thatgamecompany is an American Video Game
developer, which was founded on May 15, 2006 by Jenova Chen and Kellee Santiago. After their first game, Cloud
, Sony contracted them to develop three more games — flOw
, and Journey
— for the PlayStation 3
between 2006 and 2012, but they've since secured independent funding. Their latest project, Sky
, came out on iOS
phones in 2019, with other mobile platforms planned at a later date.
Games thatgamecompany developed:
Tropes found in thatgamecompany's history:
- Art Game: Their entire creative output so far has been primarily driven by the exploration of the emotional potential of video games as a medium. In layman's terms, they were and are Doing It for the Art first and foremost, and the fact Journey was also a massive commercial success, is just a coincidence.
- Beautiful Void:
- Cloud: The sky, the clouds in the sky and the islands below, with a volcano and some buildings added in the fourth level.
- flOw: The creatures you eat, the creature you are and the watery substance around you, nothing more.
- The McCoy: The company's MO: making video games based on emotions unusual to the medium.
- One-Word Title: All their games' titles consist of a single word.
- Silence Is Golden: Hardly any dialogue pops up in their games.
- Worth It: They went two years over both their deadline and budget, and was effectively bankrupt by the time they shipped Journey, but a single email made it all worth it.