Sometimes a weapon is too heavy to swing around quickly, if swung at all. What better way to address this problem than making the weapon jet powered?
Sometimes, such a weapon will be used like a Jet Pack
or Not Quite Flight
. Rocket Punch
is a Sub Trope
Anime and Manga
- In Battle Angel Alita, the Badass Normal Ido uses a rocket-powered two handed pick when fighting cyborgs.
- Franky from One Piece uses pressurized weapons, which are powered by Cola bottles in his chest. The Jet Dials from the same series also work on this principle.
- In the Gecko Ending of the Soul Eater anime, Lord Death's city turned Humongous Mecha's arms use this, as well as for support.
- More powerful forms of Vita's Graf Eisen (size-changing warhammer) in Lyrical Nanoha use mini-jets for propulsion to increase strike force. Also, in Nanoha StrikerS, Erio's Strada (spear) is upgraded with jets that he can use to fly for short distances.
- Digimon's Journey To The West set makes the rake used by Zhu Bajie's stand in jet powered.
- In Warhammer 40,000, a hammer like this (with all orkish subtlety, it is actually an anti-tank rocket strapped to a hammer handle) is a weapon option for a tankbusta boyz team leader.
- R. Talsorian Games' Cyberspace supplement Solo of Fortune II. One of the new weapons introduced in the work is the Slamdance Inc. Hyper Hammer, which is a sledgehammer with a rocket built into the back of the hammer's head. When the hammer impacts a target and the rockets are set off, the hammer is swung into the target at supersonic speed, doing horrendous damage. It can be used twice bfeore requiring refueling (with jet fuel).
- Kirby: King Dedede's hammer.
- Pictured above: Big Bull from Anarchy Reigns, who uses a jet-powered hammer as his Killer Weapon.
- The Mass Blade Overed/Ultimate weapon in Armored Core V.
- Persona 4 Arena: Labrys' axe, which doubles as her Jet Pack.
- Several of the high-end club sets in Pangya have oversized club heads with afterburners.
- In the recent Telltale Back To The Future game, Young Doc invents a rocket-powered drill.
- In Spiral Knights, completing the downloadable "Operation: Crimson Hammer" mission will reward you with one of three increasingly powerful rocket hammers depending on what difficulty you beat it on.
- Super Robot Wars Alpha: Baran Doban's Bemidoban has a rocket-powered ball and chain.
- Also Sanger's (and later Rishu's) Grungust Type 0. Being the first super robot ever built they didn't quite have the super science to allow it defy physics quite hammered down yet so it's giant Colosal Blade needed thrusters attached to the blunt side of the blade to it to allow it to be wielded properly. In proper hands however this only lets it hit harder, although that means only the two aformentioned pilots can opperate it as opposed to the easy to understand controls of the other 3 Grungust models.
- League of Legends has Vi and her giant, rocket-powered Hextech gauntlets.
- Homestuck's Pogo Hammer is actually spring-powered, but acts like a standard rocket-powered weapon, right down to using it to gain altitude (along with just flying around like crazy bouncing off of enemies).