You're a dragon... a young, underachieving dragon and your parents have just kicked you out of the nest for eyeing their treasure hoard. Now it is time for you to go out and find your own coins, jewels, and magic items. The problem with being young (and a bad student) is that you donít always succeed in your quest to find treasure. To make matters worse other young dragons have received the boot as well and you must compete with them for the best loot.
Released in 2014 by Epic Slant Press, Havok and Hijinks is a four-player card game that pits Amber the Sunlight Dragon, Obsidian the Dark Dragon, Pearl the Moonlight Dragon, and Ruby the Fire Dragon against one another. To win you must use the Havok cards to find treasure and the Hijinks cards to disrupt the treasure quests of your competition, ensuring that your hoard is a coin above the rest.
This game contains examples of
- Action Girl: Any of the female Sodality Knights, adventurers, or marauders
- All There in the Manual: The website is full of lore and backstories on various elements and characters.
- Ambiguous Gender: Gender assignment of the dragons seems arbitrary at best
- Artifact of Attraction: If it's shiny, the dragons likely want it and will get it through any means possible.
- Art Shift:
- There's a variety of artstyles heading the website's blog posts, though the cards themselves are generally consistent
- The expansion set's art is a bit flatter, due to a new artist
- Call a Smeerp a "Rabbit": Money is all grouped under the name 'talons.'
- Color Failure: as per the "Without Pigment" card
- Distaff Counterpart: While the originals aren't gender-specific, four additional dragon cards were made for the kickstarter campaign...
- Salida (Amber)
- Darach (Obsidian)
- Ottokar (Pearl)
- Marielle (Ruby)
- Empathic Environment: the 'ready' side versus 'tired' of each Dragon's card.
- Finagle's Law: Any strategy can be ruined with one flip of the deck
- Griefer: Many of the hijinks cards allow players to go this route
- Power Equals Rarity: the promotional Crystal Dragon cards allow you to choose any elemental affinity for a time
- Promotional Powerless Piece of Garbage: averted with the Crystal Dragon cards, as explained above.
- Purely Aesthetic Gender: Skills are based solely on the dragons' element
- If the print-and-play version is anything to go by, there's the junk treasure card Princess Bella.
- As well as a version of the 3 Wolf Moon T-shirt and a certain video of a Double Rainbow.
- The 'Moonwalk' card looks familiar as well...
- The 'Vallhyn Pickers' and 'I Know What You Did Last Night' cards.
- With the extra kickstarter hijinks cards come the musically-themed cards 'Sunshine on My Shoulders', 'The Darkside of the Moon', 'Blue Moon', and 'We Didn't Start the Fire'