Sometimes a weapon is too heavy to swing around quickly, if swung at all. What better way to address this problem than making the weapon jet powered?
Sometimes, such a weapon will be used like a Jet Pack
or Not Quite Flight
. Rocket Punch
is a Sub-Trope
. See also Recoil Boost
Anime and Manga
- In Battle Angel Alita, the Badass Normal Ido uses a rocket-powered two handed pick when fighting cyborgs.
- In Code Geass several top Knightmares had rocket powered harpoones, Slash Harkens (most notably, Tristan) and Knightmares of Toudou both had a rocket powered sword, Brake Blade.
- Franky from One Piece uses pressurized weapons, which are powered by Cola bottles in his chest. The Jet Dials from the same series also work on this principle.
- In the Gecko Ending of the Soul Eater anime, Lord Death's city turned Humongous Mecha's arms use this, as well as for support.
- More powerful forms of Vita's Graf Eisen (size-changing warhammer) in Lyrical Nanoha use mini-jets for propulsion to increase strike force. Also, in Nanoha StrikerS, Erio's Strada (spear) is upgraded with jets that he can use to fly for short distances.
- Kon from Ixion Saga DT wields a rocket hammer sword.
- Kotetsushin Jeeg has a spiked, rocket-powered slap.
- One of Tony Stark's armors in Iron Man 3 has backhand-mounted repulsors designed for this purpose.
- Gipsy Danger from Pacific Rim has an "Elbow Rocket" move, giving its punch extra power.
- Digimon's Journey To The West set makes the rake used by Zhu Bajie's stand in jet powered.
- In Warhammer 40,000, The Ork Tankhamma (with all orkish subtlety, it is actually an anti-tank rocket strapped to a hammer handle) is a weapon option for a tankbusta boyz team leader.
- R. Talsorian Games' Cyberspace supplement Solo of Fortune II. One of the new weapons introduced in the work is the Slamdance Inc. Hyper Hammer, which is a sledgehammer with a rocket built into the back of the hammer's head. When the hammer impacts a target and the rockets are set off, the hammer is swung into the target at supersonic speed, doing horrendous damage. It can be used twice bfeore requiring refueling (with jet fuel).
- GURPS Ultra-Tech comes with many templates that can be applied to low-tech weaponry to make them far more effective against modern armor, including, you guessed it, an option to put a small solid rocket booster on the back end of an axe, mace, or spear for an extra-powerful swing (or, in the spear's case, a rocket-powered, ultra-long range throw).
- Kirby: King Dedede's hammer.
- Pictured above: Big Bull from Anarchy Reigns, who uses a jet-powered hammer as his Killer Weapon.
- The Mass Blade Overed/Ultimate weapon in Armored Core V.
- Persona 4 Arena: Labrys' axe, which doubles as her Jet Pack.
- Several of the high-end club sets in Pangya have oversized club heads with afterburners.
- In the recent Telltale Back to the Future game, Young Doc invents a rocket-powered drill.
- In Spiral Knights, completing the downloadable "Operation: Crimson Hammer" mission will reward you with one of three increasingly powerful rocket hammers depending on what difficulty you beat it on.
- Super Robot Wars Alpha: Baran Doban's Bemidoban has a rocket-powered ball and chain.
- Also Sanger's (and later Rishu's) Grungust Type 0. Since it was the first Super Robot built, The Federation didn't have the physics-defying super science figured out yet. Thus in order to make its Zankantou work, it has thrusters mounted on the reverse edge, which when used properly makes it hit incredibly hard. However, this also means that only the two aforementioned men are capable of piloting the Type 0 properly.
- League of Legends has Vi and her giant, rocket-powered Hextech gauntlets.
- In Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires, Xiahou Ba wields a Siege spear which is essentially a rocket spear.
- Devil May Cry 4 has the Red Queen, a sword with a jet engine built-in. By timing the trigger pull with a swing, Nero can power up his attacks dramatically.
- In the Enemy Within expansion to XCOM: Enemy Unknown, one of the secondary weapons available to a MEC Trooper is a Kinetic Strike Module, which is a rocket-assisted fist that can One-Hit Kill many adjacent enemies. Can be upgraded to deal even more damage and even allow you to use it twice in a single turn, meaning those pesky Chryssalids can be squashed more easily.
- Homestuck's Pogo Hammer is actually spring-powered, but acts like a standard rocket-powered weapon, right down to using it to gain altitude (along with just flying around like crazy bouncing off of enemies).