceration.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: He is called the Evil King for a reason.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: He took a musket volley to the face without so much as a headache afterwards.
- Pride: He remains arrogant and confident all the time; even after inhabiting Kirihito's body, where he has a habit of over-estimating and endangering said human body.
- Psychopathic Manchild: One moment his playful, happy and even silly... the next, he brutally murders dozens of people.
- Slasher Smile: This is pretty much his default facial expression.
- Treacherous Advisor: To Kayako Hiragi.
- Villainous Friendship: He and Tomoe used to be quite close, to the point they even called each other brother.
- When He Smiles: Naturally, this refers to all his non-Slasher Smiles.
- Yandere: Destroys everything and everyone that Tomoe cares about because it takes attention away from him.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Abandons Kayako the minute she is no longer useful to him. Noticing a pattern here?
Prince of Inunaki Swamp. Beautiful, rich and arrogant; Nishiki is every bit the spoiled, pompous aristocrat. Already at this young age was he betrothed to Himemiko in order to unite their kingdoms and have control over Tatara Swamp. He's Himemiko's fiancee.
A mysterious youkai who wishes to help Akura-Ou. He promises to take over Kurama mountain to show his strength. Originally, he was known as "Furball," because, well, he resembled a furball. Back then he was constantly ignored and ridiculed for his looks and body odor. He attempted to gain strength to impress Akura-Ou and when then that didn't work he killed Suke and took over his body.