thatgamecompany is an American Video Game developer, founded on May 15, 2006 by Jenova Chen and Kellee Santiago. Following their first game, Cloud, the company was contracted by Sony to create three more games (flOw, Flower, and Journey) for the PlayStation 3 between 2006 and 2012, but has since secured independent funding. Their latest project, Sky, came out on iOS phones in 2019, with other mobile platforms planned at a later date.
Games thatgamecompany developed:
Tropes found in thatgamecompany's history:
- Art Game: The entire creative output of the company so far has been primarily driven by the exploration of the emotional potential of video games as a medium. In layman's terms, they were and are Doing It for the Art first and foremost, and the fact that Journey was also a massive commercial success is just a coincidence.
- Beautiful Void:
- The McCoy: The company's MO: making video games based on emotions unusual to the medium.
- One-Word Title: All their games' titles consist of a single word. Even Sky's working title had been thatnextgame.
- Silence Is Golden: Hardly any dialogue pops up in their games, if any.
- Worth It: They went two years over the deadline and the budget and was effectively bankrupt by the time they shipped Journey, but a single email made it all worth it.