These characters couldn't hold a poker face if their life depended on it. Every emotion is broadcasted for all to see. They may not even be aware of how readable they are.
Anime and Manga
- In Gabriel Dropout: Tapris ends up in a game of Old Maid against Satanichia which will determine Gabriel's fate, but Tapris face reveals all and Satania is easily able to avoid the Joker.
- In an episode of Love Live!, Umi is playing a card game with Kotori and Honoka. She holds two cards facing toward herself and lets them pick one. Kotori reaches for one, and Umi gets a look of dread on her face. Then Kotori reaches for the other one, and Umi positively lights up.
- Nisekoi: Kosaki Onodera ends up proving to have very big expressions in card games for Ichijou to notice effortlessly. However, her faces are so adorable that Ichijou can't help but take the joker card anyway. Chitoge Kirisaki is even worse with her face becoming completely gloomy when she takes the joker card. Their faces are so bad, Ichijou feels the need to tell them about it.
- In No Game No Life, this is one of the reasons why Stephanie Dola is so terrible at games as her face reveals everything. Unfortunately for her she's constantly at the mercy of Sora who specialises at reading people.
- In Ranma ½, Ranma is revealed to be this during the Gambling King Arc. When playing Old Maid, Ranma will get excited when his opposition is about to take the Joker, while looking sad when they pick another card. Ranma is later humorously put through Training from Hell to help him get a poker face, only to fail spectacularly, but injured his face so much that it became bandaged up and rendered impossible for anyone to tell his emotions.
- In Accel World, Kuroyukihime, piecing together several different clues, comes to the erroneous conclusion that Chiyu, whom she's just met, is actually Cyan Pile, the Burst Linker stalking her for the point bounty. In response, Haru claims that Chiyu, his long-time Childhood Friend, isn't capable of that, since, among other things, "Everything she's thinking shows up on her face and in her attitude." While Haru's ultimately right, Chiyu is later able to trick Nomi, staying with him until she gets enough levels to unlock the ability to take back Haru's wings for him, so perhaps she's a better actor than he thought.
Films — Animated
- In The Emoji Movie, Gene is a Meh emoji who's capable of making more than the Meh face. Throughout the beginning of the movie, he tries and fails to keep up the Meh face while on his way to work, much to the hostility of others (since emojis in the movie are supposed to only be able to make one face).
- In an episode of Joey, Joey is playing poker with Alex, and thoroughly losing; he wonders what he's doing wrong. Then he draws three new cards, and his eyes go big and he gasps before pressing his mouth into a line and trying to act nonchalant.
Joey: Alright, well, I guess I'll raise.Alex: I fold.Joey: It's like you can read my mind!
- In Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Terry has a tell in which he flexes his biceps whenever he has a good hand.
- In Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment, the gang decide to play a game of Texas Holdem. Leafa evidently has a very poor poker face and her brother Kirito is able to see right through her bluff. However the biggest offender has to be Klein, who tries to bluff with an All-In when he only has a measly hand of a pair of 4's, which Kirito immediately picks up on and beats him to.
- WarioWare: The microgame "Joker Face" has you facing such a character. Their expression makes it very clear what card is the joker. In the updated version in Gold, some rounds have them attempt to hide their tell with sunglasses while other rounds have them sweating.
- The protagonist of Liar! Uncover the Truth is noted to broadcast her emotions over her face. One character notices when her stocking was torn because he saw her looking down at her leg in worry; if pressed on how he knew, he explains and adds that she's an open book. Another sees her entering a fancy restaurant and notes that her eyes immediately go as wide as saucers. He remarks to her:
"You look like an untouchable goddess, but every tiny expression reads on your face."
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Dual Destinies, Fineas Filch's body language is very blatant about what he's feeling, which gives players a hint on which statement in his testimony is a lie.