Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 4 | Chapter 5 | Chapter 6 | Chapter 7 | Chapter 8 | Chapter 9 | Chapter 10 | Chapter 11 | Chapter 12 | Chapter 13
Chapter 14 | Chapter 15 | Chapter 16 | Chapter 17 | Chapter 18 | Chapter 19 | Chapter 20 | Chapter 21 | Chapter 22 | Chapter 23 | Chapter 24 | Chapter 25 | Chapter 26 | Chapter 27 | Chapter 28 | Chapter 29 | Chapter 30 | Chapter 31 | Chapter 32 | Chapter 33 | Chapter 34 | Chapter 35
For the recap index, go here.
As tension between the Northside and the Southside rises, Jughead undergoes a series of harrowing initiation rituals to officially join the Serpents, with the hope to take over FP's leadership mantle and keep the conflict under control.
Betty, cornered by the Black Hood, turns to Archie for help. The Black Hood demands that she publish an article exposing Alice's past as a Serpent, then to cut off ties with all her friends, starting with Veronica and then Jughead.
Nick St. Clair, a ghost from Veronica's past, visits Riverdale and takes a keen interest in Cheryl. At the opening gala for the SoDale project, Nick drugs Cheryl and nearly sexually assaults her, but is stopped and beat up by Veronica and the Pussycats.
Betty tries to comply with the Black Hood's increasingly traumatizing demands, hoping to distract him from further killing anyone else, at the expense of her personal relationship with Veronica and then Jughead, who she sends Archie to break the bad news to. Jughead, completely broken down, completes his initiation and becomes a Serpent.
Finally, the Black Hood figures out Betty broke a rule by confiding in Archie, and makes her pay the ultimate price: Name his next victim, or he will hurt Polly. Having witnessed the aftermath of Cheryl's assault, Betty gives him one name: Nick St. Clair.
- Absolute Cleavage: The dress Alice wears to the SoDale gala has such an striking cleavage that it catches everyone's attention.
- Asshole Victim: Nick St. Clair is a douchebag date rapist, so the audience doesn't feel any sympathy for him when Veronica and the Pussycats beat the shit out of him, or when Betty gives him up to the Black Hood.
- Attempted Rape: Veronica plus Josie and the Pussycats caught Nick attempting to rape Cheryl, and proceeds to give him a major beatdown for his roofie antics.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: Betty does this with Jughead, via Archie.
- Date Rape Averted: Just as Nick prepares to rape an unconscious Cheryl, Veronica, Melody and Valerie arrive and stop him.
- Fanservice: Alice's dress shows that she is very attractive for a 46-year-old woman.
- Gang Initiation Fight: To prove his loyalty to the Serpents, Jughead forces himself to endure a brutal smackdown.
- "Hey, You!" Haymaker: Veronica stops Nick's attempted rape of Cheryl with a hook to the face.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Two of them, simultaneously:
- The first is when Veronica, Melody, and Valerie kick the shit out of Nick St. Clair.
- The second is the final step in Jughead's initiation into the Serpents.
- Not So Different: The Black Hood is trying to Invoke this, and claims that Betty is no different from him, even going as far as making her see a mirror reflection of her wearing the black hood. She's not really buying it.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Both Veronica and Jughead sense that something is up when Betty behaves uncharacteristically. In the latter's case, it's when Archie tells Jughead what Betty said to.
- Showgirl Skirt: Alice's snakeskin dress.
- Slipping a Mickey: Nick puts something in Cheryl's drink to make her next rape victim.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Played with. Betty gives Veronica quite the tongue-lashing, but she was forced to by the Black Hood. Of course, the way Veronica was acting at the party only gives her a reason to.
- Sadistic Choice: Betty is forced to choose between giving the Black Hood his next victim, or letting her family be slaughtered. She ends up giving him Nick St. Clair.
- Will They or Won't They?: Discussed by Veronica when describing her past with Nick.Veronica: Nick and I were the "will they or won't they" of our jet set. He's an outrageous flirt, but we never dated. We'd hop from club to cub, go on these madcap adventures, stay up all night...