The characters of the anime and manga series Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru
(Betrayal Knows My Name
Beware of Unmarked Spoilers!
open/close all folders
Love… love is such a powerful, complicated, unpredictable thing. It can transcend time and space, tear down walls of differences, and be found in the place you least expect to find it.
A long, long time ago, a young woman fell in love with one of the enemies she had long fought to destroy – a beautiful demon that was treated by his own kin as but a slave and sinner. In spite of their differences, he chose to stay by her side and joined her in the war that already had lasted for hundreds and hundreds of years.
And then… something happened. What exactly, is not known. The story goes on, but parts are missing, the pages are empty. Now, many years later, it seems like the time has come where not only the blanks will be filled, but the story itself will finally come to a conclusion…
Our protagonist. Selfless, polite, kind and good with children, Yuki is loved by everyone at the Asahi Orphanage where he grew up. Yet he can’t seem to escape the feelings of loneliness and being unwanted since his parents abandoned him. Because of this, he has a very low sense of self-esteem that holds him back in life. He’s easily swayed by other people’s emotions, but his heart of gold and genuine desire to help others also makes him more understanding towards people who others would turn away from. When the situation calls for it, he can actually be very heroic – and this is when the people around him recognize him as the charismatic leader they loved so deeply in their past lives.
Yuki is the bearer of "Light of God", a divine power that first and foremost gives him access to people’s emotions and memories if he touches them when they are in emotional pain. At younger age, he thought of himself as weird for having this power, but soon comes to terms with it as the story progresses. He also discovers another aspect of the "Light of God" – the power to heal wounds and soothe people’s hearts with his warm, loving light.
Unlike the Zweilt Guardians, he has no recollection of his past lives, and yet he can’t help but feel oddly nostalgic around Luka…
- All-Loving Hero: Loves everyone and is loved by everyone.
- Apologises a Lot
- Badass Adorable: You wouldn’t know it by looking at him, but he’s actually extremely skilled in martial arts.
- Barrier Warrior
- Combat Medic: Gifted with the "Light of God", Yuki is a powerful healer central to the Giou Clan's battle against the Duras.
- Distressed Damsel: Despite currently being male, Yuki often qualifies. Most of the time, the other characters are protecting or saving him.
- Doorstop Baby: How he ended up at the Asahi Orphanage.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Make sense since he used to be a female in all of his previous incarnations.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Including the main villian.
- Gender Flip: Used to be female in all his previous incarnations, but was born as a male in this life.
- Friend to All Children
- Heartwarming Orphan: And HOW!
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Even though Yuki can read people's minds by touching them to find out what's bothering them, heal people’s injuries by taking on their pain, and wants to help people, he tends to put himself down. "I was abandoned when I was born and hated for my strange powers. Hurting others...I'm completely unwanted, without a place anywhere! Why was I even born? Why?” Not to mention, "I always have to be saved by Luka. I'm powerless to do anything!"
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness
- Red-Headed Hero: At least in the anime. In coloured manga artworks, he seems to be more of a dark blond/light brunet.
- Stepford Smiler: Yuki clearly has some issues of self-worth stemming from being abandoned by his parents when he was very young. However, if someone should ask him if he's okay, he usually gives them a cheerful smile and tells them that nothing’s wrong. He does tend to get depressed if he's by himself, though.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Reconstructed. While facing that his pure idealistic values might not hold up to reality, he still manages to hold onto his morals and kindness.
Luka Crosszeria (“Zess”)
Known for his unrivaled power and beauty that made even the Demon Lord himself adore him, Luka is the Duras (specifically, an Opast) that fell in love with the previous incarnation of Yuki and swore eternal dedication to her. While he is completely loyal to Yuki in this life as well, he won’t tell him the nature of their relationship in the past. Usually indifferent, reserved and not the most fun person to have around, Yuki is able to open up his heart, little by little, and nowadays, seeing Luka with a smile on his face is not as unthinkable as it was before.
As an ally to the Giou clan he is something of trump card to them, as his knowledge of his own kind is information worth its own weight in gold. Not to mention his unbelievable power level that kills lesser demons simply by existing side by side with him
, and throws high-level Opast off their feet. Once thing is for sure: The Giou Clan would be a lot
weaker without Luka on their side.
- The Ace: Apparently, inbreeding and mixing your blood with the Demon Lord’s makes you stronger. And sexier.
- The Atoner
- Bishōnen: Deserves a special mention, as his beauty is commented on several times.
- Big Damn Heroes: Luka LOVES this trope.
- Bridal Carry: Carries Yuki like this on a few occasions.
- Catchphrase: (To Yuki) "I will not betray you."
- Color-Coded Wizardry: His spells tend to be purple.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Towards Yuki, he can be really possessive at times, even to the point of not allowing Tachibana to hug Yuki when they met in episode 7, he was also more annoyed of Tsukumo hugging Yuki than Tooko (episode 7).
- Black Swords Are Better: Adds to his badassness.
- The Comically Serious
- Cool Sword
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Get a Hold of Yourself Man: He pulls one on Hotsuma when he loses it over Shuusei's disappearance.
- Mr. Fanservice: We’d be here all day if we tried to cover all fetishes that can be applied to him.
- Hellish Pupils
- Idiot Hair: Not all that obvious, but it IS there.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Possibly towards Yuki…
- Mark of Shame: Like all members of the Crosszeria clan, he’s been branded with the “Brand Zess”, forever marking him as a traitor. Unlike other Brand Zess’, however, his mark is bright red in colour and specifically called “The Bloody Cross”, which means his blood has been mingled with the Demon Lord’s, thus making him his property.
- Perpetual Frowner: He doesn’t exactly wear a friendly expression on his face.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Normally, he is very aloof, cold and prefers to keep himself distanced from others… but when it comes to Yuki? You couldn’t ask for someone more oh so passionately dere.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: He breathes this trope.
- The Stoic
- Undying Loyalty: To Yuki.
Reincarnated over and over thanks to powerful magic, the Zweilt Guardians are the members of the Giou Clan whose sole purpose in life is to protect their beloved "Light of God" and slay all the Duras that cross their way. These young warriors are born with supernatural powers and can, by the power of their Zweilt rings, materialize their respective weapons just by thinking
Generally speaking, the Zweilt Guardians work in pairs because (aside from making them more effective by numbers in combat) the bond between the Guardians strengthens their minds to the point where they can fight as one being. Most Zweilt Guardians have been paired consistently through their many lifetimes and know each other by heart.
For a Zweilt Guardian, the strongest love of all is the love they share with their fellow Zweilt partner.
One of the first Zweilts to appear, Touko is a cheerful girl who is always there to make you smile again when you feel down, whether it is by kind words or a loving hug. But she’s more than just a cheerleader – she is tough and snarky when she needs to be, always quick to react when exposed to injustice and can be more than a handful when she’s really angry. Touko is easily likeable, to the point of her being the
person that is closest to Luka (after Yuki, of course).
Specializing in offense, Touko is the bearer of the "Ears of God". However, her gift is not as powerful as Tsukumo’s (who has the same power), so she only shares some of his abilities, such as telepathy and unusually good hearing. When battling the Duras, she wields a large sword called "Eon" (Eternity).
Her Zweilt partner is her younger brother, Tsukumo.
Another Zweilt that appears early on, Tsukumo is calm and relaxed without being lazy or indifferent. He is also sweet and friendly without being officious or a doormat. He is a very generous soul and doesn’t hesitate to share loads and loads of whatever snack/candy he’s always seen munching on. While generally disliking conflicts, he’s not above some mild teasing and snarky comments in order to amuse himself. He might not be as openly expressive as his sister, but he cares deeply for his friends and is not
unaffected when something bad happens to them. One should keep it as a general rule that basically, if Tsukumo’s upset, then shit has really
hit the fan.
Specializing in defense, Tsukumo is the bearer of the "Ears of God", which, among other things, allows him to sense people, hear their hearts and thoughts, speak to them through telepathy, and communicate with animals (most notably birds). He wields a gun called "Knell" (Funeral Bell), which he can use to drive Duras out of human bodies they have taken possession of, but he cannot actually kill them with this weapon.
His Zweilt partner is his older sister, Touko.
Short-tempered and impulsive, Hotsuma doesn’t give off the friendliest of impressions – at first sight, he appears to be just an arrogant, angry thug. However, despite his rough exterior and foul mouth, he is actually very passionate, sincere and will go to any lengths to help those who are dear to him. The truth is, he’s quite a “people person” – he just doesn’t realize it himself. This isn’t made easier by the fact that he tends to clash with other people that have a lot of character, such as Touko and Kuroto. One thing is for sure though; once you have Hotsuma on your side, you can count on him to be there for you when there’s trouble ahead.
Specializing in offense, Hotsuma is the bearer of the "Voice of God", a power which usually manifests in fire that is activated by his voice. Since this is a very fickle power, he has shaky control of it and sometimes fears others will get hurt because of it. He wields a blade called "Master Stroke" (Divine Skill), which also holds fire powers.
His Zweilt partner is his childhood friend, Shuusei.
- Berserk Button: He has quite the Hair-Trigger Temper but hurting Shuusei is a surefire way to hell...via hellfire no less.
- Shuusei's skipping meals wasn't his wisest idea.
- It also didn't sit well with him when Luca called him and Shuusei out on acting like they were married.
- Face of a Thug
- Flaming Sword: Master Stroke. Its blade is even shaped to resemble a flame.
- Hot-Blooded: Appropriately.
- Get a Hold of Yourself Man: Luca, of all people, has to soundly slap him across the face when he's hellbent on running off to look for Shuusei after his disappearance.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He is either this or has a Jerkass Façade that became a part of himself.
- Interrupted Suicide: Tried to off himself by turning the "Voice of God" on himself, but thankfully, Shuusei was there to stop him.
- It's All My Fault: Ever since that incident, Hotsuma blames himself for causing Shuusei's burn scars.
- Like an Old Married Couple: With Shuusei. Luca calls them out on it in one chapter.
- Meaningful Name: Most likely not intentional, but still… HOTsuma.
- Parental Issues: Sadly, he has them.
- Doting Parents: Averted. When Hotsuma’s parents learned of his powers, they started to fear him and became overly sweet and kind to him just to make sure they wouldn’t anger him and thus get killed by accident. Of course, they were glad to get rid of him when he was finally taken in by the Giou clan. However…
- Financial Abuse: As the parents of a Zweilt Guardian receive money from the Giou Clan in order to properly raise their child, Hotsuma’s parents only see him as a cash cow and pop up every now and then when in need of money.
- Playing with Fire: If you asked Hotsuma which is the best way to kill a Duras, his answer would be “Kill It with Fire!”.
- Red Oni: To Shusei.
- Tsundere: Type A. Rough and foul-mouthed to just about everyone… except Shuusei.
- Words Can Break My Bones: Or bring a friend back to life.
- Worth Living For: His suicide attempt showed him that no matter what happens, even if the whole world should hate him, Shuusei will be there for him. That's all he needs to keep living.
Thinking before acting, Shuusei is quiet and sensitive, and his excellent grades make him a model student at school. But behind his proper demeanour, those small teasing comments and weak smiles, he hides severe self-esteem issues that cause him to pass many days barely eating or sleeping at all. While he is more delicate than most, this also makes him unexpectedly stubborn and courageous. With his high intelligence and tendency to think before he acts, he is a resourceful ally whose determination is surpassed by few.
Specializing in defense, Shuusei is the bearer of the "Eyes of God". This power gives him a sixth sense that allows him to sense enemies, shoot energy balls at them, support his fellow guardians and put up magical barriers. He wields two short swords called "Kurai Kurou" (Crime and Punishment).
His Zweilt partner is his childhood friend, Hotsuma.
[[folder: Senshirou Furuouri]]
Klutzy but lovable by nature, Senshirou is the kind of nice guy you’d expect to see living next door. Humble and docile as he is, he’s surprisingly strong both physically and spiritually – life-saving personality traits if one is going to hunt Duras.
Because of things that happened in the past, Senshirou only just recently became a Zweilt. This is not an easy task, as a new Zweilt only comes by every few hundreds of years or so, and is then put to several kinds of harsh tests before it is decided if the person has what it takes. However, the hard-working Senshirou endured his training for many years and is now ready to stand eye to eye with the demons he is expected to kill. To do this, he uses a large calligraphy brush to draw spells in the air and also wields a gigantic scythe appropriately named "Death Scythe".
His Zweilt partner is Kuroto.
Kuroto is serious and quiet, but not above letting go of things he love in order to achieve a greater goal – which is why he had to give up his life-long passion for shogi. He hates being complimented, and it is the easiest way to embarrass him and make him loose his indifferent posture. He considers himself a loner, but Senshirou seems to be melting his heart slowly but steadily...
When in battle, Kuroto wields a black katana named "Izanagi" (Hell).
Zweilt partner is Senshirou.
The Giou Clan
A clan "touched by God" which manifests in the possession of special abilities that can be used to fight the Duras that threaten the balance of the human world (see the Zweilt Guaridans). Many of its members are involved in the political and financial world, which gives them the opportunity to get the resources they need, and also have “certain organizations” clean up for them when things get ugly.
The current head of the Giou Clan. A suave and charming, but at the same time no-nonsense man who regards sacrifices as a necessity, even if it breaks his heart to be so cruel. Possessing a grimoire, the Book of Solomon
, he is a powerful magician who can cast the most powerful spells and call forth the wildest of monsters when the situation calls for it – even if he only does it as a last resort when nothing else can be done.
He first introduces himself as Yuki’s older half-brother and tell him he’s spent years looking for Yuki. Even if Yuki is reluctant at first, he eventually joins his brother in the war, and for the first time in a very long time, Takashiro feels like they may finally have a chance to win this war once and for all…
- Big Good
- Color-Coded Wizardry: His magic is often red, in contrast with Reiga's blue.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Manipulative Bastard: Thinks of himself as this, since he must tell many lies, make sacrifices when it’s necessary and coldheartedly manipulates those around him in order to keep the Giou Clan from losing the war against the Duras.
- Not Blood Siblings: Surprise! He isn’t actually Yuki’s half-brother – he just lied about it in order to manipulate Yuki into joining the Giou Clan.
- Scars Are Forever: "Wounds made by a friend will never heal…"
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Back when the war started, Takashiro cast a forbidden spell that sealed a Duras inside himself. Therefore, he is not reincarnated like the Zweilts; instead, the Duras keeps on regenerating his mind and body, meaning he will never age, die from physical wounds or forget anything, ever.
The steward of the Twilight Mansion. He has an upbeat personality and likes to keep the conversation going.
Isuzu is the Giou's family doctor who works full time at the infirmary located at the Twilight Mansion. Isuzu is known for passing out for various days from lack of sleep, which is caused by his sleepless and restless nights of researching Duras. As he is very fascinated by the subject matter, he is always looking for an opportunity to examine Luka’s body.
- Beautiful All Along: His introduction isn’t very… flattering. But once he shaves and cleans himself up it's a different story.
- Biseinen: And how!
- Chivalrous Pervert: Arguably. When he suggests an examination, his words and actions about treatment always come off as perverted, but it’s unclear whether he is aware of it or not.
- Hospital Hottie: Except he doesn’t work at a hospital, he's the family doctor instead.
- He Cleans Up Nicely
Kanata Wakamiya / Reiga Giou
Kanata grew up alongside Yuki at the Asahi Orphanage, where they shared a close bond like that of brothers. Being older, Kanata moved out before the story’s beginning and became independent, but he often visited Yuki and asked him to live with him in the future. When he wasn’t spending time with his dear Yuki, Kanata would often do research about a mysterious old book he had had in his possession since he was little: the Book of Raziel
It would later turn out that Kanata is actually the human incarnation of the Giou Clan’s sworn enemy, Reiga Giou, who once was part of their noble clan but turned his back to them and joined the Duras. Reiga is a necromancer of unbelievable strength and knowledge, which is the reason why he doesn’t recover his memories before his body have physically matured - otherwise the immense stress on his soul and body would kill him. While his heart is just as cold as the ice and snow that surrounds him, the fond memories of his life as Kanata together with Yuki still lingers, confusing and frustrating him, creating a complicated internal conflict about whether or not he should kill the Giou Clan’s last hope – the "Light of God."
Yuki’s classmate. A boy who has had a harsh life but finds peace in gardening. At some point, he became cranky, always frustrated, and he rejected Yuki like the plague, and didn't even take care of his dear flowers. It is revealed that he is been possessed by a Duras, causing him to act that way, and his possession is the first real experience with Duras that Yuki encounters.
Takashiro’s talented secretary. Ibuki is also the sister of Tsubaki and Yuki's aunt on his mother's side
A maid who works at the Twilight Mansion. Her older brother Fuyutoki works at the main residence of the Giou Clan.
A full time cook at Twilight Mansion and a world-class chef.
The butler of the main residence of the Giou Clan. He is very loyal to Takashiro and sees it as a pleasure to serve his master. His younger sister Aya works at the Twilight Mansion.
Lives at the main residence of the Giou Clan. She is Ibuki’s younger sister and Yuki's aunt on his mother's side
A Necromancer in training.
Voiced by: Momoko Ishikawa
Luka’s familiar. Don’t let his cute appearance and friendly behavior fool you, this adorable little fellow WILL kick your ass if his Master commands him to.
The Duras are residents of the Infernus (Hell
) and the enemies that the Giou Clan has sworn to destroy. The word Duras itself actually means “The Proud Ones”. Duras who come to the human world often possess humans who hold darkness in their hearts, effectively growing stronger by feeding on their negative emotions. Since the power levels between the Duras vary, they are categorized like this:Niedatrechy
, low-level demons who mostly take the forms of beasts or reptiles. Unlike the higher-class Duras, these little guys can appear spontaneously in the human world without answering to a necromancer’s call.Midvillain
, humanoid creatures with much higher level of intelligence and sentience than the Niedatrechy. A person who is possessed by a Midvillain can be discerned by the mark that appears on the victim’s body during said possession.Opast
, the highest ranking Duras. They all look like unearthly beautiful people. An Opast can (and will!) easily kill even the most experienced magician, and even the legendary Zweilts are advised not to fight an Opast unless it’s absolutely necessary. The highest ranking Opasts, called general class, are second only to the Demon Lord in terms of raw power and cruelty.
Ashley is a cheerful girl who cares about her appearance, surrounds herself with toys and stuffed animals, is always wearing a smile on her face, and loves pretty teenage boys. She also happens to be a blood-thirsty, cruel Opast who kidnaps humans and/or kills them in various ways just to amuse herself.
A general class Opast who fell in love with Luka, or as she knows him, “Zess”. She has yearned for him for centuries now, and her patience is almost worn out: Zess will belong to her at all costs. Only with her can they, two pure immortals, live and love each other for an eternity. Anything or anyone that comes in her way will face the consequences and it will not be pretty.
One of the most dangerous Opasts seen so far, Cadenza has earned every right to carry the nickname “Master Killer” proudly, as he almost always kills the poor necromancer who was foolish enough to summon him. He is easily recognized by his long, crimson hair that seems to gain an aggressive glow when he does his evil deeds. That blood red colour and his hollowed laughter will haunt your nightmares forever if you manage to survive an encounter with this devil.
An Opast that had a small role in the anime but in the manga is still waiting for his moment to come, eagerly longing for Reiga’s call to summon him to Earth and let him finally see his brother Luka again