open/close all folders
Mistress Centipede (Mukade Jōrō)
The very first hostile demon in the series, is the one who kidnaps Kagome and drag her beyond the well. She's killed pretty quickly by Inu Yasha.
Voiced by: Rei Igarashi (JP), Pauline Newstone (EN), Adriana Casas (LA SP), Sonia Scotti (IT)
- Artistic License – Biology: Her centipede body has a snake-like skeleton. Given that she's a demon though, this may be justified.
- Back from the Dead: Was shown regenerating from a skeleton when she yanked Kagome into the well.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Anime only.
- Bowdlerise: Her breast size is reduced in the Viz dub, and when adapted from manga to anime, her nipples were not drawn.
- Clipped Wing Angel: Even after she transforms, as soon as Inuyasha is freed from his seal, however, he rips her apart with one attack.
- Creepy Centipedes and Snake People: She has the lower body of a centipede, which has snake-like bones.
- Cute Monster Girl: Her human part is actually pretty attractive... until she opens her mouth and reveals her fangs.
- Dark Action Girl: Less of a girl and more of your garden variety monster
- Fan Disservice: Her monstrous form.
- Full-Frontal Assault: As a strict animalistic carnivore, she doesn't feel the need to wear clothes.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Episode 147, set sometime before Kikyo's death, shows her being cut in half by Hiraikotsu - wielded at that time by Sango's grandfather, Shako - in a battle for the Shikon no Tama.
- Healing Factor: Due to the Shikon Jewel, she's able to regenerate limbs.
- Hostage for MacGuffin: In Episode 147, set prior to Kikyo's death, she attempts to kidnap Kaede with the intent to ransom her to Kikyo for the Shikon Jewel; fortunately, Inuyasha shows up and kills her before she can make good on her intent.
- Immortality Inducer: Via Shikon no Tama. Unlike other villains, she's rejuvenated just by being near it.
- Made of Plasticine: She gets splattered all over the place by Inuyasha.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: When she opens her mouth.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Has six arms, and that's without counting the huge number of insectile legs all over her body. And she's still a menace even without arms, seen when she bites a chunk of flesh from Kagome.
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: Sport breasts in her human form. Said breasts were apparently reduced in size in the English dub.
- Older Than They Look: Inuyasha calls her an old hag (although this may not have had anything to do with her age, and may instead have been a shot against her vanity, with Inuyasha's typical rudeness). Either way, she was around when Kikyo was still alive.
- One-Winged Angel: Sheds her human skin and transforms into a grotesque monster after eating the Shikon Jewel.
- Overly Long Tongue: Seen when she licks Kagome's face.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Again, her monstrous form.
- Starter Villain: A tougher one than most.
- The Worf Effect: For Kagome and the villagers she's an unstoppable, immortal killing machine. For Inuyasha she's a mere pest.
- Youkai: Centipede Mononoke/Omukade. Her mouth may be a nod to the Kuchisake Onna myth.
Yura of the Hair
One of the first dangerous villains seen in the series, she appears as a skimpy dressed ninja girl who can manipulate hair like wires. She's not a humanoid demon. Her human form is a mass of demonic hair. Her true form is a cursed haircomb.
- Affably Evil: She's a playful flirt even while fighting and killing.
- Cool Sword: Benigasumi (Crimson Mist), a short sword which can cut flesh but not the hair.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Wears very loose instep guards, leaving most of her feet bare.
- Human Resources: It's heavily implied that the hair she manipulates is taken from the hair of her victims.
- Invisible to Normals: Her hair wires can apparently only be seen by Kagome and Kaede; while they're being attacked by it, Kagome has to warn Inuyasha where her attacks are coming from.
- Kick the Dog: Knocking out the people of Kaede's village, then using her Prehensile Hair to control the unconscious girls and women into attacking Inuyasha and Kagome.
- Knight of Cerebus: After the Mistress Centipede and the Shibugarasu, she's a huge step up.
- Kunoichi: She dresses like one, anyway.
- Licking the Blade: Does this after slashing Inuyasha's chest.
- Marionette Master: Can use her hair strands to manipulate people as such.
- Moral Myopia: She calls out Inuyasha and Kagome for stealing the jewel shard from her... when she stole it from them in the first place.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Nothing Inuyasha and Kagome do causes her any lasting harm or pain until they realize that they have to attack her Soul Jar.
- No Body Left Behind: Turns to dust after death.
- Oh Crap!: Something Inuyasha lampshades during their fight as initially she just seems to take any attack of his in stride. However, when one of his attacks hits close to her Soul Jar she suddenly starts getting more serious. And she damn near loses it when Kagome manages to find the skull where her spirit, a comb, is hiding in.
- Our Liches Are Different: Pretty much what she is, given that her Soul Jar is a comb.
- Playing with Fire: Her comb, Onibigushi (Demon's fire comb) can spit flames.
- Prehensile Hair: Her power.
- Razor Floss: How her hair works.
- Soul Jar: As long as her real body (the comb) is intact she's safe.
- Starter Villain: The first time Inuyasha and Kagome work together to defeat an enemy.
- Stripperiffic: Not overly sexy, but still exposes a lot of leg
- Torso with a View: Inuyasha opens a gaping hole right between her breasts. She simply scolds him for trying to cop a feel.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Where she keeps the Shikon shards.
- What the Hell Are You?: Her reaction when Kagome, protected by Inuyasha's haori, is unharmed by her razor hair:"What are you? Why don't you bleed?!"
- Woman in Black
- Youkai: Probably a mix of different real life youkai.
The Raiju Brothers
A pair of Raiju looking for the Jewel, they murdered and skinned Shippo's father. The younger brother, Manten is big and beastly and obsessed with his lack of hair. The eldest brother Hiten is more human looking and wields a lightning pike.
Voiced by: Nobutoshi Canna (Hiten) and Tetsu Inada (Manten) (JP), Andrew Francis (Hiten) and Alvin Sanders (Manten) (EN), Gabriel Ortiz (Hiten) and Jorge Ornelas (Manten) (LA SP), Stefano Crescentini (Hiten) and Nanni Baldini (Manten) (IT), Remi Caillebot (Hiten) and Pierre-Stefan Montagnier (Manten) (FR)
- Berserk Button:
- DO NOT do anything to Manten's hair.
- Hiten goes really apeshit when his brother confesses that he accidentally let the Shikon Jewel fragments go and took Kagome instead. He also goes berserk after his brother's death.
- Blade on a Stick: Hiten's weapon, the Raigekijin.
- Breath Weapon: Manten's power.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Hiten and Manten really love each other, to the point that Hiten cries when Manten is killed. The anime made it into a real Tear Jerker.
- Flight: Manten use a dark thundercloud, Hiten has two wheel thingies hovering next to his feet.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Hiten's fate.
- Human Resources: Manten planned to process Kagome into a mystical hair tonic.
- Kick the Dog: Hiten bloodily kills a demon girl (as in, "punch her through her head") purely for being next to him when Manten tells him something that upsets him greatly. Manten kills and skins Shippou's dad, then mocks Shippo's grief over it.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Manten's fate.
- Shock and Awe: Their powers.
- Villainous Valor: Hiten really cares for his little brother, even if he threatens him.
- Youkai: Raiju, of course.
A demonic Noh mask sealed at Higurashi Shrine, awakened in the present day by Kagome's Shikon Jewel shards.
- Artifact of Doom: A demonic mask that absorbs human flesh to make itself a body.
- Blob Monster: In the anime, the body the mask forms takes the form of black goo.
- Body Horror: Aside from having a Body of Bodies, the mask's flesh is continually rotting, causing it to seek out the Shikon Jewel to rectify it.
- Body of Bodies: In the manga, the mask's body was a mishmash of gore and limbs from the people it absorbed.
- Bowlderize: In the manga, the mask's body was a grotesque mishmash of blood, gore, and body parts. In the anime, it's an amorphous mass of black goo.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Eats humans and assimilates their flesh.
- Instant Expert: It manages to work out how to operate a fire truck fairly quickly, albeit recklessly/
An old oni witch known for creating living clay puppets. She's the one who resurrects Kikyo in a body of bone dust and dirt in order to have a powerful servant, but is eventually destroyed by her.
Voiced by: Yoshiko Ohta (JP), Cathy Weseluck (EN), Magda Giner (LA SP), Alina Moradei (IT)
- Asshole Victim: She attacked Kaede's village, desecrated Kikyo's grave, and brought Kikyo back, planning to use the revived Kikyo as her obedient servant; needless to say, it's hard to feel sorry for her when Kikyo turns on her and blows her away.
- Does Not Like Shoes
- Evil Old Folks: Damn...
- Flight: Like higher tier demons, she can do this.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The first thing Kikyo does as soon as she gets a soul is completely vaporize her.
- I Am A Humanitarian: Plans to devour Kagome's soulless body with Miso.
- The Necromancer: She can create both puppets and undead beings with burial dirt and bone's ash.
- No Body Left Behind: Pulverized after death, but not before a last Kick the Dog moment.
- No Plans, No Prototype, No Backup: Apparently, it never once occurred to her that the revived Kikyo would not be her obedient slave upon her revival.
- Small Role, Big Impact: She only lasts about one or two episodes, but is nonetheless the one responsible for Kikyo's resurrection.
- Sinister Scythe: Which she can use to cast a Sword Beam.
- Super Speed: On foot?, no, in the air, yes!!
- Super Strength: How else would she be able to weild huge scythe and carry those big pots?
- Wicked Witch
- Youkai: According to Inuyasha, she's a Oni. She doesn't exactly look like the traditional ones though. But hey, who's to say what we see is her real form?
A creepy painter owning a demonic ink made from a mixture of ink, blood and entrails with a fragment of the Shikon Jewel in it, capable of bringing his painting to life. His story in the anime is different.
Voiced by: Bin Shimada (JP), Terry Klassen (EN), Ricardo Tejedo (LA SP), Luigi Ferraro (IT)
- Art Initiates Life: Thanks to his special "ink" he can make paintings of ogres and monsters who can become alive. Is also shown that reproducing a person with said ink will steal the person's soul.
- Dirty Coward: Begs for his dirty life when cornered. Justified as he's just a human.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: In the manga, he accidentally wounds his arm while running from Inu Yasha, and the demonic ink, smelling the blood, jumps out of his flask and consumes him like a blob monster.
- Loners Are Freaks
- Nightmare Fetishist: He used to search for inspiration in battlefields, looking at the mutilated corpses, always liked to draw ogres and devils torturing people and found "fascinating" the light of the Shikon Shard in a pool of blood and spilt organs.
- Oh Crap!: When the ink starts to devour him.
- Serial Killer: He killed many people to replenish his reserves of livers and blood. Eventually he was forced to leave the capital and look for victims in the countryside. Now he uses his demons to collect the ingredients.
- Stalker with a Crush: Towards the princess.
- Summon Magic: Can summon giant ogres (or whole armies of them) from his paintings.
- Too Dumb to Live: In the anime, he wounds himself on purpose before releasing the Ink, which sucks out all of his blood, killing him.
- Youkai: The monsters he summons are Oni and Shoki (the latter being a little, murderous ogre-like imp).
A normal man who wanted to become a hermit. In the Manga, he appears in Volume 9 (right before Sango's arrival) and is a cannibalistic hermit who's trying to obtain an immortality elixir by turning people into a demonic tree, the Ninmenka. Is ultimately defeated by Inuyasha. In the anime, the Ninmenka tree is actually evil and Tokajin is supplying it with fresh corpses in order to obtain an immortality elixir, but is eventually backstabbed and absorbed. Also, he appears much later than in the manga.
Voiced by: Hideyuki Hori (JP), Sam Vincent (EN), Jorge Ornelas (LA SP), Roberto Stocchi (IT)
- Big Eater: Of people. He also keeps whole jugs of digestive potion in his mansion, just in case.
- Blood Knight: When Human!Inuyasha stumbles upon his fault immortality elixir (a concoction made from people which restore wounds), he orders him to drink some, as fighting a weakling like him isn't funny.
- Bowdlerise: In the anime, he just shrinks people and then, when they're mature, feeds them to the Ninmenka. In the manga, we first see him blocking one of his runaway disciples and devour his remains onscreen.
- Death from Above: One of his attacks? Jumping high in the air and body-slamming Inu Yasha with his humongous belly.
- Disney Villain Death: How he dies in the manga. In the anime he's grabbed by Jinmenka's roots.. which possess him, making him a target for Inuyasha's Wind Scar.
- Dull Surprise: Upon seeing Inuyasha kicking his door down. He only worries about the fact that his flesh will be bad and hard to digest.
- Evil Sorcerer: A Sennin (a hermit-like man said to have magical powers).
- Eye Scream: In the manga, he has his right eye gouged by a thorn.
- Fat Bastard: So obese that Tessaiga would bounce off his belly (also thanks to a Shikon Shard in his bellybutton).
- Freudian Excuse: Apparently he came from a really miserable background, so he came to despise normal humans and decided to become a sage to avoid all the troubles that people have. It barely makes him more sympathetic.
- Green Thumb: Can summon flowers and spiked roots with his staff. He also turned his master in a human-headed flower.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: In the anime, he's absorbed by Jinmenka's roots.
- I Am A Humanitarian; He though that he could gain hermit powers faster by eating his master, and that's how it started. Manga only.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Subverted: When he finds an unconscious Kagome he has her bathed... in sake, so he can eat her later.
- Just Eat Him: What he does to Inuyasha at their first encounter (he shrinks him first).
- Lack of Empathy: He treats people like food.
- Lazy Bum: Back when he was a human. In the anime Ninmenka actually took advantage of this side of his personality.
- Manipulative Bastard: In the manga, he manipulated several unlucky souls into becoming his "disciples". In the anime not so much, as he is the manipulated one.
- Meaningful Name: "Peach Man".
- Non-Standard Character Design: Tokajin is drawn with an eerie vaguely human design compared to the Bishōnen or down right hideous characters in the series, as well as being plump. His "human" self was still uncanningly skinny.
- One-Winged Angel: Turns into a rock monster thanks to the Shikon fragment.
- Petal Power: Can summon magical flowers that shrink people.
- Stupid Evil: There's not much to say about this guy, really: he doesn't have long term plans or something, just to eat people and fruits and prepare elixirs.
- Womb Level: When Inuyasha is swallowed, he has to figure out a way to leave his stomach as he's turning back to human.
An old evil demon who used to be Totosai's disciple, before being rejected for his brutal and inhuman ways. He forges the Tokijin sword for Sesshomaru but is possessed by the blade and eventually destroyed by it.
Voiced by: Takeshi Aono (JP), Robert O. Smith (EN), Carlos del Campo (LA SP), Saverio Moriones (IT)
- Demonic Possession: Ends up being possessed by Tokijin, which is filled by Goshinki's hate towards Inuyasha. The possession is so powerful that it keeps him alive even after Miroku splits his skull in half.
- Evil Counterpart: To Totosai.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Get possessed by the sword he forged.
- Kick the Dog: Bisects Jaken just for the lulz.
- Ludicrous Gibs: Splattered to pieces by Tessaiga's pressure.
- Razor Wind: While wielding Tokijin.
- Ultimate Blacksmith: Not only did he make Tokijin, but also the Naginata of Kenkon in a filler saga.
- Would Hurt a Child: Why Totosai disowned him? Because he murdered ten children and used their fat and blood to forge an Evil Weapon filled with their hate. Oh, and he didn't regret that.
A moth demon masquerading as an effeminate leader of a group of bloodthirsty bandits, he delights in devouring women by sucking them dry.
Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (JP), Adam Henderson (EN), José Luis Reza (LA SP), Massimo Corizza (IT)
- Asshole Victim: Inuyasha in his fully awakened demonized form kills him and his men in a gory manner, the same group that had just murdered an entire village and had women they've captured to be eaten alive by their master, all while making a restrained Inuyasha watch.
- An Axe to Grind: A rather big one that Gatenmaru wields, contrasting his delicate appearence.
- Blow You Away: Does this in his real form with poisonous gusts of wind.
- Clipped Wing Angel: His true form, a demonic moth, was taken out instantly by a demonized Inuyasha with even more ease than Goshinki was.
- Cover-Blowing Superpower: He exposes himself as a demon when he uses his powers on Inuyasha and Miroku.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: See Clipped Wing Angel for more details
- Fantastic Racism: Like most demons, views Inuyasha as an inferior for being a half breed
- For the Evulz: He seems to eat women for pleasure rather than satisfying his stomach
- Guyliner: Wears lipstick.
- Humans Are Bastards: Not him obviously, but his men who are just arguably worse for following him even after revealing he was a human eating demon, with little to no remorse for their actions as The Reveal of their boss being a demon, in fact became more enthralled in their cruelty after this was revealed. Likely to make them less sympathetic when Inuyasha butchers them all.
- Karmic Death: He and his men are slaughtered in a brutal way by a demon Inuyasha for the hedonistic slaughter and gorging of the villagers.
- Kick the Dog: He eats a village woman in front of Inuyasha to show how helpless he was before he died.
- Overly Long Tongue: Which he uses to drain people's blood.
- Poison Is Corrosive: His poison can dissolve whatever it touches slowly while making the victim paralyzed.
- Poison Is Evil: He taunts Inuyasha in a very sadistic way while trying to dissolve him and Miroku with his poison.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He wears a pink overcoat.
- Sissy Villain: Looks like one, but prefers women to eat.
- Small Role, Big Impact: He's only around for two episodes, but it's because of him that Inuyasha gives up his plan to become a full-fledged youkai, having butchered Gatenmaru and his human minions in an Ax-Crazy rage.
- Underestimating Badassery: Even after seeing Demon!Inuyasha tear free of the cocoon and slaughter several of his flunkies in cold blood, Gatenmaru isn't impressed; needless to say, he gets a very rude awakening when Inuyasha slices him into pieces.
- Youkai: A really nasty bigot of a moth
An elder Dragon Youkai who fought with Inu Yasha's father in the past and was sealed in a cliff, not before inflicting a fatal wound to the dog demon. He's freed from his seal by Naraku in order to kill Inu Yasha.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: A dragon with a human face, but unlike most, he is very intelligent for his size.
- Badass: Anyone who managed to lay a fatal blow on Inu no Taisho is this by default. In fact he's so high above the other characters, that he could only be defeated by his own power after taking all of Inuyasha's most powerful attacks before that point.
- Beast with a Human Face: Ryukotsusei is a dragonlike youkai who has a human face on the top of his dragon head. It's the human face that does the talking, while the dragon one focuses on spitting lightning bolts.
- Blood Knight: Smug Super aside, why else would he stick around the place he was sealed to fight Inuyasha other then for exercise after being locked up for over a century?
- Breath Weapon: Spits lightning bolts from his dragon mouth.
- Bullet Seed: In addition to his pink lightning, he can fire lightning bullets out of his mouth.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: Inuyasha's purpose was to pierce his heart with Tessaiga to make it more powerful.
- Dragons Are Demonic: Ryukotsusei is an extremely powerful dragon demon (To be more exact, a daiyoukai.) who battled the Inu no Taisho, Inuyasha and Sesshomaru's father, to a standstill before being sealed by being stabbed above the heart by one of his fangs. Even then, the injuries suffered by the Inu no Taisho during the battle proved enough to kill him afterwards.
- Facial Markings: His human face.
- Foreshadowing: He's the first youkai in the story to be identified as a daiyoukai and he was sealed with a fang through the heart. Stabbing him through the heart could not kill him. He's too powerful for that kind of death to work on him. Towards the end of the manga, Sesshoumaru gets stabbed through the heart and everyone thinks he's dead. However, it neither kills nor seals him. Instead it unlocks his true power and he gains daiyoukai status.
- Hero Killer: Killed Inuyasha and Sesshomaru's father via fatal wounds
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Killed by the Bakuryuha attack, that uses his own energy against him.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Is gigantic and has a smaller human face on his forehead. Said face speaks too.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Naraku destroyed the seal.
- Shock and Awe: Pink lightning.
- Smarter than You Look: He's quite intelligent, as well as very powerful.
- Smug Super: He views himself highly, and it's not surprising as he was a demon of the highest caliber and managed to inflict fatal wounds on Inu no Taisho, the strongest character in the series.
- Sorting Algorithm of Evil: Downplayed. When he was introduced, he was the strongest opponent Inuyasha had faced thus far. He is definitely is more powerful than Goshinki and Naraku, in fact can be called the 2nd strongest demon in the series for landing fatal blows on Inu no Taisho, the strongest demon. However, he is taken out in one blow by Inuyasha's Bakuryuha, since the attack sends his own powerful energy back doubled. Lesser beings would have less to add to it. You can tell by the effect of the Bakuryuha when Inuyasha used it against him versus other demons. With most demons, the Bakuryuha forms a wind tunnel that contains the attack it was redirecting. With Ryukotsusei, it forms a great tempest made of several tornadoes.
- This Cannot Be!: His reaction to the Bakuryuha rending his body to pieces.
- You Killed My Father: Ultimately, responsible for Inuyasha's father's death. Subverted in that Inuyasha didn't care about avenging his father. He was there to improve his sword.
- Youkai: Not your typical dragon, that's for sure.
A miko and a contemporary of Kikyo. Tsubaki felt that she, not Kikyo, should be entrusted with the Shikon Jewel; when that didn't happen, her jealousy drove her to become a black miko.
Voiced by: Miho Satou (JP), Sharon Alexander (EN), Monica Manjarrez (LA SP), Laura Lenghi (IT)
- Alas, Poor Villain: In the anime, she dies bemoaning her fate and regretting that she ever trusted Naraku; Momiji and Botan, the two apprentice priestesses whom she briefly used as pawns, openly express pity for her.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: When young. Rare villainous example.
- Always Someone Better: Kikyo was this for her, too.
- Curse: Her specialty.
- Dark Chick: Even though she is pretty powerful, she never fights directly or physically.
- Driven by Envy: Envied Kikyou because she was chosen over her to keep the Shikon no Tama.
- Evil Counterpart: To Kikyou
- Eye Scream:
- When Kagome deflects her snake familiar's attack, it's absorbed into her left eye. We later learn that Kikyo did that to her too.
- And later in the anime, she absorbs a demon through her eye, and that's also where Naraku's insects go trhough when they take the Shikon Jewel away from her.
- Hoist By Her Own Petard: Has her snake familiar redirected against her. Twice.
- Hot Witch: Well, an attractive dark priestess.
- Kick the Dog: Contaminating the Shikon shards she has handy with her miasma, which causes Kagome incredible pain.
- Manipulative Bitch: Especially to Momiji and Botan.
- Miko: Was one prior her Face–Heel Turn.
- Paper Master: Used shikigami in the form of paper animals to cast spells.
- The Rival: To Kikyou.
- Rival Turned Evil: Became as such to Kikyo out of jealousy.
- Vain Sorceress: One of her biggest motivations to serve Naraku was that the Shikon Shards he gave her restored her youth.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: In the manga after she's defeated, one of Naraku's wasps takes back the jewel shard he loaned her and she's never heard from again (it's heavily implied she dies right after Naraku's saimyosho robs her of the Shikon jewel shard since all the demons to whom she sold her soul in exchange for youth died in the battle against Inuyasha). The anime fixes this by adding a filler in which she hangs onto the jewel a little longer and uses it to merge into a powerful ogre demon to defeat the heroes. She fails once again and rapidly ages to dust due to using up all her power.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: After Inuyasha defeats her, Naraku takes back the jewel shards he gave her and leaves her to die.
- Woman in Black
An old, giant Bat demon. He uses his very young granddaughter, Shiori, to keep up a powerful barrier on his lands.
Voiced by: Ryuuji Saikachi (JP), Scott McNeil (EN), Gerardo Vásquez (LA SP), Vittorio Di Prima (IT)
- Barrier Warrior: Used to be one, like all the leaders of the Bat Demons tribe.
- Evil Old Folks: He lies, manipulates his only granddaughter into protecting him and murdered his own son in order to satisfy his Always Chaotic Evil bat tribe
- Giant Flyer
- I Lied: Said that in return for Shiori, he'll spare the nearby village of fishermen. Which is promptly attacked the next night. When Shiori's mother calls him out for not honoring the deal, he simply mocks her for believing that he would actually honor a deal he made with humans.
- Kick the Dog: Boasts about how he killed his own son for bonding with humans right in front of his grand daughter. Who expels him from her barrier and leave him to die at Inu Yasha's Sword Beam.
- Large and in Charge: He's surprisingly big, dwarfing all his underlings (who are human-sized).
- Make Me Wanna Shout: His Breath Weapon.
- Offing the Offspring: Murdered his own son for bonding with humans. It's implied his son returned the favor when Taigokumaru's spirit tried one last ditch attack on his granddaughter and her mother. Only to run straight into a barrier created from his son's spirit.
- Our Vampires Are Different: For example, try to figure him drinking someone else's blood...
- Too Dumb to Live: Yeah gloat about how you killed your grand-daughter's father right in front of her while she's the only thing protecting you. I'm sure that will work out very will.
- Villain Ball: He's got Inuyasha and co. on the ropes thanks to his barrier, until he decides to inform Shiori about how he killed her father for fraternizing with humans; this is all the incentive Shiori needs to expel Taigokumaru from the barrier and let Inuyasha slay him.
- Youkai: A bat one
The head of an ancient and powerful Oni who was defeated by a feudal lord and buried under his castle. Now, it's causing paranormal events in the Demon Head Castle.
Voiced by: Hiromi Tsuru (JP), Elena Ramírez (LA SP), Raffaella Castelli (It)
- Bait-and-Switch Boss: Loves doing this, using an illusion and the lord of the castle, in order to hide its true possessee, the princess.
- Dead Person Impersonation: Turns out it killed both of them and is masquerading as both in order to hide its presence.
- Demonic Possession: The lord of the castle is suspected to be this but it turns out to be the princess.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: As she barely escapes Inu Yasha's Wind Scar and threaten to form a new body and get back to finish them off, Miroku just sucks her up inside the Wind Tunnel.
- Filler Villain: Yes, it appeared in both the anime and the manga, yet its role has no relevance whatsoever on the plot (Except for mentioning Naraku's whereabout.)
- Horned Humanoid
- Manipulative Bastard: Bitch
- The Paralyzer: Its demonic aura is extremely powerful, so much that being in its presence can render a person helpless.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- The Undead: Implied to be just a ghost.
- Vain Sorceress: Gets mad when Inuyasha scratches her face.
- Youkai: Oni, of course, but she owes quite a bit to the myth of the nuke-kubi, a person whose head detaches while they're sleeping and flies around attacking people and drinking their blood.
A Buddhist priest who agreed to sacrifice his life to save his people, but as he waited to die he succumbed to despair. He's responsible for the powerful barrier surrounding Mount Hakurei. Based on the real historical practice of sokushinbutsu.
Voiced by: Fumio Matsuoka (JP), Hiro Kanagawa (EN), Gonzalo Curiel (LA SP)
- Anti-Villain: He merely had Heroic Self-Deprecation Up to Eleven for his fear of death, something Naraku took advantage of to make a use of him.
- Badass Grandpa: He managed to place the biggest barrier in the series, despite being not only dead, but emancipated to extremes, and technically he was not beaten by Miroku.
- Barrier Warrior: One with Anti-Magic and Power Nullifier skills so great, that he was able to create an enormous barrier which either greatly weakened or killed demons and suppressed all kinds of spiritual powers while also reversing Inuyasha to his human form.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: Subverted, he's sane compared to the Band of Seven
- Buried Alive: And it brought him to despair.
- Cooldown Hug: Receives one from Kikyo, who helps him let go of his despair and peacefully pass on.
- Despair Event Horizon: He was a human monk who offered himself to be Buried Alive for the well-being of his village. As his death neared, he got more and more scared and despaired, and Naraku used this to make him his servant.
- Evil Counterpart: To similar undead priest Kikyo.
- Evil Old Folks: Subverted, he was more of a very embittered Anti-Villain.
- Face–Heel Turn: Courtesy of Naraku.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Deconstructed very much the first time.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: He heavily blamed himself for having a fear of death.
- Hesitant Sacrifice: He decides to sacrifice himself to save his village, but as he waited to perish he realized he didn't want to die, hating his followers for praying for his death.
- Holy Hand Grenade: His barrier of holiness.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Unlike the Band of Seven, he didn't regenerate his looks prior his death.
- Talking the Monster to Death: Kikyo manages to do this when she meets him. Allowing him to redeem himself, come to terms with his death and move on peacefully.
- Token Good Teammate: He's one of the few decent people that has come to Naraku's services.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Very much so; a humble man who did nothing but good for others, but he blamed himself for being flawed, and so joined Naraku.
- The Undead: Unlike the Band Of Seven, he looks the part of a mummified corpse.
A giant demon horse wreathed in flames. He's released by Hakudoshi and serve as his steed for a while before getting destroyed by Inu Yasha. The anime gave him a backstory.
- Adaptation Expansion: The anime gives some time to him and shows his former master, a naginata-wielding ogre named Rengokuki.
- Breath Weapon: Can spew fire.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: In the manga Inuyasha deals with him in one blow. Averted in the anime where it does take some creativity to beat him as Inuyasha can't hit him due to this speed. So he tricks Entei into following him into a cave where there is narrow space to dodge and finishes him with a wind scar.
- Flaming Hair
- Hellish Horse
- I Fight for the Strongest Side: Will only let those he deems powerful ride him. When he first meets Hakudoshi and stares him down, he quickly bucks his former owner, Rengokuki, off him.
- Playing with Fire: He's costantly on fire.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Was sealed inside a mountain by a powerful monk. When the Infant kills the monk, he's released.
- Super Speed
Gozu and Mezu
The guardians of the gate to the Underworld, they can't be harmed by any mortal weapon.
Voiced by: Susumu Chiba (Gozu) & Naoki Makishima (Mezu) (JP), Michael Kopsa (Gozu) & Jason Simpson (Mezu) (EN), Javier Rivero (Gozu) & Gabriel Ortiz (Mezu) (LA SP), Federico Di Pofi (Gozu) & Stefano Billi (Mezu) (It)
- Adaptational Attractiveness: Gozu and Mezu are usually portrayed as huge ogres with the heads of a bull and a horse. Here they're shown as rather attractive male statues with a half fiendish face in their chests.
- Blade on a Stick: Gozu wields a Sasumata (Spear with a crescent-shaped blade), Mezu uses a traditional Spear.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: When Inuyasha faces them, the fight is so one sided that Inuyasha only managed to knock one down briefly and soon after escaped due to how mismatched the fight was.
- I Let You Win: They surrended to Sesshomaru when the latter pulls out Tenseiga, as it's the only weapon capable of hurting them.
- Mistaken for Granite
- Living Statue
- MacGuffin Guardian: They're the keepers of the Gates to the Netherworld.
- No Sell: Inuyasha's power is useless against them.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: They're the original ones, though they don't seem to display much personality.
Princess Abi (Abi-hime)
A bird demoness who commands a vast army of demonic birds. Naraku offers her a chance to join him in his quest to defeat Inuyasha, in exchange for a cure for Abi's beloved mother Queen Tekkei — who is actually a massive bird demon that lives in a cave.
Voiced by: Saeko Shimazu (JP), Teryl Rothery (EN), Maru Guerrero (LA SP), Laura Latini (IT)
- Animal Motifs: Bird
- Blade on a Stick: Naraku gave her a magical trident, which can make barriers and melt people. She's killed by it later when she turns against Naraku.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Tekkei decides to betray Naraku, and in turn she is killed by him. Abi herself is then also killed by Naraku.
- Dark Action Girl: She leads a whole army of blood-drinking birds.
- Devour the Dragon
- Does Not Like Shoes: Its hard to tell due to her dress but she's barefoot.
- The Dragon
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Subverted. She's anything but a Princess Classic and even less of a Naïve Everygirl. No, she's an evil, bloodthirsty bitch.
- Fangs Are Evil: When turning into a demon she sports them.
- Femme Fatalons: Grows talons on her hands when angry.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
- Incendiary Exponent: Her birds can set themselves on fire to storm people.
- Mama Bear: Her mother is fiercely protective of her. And vice versa.
- Playing with Fire: For God's sake, she rides on a freaking fire cloud!
- Ptero Soarer: The lesser demon birds under her command resembles miniature pteranodon. Then again, they're demons, so their unbirdlike appearence is justified.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When she really gets serious, her eyes change to a blood red color and her fangs become more visible. She also grows bird-like talons in lieu of hands.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Against Abi, Inuyasha remarks that he doesn't like fighting women, but she's so evil he'll make an exception. However, Naraku "gave" Abi a trident (made from his bones) that creates a defensive barrier. Eventually, it is Naraku who kills both Abi and her mother.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: This bites Abi and her mother hard in the end.
Princess Abi's mother, a gigantic fiery phoenix demon that commands a legion of demonic birds. She had eaten a poisonous demon that caused her to become ill, this allows Naraku to convince Abi to work for him to find blood to dilute the poison
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: A giant flaming chicken
- Meaningful Name: Her name literally means "Iron chicken"
- The Phoenix: Represents this with her flame powers and the fact blood revives her.
- Playing with Fire
- Too Dumb to Live: Despite being a powerful youkai, she doesn't seem to learn her lessons well, as what had her sick in the first place was eating a poisonous youkai, however, she tries to eat Naraku and this gets her killed.
- Too Spicy for Yog Sothoth: Eats Naraku, only to find out he's hard to chew. In fact, this is the reason she was sick in the first place because she ate a poisonous demon which bit her in the beak.
A dragon-demon whose scales can absorb demonic energy. He possess an energy-sucking shield and is in cahoots with a human swordsmith, Toshu, forcing him to forge the Dakki (Ablative Demon), a scaled energy-absorbing sword. Is defeated by Inu Yasha.
Voiced by: Hajime Iijima (JP)
- Achilles' Heel: According to Toshu, his scales are almost impossible to damage, but there are weak naked spots there where he removed his scales to make his shield and the Dakki.
- Badass Mustache: Though they're mainly his whiskers.
- Dragons Are Demonic: He's an evil dragon demon, though not even close to Ryukotsusei's level.
- Energy Absorption: His scales are said to have this power, but apparently he must apply said scales to weapons or shields to make them effective.
- Fangs Are Evil: Has long fangs and happens to be a villain.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Is almost killed by the Bakuryuha, and finished off by Toshu's Dakki.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Has a large buckler made from his own scales which can absorb energy and spit it back.
- Our Dragons Are Different: His name literally means "Dragon Man" and, well, it shows.
A human swordsmith with a scaled scar on his eye, he was forced by Ryujin to use its scales to forge the Dakki, a sword capable of sucking demonic energy and store it.
Voiced by: Nobuo Tobita (JP), Leonardo Graziano (IT)
- Become Your Weapon: He does this with Dakki.
- Cool Sword: Dakki, a katana ornated with scales capable of absorbing demonic energy at will.
- Deal with the Devil: Was forced into one by Ryuujin. He actually volunteered himself.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Just as he was about to deliver the finishing blow, Dakki's energies destroy his body.
- Evil All Along: Turns out to be the mastermind behind Ryujin.
- Evil Makes You Monstrous: As the fight continues, Dakki's power makes him more and more draconic in appearance.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has scales on his right eye, which serves as a sign that he's not normal
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Relies too much on Dakki to defeat Inu Yasha. Then, at a critical time Dakki decides to use him as a shield for Inu Yasha's attack.
- The Man Behind the Man: He's actually manipulating Ryuujin.
- Manipulative Bastard: See above.
- One-Winged Angel: By the end of his fight with Inu Yasha, he's covered in dragons scales from head to toe and the handle of Dakki is now merged with his wrist.
- Power-Upgrading Deformation: As Dakki's power increase, he become more reptilian in appearance.
- Story-Breaker Power: The Dakki can absorb demonic energy from any source in order to strengthen itself.
- Ultimate Blacksmith: He forged one of the most dangerous weapons of the setting, though it takes him some time. More notable, since he's a human who made a demonic sword.
An ancient turtle-like youkai, whose shell was said to be unbreachable, was killed by a monk long ago, and part of his armor stolen. Moryomaru brings him back to like in order to manipulate him, so that he can add its armor to his body. He fights against Inuyasha, resisting his Adamantine Barrage, but is eventually manipulated by Moryomaru and assimilated.
Voiced by: Tadahisa Saizen (JP)
- Achilles' Heel: Only his shell is invulnerable. The rest of his body (head and legs) is soft.
- Demoted to Extra: In the anime the Infant has him absorbed by Moryomaru immediately after he first appears.
- Idiot Ball: Justified In-Universe: he's doing pretty well against Inuyasha, but suddenly Moryomaru's fragment inside him take over his mind and force him to take the final blow, so that he can obtain the strongest defense and strongest attack at the same time.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: By Inuyasha's Adamantine Barrage in the neck and legs.
- Made of Diamond: His shell is said to be the strongest in all the demon world, and lives up to it as Inuyasha isn't able to pierce it.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Starts storming castles left and right upon being awakened, looking for his missing plate.
- Shock and Awe: Can attack by summoning electrical spheres and hurling them.
- Spikes of Villainy: After rebuilding his shell.
- Spin to Deflect Stuff: Does this after retracting the soft parts in his shell.
- Turtle Power: A demon one.
- Unwitting Pawn: Moryomaru's playing him like a flute.
- Youkai: His chimeric body, tiger paws and black cloud liken him to a Nue.
A hermit who turned into a vegetal monster who can regenerate at will thanks to a special sacred organ called "Seimeikan" (Life Duct), which Inuyasha has to cut so that the Dragon Scaled Tessaiga may be purified. He's sent by Naraku so that Inuyasha may gain an edge on Moryomaru.
- Achilles' Heel: The source of his healing powers, the Seimeikan. Is located inside his body and protected by a holy aura.
- Combat Tentacles: Or rather, roots.
- Demoted to Extra: Nikosen's role is divided between a hermit for Inuyasha to train under and a more tree like demon in The Final Act. He doesn't even get an appearance or mention.
- Evil Old Folks: Was an old human sennin, before turning into a plant-demon by unknown means.
- Green Thumb: He's a plant-like monster who can manipulate roots and restore his power by draining energy from plantlife.
- Losing Your Head: Being beheaded for him is a minor hindrance, as he can grow back a new head and the sliced head can still float and move on its own.
- Poison Is Corrosive: His body releases poisonous aura, which is also corrosive.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: Thinks that he can take on the whole Inuyasha gang with only one fragment.
- Unwitting Pawn: For Naraku himself.
- Was Once a Man: Used to be a human hermit. According to Sango, several youkai were once people.
Kinka and Ginka
Two demon brothers from a clan of Youkai who are born with two torsoes on one body. They both survived to adulthood and so they costantly fight each other to no end, causing collateral distruction all around them. Naraku sends Moryoumaru to them as their blood can reinforce his body shield, forcing Inu Yasha and co to help them out.
Voiced by: Makoto Yasumura (Kinka) and Daisuke Endou (Ginka) (JP)
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Both brothers are overconfident.
- Demoted to Extra: Their story is greatly diminished in the anime: Ginka's Heroic Sacrifice never occurs and the two never meet Inuyasha. In fact, Moryomaru absorbs them rather quickly.
- Elemental Powers: Kinka has power over fire and flames, while Ginka can use lightning.
- Enemy Mine: They're not above fighting together against outer threats like Moryoumaru, but more often than not they'll start accusing each others of sneak attacks and get back fighting.
- Flight: They can both fly unaided by wings or tools.
- Heroic Sacrifice: When Ginka is absorbed by Moryoumaru, Kinka let himself be absorbed by Tessaiga, turning it into a flaming sword.
- Improbable Weapon User: Kinka holds a conch which he can use to breath fire, while Ginka has an Oddly Shaped Sword similar to a buddhist prayer tool.
- Meaningful Name: Their names means Gold Disgrace and Silver Disgrace, and are likely a nod to the demon brothers Kinkaku and Ginkaku from Journey to the West.
Kao is a powerful demon who feeds on the sorrow of others, feeding their used bodies to the ground afterwards. He takes the form of noble with dark, messy hair. He often carries a fan with him.
- Emotion Eater: He's a demon who devours emotions
- Faux Affably Evil: He speaks politely, but really intends to absorb the souls of his victims; though he claims otherwise.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: Does this to villagers with flowers, making them feel bliss as he absorbs their essence.
- Sissy Villain: Love of pretty flowers check, very flamboyant, check and has Guyliner, Double check.
- Tears of Blood: What happens to those including Inuyasha who are trapped in the Lotus-Eater Machine.
She is a demon with the ability to rip the bones from a person's body through their mouth by simply placing her hand in front of the victim's face.
- Asshole Victim: Not herself at first, but a man who has just murdered someone for money, who becomes her next victim, ripping out his bones through his mouth.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She pretends to be a beautiful, young woman walking alone at night, which makes her victims feel sorry for her. This allows her to absorb their bones.
- Body Horror: She absorbs victims' bones by absorbing them through her hand placed on the victim's face.
- Daddy's Little Villain: She is very loyal to her father and is trying to protect him.
- Demoted to Extra: Her story arc goes from 4 chapters in the manga to barely 5 minutes in the anime.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: She is gathering bones to heal her beloved father.
- Expy: Of Princess Aibi, both have monstrous fathers that they are trying to heal and both parents die when they eat something they shouldn't have.
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter: She is beautiful, her father is a demonic skeleton demon.
- Necromancer: She's able to animate skeletons to do her bidding.
- Our Vampires Are Different: She sucks out bones instead of blood, has a demonic skeleton for a father and dies when showered in sunlight.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When revealing her True Colors
- Weakened by the Light: How she dies.
Bone Demon's Father
Father of the Bone Demon, he was ill so his daughter was trying to heal him with quality bones.
- Dem Bones: He is a demonic skeleton after all.
- Demoted to Extra: Same as his daughter above, his story arc gets cut down to a few minutes in the anime.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He wanted the Hiraikotsu, so he got it, complete with corrosive poison, which killed him.
- Necromancer: He also can animate skeletons using his breath.
- Our Demons Are Different: Bone Demon is in fact a demon skeleton.
- Poisonous Person: He is able to emit a poison that weakens Miroku.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Like most demons, he has red eyes.
Once a powerful demon, got half of his head banished to hell by Inu Yasha's father. Later on in the series, he comes back to fight Sesshomaru. Was the original wielder of the Meido Zangetsuha technique, which was absorbed into Tessaiga and sealed thanks to Tenseiga.
Voiced by: Osamu Sakuta (JP), Flavio Aquilone (IT), Gabriel Ramos (LA SP)
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Like most demons, but especially with his "Meido Zangetsuha" that made him almost invincible.
- Body Horror: Half of his face is missing due to Sesshomaru and Inuyasha's dad using the Meido Zangetsuha against him.
- Breaking Speech: Gives a rather honest and damaging one to Sesshomaru, making him realize that Tenseiga was a cast-off part of Tessaiga and that the Meido Zangetsuha technique was always intended for Inuyasha. It's so efficient that Sesshomaru suffers from a Heroic B.S.O.D. after the fight.
- Casting a Shadow: His powers.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Meido Zangetsuha.
- Kick the Dog: Presents Sesshomaru with the Awful Truth that the Meido Zangetsuha was intended for Inuyasha all along.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Back in the past, Inu no Taisho stole his technique and used it to seal half of his face to hell. Later Sesshomaru use a huge Meido Zangetsuha to banish him to hell once and for all.
- Meaningful Name: His name roughly translates to "Demonic Death God".
- Simple Staff: Which he uses to summon the Meido Zangestuha.
- Story-Breaker Power: One hit and you're sent to hell. Enjoy the afterlife.
- White Hair, Black Heart
- Warrior Therapist: A villainous example. He deliberately turns up while Sesshoumaru is emotionally vulnerable fully aware of what happened and why Sesshoumaru couldn't fully master Tenseiga. Inuyasha's arrival allows him to immediately realise the half breed younger brother was chosen over Sesshoumaru to receive Tessaiga. Most of the fight consists of Shishinki insightfully exposing every single one of Sesshoumaru's fears over the meaning of the two swords and whether it's proof his father hated him. This culminates in the Awful Truth, causing an Heroic B.S.O.D. that lasts beyond the fight and takes a while for Sesshoumaru to recover from.
Hitomiko was a priestess who was forced by Naraku to trap Kagome Higurashi in an attempt to take her life.
Voiced By: Fumiko Orikasa (JP)
- Type II, Naraku was using her as she died and in her first death she knew this.
- In the anime, she also warns Kagome to leave the village or she would eventually take her life.
- Badass: Her spiritual powers were equivalent to those of Kikyō's and she was often complimented for it.
- Barrier Warrior: In the anime, strong enough to force Naraku to flee, even as a child.
- Blood Magic: The bells have been shown to work only when they have the blood of the victim. Kagome was cut with the spiritual powers that came out of them and formed a ring around her, preventing her from moving.
- Cassandra Truth: When a priestess tells you to cut her head to prevent her to be resurrected by a monstrous Big Bad, you should do it.
- Goo Goo Godlike: In the anime, even as a small child, Hitomiko had enough spiritual power to cause Naraku to flee.
- Go Out with a Smile: When she finally was aloud to rest in peace.
- Grand Theft Me: Naraku takes over her body to fight Kagome.
- One-Winged Angel: She gained fangs and her hands became more like claws when interrogating Kagome, while manipulated by Naraku.
- Sadistic Choice: Hitomiko is used as part as Naraku's choice to Kagome: kill Hitomiko, knowing that Hitomiko would be sent to Hell, and save herself, corrupting her heart in the process; or allow Hitomiko to kill her.
- Off with Her Head!: Invoked. She suggests that they should do this in order to not have be Back from the Dead.
- The Undead: She's killed by Naraku's spiderwebs and later brought back by him to corrupt Kagome.
Ne No Kubi
A youkai made of roots that absorbs its nutrients from humans. It was sealed by Kikyou but after a landslide broke the seal it went looking for the Shikon Jewel again.
- Collector of the Strange: Decapitates its victims and takes their heads.
- Extra Eyes: Has dozens of eyes of various sizes.
- Life Drinker: It drains its victims life force and withers them down to skeletons for nourishment.
- Off with His Head!: Inflicts this on its victims.
- Lovecraftian Superpower: Once it rejuvenates it looks a heck of a lot like an Eldritch Abomination.
- One-Hit Kill: Kagome utterly obliterates it with only one arrow, showing she has surpassed Kikyo.
- Plant Person: Has roots that act like Combat Tentacles.
- Slept Through the Apocalypse: Was one of the yokai that attacked Kikyo looking to claim the Shikon Jewel and was sealed shortly before she met Inuyasha. When the seal wore out it promptly resumed searching for Kikyo and the Shikon Jewel... roughly three and a half years after the former died for reals and Kagome destroyed the latter.
Ancient Composite "Youkai"
In the Heian Period, an immensely powerful composite youkai was born when hundreds of lesser demons fused using the body of an evil man as a medium. Its sole purpose was to kill the powerful miko Midoriko, and they fought for seven days before the composite youkai succeeded in eating Midoriko. In her final moments, Midoriko sealed both her own soul and that of the composite youkai together, creating the Shikon Jewel. Its mummified corpse, and that of Midoriko, is contained in a cave near Sango's village.
- Body of Bodies: He was created in the same way as Naraku. His mummy in the sacred cavern shows him having a dragon-like body with tentacles, ogre's heads, spider limbs and other various appendages randomly jutting around.
- Fusion Dance: A fusion of a bunch of demons and a human, just like Naraku.
- Lamprey Mouth: He has a dragon-like upper jaw, but a radial mouth instead of a lower jaw.
- No Name Given: It is unnamed.
- Not Quite Dead: His soul is alive within the Shikon Jewel.
- Our Dragons Are Different: He resembles an Oriental dragon with a Lovecraftian makeover.
- Predecessor Villain: He's essentially an even more powerful version of Naraku who lived several hundred years prior to the latter's formation.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: His soul is sealed inside the Shikon Jewel.
- Sealed Evil in a Duel: His soul is trapped in an eternal battle with Midoriko's.
- Voice of the Legion: In his true form, he speaks with voices of the demons that formed him.
A powerful humanoid demon born from thousands of demonic bodies merged together with part of human souls. Has the dreadful ability of absorbing yokai and human alike and take over their powers. Created as a sort of Elite Mook by Hakudoshi, he's later given a soul by Kanna, making him sentient and dangerous.
Voiced by: Masaki Terasoma (JP), Ross Douglas (EN), David Allende (LA SP), Roberto Draghetti (IT)
- Arc Villain: For a while he steals Naraku's role.
- The Assimilator: His powers, to a even greater extent than those of Naraku. He specifically looks for specific demons to absorb their powers into itself.
- Badass: Was able to take on almost all the main cast with just a fragment of the Shikon Jewel. This when Naraku was only capable of fending off some of them while having the mostly completed Jewel.
- Big Bad Wannabe: He tried to surpass Naraku in power (even tried to absorb him), and since it contained The Infant, aka Naraku's heart, he became very important.
- Bishōnen: His face is handsome, the rest is not.
- Bishonen Line: The result of demonic experimentations that gradually became more and more humanoid. It's even lampshaded by Hakudoshi when he states its easier for it to move in that form.
- Body Horror: His grotesque transformations.
- Body of Bodies: After gaining a soul, The Infant instructs him to gather as many strong demons to enhance his defenses.
- Butterface: Inverted: he has a rather pretty face on an eldritch body.
- Combat Tentacles: The most recurring use of his powers.
- Curb Stomp Cushion: After absorbing Meioju and the cast tries to fight him. It's nearly a Curb-Stomp Battle, the only reason he doesn't win is because off a stab wound from Sesshomaru threatened to knock his fragment of Shikon Jewel lose, and Sesshomaru broke Tokijin doing it.
- Dumbass No More: After absorbing Goryomaru, he gains sentience and becomes less pleasant as his mocking of others show.
- Energy Absorption: His body can absorb youki (demonic energy).
- Facial Markings: Has a bluish mark over his left eye.
- Flesh Golem: Originally was one, before getting the Infant inside him.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Turns out, Naraku's a bit too hard to digest... let alone assimilate.
- Humanoid Abomination: The result of several experimentations that slowly become more humanlike, he has a Bishōnen face on a otherwise demonic body.
- Jerk Ass: After absorbing Goryomaru, he becomes much more scornful and mean-spirtied.
- Kick the Dog:
- Telling Sesshomaru that Kagura has died a pitiful death completely alone.
- Telling Kohaku that his death will bring sorrow to Sango, as well as telling him his very being brings her grief.
- Lack of Empathy: When Sesshomaru senses Kagura has died alone, Moryomaru mocks her passing.
- Made of Diamond: After absorbing the shell of Meiouju (a turtle demon) and the Adamant Barrage.
- Meaningful Name: Moryou is a very old and outdated word for "dark monster".
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Choosing to absorb Meioju when he did. The demon was doing well against Inuyasha and might well have beaten him if he waited a little longer
- Nigh Invulnerable: After absorbing Meioju. Tokijin doesn't hurt him, the Adamant Barrage doesn't hurt him, even Kagome's arrows and Kikyo's powers have no effect on him.
- One-Winged Angel: Three of them, actually, as he grows stronger. A specifically battle-one happens during the battle against Inuyasha and Koga: after losing nearly all his body to the Dragon-Scaled Tessaiga and Goraishi, Moryomaru discards his useless bodyparts and turned into a floating orb-like being covered in diamond plates with tentacles.
- Playing with Fire: Gains this after absorbing Kinka and Ginka
- Poisonous Person: Has the same miasma as Naraku.
- Power Copying: His last form can use Inu Yasha's Adamantine Barrage.
- Power Parasite: Gains abilities from other demons, even attacks from demonic blades.
- Puppeteer Parasite: His pieces of flesh, Including Goryomaru's arm, can be used to merge with other yokai and manipulate them.
- Shape Shifter Mashup
- Shock and Awe: Raimeihou (Thunderclap Cannon).
- Soulless Shell: Kinda at first, see Flesh Golem above.
- Spikes of Villainy
- Winged Humanoid
Magatsuhi is an evil spirit and the evil will of the Shikon no Tama and the composite youkai inside it.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: He is the manifestation of the will of the Shikon Jewel.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: With Naraku, the two work together to corrupt the Jewel; since Magatsuhi is too independent to be one of the Co-Dragons with Byakuya.
- Bullying a Dragon: It doesn't matter if you're a uber-powerful spirit, you should not taunt Sesshomaru.
- Combat Tentacles: Since he's borrowing parts of Naraku's body, he can use regenerative tentacles to attack his enemies.
- The Corrupter: Due to his enormous demonic aura, can corrupt things simply by being near them.
- Demonic Possession:
- He possessed Kohaku to get his shard and inflicts some Shape Shifter Guilt Trip onto Sango by mocking her with her brother's voice.
- Later he possessed Rin to have as hostage so that Sesshomaru would't use his new destructive sword.
- And finally, he possessed Inuyasha to make him kill his own allies.
- Dirty Coward: Avoids meeting Kagome as much as possible, fearing her exorcising powers.
- Early-Bird Cameo: It is mentioned and named around volume 10. About 30/40 volumes later, he becomes important.
- Facial Markings: He has ones under his eyes that are similar to Inuyasha's family.
- Guyliner: His humanoid form formed from Naraku's parts, has circled eyes and purple lipstick.
- Huge Holographic Head: Has markings under his eyes similar to that of Inuyasha and his kin.
- Kick the Dog:
- Mocks Miroku for taking in his poisonous aura to protect Sango and Kohaku.
- His Breaking Speech to Sesshomaru about his worth.
- Meaningful Name: Magatsuhi literally means "bent spirit", contrasting Naohi (straight spirit).
- No Body Left Behind: What happens when you piss off a Bakusaiga-wielding Sesshomaru. But when you're a spirit on a borrowed body, doesn't matter much.
- Poisonous Person: Like nearly all the Youkai in the later part of the manga, he has a great poisonous aura.
The Shikon no Tama or Jewel of the Four Souls is a powerful jewel the size of a marble that grants whoever possesses it great power. It was created when the powerful Miko Midoriko was fighting a composite Youkai, for seven days and seven nights and by the end of the battle Midoriko ripped her own soul from her body and combined it with that of the youkai, killing both of them. Their souls merged and created the Shikon Jewel, where they keep fighting for eternity.
Voiced By: Toru Furuya (JP)
- Amplifier Artifact: If a youkai possesses it, they will be transformed into a more powerful, often more monstrous form.
- Applied Phlebotinum: It makes youki stronger, revives the dead, grants wishes, serves as a painkiller, gives supernatural abilities to common objects...
- Artifact of Doom: Humans and demons alike kill and cause many atrocities for it and the end result is nothing but sorrow and death.
- Creepy Monotone: When it finally speaks.
- Convenient Color Change: It goes from a bright pink when is pure to a very dark purple when it's corrupted.
- Dismantled MacGuffin: Due to Kagome accidentally hitting it, shattering it to pieces.
- Four Is Death: An alternate name for it is the "Jewel of Four Souls," and the Shi part of it's name literally translates as the number four.
- Happy Fun Ball: It's basically a round pink jewel the size of a large marble.
- Jackass Genie: It's supposed to grant any wish, but when corrupted at best it just won't grant it and at worst will twist it to its own benefit. It's even stated in-story that every single attempt at using the jewel for benevolent purposes has backfired.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: The Jewel puts Kagome in one, presumably to make it easier to control her.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: It's basically indestructible. Burning it with Kikyo didn't work, neither did hitting it with Meidou Zangetsuha or Bakusaiga, and Kagome's power at most only managed to break it which proved to be way more troublesome. In the end the only way to destroy it was to wish for it to cease existing.
- Sealed Good in a Can: Midoriko trapped her soul inside the Jewel.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Along with her, the Shikon no Tama contains the soul of a monster composed of thousands of fused youkai and a human.
- Sealed Evil in a Duel: The souls of Midoriko and the youkai are locked in an eternal duel.
- Sentient Phlebotinum: As it turns out, not only does it have a will of its own, but it also can speak.
- Split Personality: Housenki mentions that the Shikon Jewel shard he found instructed him to take it to the afterlife to prevent it from being corrupted by Naraku, and Sango explains to the group that the Jewel itself is neither good nor evil, implying that when the Jewel is pure Midoriko's soul becomes its will, and when it is corrupt the youkai's soul takes over. Since it spends most of the series corrupted...
- Suddenly Voiced: After being merely an object beforehand, it finally speaks in the climax.
- Unholy Holy Sword: It can be either pure or impure, depending on the person using it.