Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 4 | Chapter 5 | Chapter 6 | Chapter 7 | Chapter 8 | Chapter 9 | Chapter 10 | Chapter 11 | Chapter 12 | Chapter 13
Chapter 14 | Chapter 15 | Chapter 16 | Chapter 17 | Chapter 18 | Chapter 19 | Chapter 20 | Chapter 21 | Chapter 22 | Chapter 23 | Chapter 24 | Chapter 25 | Chapter 26 | Chapter 27 | Chapter 28 | Chapter 29 | Chapter 30 | Chapter 31 | Chapter 32 | Chapter 33 | Chapter 34 | Chapter 35
For the recap index, go here.
As the town's mayoral race between Fred and Hermoine heats up, Hiram sets his sights on a new ally Sheriff Minetta. Betty turns to Cheryl for help when she has a suspicion about the Black Hood. Meanwhile, the reveal of a dark secret forces Archie and Jughead to try and ease tensions between the Bulldogs and Serpents. Finally, on the eve of the mayoral debate, a mysterious message leaves everyone on edge.
- Bait-and-Switch: The call from the coroner heavily hints that the Black Hood killed Chic. It was actually another poor victim, leaving Chic's fate ambiguous.
- Broken Pedestal: Both Archie and Veronica lose respect for Hiram in this episode. Archie due to Hiram giving out orders to the Dark Circle without him, and Veronica due to finding out that her efforts to arrange an agreement with another family were all for nothing and that he is willing to risk her mother's life to win an election.
- The Bus Came Back: Joaquin comes back to Riverdale to help Fangs lay low.
- Downer Ending: Fangs is shot (and it's heavily implied that Reggie was not the person that shot him despite wanting to), which causes a civil war in Riverdale. Plus, the Black Hood arrives at Cheryl's front steps.
- Gun Struggle: Archie tackles Reggie when Reggie tries to shoot Fangs and the two of them struggle to get control of Reggie's gun.
- Human Shield: The Serpents form this around Fangs so that the bloodthirsty crowd of Northsiders can't attack him.
- Hypocrite: Moose is infuriated to learn that Midge was cheating on him, despite the fact that he not only secretly hooked up with Kevin, but he also made out with Cheryl in front of everyone at Jughead's birthday party.
- Manipulative Bastard: Hiram continues to be this, convincing Archie to bring back the Dark Circle, and later convincing Reggie to kill Fangs after the latter gets out of prison.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Veronica is finally fed up with Hiram after he takes her money, ruins a deal she was trying to make legally, and endangers her mother. So, she throws her support behind Fred's campaign.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Betty grows to feel this way about giving Chic up to the Black Hood, and is terrified of the possibility that she and the Black Hood are the same after all.
- Out-Gambitted: Veronica is ready to move ahead with her own plans on the casino using the money she swindled from the Sinclairs. Hiram smugly informs her that he put that cash in a trust she can't touch until she turns 21 which means Veronica has no resources to use.
- Police are Useless: Sheriff Keller's replacement refuses to offer Fangs protection when he's leaving the station, despite the surrounding mob that explicitly wants Fangs dead, and even makes a snide comment to Jughead about the Serpents.
- Red Herring: This episode heavily hints Hal as the Black Hood, as a lot of the evidence (his planner matching the times the Black Hood attacked earlier and having the same Nancy Drew code book Betty used to decipher an earlier message) is up against him. It's subverted when Black Hood does a shooting at the debate, and Hal is in the audience.
- Undying Loyalty: If there was any question that the Serpents have this for each other, this episode shuts down any doubts. Jughead, Toni, Sweet Pea, and FP all form a human shield to protect Fangs from the crowd, not even flinching at the danger this puts themselves in.
- Would Hurt a Child:
- A very large number of people in the crowd gunning for Fangs' head are fully grown adults. They also physically attack the other teenage Southside Serpents when they form a human shield for Fangs when he leaves. Toni is part of then and is attacked for it just as the males are.
- The Black Hood goes after Cheryl at the end of the episode.
- Your Cheating Heart: It turns out that Midge was hooking up with a Serpent behind Moose's back. The person in question is Fangs.