Characters: Kamen Rider Fourze Anti Zodiarts Union
An enigmatic organization opposed to the Zodiarts, and creators of the Meteor System. Their base of operations is the M-BUS (Meteor-Backup Satellite), which fires a beam of Cosmic Energy that enables the transformation into Kamen Rider Meteor.
- Early-Bird Cameo: If you go back to the first episode, the M-BUS can be seen.
- Expy: Most of Ryusei and Tachibana's interactions are similar to that of the interactions between Terui Ryu and Shroud, while the formers being similar to the latters in nearly every way. It almost feels like a dark take on their relationship, as Tachibana has Ryusei on a tighter leash than Shroud with Ryu. Nearly everything went to hell between Ryusei and Tachibana. Whereas Shroud used Ryu for her own gain, but was at best an anti-hero, Tachibana used Ryusei for his own goals, and is The Dragon to the Big Bad. However, it's subverted and it turns out that Tachibana had clear intentions. Possibly more clearer than Shroud's own intentions, though he had a shorter life expectancy than Shroud's. The only thing that went right, even better than how it happened with Shroud, is that Fourze and Meteor were able to combine powers and create Meteor Fusion States.
- Homage: The name of the group itself is a homage to the Anti-Shocker Union of the original Kamen Rider.
- Kill Sat: The M-BUS can function as one.
- Space Station: The Union's headquarters.
open/close all folders
Ryusei Sakuta/Kamen Rider Meteor
Ryusei Sakuta/Kamen Rider Meteor
Live Actor: Ryo Yoshizawa
A mysterious transfer student who secretly fights as Kamen Rider Meteor. While he acts awkward and shy to gain the trust of those around him, his true persona is that of a super-serious loner who is coldly dedicated to his mission. He is attempting to awaken the Aries Zodiarts, believing that its powers can be used to save the life of Jiro Iseki, his best friend and fellow martial artist who fell into a coma after a failed attempt to activate a Zodiarts Switch.
- Aloof Ally: He'll fight with the Kamen Rider Club, but he's not going to fight with them as partners. Initially.
- And I Must Scream: Gets sent to the Dark Nebula after Tachibana reveals himself to be Virgo in #41.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Subverted. He seems to be level-headed and calm, but the idea of letting Lynx Zodiarts go before Fourze can stop him from becoming a Horoscopes didn't make him a good guy in the eyes of the Kamen Rider Club.
- Tachibana notes this in Episode 27, stating that his strength has made him conceited, which is why he initially denied him the Meteor Storm upgrade.
- Also, he mocks Fourze giving into Lynx Zodiarts' wishes to protect JK, even though he's Meteor for the very same reason in saving his friend.
- However, in a twist of irony, when Cygnus Zodiarts used Tomoko in Episode 23 as a Human Shield, he hesitates. Granted, it used the shield ploy better than Lynx (read: moved Tomoko's head in the way of a Mars Breaker-backed punch)
- The irony returns in #30 when Libra transforms into Tomoko which prevents Meteor Storm from attacking him.
- The Atoner: During the tail end of #32 for killing Gentaro the previous episode. This even carries onto the following episode as he states "I will protect Gentaro". Ryusei's atonement carries over into the Fourze summer movie - one of the trailers has Ryusei declaring to the Uchuu Tetsujin that "I won't let Gentaro get killed again".
- Badass: Manage to kick the ass of Libra Zodiarts, despite him being a member of the Horoscopes. Not to mention his awesome Jeet Kune Do fighting style.
- Brought Down to Badass: During #32, after his ability to transform into Meteor is taken away for his actions. He still manages to kick tons of Dustard butt.
- Empowered Badass Normal: Practiced in martial arts before being Meteor.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Compared to many past second Riders, he prefers fighting hand-to-hand.
- Beneath the Mask: He pretends to be a friendly person, but truthfully can't stand Gentaro at all and is a morose, aloof guy at heart. Gentaro realizes the moment he sees him that he's wearing a mask and doesn't let him in the club until he gets a taste of what's under it.
- Becoming the Mask: Seems to be happening slowly. A good example is in Episode 26, where he notes that Shun and Miu's departure could be detrimental to the Club's function, just like Gentaro noted.
- Berserk Button: Gentaro taking down the potential Horoscopes Zodiarts before it has a chance causes Ryusei to damn near blow his cover.
- Another one was in Episode 20; Kengo's replies as to why he won't return to the club made him remember the altercation he had with Jiro. He was about to clock Kengo into Saturn if he had the chance.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves Gentaro just before he was going to be massacred by both Libra and Perseus Zodiarts in Episode 16. Does it again just as Lynx is about to pounce on him in Episode 17.
- And again in Episode 32, as it's his only way to protect the Kamen Rider Club whom he betrayed.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Was temporarily under Taurus's control in #40.
- Bruce Lee Clone
- Call Back: a Dream Sequence at the beginning of #29 shows Meteor fighting Perseus and Lynx, the two Zodiarts seen during his introduction.
- Catch Phrase: When he introduces himself to an enemy, "Kamen Rider Meteor, I'll decide your fate!"
- When he's in Storm States, "Kamen Rider Meteor Storm, my fate will deliver a storm!"
- The first one receives an inversion and a Call Back in the final episode.
Ryusei (to Leo Zodiarts): My fate is mine to decide. (Emphasis: editor)
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Sports an awesome one in #33 as he tries to prevent Yukina from getting too close to Gentaro.
- Cool Bike: The Machine Meteorstar. Part motorcycle, part satellite from the looks of it.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Jiro possessed a Zodiarts Switch but it backfired. Now the guy's in a coma and Ryusei's off to save him.
- Deal with the Devil: Allied himself with Aries Zodiarts to save Jiro. The first order of business? Kill Fourze!. Worse is that Aries kept his word...only for Jiro to relapse upon learning of what he did.
- Dynamic Entry: Meteor's henshin produces a Sphere of Power around him that allows him to fly in like...well, a meteor, which he's used in this fashion.
- Easily Forgiven: From Gentaro, the guy he killed in Episode 31 and who holds no real malice. The other KRC members follow suit. To his credit him Ryusei is genuinely remorseful of what he did.
- Eureka Moment: Gains one in Episode 22 regarding the identity of Pegasus Zodiarts when Shun mentions how they should be careful whenever Gentaro used Magnet States and after Kengo warned JK about the sensitivity of the equipment on the Rabbit Hatch.
- Expy: Yoshizawa states that his portrayal of Ryusei was influenced by Light Yagami from Death Note.
- False Friend: Invoked as part of his cover. Gentaro is actually Too Dumb to Fool and can tell right from the start that he was hiding his true self. However, Gentaro does accept him into the club after he punches him, because he picks up on the real him and wants to be the friend with that Ryusei.
- The "false" is even emphasized because he decided to no longer make any friends when Jiro stated that friendship was ridiculous.
- Finishing Move
- Starlight Shower: A series of fast punches, activated by placing the Meteor Switch in the Meteor Galaxy.
- Meteor Strike: A powerful kick activated by turning on the Meteor Switch in the Meteor Driver.
- Meteor Storm Strike: The same attack in Meteor Storm States, also using the Meteor Switch.
- Meteor Tornado: A spinning attack activated by turning on the Meteor Switch in the Meteor Driver.
- Meteor Storm Punisher: Inserts the Meteor Storm Switch into the Meteor Storm Shaft, after which the tip of the switch is shot out like a spinning top. It also absorbs the Zodiarts' Cosmic Energy and uses it against them. This has the added bonus of making it safe to destroy them thanks to draining off the extra energy.
- Funny Bruce Lee Noises: He seems inordinately fond of these.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door
- Heroic Sacrifice: In stark contrast to the above, when Kengo tells the Riders that the Gemini clone Gentarou is fighting is actually a mass of explosive energy, Ryuusei immediately abandons his fight with the actual Gemini, runs to Gentarou, tackles the clone off of him, and then pins it to the ground until it explodes.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The Meteor Storm Punisher is essentially a weaponized version. It absorbs the Zodiarts' own energy and uses it against them.
- Hypocrite: Mocks Gentaro into giving into Lynx Zodiarts in exchange for JK's safety. Yet, he's out there as Meteor so he can save his own friend.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: He admits in Episode 32 that all this time he wanted to be friends with Gentaro, but his determination to save Jiro ruined all of that (and ended up killing Gentaro). Cue him in a "My God, What Have I Done?" moment in the rain.
- Idiot Ball: Went after Cancer Zodiarts to an empty library and untransformed, without realizing he could still be in the room.
- Inner Monologue: Done to show his inner thoughts. The "echoing narration" version is used most of the time, but Episode 27 has an interesting variation: during his monologue, he's facing away from the Club (who seem to be frozen in place) and Meteor's henshin music is playing in the background.
- Japanese Pronouns: He normally uses "ore," but switches to "boku" when in his Ordinary High-School Student persona.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Mentally berates the members of the KRC but he can also be nice to them. He helped communicate with Kengo in Episode 19, stopped himself from punching Tomoko in the face in Episode 23, and help Shun and Miu realize that they're still important to the KRC.
- Slowly becoming less and less of a jerk, and at the end of Episode 32 he accepts Gentaro's hand of friendship for good.
- Kiai: In a manner similar to Bruce Lee's. Justified in that he fights using none other than Lee's Jeet Kune Do.
- Knight in Star-studded Armor: Seems to be going this way towards Tomoko, due to always showing up the moment right before she gets attacked.
- Let's You and Him Fight: briefly at the beginning of #18, since Gentaro was angry at him for letting Lynx run rampant.
- Made of Iron: You'd think Cygnus Zodiarts stamping on his arm would leave some kind of Game-Breaking Injury that would clue in the others on who he is. No such luck.
- Meaningful Name: "Ryusei" means meteor. And of course "Ryu" on its own is the same pronunciation as the Japanese for "dragon"... which is part of Bruce Lee's Chinese name. You gotta wonder why they didn't just go for that instead, as the whole cast uses the rarely employed inseki instead when talking about actual meteors, because if it wasn't the case his cover would be blown within five minutes!
- Mundane Utility: Meteor Storm Punisher...as a glorified golf swing!
- My God, What Have I Done?: Sure Jiro woke up and deactivated his Zodiarts Switch, but then he relapsed after losing his will to live over hearing of Ryusei's betrayal - all for his sake. Ryusei walks away through a Grey Rain Of Depression with sheer guilt in his heart, wondering if saving Jiro was worth killing Gentaro before breaking down and screaming Gentaro's name.
- Mysterious Protector: Even when we know who he is, he has tons of traits of this trope.
- New Transfer Student
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Untransformed in the library instead of just running off, unaware that Kijima is watching. Now Tachibana has to terminate his abilities!
- Nice Job Fixing It, Anti-Hero: Nearly blew his cover by punching Gentaro out of frustration over seeing him destroy Lynx Zodiarts, but it works to his advantage soon, since it allowed Gentaro to see a bit of the true Ryusei and have him join the Kamen Rider Club just so he can make friends with that Ryusei as opposed to the cover.
- Not so Above It All: Went through Character Development similar to Kengo's, making him finally join in some of the Club's antics.
- Even before the events of #32, a genuine comical side can be occasionally seen, such as when Miu announced Yuki as her successor as Club President, he reacts the same way as the other Club members.
- Not So Different: Gentaro once more. Even though they have different philosophies and goals, Ryusei will take the time to help out his fellow Kamen Rider Club members and cheer them up just like Gentaro does with everyone else he meets.
- Ryusei states that he's not different from the club in general. They try to do the best for each other, stick together through and through and would sacrifice themselves in order to help others.
- Oh Crap: At the end of #27, he's unable to transform into Kamen Rider Meteor due to him untransforming at a very wrong moment and Kijima observing it. Made even worse because the Meteor Switch makes Tachibana able to keep an eye on everything Ryusei does.
- At the end of #31 when Tachibana cancels Meteor's transformation, revealing his identity to the Kamen Rider Club!
- Only Friend: He may mock Gentaro for having so many friends and not taking things seriously, but the one thing that is keeping him from turning evil is that he's got a close friend - probably the only friend he'll ever consider - that he wants to save from a coma.
- Only Sane Man: To the Kamen Rider Club - except that he's having some doubts where Tomoko's witchcraft is concerned.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Dragon was so unstoppable back then that Meteor didn't want Dragon to evolve into a Horoscope.
- Pet the Dog: When Cygnus used Tomoko as a Human Shield, Meteor decided to halt his Mars Breaker punch to save her.
- Pre-Asskicking One-Liner: "I'll decide your fate!"
- Pride: While subtle, #27 highlights that he is arrogant. He believes that his identity as Meteor won't be found out and that he wants the new upgrade for Meteor because he doesn't believe the suit is capable of giving him the power he needs. Tachibana notes that his arrogance is getting in the way of his true strength, which is why not only does Ryusei get his identity discovered, but he doesn't get the Meteor suit back.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Gentaro's red. (One of two)
- The Rival: Seems to be one with Leo Zodiarts.
- Secret Identity: He needs to keep the identity of Meteor this or else the suit goes bye bye. Due to having the Idiot Ball in #27, it happens.
- But thanks to him killing Gentaro, Tachibana cancels the transformation so now the Kamen Rider Club knows.
- And in the end of #32 all of the Kamen Rider Club-minus Ohsugi who came in a little later-are sworn to keep the identity a secret.
- Shadow Archetype: This is Gentaro if Gentaro decided to just focus on his own needs rather than playing All-Loving Hero to others.
- Ship Tease: With Nozama. Even the Horoscopes seem to be shipping them, as it's exploited by Libra in episode #30 by turning into her to prevent Ryusei from finishing him off.
- Brought up again in #41, where he becomes enraged that Virgo/Tachibana sent "Tomoko-chan" (as what he's started to refer to her as) to the Dark Nebula. And in episode 42...Well the writers sure do love to tease, don't they?
- And even Ryo Yoshizawa/Ryusei Sakuta stated in his blog "So he actually like's Tomoko-chan!", after he said that Meteor was in Dark Nebula with Tomoko-chan.
- In #44 the KRC members are shipping them...Well mainly Yuki, because she was the one who made the couple ticket!
- In #47, with the Rabbit Hatch trashed and the Zodiarts attacking, he takes the time to make sure Tomoko is safe, even charging JK to watch out for her while he continues to fight.
- At the end of the series, Ryusei returns to Subaruboshi, and encourages Tomoko to visit him there, telling her that he is not dating Shirakawa as Tomoko thought.
- Sixth Ranger: He fights the Zodiarts as Meteor, but joins the club as Ryusei under false pretenses, that is until he begins Becoming the Mask.
- Sphere of Power: Meteor's henshin forms a blue energy sphere around him for a short time. Unlike most other henshin effects that come with a convenient defensive barrier, this one can actually do some damage.
- Star-Spangled Spandex
- Super Mode: Meteor Storm
- Surrounded by Idiots/Only Sane Man: How he compares his work with the Kamen Rider Club to be.
- Tempting Fate: Sure Ryusei, tell your supporter that your identity will never be found out. Surprise, surprise. It did. Nice job, idiot.
- Transfer Student Uniforms: He's even able to let Ohsugi let him wear it, once he shows him the School Handbook reguarding the uniformnote , also letting Gentaro finally off the hook for wearing his Delinquent style.
- Watch the Paint Job: when Meteor was chasing Pegasus, Fourze hitches a ride on the Meteorstar using the Winch Switch, causing Meteor to shout something similar.
- Weak, but Skilled: Lacks Fourze's sheer arsenal, but makes up for it by being a skilled martial artist.
- Weapon of Choice
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He lets Lynx Zodiarts go in the attempt to find out whether or not it will become the Horoscope General: Aries Zodiarts.
- He kills Gentaro so he could ask Aries Zodiarts to heal his friend.
- What the Hell, Hero?: In his debut episode, he's got flack from the Kamen Rider Club for letting the Lynx Zodiarts go free instead of letting them land the final blow on him.
- Episode 18 continues this with Tomoko screaming that Kamen Riders are supposed to be heroes, something that he definitely isn't in her eyes. However he brushes it off as he states that his view of justice isn't equal to what the Kamen Rider Club believe.
- He also gets partially called out by Cygnus for running away while Tomoko was on her own. At least Meteor didn't clock Tomoko in the face with a miniature Mars.
- He kills Gentaro with the one-inch punch so he could save Jiro by allying himself with Aries Zodiarts. Even Tachibana was shocked and had to cancel the Meteor Storm transformation, and now the whole Kamen Rider Club knows what's happened. Made even worse because Tachibana himself stated that he could try to find a cure to save Jiro once Aries was captured.
- The reason he did this was because Tachibana said he could TRY to save Jirou that way, not actually wake him up. Ryusei wants to save Jirou, and with the best Tachibana can do is only trying to save him, he went for the direct route, which is doing what the Aries Zodiarts wants so he can wake up Jirou.
- And then Jiro calls him out on what he did in #31, then goes unconscious for losing the 'will to live' thanks to Ryusei killing Gentaro.
- When He Smiles: In #26, he gives an honest smile that makes him seem that he's not a complete jerk after all.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: As Tachibana states in #27, "Because Cancer has discovered your identity, you can no longer be Meteor."
- Used again in #31, when Tachibana revokes his decision on Ryusei gaining Meteor's powers after he kills Gentaro. However, the ending implies Tachibana gives him the power back after he's been redeemed.
A masked man who resides in M-BUS, acting as support to Ryusei. His true identity is Kuniteru Emoto, aka Virgo Zodiarts
- Anonymous Benefactor: He's the one who sent Kengo the Gate Switch in the very beginning.
- Big Damn Heroes: #32, where he remote controls the Meteorstar as a distraction for Kengo to escape with Gentaro's body.
- Big Good: For Meteor. And as revealed in #32, the Kamen Rider Club as well, as he sent Kengo the Gate Switch that created the portal in the first place.
- The reason he had Ryusei go undercover in the Kamen Rider Club was apparently to help Fourze's powers to develop faster.
- Broken Pedestal: When revealed to be Emoto/Virgo, Ryusei doesn't take it well.
- Cool Mask
- Double Agent: Despite being Virgo, he was working AGAINST Gamou.
- Evil Mentor: Revealed to be Virgo, who is Gamou's right-hand man, has threatened to kill the entire Kamen Rider Club to weaken Gentaro, killed Kengo's father, and sent his student Meteor into the Dark Nebula. Though subverted in the long run since he also wants to betray Gamou.
- Famous Last Words: "It's okay, because in the end...I had friends..."
- Find the Cure: believes that studying the Aries Switch would allow him to find a way to heal Jiro. Ryusei, however, didn't take the chance, and considering who else Tachibana was, he might have used the Switch for something other than healing Jiro.
- Foreshadowing: A very easy-to-miss one which upon looking back leads to a developed twist: Tachibana tells Ryusei that Cancer is no longer of concern. One wonders how he knew that Cancer was out of the picture.
- Go Out with a Smile
- Know When to Fold 'Em: in #36, he believes the Leo Zodiarts is too powerful for Meteor to fight, and advises Ryusei to just flee the next time they meet.
- Hypocrite: Is part of the Anti-Zodiarts Union despite the fact that he is a Zodiarts himself.
- Not so, it seems; Emoto created the Tachibana cover identity so he could oppose Gamou without being discovered and killed.
- Mission Control: He is to Ryusei what Kengo is to Gentaro.
- Mythology Gag: Names himself after Tobei Tachibana, the man who aided the eight Showa Riders.
- Only One Name: And even then it's only implied to be but a pseudonym.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Aside from the Sadistic Choice below which was a Secret Test of Character anyway, he's generally supportive and supplies advice and information to Ryusei. And when Ryusei steps out of line in #31 by killing Gentarou to protect Aries, remotely deactivates the Meteor transformation immediately.
- Sadistic Choice: Makes Ryusei choose between getting his Super Mode and saving the Kamen Rider Club. It was a test. Had he sacrificed the Kamen Rider Club, he'd have not gotten the Meteor Storm Switch.
- Secret Test of Character: His Sadistic Choice. Had Ryusei chosen to get the Meteor Storm Switch instead of saving the Kamen Rider Club, he'd have been denied it.
- Shout-Out: Come on, the robotic Cool Mask? Daft Punk!
- Take Up My Sword: Acknowledges that he cannot fight on his own despite his goal of defeating the Zodiarts before their Cosmic Energy can cause more havoc. To this end he instead trains Ryusei to fight in his place.
- Makes sense when it's revealed Tachibana is the Virgo Zodiarts!