Garry Gordon Marcus Chalk (frequently credited as Garry Chalk or Gary Chalk) is a British-born Canadian actor and voice actor. Chalk was born in Southampton, England on February 17, 1952, and moved to Vancouver, Canada in 1957. He has been involved with professional theatre since 1978, and has performed at The Playhouse, The Arts Club and numerous theatres in British Columbia, Ontario and Alberta. The last live stage production he did was A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, where he played Milos Gloriosous. He also performed in Henry IV and As You Like It at The Playhouse, as well as Dracula and Passion at The Arts Club.
He is a veteran of over 1,500 animated productions, benefited by a dignified voice and a strong range. He has mostly done work with The Ocean Group.
Most of his career has been in film and television, mostly those based in the Vancouver, BC area.
Some of his animated film roles include:
- Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies, as King Gurumes in the 90s dub
- Popeye's Voyage: The Quest for Pappy, as Bluto
- Scary Godmother, as Bug-a-Boo and Harry
- Mungus the giant in Dragon Tales
- Bad Rap in Extreme Dinosaurs
- Grounder and Captain Rescue in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Dr. Robotnik (and roughly half the one-off characters) in Sonic Underground
- Bluenose in Salty's Lighthouse
- The titular Devil King in Devil Kings
- Donovan Baine in the Darkstalkers cartoon
- Gangreeene in the Action Man (2000) series and Norris in the Action Man (1995) series.
- Guts Man, Dark Man, Bright Man, Stone Man, Needle Man and Heat Man in Mega Man (Ruby-Spears)
- Dr. Light in Mega Man: Fully Charged
- Hercules and Ares in Class of the Titans
- He-Man in The New Adventures of He-Man and as Duncan in He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2002)
- Jerry the Parrot in Sitting Ducks
- King Hippo and Donkey Kong in Captain N: The Game Master
- Lord Viper and Sir Phil in King Arthur & the Knights of Justice
- Lt. Stone in G.I. Joe Extreme
- Turbo, Slash, Al's Waiter and Herr Doktor in Reboot
- Commander Dogstar and Al Negator in Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars
- Optimus Primal in Beast Wars and Beast Machines. He also voiced the original Megatron for an episode.
- Optimus Prime in Transformers: Armada, Transformers: Energon, and Transformers: Cybertron (aka the Unicron Trilogy). Next to Peter Cullen, he is the most respected actor in the role.
- Silverbolt/Superion and Leadfoot in some Transformers: Generation 2 toy commercials.
- Barbie movies:
- Marsala and Shiva in Exo Squad
- Cavitus and Sol in 3-2-1 Penguins!
- Captain Pounder in Rollbots
- Sky Marshall Wade and Monset in Voltron Force
- Bumpity in Care Bears: Adventures in Care-a-Lot
His Live Action roles:
- Small Sacrifices, as Boyd Paul Downs
- Cold Squad: A recurring role for four years as Inspector Andrew Pawlachuk, which he won Gemini Awards in two consecutive years
- The Dead Zone, as James Stillson
- Deck the Halls, as Sheriff Dave
- Eureka, as Col. Briggs
- M.A.N.T.I.S., as Detective Reid
- Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation, as Silver the Gorilla
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2020), as Navy Chief of Staff
- Stargate SG-1: Col. Chekov, a recurring Russian character
- Painkiller Jane, as Ruben Hennessey
- A short cameo in Watchmen
- A brief appearance early on in Godzilla (2014) as an administrator at the same Japanese nuclear plant where Bryan Cranston worked.
- In Arrow he played the role of General J.G. Walker, a minor recurring antagonist.
- Wyoming state governor Billy Marshall in the Discovery Channel/BBC docu-drama Supervolcano about an hypothetical eruption of Yellowstone Caldera