Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 4 | Chapter 5 | Chapter 6 | Chapter 7 | Chapter 8 | Chapter 9 | Chapter 10 | Chapter 11 | Chapter 12 | Chapter 13
Chapter 14 | Chapter 15 | Chapter 16 | Chapter 17 | Chapter 18 | Chapter 19 | Chapter 20 | Chapter 21 | Chapter 22 | Chapter 23 | Chapter 24 | Chapter 25 | Chapter 26 | Chapter 27 | Chapter 28 | Chapter 29 | Chapter 30 | Chapter 31 | Chapter 32 | Chapter 33 | Chapter 34 | Chapter 35
For the recap index, go here.
After Clifford hangs himself, the truth about Jason's murder comes out. The mayor throws FP under the bus to save face, and Betty faces heat for defending him. And with Hiram Lodge coming back to town, Hermione tries to buy Fred out of the company to head off a fight between the two.
- Bittersweet Ending: Cheryl is saved and the murder of Jason was solved... but FP is still in prison, Jughead has started running with the Southside Serpents and is likely still living in Southside, Hiram is coming out of prison, Cheryl torches Thornhill to cleanse her family's sins, and Fred is shot.
- The Conspiracy: According to Jughead at the end of the episode, this may be the case concerning the attempted Fred's shooting.
- Coitus Interruptus: Implied: Jughead and Betty are about to get it on in FP's trailer when there's a knock on the door: it's a group of Serpents offering Jughead a spot in their gang, and it's unclear if Betty and Juggy get back to their fun.
- Driven to Suicide: Cheryl attempts it by drowning herself in the freezing Sweetwater River. Archie, Jughead, Veronica, and Betty stop her.
- Evil Matriarch: Hermione continues her descent into villainy by trying to get Veronica to sexually manipulate Archie.
- Foreshadowing: Cheryl is far nicer in this episode than she ever has been before, apologizing to Jughead and giving him a valuable piece of jewelry to help him out, then apologizing to Veronica and giving her leadership of the River Vixens. A strange burst of happiness and generosity is very common behavior by people who have decided to kill themselves; they feel better having made what they feel is their final decision, and start giving away everything since they won't be needing it any more. Indeed, shortly after this, the gang realizes Cheryl is going to drown herself in the river.
- Invulnerable Knuckles: Averted. Archie's knuckles are bleeding as he punches through the ice to rescue Cheryl. Afterwards, he's shown wearing a cast, implying a bruised bone, if not a broken wrist. Also counts as a meta-example as KJ Apa genuinely broke his hand during filming. The blood is fake however.
- I Was Just Joking: Hermione asks Veronica to convince Archie to talk to his dad about signing over the company. Veronica jokes that she could seduce him to change his mind, and is horrified when Hermione thinks it's a wonderful idea.
- Lady Macbeth: Veronica calls her mom this after Hermione tries to get Veronica to sexually manipulate Archie into convincing his father to sign over the company.
- Let the Past Burn: Cheryl burns the Blossom mansion in hopes of breaking from the past, as her mother protests to no effect.
- Not Staying for Breakfast: Literal example, but thankfully nothing worse. Veronica is surprised to wake up to find Archie getting dressed quickly. His dad called him to Pop's for breakfast so they could talk; Archie promises to call Veronica later, and he definitely would have if the breakfast hadn't gone sideways.
- When recapping the previous episode's events, the narrator says Clifford "would have gotten away with it if not for a group of pesky kids."
- When Archie, Veronica and Betty are racing through the high school hallways, they all slide on the floor in their haste while rock music plays, in a clear homage to The Breakfast Club.
- Slut-Shaming: Betty's locker is painted with pig's blood calling her a Serpent slut for daring to post an article about FP being innocent.
- Sudden Downer Ending: The final moments of the episode have Fred shot in a robbery at Pop's.
- Title Drop: Penelope Blossom drops the episode's name, musing that maybe Clifford had the right idea to off himself instead of living with the Blossom "family curse."
- Their First Time: Jughead and Betty have theirs at Jughead's trailer, while Archie and Veronica have theirs at Veronica's apartment. Jughead and Betty get interrupted and might not have continued, but Archie and Veronica are next seen in bed together the morning after.
- Unrequited Love Switcheroo: After months of Betty and Jughead being together, Archie is now starting to show feelings for her.
- Wham Episode: The Blossoms' complete downfall happens just as Hiram Lodge comes back in town to take charge, a new civil war breaks out between the Southside and the rest of town, Jughead is implied to go down a dark path, separating him from his friends, and crime and violence begin to spike, beginning with the a man aiming (and shooting) at Fred and Archie diving in the way at Pop's.
- Wham Line: From a Southside Serpent member to Jughead: "We've always got your back."
- Wham Shot: Four times.
- Jughead putting on the Southside Serpents jacket. Betty at least treats it this way.
- Cheryl on the lake, breaking the frozen water.
- Another one involving Cheryl: her setting fire to the house.
- In a both figurative and literal example, Fred getting shot at Pop's.
- Where It All Began: Archie and the gang run to Sweetwater River where Cheryl is trying to kill herself in the frozen river, and in the same white dress she wore when she and Jason went there.