Rockman ZX Prequel is a ROM Hack of Mega Man ZX, created by the Chinese group Rockman Lab, set between the events of the Mega Man Zero and Mega Man ZX series. Unlike the ZX series, there are only two playable Biometals. Like Mega Man X4, players can choose between two characters, Nett and Elf. Nett uses Model X, while Elf uses Model Z. Both players can obtain EX skills after defeating bosses. Nett can change the property of his second charge shot while Elf can use special commands to perform various techniques.
Link to the English version can be found here.
This game provides examples of:
- Amnesiac Hero: Elf wakes up in the beginning of the game without any memory
- Armor-Piercing Attack: Like in Mega Man X8, several enemies and bosses can project shields to protect themselves. Nett can break the shields with a fully-charged shot; Elf can break the shields with a fully-charged saber slash or a Three Strike Combo. A certain EX skill can break shields instantly.
- Big Damn Kiss: Elf gives Nett a kiss on the lips after defeating the final boss.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: The English translation is fairly bad. It is full of awkward dialogues, typos, and grammatical errors.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: While not to the extend of Zero and Ciel, Nett has this dynamic with Prairie and Elf. Nett is an angsty boy with a dark past in contrast with the kind and patient Prairie and the naive and innocent Elf.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Elf is a little angry when she hears that Prairie takes "extra care" for Nett.
- Cyberspace: Cyberspace plays an important role in both story and gameplay. Nett and Elf can go to cyberspace and back through holographic doors. Unlike in Mega Man Zero 3, entering Cyberspace is obligatory to progress.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Nett is the Sole Survivor of a Maverick attack that killed his parents.
- Doomed by Canon: Since Girouette has Nett's Express company and Elf's Biometal Z in the first ZX game, it is clear that the protagonists are not going to survive the game.
- Evil Counterpart: The Big Bad, Virel, is one to Elf. Both are avatars of the Cyberspace, and both primarily use a Laser Blade in combat.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: Inverted. Nett fights with an Arm Cannon, while Elf fights with a Laser Blade.
- Kill and Replace: Virel killed Laggros 10 years ago and has been impersonating him ever since, using his position to stage attacks on the government.
- Let's You and Him Fight: Naturally, Mega Man Model X and Mega Man Model Z get to fight each other, continuing the tradition set by Mega Man X5.
- Nostalgia Level: Area Zero from Mega Man Zero 4 and Area A and Area D (itself a Nostalgia Level to Mega Man X1) from Mega Man ZX make a return here with some minor changes.
- Palette Swap: The Maverick bosses in this game reuses sprites from the bosses from the Zero and ZX series with a new paint job and some changes in their elements and attack patterns.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Elf wears Grade A with short skirt and stockings.