Sky (a.k.a. thatnextgame, a.k.a. "the game about giving") is an upcoming game from thatgamecompany, creators of flOw, Flower, and Journey, currently planned for release on iOS and Apple TV. It is a Coop Multiplayer exploration game where you assume the role of a Descendant, a flying cloaked humanoid who travels across a fantasy world set on top of the clouds.
The game contains examples of following tropes:
- After the End: Like Flower and Journey before it, Sky has the players explore the ruins of a fallen precursor civilization.
- Bubbly Clouds: The game is set in a desolate abandoned kingdom built upon the (surprisingly solid) cloud tops.
- Character Customization: It appears players will be able to customize the Descendants' hairstyles (the key art alone depicts long hair, pigtails, a cowlick, and a braid), and possibly robe colors (the Q&A video briefly shows a player wearing a blue cloak, as opposed to the regular red/yellow one).
- Coop Multiplayer: It appears you can play the game with three other players in tow, although certain locations appear to be lobby-like hub levels where you can encounter a few more before setting off on adventure.
- Downloadable Content: The director's remarks in his Q&A seem to suggest that thatgamecompany plans to add new areas to the world of Sky post-release, unlike with any of their previous games.
- Flight: Unlike in Journey, the player characters' flight powers appear to be unlimited in this game.
- Flying Seafood Special: Flying manta rays seem to share the skies of the game with birds.
- Holding Hands: This seems to be an important mechanic in the game, although its exact effects are yet to be revealed.
- In a Single Bound: While not airborne, the Descendant seems to move in extremely long leaps similar to how someone would move in a low-gravity environment.
- Lighter and Softer: Compared to Journey. The developers describe the world of Sky as "whimsical", whereas Journey's story was very much a cautionary tale.
- One-Word Title: It's about a kingdom that is set ontop of clouds.
- The Power of Friendship: The Central Theme of the game is "giving", and your goal is apparently to heal the post-apocalyptic landscape with the power of generosity and compassion.
- Spiritual Successor: To Journey, from similar character designs and co-op mechanics, to the familiar visual elements like the light bubbles that accompany chirping.
- Theme Park Landscape: Invoked by the director in regards to how the construct the game world of Sky, particularly in order to facilitate Drop-In-Drop-Out Multiplayer, so that players can join and leave whenever they like and still find something entertaining to do.