open/close all folders
Voiced by: Suzuko Mimori (Japanese), Tia Ballard (English), Jessica Ángeles (Latin American Spanish)The main protagonist of the story Nanami starts as a dirt-poor but otherwise normal high school student whose father runs out on her due to his gambling debts. Officials promply evicted Nanami from her home because the rent was overdue by several months. Shortly afterwards Nanami "saves" a strange man, Mikage, in the park from a dog. In gratitude he gives her his house and Nanami accepts due to having nowhere else to go and only later does she find out that Mikage's gift has a few strings attached.Although Nanami appears to be a weak human compared to her compatriots (Tomoe especially) her spirit is strong. Because of this Nanami tends to land herself in a lot of trouble without even trying. She also is kind, gentle, understanding and caring of those around her, even if they are "bad" people or Yokai. She is also something of a busybody, a bit of a tomboy and has a real bad habit of promising things without thinking said things through.
- A-Cup Angst: Nanami is not exactly flat-chested, but she isn't that "big" either; though normally she doesn't make that big of a deal about it. Except for the times Tomoe brought it up.
- All-Loving Hero: She had Chronic Hero Syndrome to begin with and then she went and got divine powers.
- Barrier Warrior: Becomes this once she gives her shikigami his name.
- The Beastmaster: All those animal-themed familiars...
- The Chick: She is the only female at Mikage shrine and she tends to do more bickering with Tomoe than doing godly duties.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Pretty much her defining character trait. She will do whatever she can to help those she cares for and those in need; no matter if she just met the person or how impossible the situation might seem.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Not immediately apparent but she gets angry when Tomoe flirts with other girls.
- Curtains Match the Window: Brown-haired, brown-eyed.
- Determinator: When she sets her mind to do something there is pretty much no stopping her and no way anyone is going to talk her out of it.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Most of her entourage became so through this. Even Tomoe, considering she forced the familiar contract on him against his will.
- Disappeared Dad: Her father just walked out of the house and her life without giving her any real warning.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: Mizuki has an artifact that can send people back in time. Of course, Nanami winds up using it and she sticks out like a sore thumb in the past.
- Friendless Background: We get to see bits and pieces of her back story and why this is. To give one example, she responds to her classmates in elementary school asking what will Santa bring by saying she doesn't know who this Santa is but he's not getting into her house because she made sure it was locked up good and tight. Of course, this changes eventually.
- Girlish Pigtails: As a child Nanami had her hair up in short pig tails but now, as noted by Tomoe, she hardly ever puts her hair up.
- Guy Magnet
- The Heart: Likes playing match-maker, steers Tomoe to the path of heroism instead of jerkism, forgives Mizuki for the Shotgun Wedding attempt and allows him to come to the shrine so he won't be alone anymore.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: In chapter 38. Though she mentions that she hopes to change that.
- Identical Grandson: She is Yukiji's direct descendant.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Gradually changes her attitude about this.
- It's All My Fault: After she fails to purify the youkei residue and Ami gets hurt and again when Jirou sacrifices himself for her.
- Interspecies Romance: Nanami is one out of the three people (the other two are Mikage and Kayako) in the series that truly believes that Humans and Yokai can get along and love each other. She becomes infatuated with Tomoe fairly quickly but it takes awhile for Tomoe to start returning her feelings and even longer to admit it.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: When it looks like Tomoe might not renew his familiar contract.
- Kid with the Leash: Tomoe is none too pleased about it initially. Naturally, she also abuses the fact that Tomoe has to do whatever she tells him on more than one occasion.
- Lap Pillow: Does this for the gravely injured Jirou.
- Large Ham: Gets sometimes like this when she's smug or motivated about something.
- Limited Wardrobe / School Uniforms Are the New Black: She does change outfits on certain occassions but about eighty to ninety percent of the time she is wearing her school uniform. Of course, this is kind of justified since most of the story takes place in the modern era and Nanami is trying to be a Ordinary High-School Student half the time.
- The Matchmaker: For Himemiko and Kotarou, and also for Ami and Kurama. That's a part of her job as a goddess she really enjoy.
- Missing Mom: Her mother died when she was very young.
- Motor Mouth: Has a tendency to do this sometimes and it is especially evident in the first episode.
- Nice Girl: Nanami is very warm and friendly. About the only time we see her not being so is when Tomoe is acting like an asshole.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: When she tries to purify the leftovers of tsuchigumo.
- No One Gets Left Behind: Towards Kirihito.
- Not So Different: Tomoe and Nanami share a few similarities. They both have lost a loved one that they deeply cared about (Nanami lost her mom and Tomoe lost Yukiji); both were abandoned by someone (Tomoe by Mikage and Nanami by her dad); both have bad tempers (though Tomoe's is on a shorter fuse than Nanami's); both speak their mind no matter what the situation is; both have a rebellious streak and don't behave like society expects them to.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Dirt poor example.
- Paper Talisman: Her weapon of choice. She gradually becomes more skilled and inventive at using them.
- Parental Abandonment: Her mom died when she was young and her father skipped town maybe ten minutes ahead of the creditors and repo men.
- Plucky Girl: Nanami likes to see other people happy and will go out of her way to make them that way, even if it means that she has to get hurt or sacrifice something to make it so.
- Potty Emergency: Has one in Chapter 52.
- Rags to Royalty: In this case it's more of "Rags to Godhood".
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Nanami is very pretty and whenever she does dress-up people around her tend to stare in awe; humans and demons alike.
- Shipper on Deck: It doesn't take her long at all to decide who Kurama needs to hook up with.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: When she poses as a tengu.
- Supporting Protagonist: Nanami is the view point character of the series, but a good deal of the plot tends to focus on Tomoe and his Dark and Troubled Past.
- Took a Level in Badass: Over the course of the story, she's getting more and more powerful and skilled in her Tochigami duties culminating in her Crowning Moment of Awesome in chapter 66.
- Tsundere: Of the Type B variety. Usually very sweet and kind, but when Tomoe is in Jerkass mode, she can get quite violent with him.
- What Beautiful Eyes!: In the recent manga arcs her vivid eyes get remarked and commented on their beauty by other charcters. In fact Tomoe says that he fell in love with "Yukiji"(Nanami) because of the look of her eyes.
Voiced by: Shinnosuke Tachibana (Japanese), J. Michael Tatum (English), Óscar Flores (Latin American Spanish)The deuteragonist of the series; Tomoe is a powerful Kitsune that has been around for a few centuries. Tomoe's life before coming to Mikage shrine was violent and bloody and he spent his days carving a path of death and destruction across the human and yokai world before meeting Mikage. He eventually became Mikage's familiar and served in that position for several centuries before Mikage left the shrine twenty years prior to the beginning of the story. He later serves as Nanami's familiar (unwillingly).Tomoe bears many of the traits one might expect from a fox yokai; he is handsome, cunning, sly and possessed of a certain allure that those he meets often find difficult to resist. Personality wise he is something of a Jerkass and a Deadpan Snarker. Despite this he does show a softer, caring side on a few occasions. Tomoe also displays unusually strong sense of loyalty and honor on several occasions; such as standing watch over Mikage's crumbling shrine for twenty lonely years and going above and beyond the call of duty as Nanami's familar.
- Anger Born of Worry: Mainly because Nanami keeps pulling stunts that send his blood pressure sky high, sometimes doing things immediately after he warned her not to do them.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: When he turns into Nanami, the guys at school find her suddenly hot and those who already liked her even hotter.
- Baleful Polymorph: He can be pretty sadistic when using this.
- Battle Butler: Before Mizuki came along Tomoe did just about all the chores in the shrine, from cutting the grass to cooking Nanami's meals to doing the laundry. Even after Mizuki takes on some of the workload Tomoe still does quite a few chores.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Let's face it, Nanami's tendency to act on impulse has made his life difficult on more than one occasion.
- Break the Haughty: His first meeting with Ikusagami.
- Brutal Honesty: Especially towards Nanami but he will tell just about anybody what he really thinks about the situation whither they asked him to or not and he will usually do it in the rudest possible way.
- Chick Magnet: Has a lot of female admirers in universe; both as a demon and disguised as a human.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: However, if the admirer is human he is usually oblivious to this fact.
- Coat Cape: Sometimes sports this look.
- Cock Fight: Very prone to this.
- Cute Little Fangs: Especially in the anime. However, when he gets mad or is acting particularly vindictive they cease to be cute.
- Deadpan Snarker: About half the words that come out of his mouth is pure, unadulterated sarcasm.
- Declaration of Protection: He says he will protect Nanami more than once and that her safety and well-being is his top priority.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Well he does wear shoes when he has to but he tends to go around barefoot a lot.
- The Dragon: Used to be this to Akura-Ou.
- Even Evil Has Standards: His flashback in chapter 42.
- Evil Former Friend: Akura-Ou is this for him. They were apparently pretty close.
- Face Palm: Nanami is usually the cause of this.
- Face Fault: And this too on occasion.
- Furo Scene: He has one in chapter 42, much to the rejoicing of the female fan base.
- Gender-Blender Name: Tomoe is actually a rare female Japanese name.
- Gender Bender: He winds up posing as Nanami three times. The first when she was sick, he covered for her at school. The second time when she was attending the conference, he also covered for her at school. The third time, well...
- Good Is Not Nice: Used to be a ruthless demonic bandit before Mikage mellowed him into a, somewhat, good guy. Still, personality-wise he tends to range from Jerk Ass to Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Grumpy Bear: Tomoe has a pretty cynical attitude in a series that is pretty light-hearted and idealistic.
- Happiness in Slavery: Once he returns Nanami's feelings.
- Hellish Pupils: His pupils are slitted like a cat's. This become's very noticeable when he is pissed.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He gets easily angered over the slightest provocation.
- Humans Through Alien Eyes: Tomoe doesn't seem understand human emotions, especially teenage girls and Nanami's emotions in particular, a lot of times.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: Is very mean and condescending towards Nanami, but he defends her from the criticism of others.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Cruel, aloof, indifferent, ruthless, jealous and sly. That pretty much sums up Tomoe's default personality. He also seems quite distrustful of others.
- Jerkass Has a Point: He actually gives Nanami pretty sound advice most of the time, albeit in a sarcastic and condescending way.
- The Lancer: Nanami is the leader of their little group and Tomoe tends to act as a foil to her.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: His memories of Yukiji, thanks to Mikage.
- Little Bit Beastly: Has claws, fangs, fox ears and tail but other wise looks like a young man in his twenties.
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: He heads to the Red Light District the moment Nanami leaves the shrine for a few days. Doesn't really do anything though and it is implied he mainly went there because he was feeling lonely.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Normally has a short pageboy haircut but in flashbacks is shown to have long hair and one time Nanami does see him with long hair it triggers a nose-bleed.
- Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex: A concern he expresses about Nanami one more than one occasion."I've got to be careful not to get her broken, not to break her."
- Master of Illusion: Tomoe has demonstrated, on occasion, the ability to create an entire entourage out of thin air. But he is a Kitsune so this kind of thing is expected.
- Master of the Mixed Message: Though, in a bout of Hypocritical Humor, he later accuses Nanami of this!
- Meaningful Name: His name means "friend and blessing;" guess what he becomes to Nanami and a good chunk of the main cast.
- Mr. Vice Guy: He is a frequent customer down in the Red Light District. He has also been seen smoking an opium pipe on occasion and he is pretty loose with the booze as well.
- Noble Demon: Back when he still followed Akura-Ou.
- Not So Different: With Nanami, see above.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Tomoe just does not seem to understand the concept of personal space.
- Only Sane Man: He is a lot more grounded, pragmatic and realistic than either Nanami or Mizuki. He also engaged in Pragmatic Villainy when he hung out with Akura-ou as opposed to his partner's senseless killing sprees.
- Perpetual Frowner: Tomoe actually has a lot to be pissed about-Mikage abandoning him for starters-and he manages to be pissed at just about anything and everything.
- Playing with Fire: Tomoe's favorite magical weapon, potent to the point he can create a sea of fire, and he often combines it Baleful Polymorph.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: When the power limiter Mikage placed on him is removed his hair grows from a short pageboy style hair cut to being draped over his shoulders and going down most of his back.
- Power Limiter: As a familiar his Yokai powers seem to be weakened due to his bond to the shrine.
- Princely Young Man: Definitely looks young and as Akura-Ou points out Tomoe had/has an elegant, prince-like feeling to him.
- Purple Eyes: Anime decided to go with this color.
- Semi-Retired Monster: His time with Mikage seems to have tempered some of his more extreme tendencies since before meeting him Tomoe did not mind killing and was quicker to resort to violence. His current moral outlook is somewhat contradictory; on one hand he still feels little patience for the weakness and frailty of creatures less powerful than himself. At the same time, however, he has grown gentler and more thoughtful and tends placing greater value on all forms of life and humanity in particular. Still he doesn't seem to regret his past and sometimes dreams of going back to the "good old days."
- Really 700 Years Old: Is over 628 years old.
- Really Gets Around: In the past, he frequented the demonic Red Light District to the extent that he knew all of the Tanuki prostitutes there by name and they treat him like family.
- Restraining Bolt: The familiar contract forces him to obey any order Nanami gives him, much to his dismay.
- Sarcastic Devotee: Yes, even when he somewhat agrees with Nanami's actions he is still pretty sarcastic.
- Starcrossed Lovers: How he sees human/youkai relationships.
- Shapeshifting Seducer: Jirou found this out the hard way.
- Submissive Badass: But as a Shinshi he is ultimately under Nanami's command.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Normally he is rude, self-centered, confrontational and a general all-round Jerk Ass. But there are times when he shows that he can be kind and even down-right sweet when he wants to.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: In the manga.
- The Tease: Behaves like this towards Nanami once. She is not pleased.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Tomoe's favorite food is sasamochi. Ironically, he came to like it because originally Nanami fed it to him when he was injured in the past although he had no recollection of the event in the present.
- Unusual Ears: Fox ears, of course.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With just about everyone, but particularly with Mizuki.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Well, it was more of White Hair, Dark Gray Heart to begin with but by the time the story starts he has mellowed out a bit, though he still acts like an asshole.
Kotetsu and Onikiri
Kotetsu voiced by: Chika Ookubo (Japanese), Josh Grelle (English), Jocelyn Robles (Latin American Spanish)
Onikiri voiced by: Natsuyo Atarashi (season 1), Naoko Matsui (season 2) (Japanese), Jad Saxton (English), Liliana Barba (Latin American Spanish)Two spirits who belong to the Mikage shrine. They are extremely optimistic and supportive of Nanami being the new Land God and have helped Nanami in many complicated situations. They also rely on and respect Tomoe very much, addressing him with the honorific -dono which roughly means 'master' or 'milord'. They always wear masks and what their true faces are is a mystery.
- Mr. Exposition: Their main purpose in the storyline, besides comic relief, is to supply information to Nanami, other characters and the audience. For example, they are the ones who informed Nanami both about the familiar contracts and how to create them along with the talismans. They also told Mizuki, and by extension the audience, about how Tomoe became Mikage's familiar in the anime.
- Nightmare Face: Implied in the anime, which features a flashback scene were Tomoe asks why they wear those masks. He promptly lifts one up, immediately looks kind of sick and disturbed and then puts the mask back down without saying a word.
- Undying Loyalty: Their feelings towards Nanami. However, they are bound to serve the master of the shrine, not Nanami specifically. This becomes important when Narukami shows up.
MamoruNanami's shikigami who takes the form of a baby monkey.
Voiced by: Hinata Kusonoki (monkey), Daiki Yamashita (child) (Japanese), Bryn Apprill (monkey), Aaron Roberts (child) (English)
- Cheerful Child: His human form.
Voiced by: Nobuhiko Okamoto (Japanese), Micah Solusod (English), Alan Fernando Velázquez (Latin American Spanish)Mizuki is a snake familiar of a Water God and like Kurama briefly serves as an antagonist before being put in his place by Tomoe. He fell in love with Nanami when she saves his life from her cruel classmates by releasing him out the window while in snake form. He starts off as being eerie, even bordering on creepy, but is eventually shown to be just lonely and more than a little bit naive. Eventually, he becomes Nanami's familiar, which pisses Tomoe off big time.
- Cock Fight: With Tomoe over Nanami.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Mizuki has quite a bit of jealousy towards Tomoe and he is often seen trying to get Nanami to hate Tomoe by telling her lies and half-truths about him. Like the first time he used his little time travel incense burner.
- Dark and Troubled Past : when you realize he may have hatched when his former godess was still fighting bad youkais. And what happened next ...
- Dreadful Musician: His attempts to play the flute leave something to be desired.
- Fish out of Water: How he fares in the human world.
- Gender-Blender Name: Like Tomoe, Mizuki is a female Japanese name.
- Genius Ditz: He's very good with magic, but not so much with planning or even interacting with other people. Some of the stunts he pulls, like the attempted Shotgun Wedding, are pretty damn dumb.
- Happiness in Slavery: He's just a little bit too glad to be a familiar.Mizuki: "...the wonderful feeling of being dominated by the god...so irresistible! Please, say it again, Nanami-chan! Bind me with the invisible chain!"
- Humans Through Alien Eyes: Mizuki knows next to nothing about human culture or dealing directly with humans on a regular basis. Just witness his little trip into Tokyo.
- Insistent Terminology: Refers to himself as Divine Beast as opposed to a Yokai. Tomoe ends up screaming at him That's the same thing, Idiot!
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Very obviously has a crush on Nanami and is a rival to Tomoe for her affection and attention. Still, he helps Nanami save Tomoe on more than one occasion simply because Nanami cares about Tomoe.
- Non-Action Guy: Mizuki seems to be stronger than any human and has quite a few magical tricks up his sleeve but so far he hasn't shown any fighting skill, despite being a familiar.
- Not So Different: Like Tomoe Mizuki was waiting for a god that would never come back. Then there is love for and loyalty to Nanami they both share. And even though he usually acts all nice and innocent, Mizuki can be just as much of a Jerk Ass as Tomoe when he wants to.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: He never hesitates to ask for others' help when he needs it. Noticeable as he is the only character with this trait so far.
- Obliviously Evil: In his first episode; he honestly didn't realize that kidnapping Nanami and attempting to almost forcefully marry her was wrong. Fortunately, he gets better.
- Shotgun Wedding: Tries to do this to Nanami which wasn't exactly the smartest thing he has ever done.
- Skilled, but Naïve: Mizuki knows quite a bit about magic and the supernatural and divine subjects. Knows next to nothing about human society and has trouble even interacting with other people.
- Snakes Are Sexy: He can turn into a snake.
- The Rival: Tries to outdo Tomoe as being Nanami's most useful familiar.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Despite everything he seems to view Tomoe as a friend and even kindred spirit considering how he and Tomoe both lost their masters.
- Disproportionate Reward: To Nanami. Running off a not-so-threatening and a not-so-big dog doesn't usually warrant godhood. Turns out that it isn't. The real reason he rewarded her is because Nanami created a Stable Time Loop and told a past version of him her life story, setting that plot in motion.
- The Matchmaker: His specialty is marriages after all.
- Odd Friendship: With Otohiko.
- Parental Substitute: He is by far a better parental figure than Nanami's real father.
- Pretty Butterflies: Mikage can turn into a butterfly.
- Team Dad: Once he came back he started acting as the father figure for the whole shrine. Right down to the part of making Nanami focus on her school work and scolding Tomoe when he acted inappropriately.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Mikage is stated and shown to have a deep fear of dogs. Somewhat ironically he picked Tomoe as his familiar even though he was a Kitsune (the fox is a relative of the dog family.)
Yonomori MitsuhaYonomori Mitsuha is a water god whose shrine was built by the people of a village that feared that the reason a nearby river often washed away children was because of a curse. However, as a god born to met the needs of the people in her village, she disappears when the people of her village eventually leave. She was Mizuki's goddess. Nanami later meets a younger Mitsuha during her time traveling into the past.
- Affectionate Nickname: When she meets Nanami in the past, young Yonomori asks her if she can call her "Nana-chan".
- The Cutie: As a child she was adorable.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: A non romantic example towards Mizuki. Yonomori wanted him to find love and live happily even after her death.
- Parental Substitute: She raised Mizuki as her familiar since he was an egg.
Voiced by: Hyo-sei (Japanese), Lydia Mackay (English), María Fernanda Morales (Latin American Spanish)She is the goddess of thunder and lightning. She is known to take a sadistic delight in abusing her familiars and she goes through new sets of them at an unheard of rate (this even earns her an in-series nickname). When she learns that Nanami is Tomoe's new master, she thinks that her chance has finally come to make him her familiar.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Tomoe is not exactly pleased that he has attracted her attention.
- Bad Boss: She treats her familiars poorly to say the least.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Initially claims that she has sympathy with Nanami and wants to take over her place to take away this burden from her.
- Shock and Awe: She is the goddess of thunder and lightning.
- Vain Sorceress: Narukami is a goddess but otherwise she fits this stereotype perfectly.
The god of war. He looks down on Nanami for being a weak human. An attitude that latter cause him to get his ass handed to him by Tomoe. Than we latter find out he is the reason Tomoe was lying wounded on the riverbank at the start of Yukiji romance arc.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Was on both the giving and receiving end of one.
- Unusual Ears: The guy looks little like an elf with those ears.
Voiced by: Naoko Matsui (Japanese), Dawn M. Bennett (English), Circe Luna (Latin American Spanish)She's the ruler of Yomi-No-Kuni.
Voiced by: Hiroki Takahashi (Japanese), Ian Sinclair (English), Héctor Emmanuel Gómez (Latin American Spanish)A Wind God who is more than a little effeminate. He was assigned to give the God's Summit Invitation test to Nanami and Kayako by Ookuninushi and was also in on the fact that the test results were already preplanned for Nanami to win. Otohiko is sometimes casual and can sometimes be a little insulting or melodramatic in his manner of speaking. When speaking with, spoken to by, or simply being in Ookuninushi's presence, Otohiko acts very girly. Otohiko is good friends with Mikage, who in turn also sees him as a close friend. They are often seen together in the anime, and in the manga it was also strongly hinted that they were close friends.
- Ambiguously Gay: Nanami even calls him a homosexual at one point though his actual sexual orientation has yet to have been determined.
- Bishounen: Which doesn't help the ambiguously gay case one damn bit.
- Bishie Sparkle: Whenever he shows up it looks like a disco ball just exploded.
- Blow You Away: His powers.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: His Ambiguously Gay mannerisms and other personality quirks aside, Otohiko is very good at what he does. Still, even his best friend, Mikage, says he can't believe Otohiko is a diety sometimes.
- Odd Friendship: With Mikage.
Voiced by: Showtaro Morikubo (Japanese), Tyson Rinehart (English), Unknown (Latin American Spanish)The God of Wealth, Ookuninushi is a famous god amongst the gods. He is very dramatic, flashy and tends to overreact but is rather charming. He was first mentioned in Chapter 9 where he had lent Narukami his Lucky Mallet. The Yearly God's Summit was held in his shrine and he was the one who arranged the test to go to the God's Summit between the two human gods Nanami and Kayako. Ookuninushi had actually invited Nanami so she could guard Yomotsuhira, the Yomi-no-kuni's boundary.
- Coat Cape: Sports this look.
- Chick Magnet: He has attracted the eye of many female gods.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Otohiko is head over heels for him although he doesn't seem to return the affection.
- Manipulative Bastard: Yeah Kayako, about that little test...
The Fallen God/KuromaroThe person whom Tomoe has made a contract with in the past to turn him into human.
- Dark is Not Evil: He is actually a very nice person.
- Died Happily Ever After: He didn't afraid of dying and would happy to die to bound people's fates and promises together.
After Tomoe, who was disguised as Nanami, saved Ami from a demon, she began to hang around with Nanami and became her official friend when Nanami helped her talk with Kurama, whom Ami had a crush on at the time. She appears to have some form of extrasensory perception when it comes to spiritual matters, and she thinks that Nanami is a miko.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: If her falling while running in the school is any indication.
- Friendship Moment: Has these with Nanami over the course of the manga.
- Insecure Love Interest: She fears that her infatuation with Kurama is hopeless.
- Tomoe reinforced this when the girls were commenting on her feelings for Kurama. Given what they didn't know then, he basically sounded like "he is a super popular idol, you're just an ordinary, average girl. He is totally out of your league, so forget it". She agreed and kept smiling.
- Involuntary Shapeshifter: Thanks to Unari. She gets better.
- Panty Shot: Much to Isobe's amusement.
- Plucky Girl: She is always, always smiling, even when she is actually feeling hurt or sad (see Insecure Love Interest).
- Rescue Romance: How she falls for Kurama.
- Shipper on Deck: For Nanami and Tomoe.
- Single Girl Seeks Most Popular Guy: It happens that Kurama is an idol, but it is really...
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: See Rescue Romance.
- Shrinking Violet: Has shades of this.
- Unrequited Love: Again, towards Kurama.
- As of recent chapters, it might not be so unrequited.
Voiced by: Shuta Morishima (Japanese), Corey Cleary-Stoner (English), Miguel Ángel Leal (Latin American Spanish)A boy who bullies Nanami for her poverty.
- Loving Bully: A classmate asks him if he is this but he denies it.
- Considering he was also starting to mock Ami for the Panty Shot incident, it may be true.
A "living god" from Kyoto, Kayako hails from the famous Hiiragi family which is said to have produced powerful psychics for many generations. She has many followers and in the public eye she is shown to be quite calm and cool, but in private, she is quick-tempered and arrogant. She does, however, show that she can be wise, understanding and even nice when she wants to. She comes to Nanami's school as an exchange student and becomes her rival in the contest to see who is more suitable to go to the god summit.
- Adapted Out: She does not appear in the anime adaptation.
- Defeat Means Friendship: She and Nanami become friends.
- Enemy Without: Her shikigami manifests as this.
- Gamer Chick: Really likes video games. In fact, she comments that playing video games is one of the few ways she can actually enjoy herself.
- Not So Different: She is one of the few people that believes humans can love Yokai besides Nanami. Also, she just wants to be a normal teenage girl much like Nanami.
- Her witchy attitude towards Nanami is all the more aggravating when one recalls that Nanami actually is a land god, while Kayako is completely human, albeit with psychic/spiritual abilities. Which one of them is a "wanna-be god" again?
- Out of Focus: Disappears from the story after her arc is resolved.
Voiced by: Kaori Shimizu (Japanese), Kristi Kang (English), Karen Vallejo (Latin American Spanish)Ami's and Nanami's classmate friend.
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: The reason why she hasn't found a proper boyfriend yet.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She wants a boyfriend, but a supportive and respectful one.
Voiced by: Suzuko Mimori (Japanese, TV series), Fumiko Orikasa (Japanese, OAD), Tia Ballard (English), Jessica Ángeles (Latin American Spanish)A beautiful peasant girl from the past, who knew Tomoe and was his lover. She was adopted into a noble family after her original village was destroyed by youkai with some non too subtle hints that Tomoe had a part in it.]
- Arranged Marriage: Her adoptive family does this for her. After some bad suitors, she ends up marrying a young lord who loves her as much as she loves him.
- Break the Cutie: Let's see, her village gets destroyed by demons, losing her home, her family and friends. She get's adopted and marries into money, still she develops good relations with her adoptive family and her husband's, after some years she finally gets pregnant... Only for that family to be wiped out by Akura-Ou. And though she hates demons with a passion she ends up becoming dependent on Tomoe, as she needs his help to stay alive and give birth to her child.
- Cool Big Sis: To Nanami and Fuuta, with a bit of "cool mother" mixed in.
- Doomed Hometown: With hints that Tomoe might have been involved in the destruction.
- Fantastic Racism: When she first encounters Nanami she hates youkai to the point her response to hearing the village militia is hunting down a wounded Tomoe is to throw a little party.
- Happily Adopted: After the destruction of her home village, a rich merchant adopts her. She seems to be quite happy with this.
- Happily Married: With her husband. Sadly it only lasts for a few years.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: After being married for many years and not being able to get pregnant, even though she loves him, she asks her husband to search for a younger wife/concubine who would be able to give him heirs.
- But he answers her that why would he look for another wife when he has her... And they both love each other a lot!
- Posthumous Character: She dies before the story begins.
- Rags to Riches: Used to be an ordinary peasant girl but is eventually adopted into a well off family.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: She is a gorgeous young woman, but it brings her more trouble than anything... Unwanted male attention, youkai and human alike.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Nanami is mentioned to look a lot like Yukiji, and Yukiji keeps recalling the warmth of her birth-family whenever she is with Nanami. The reason is that Nanami is her descendant.
Voiced by: Ryohei Kimura (Japanese), Chris Burnett (English), Miguel Ángel Ruíz (Latin American Spanish)One of the main supporting characters Kotarou is a 18 year old boy first introduced Himemiko requested Nanami to help her to find him because of she had a crush on him. Kotarou was shy around Himemiko when he first met her and because of his low self-esteem he doubts at first that Himemiko actually loves him and that it might just be a cruel prank of some kind. After getting to know her, he grew fond of her and eventually fell in love with her. He also forms a friendship with Nanami and Sukuna.
- Adorkable: It's part of the reason Himemiko falls for him.
- Butt Monkey: Implied to be in-universe. Why else would he think Himemiko having a crush on him might just be a cruel prank?
- Cry Cute: The reason Himemiko fell for him when he was a child.
- May Fly December Romance: He falls in love with the older Himemiko.
- Non Human Lover Reveal : He didn't took it very well, at first.
- True Love Is Exceptional: He loves Himemiko even if she isn't a human and even when she loses her human-like appearance.
- Understanding Boyfriend: To Himemiko, after some Character Development on his part.
SukerokuSukeroku, also known as Suke, is an inhabitant and guard for Yukiji's village. He seems to have a lot of respect for Yukiji, despite the other villagers, especially the other local guards, feeling the opposite. He is very cheerful and thoughtful, a bit childish and is seen to have a liking for sake. However, he is apparently clumsy, complains a lot and gets tired fast.
FuutaFuuta is Yukiji's servant. He admires Yukiji and wishes for her happiness due to her hard life after the destruction of her village, fully supporting her decision to marry. However, due to this regard for Yukiji, he gets mad very easily when people insult her. He also seems to see her as a mother-like figure. He also treats Nanami as a big sister, calling her by name without a title.
- Big Brother Instinct: To "Himetarou" who is Tomoe disguising himself as child so he could escape and heal his injuries.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: While he doesn't love Yukji in a romantic sense, he cares a lot for her and hopes that she'll be able to be happy.
Voiced by: Wataru Hatano (Japanese), Andrew Chandler (English), Dafnís Fernández (Latin American Spanish)Kurama's brother, Jirou is currently the fourth chief of Kurama Mountain; leading all other tengu due to his unsurpassed strength and speed. Jirou is initially portrayed as a cruel leader. He is shown to be merciless and banished many other tengu when they showed any sign of weakness.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: When Nanami says that he shouldn't have to survive alone.
- Easily Forgiven: After the dust has settled from his and Kurama's story arc, the other tengu are pretty forgiving towards him and willing to take him back as leader despite the years of harsh treatment they received from him and the fact that his Took a Level in Kindness moments were only shown towards Nanami.
- I Will Only Slow You Down: After he saves Nanami.
- Laser-Guided Karma: He puts Kurama in life-threatening danger in the lair of the Raijiuyuu, which almost cost Kurama his life and cost Suirou his wings. Later, Jirou finds himself in the lair of the beast and gets wounded really badly. Granted, by this time, he was slowly changing for the better thanks to Nanami's influence and falling in love with her but based on how he had treated Kurama in the past, what happened to him still wasn't completely uncalled for.
- Love Confession: To Nanami, after he just took the bullet for her.
- Never Gets Drunk: Or at least has a very high alcohol tolerance much to Kurama's and Tomoe's dismay.
- Sex Is Evil and I Am Horny: A milder version of this trope. The Tengu of Kurama Mountain are not supposed to have contact with women, so when he falls for Nanami, he ends up very conflicted.
- Taking the Bullet: Does this for Nanami.
- That Didn't Happen: Does this immediately after he asks Nanami if she will stay on Kurama Mountain.
Voiced by: Daisuke Kishio (Japanese), Sean O'Connor (English), José Gilberto Vilchis (Latin American Spanish)A wildly popular music idol with the gimmick of being a "fallen angel", with goth makeup and a bad boy attitude. He serves very, very briefly as an antagonist in the series before Tomoe puts him in his place. Eventually becomes a friend of Nanami's and a rival for her affection to Tomoe. Personality wise, Kurama is very charismatic and due to his popularity, very arrogant and selfish as well.
- All the Other Reindeer: He was marginalized because he hadn't mastered flying at the appropriate age and he got special treatment for being the chief's son.
- Beneath the Mask: The real Kurama is not the arrogant, self-assured and indifferent guy he wants people to believe.
- Big Brother Mentor: Suirou was one for him. And now he is one for Mizuki and Tomoewhen it comes to humans and the human world. Not that Tomoe likes it …
- Big Brother Worship : worshiped Suirou as a child … even now probably. And Botanmarou admires him.
- Bishounen: There is a reason all the teenage girls in the series and even some of the boys like him.
- Boy Band: Is the leader of one.
- Broken Pedestal: He gets put on one when Nanami finds out what he's really like. Their relationship gets better afterwards and they become friends but Nanami's school girl crush on him by then has faded.
- Butt Monkey: He is usually a target of Tomoe's Comedic Sociopathy and then there is his relationship with Jirou.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Kurama has a low alcohol tolerance, best exemplified by the time he tried to get Jirou drunk.
- Celeb Crush: How most of Nanami's class reacts to him.
- Cock Fight: Has this often with Tomoe.
- Dark and Troubled Past : was ostracised because he was the only biological son of the chief in a society where everyone is family and stays together, was regulary mocked and beaten for not living to Tengu's expectations … He was so used to it that he didn't even realized he was lonely before Suirou started tooking care of him. And then, Suirou, sacrificed his ability to fly to save his life. Kurama feels a lot of guilt although, according to the anime,it wasn't his fault to begin with. No wonder he left the mountain.
- Even the Guys Want Him: In-universe. He has also many male fans.
- The Exile: He left willingly, but every Tengu who leaves Kurama Mountain becomes this.
- Friendless Background: See Darkand Troubled Past.
- Fish out of Water: Averted. Unlike other youkai, he has spent quite some time living in the human world and has adapted completely to it. He is quite proud of it, too.
- Guyliner: Considering how he is a teen pop idol it is not too surprising that he should wear make-up.
- Heel–Face Turn: Upon his introduction, he was very briefly an antagonist who wanted to eat Nanami's heart to attain her godhood. Mellows out majorly after being defeated by her and Tomoe.
- I Just Want to Be Loved : deep down, he just wants to be accepted for who he really is.
- I Just Want to Have Friends : probably the reason why he keeps hanging out with Nanami and co.
- Eros : not clearly said but depending on how you interpret what he thinks at the end of the Inari Arc, that could be true too
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: The reason why he loves Nanami.
- more like get interested into (be it in a romantic way or just in a friendly one) her. Since Youkaï love longer and deeper, he would still show attraction for Nanami if he had really have feelings for her. Which is not the case.
- Instant Fanclub: He gets one when he joins Nanami's school.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The first time Nanami meets him he acts like a regular asshole. He mellows out a little afterwards but he still has his moments.
- Lady Killer In Love: He starts to fall for Nanami following, and partly because of, the ostrich incident.
- Money to Throw Away: He slips a considerable amount of money into Nanami's pocket in his introduction story but to him is pocket change.
- Most Definitely Not A Demon: He's terrified of the idea that his fans will find out what he really is and when Tomoe and Mizuki spill the beans to one of Nanami's classmates his denial left something to be desired.
- Sixth Ranger: Becomes one for Nanami and co.
- Stepford Smiler: You see that smiling, self-assured guy? Well, a good part of it is just an act.
- Teen Idol: Well, aside from the fact that he isn't human and we do not know for sure how old he is, he meets all the other criteria.
- He left the mountain at the age of 12, 16/17 years ago. So that would make him 28/29. But considering youkais lifespam he is still very young.
- Winged Humanoid: Standard with all Tengu, and he uses it as part of his Idol Singer gig, saying that he is a fallen angel.
Voiced by: Daisuke Hirakawa (Japanese), Bryce Papenbrook (English), Unknown (Latin American Spanish)Suirou is much beloved by the tengu in the Kurama Mountain and even Kurama argues that Suirou would be a much better chief than Jirou. He took care of Kurama during his childhood and was the first to show him affection. He was also the most skilled at flying among the tengu until he lost his wings while protecting Kurama. The tengu also consider him to be very beautiful, more beautiful even than Nanami.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Lampshaded by the Tengu children and even by Nanami.
- Taking the Bullet: Did this in the past for Kurama.
Numa no Himemiko
- Animal Motif: A catfish.
- Cry Cute: The reason why she fell for Kotarou.
- The Fashionista: Becomes this about human clothes.
- Shota Con: Fell in love with Kotarou when he was 8.
- True Love Is Exceptional: She fell in love with a young boy of a different species and deeply loves him no matter what.
- Verbal Tic: She clacks her teeth together loudly when she is agitated or confused.
- Yandere: Shows a bit of this after breaking up with Kotarou. They get better, though.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: In her human form she has light purple hair.
Voiced by: Daisuke Namikawa (Japanese), Robert McCollum (English), Daniel del Roble (Latin American Spanish)The Dragon King (Ryuuou) of the Seven Seas, Sukuna is a proud man who always loves a good fight. This guy has a been waiting to seek revenge against Tomoe for 526 years for ripping out his right eye and attacking the north gate of his castle. Though aggressive and temperamental, he is afraid of his wife's anger. She disapproves of his fights, saying they mar his beautiful face. He is forced to give up his grudge against Tomoe after she befriends Nanami.
- Big Brother Mentor: Becomes this to Kotarou.
- Boisterous Bruiser: He's actually a pretty fun guy to be around even though he is always spoiling for a fight.
- Cute Little Fangs: Look at his picture above.
- Eyepatch of Power: He needs one because Tomoe ripped out his right eye.
- Henpecked Husband: So very much, but they seem to love each other a lot though.
- Hot-Blooded: Aggressive? Check. Temperamental? Check. Burningly passionate about everything that he does? Double Check!
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: His hot-blooded nature does result in him picking fights, callously ignoring his wife's desires, and being fairly insulting in general. That said, he makes an effort to help out people he sees in trouble - he makes sure to save Nanami from drowning despite not even knowing her at the time, for example.
- Scars Are Forever: He has a scar under his left eye, most likely given by Tomoe when he stole said eye.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Well, more like purple...
Voiced by: Akemi Okamura (Japanese), Anastasia Munoz (English), Xochítl Ugarte (Latin American Spanish)Kamehime is Sukuna's wife. She befriends Nanami. When she is spends a long time away of her husband she likes to make clothes or embroidery for him.
- Cute Little Fangs: When she is angry...
- Happily Married: She does love her husband... But she is a bit domineering towards him.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Purple, like her husband.
Voiced by: Junichi Suwabe (Japanese), Brandon Potter (English), Ricardo Tejedo (Latin American Spanish, Akura-Ou), Dan Frausto (Latin American Spanish, Kirihito)Also referred to as the Evil King, Akura-Ou is a brutal and sadistic demon and the current Big Bad of the series and someone who very much enjoys killing. He consistently shown to be arrogant, violent and confident in his powers along with quick-tempered and somewhat of a brat that is used to getting his way. Six hundred years ago he wrecked havoc to the world of both yokai and humans alike. He and his partner were so powerful that not even the gods of Izumo could defeat them.After being captured by the gods he was sent to Yomi-no-Kuni and split, his soul sealed into a group of rocks whilst his immortal body thrown into eternal fiery flames.
- Adorkable: Whenever he's happy. See Psychopathic Manchild below.
- And I Must Scream: Let's see, his soul was ripped from his body and sealed in a cavern with no light, no outside contact for centuries while his body was tossed in a lake of fire. Yeah, I would say that qualifies.
- AntiVillain: Played with in recent chapters, where he begins showing more sympathetic emotions, e.g. anger when Yatori kills his familiar en route to the Mountain of Fire in Yomi.
- Big Bad: The main antagonist of the series.
- Bad Boss: His underlings don't have the longest life expectancy given his You Have Failed Me tendencies and willingness to assign them difficult, if not outright impossible, tasks.
- Blood Knight: This guy takes pleasure in meaningless, blood thirsty massacres.
- Clingy Jealous Guy: He is jealous whenever Tomoe does not pay attention to him.
- Demonic Possession: Kirihito is dead and this guy is possessing his body.
- The Dreaded: Everybody is scared of him, even the gods, for good reason. The only exception seems to be Tomoe.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Eventually comes to love Kirihito's mother as if she was his own after much Character Development and kind words from said mother and Nanami.
- Evil Is Petty: His only real motivation is having fun and destroying things that takes Tomoe's attention away from him.
- Far-Out Foreigner's Favorite Food: He really likes those canned peaches that Nanami brought back with her.
- He-Man Woman Hater: He considers women boring and not fun at all.
- Knight of Cerebus: When Akura-Ou shows up things get darker and people start dying violent, bloody deaths and in large numbers.
- Large Ham: Whenever he gets excited about something.
- Monster Sob Story: He's indubitably evil, but it's hard not to feel at least a tiny twinge of empathy for him during his flashback to his first incarceration in Yomi-no-Kuni, his reaction to "awakening" in the world of the living, and his reaction to Nanami's finding him during his second incarceration.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: He is called the Evil King for a reason.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: He took a musket volley to the face without so much as a headache afterwards.
- Pride: He remains arrogant and confident all the time; even after inhabiting Kirihito's body, where he has a habit of over-estimating and endangering said human body.
- Psychopathic Manchild: One moment his playful, happy and even silly... the next, he brutally murders dozens of people.
- Slasher Smile: This is pretty much his default facial expression.
- Treacherous Advisor: To Kayako Hiragi.
- Villainous Friendship: He and Tomoe used to be quite close, to the point they even called each other brother.
- When He Smiles: Naturally, this refers to all his non-Slasher Smiles.
- Yandere: Destroys everything and everyone that Tomoe cares about because it takes attention away from him.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Abandons Kayako the minute she is no longer useful to him. Noticing a pattern here?
Prince of Inunaki Swamp. Beautiful, rich and arrogant; Nishiki is every bit the spoiled, pompous aristocrat. Already at this young age was he betrothed to Himemiko in order to unite their kingdoms and have control over Tatara Swamp. He's Himemiko's fiancee.
- Character Development: He is first portrayed as a pompous ,arrogant man who thinks of nothing but himself and fully trusted his advisor, Shiranui, to handle all his affairs. After he meets Nanami he learns to apologize, think for himself, love and let go.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: When it becomes clear that Kotarou still loves Himemiko, Nishiki dissolves the engagement for her sake.
- Shotgun Wedding: Himemiko really doesn't want to marry him. Nishiki forces the issue.
- Spoiled Brat: At first... He later becomes Spoiled Sweet.
Voiced by: Hiro Shimono (Japanese), Christopher Guerrero (English), Unknown (Latin American Spanish)A mysterious youkai who wishes to help Akura-Ou. He promises to take over Kurama mountain to show his strength. Originally, he was known as "Furball," because, well, he resembled a furball. Back then he was constantly ignored and ridiculed for his looks and body odor. He attempted to gain strength to impress Akura-Ou and when then that didn't work he killed Suke and took over his body.
- Butt Monkey: Five hundred years ago he was, his present day version still is too some degree.
- The Chessmaster: His scheme to take over Kurama mountain definitely shows aspects of this.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Wants Akura-Ou to only care for him if any.
- Evil All Along: Even more evil that Akura-ou, the evil king, after some Character Development.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: He was pathetic when he first showed up five hundred years ago when he was bullied by everyone, including Tomoe.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He is very jealous of Tomoe, especially concerning his relationship with Akura-Ou.
- Yandere: For Akura-ou, played painfully straight and is willing to kill anyone to make Akura-Ou care for him back.
KikuichiA shikigami who serves Kirihito. He distrusts Yatori.
Voiced by: Nick Haley (English), Unknown (Latin American Spanish)