Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 4 | Chapter 5 | Chapter 6 | Chapter 7 | Chapter 8 | Chapter 9 | Chapter 10 | Chapter 11 | Chapter 12 | Chapter 13
Chapter 14 | Chapter 15 | Chapter 16 | Chapter 17 | Chapter 18 | Chapter 19 | Chapter 20 | Chapter 21 | Chapter 22 | Chapter 23 | Chapter 24 | Chapter 25 | Chapter 26 | Chapter 27 | Chapter 28 | Chapter 29 | Chapter 30 | Chapter 31 | Chapter 32 | Chapter 33 | Chapter 34 | Chapter 35
For the recap index, go here.
As the town of Riverdale comes to grips with the recent death of Jason Blossom, high school sophomore Archie Andrews meets again with his childhood friend Betty Cooper, and meets the glamorous newcomer Veronica Lodge.
- Alpha Bitch: Cheryl doesn't hesitate in undermining Betty's self-esteem by claiming she's too fat for cheerleader auditions.
- Amicable Exes: According to Fred, his ex-wife is in Chicago and they separated in a civil manner.
- Big Damn Kiss:
- Veronica and Betty's finishing move for their cheerleader audition.
- Veronica and Archie also get one of these when they're in the closet.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Betty spends most of the episode unable to tell Archie about her feelings, despite several opportunities.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Downplayed, Archie and Betty are having a nice conversation at Pop's, then, in walks Veronica.
- Everyone Went to School Together: All the parents of the current generation of high schoolers seem to know each other very well. Justified by the fact that Riverdale seems to be quite a small town.
- Fanservice: Betty and Veronica's Big Damn Kiss fulfils fan fantasies going back decades.
- Finally Found the Body: Jason's corpse was discovered by Kevin and Moose when they were about to go skinny dipping.
- High-School Dance: Riverdale kicks off the school year with a formal.
- My Beloved Smother: Betty's mom can be somewhat overbearing about preparing her daughter for college.
- Noodle Incident: The specifics of what Veronica's father did to destroy the family's fortune and good name are never brought up, other than he is on trial for fraud and embezzlement but all the characters seem to be aware of what happened.
- While it's not elaborated on much Betty's sister Polly had a breakdown that their mother blames on Jason Blossom.
- Running Gag: People making fun of the fact that Archie has red hair.
- She Is All Grown Up: Archie gets the male version of this: several characters comment on the fact that over the summer, the combination of construction work and advancing puberty have turned him into a hunk.
- Shipper on Deck: Both Kevin and Veronica try to get Betty and Archie together.
- Ship Tease:
- Oddly enough, Jason/Cheryl.
- When she first picks up Archie, Ms. Grundy is wearing heart-shaped sunglasses like those in the poster for Lolita, a story that was also about statutory rape.
- Josie calls Archie "Justin Gingerlake."
- Veronica calls herself "The Blue Jasmine" of Riverdale as everyone's heard about her father and fall of social status.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: The opening shot showing twins Jason and Cheryl Blossom features a love song playing.
- At the prom dance, Cheryl recommends that everyone slow dance to Cyndi Lauper's "All Through The Night" in tribute to her late brother Jason as the twins had been conceived to it.
- Spin the Bottle: Cheryl's house party uses this to determine who gets to play "Seven Minutes in Heaven" with Archie.
- Teacher/Student Romance: It all began when Miss Grundy was driving in her car and saw Archie finishing off his construction work shift.