Cold Squad (1998-2005) is a Canadian Police Procedural about a unit of homicide detectives who investigate cold cases. The series ran for seven seasons on CTV with a frequently changing cast; Julie Stewart as Sgt. Ali McCormick was the only cast member to remain for the entire series run.
Provides examples of:
- Deathbed Confession: "Picasso's Mistake" begins with a serial killer, convicted of killing six women, confessing to a priest as he lays dying that he only murdered five. This sets off an investigation to find a copycat.
- Government Agency of Fiction: The cold case division.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: In "All in the Family", Ali blows off a date and leaves him with colleagues standing near the elevator.Dan: Are any of you interested in Umberto's?Mickey: I've got to... *points, runs away*Len: I've got a... thing. *walks away*Nicco: *walks away*
- Only Bad Guys Call Their Lawyers:
- Exploited in "Personal Politics": the suspect asks to speak with his lawyer, but the detectives say that there's no need to get a lawyer involved, they just need him to explain his alibi. Wanting to appear helpful, he does so — and then the detectives immediately tear the alibi apart, having previously questioned the other people involved, and merely needing him to either confess or get caught in an obvious lie.
- In "All in the Family," the fact that a suspect not only got a lawyer, but got an expensive lawyer, provides a clue that he's guilty of more than the police knew about.
- Put on a Bus:
- Most of the cast changed after Season 2 (see Retool).
- In particular, Tony Lagozzo was shot in Season 3 Episode 1 and decided to retire at the end of Episode 2.
- The medical examiner, Sam Fisher, was caught up in a controversy due to a mistake he'd made in a prior case that nearly let a murderer go free. Feeling that he'd damaged the trust of his police colleagues, he voluntarily retired as an ME at the end of Season 4 and left the force.
- Frank Coscarella was present at the end of Season 4 but vanished from the show without warning, having only left an voice message to Ali saying he had taken a job in Toronto. It's strongly implied that he did so to be with his son, who has been in his mother's custody.
- Retool: Between Season 2 and Season 3, almost the entire cast was replaced, as well as the sets, and the credits sequence and music were changed.
- Revisiting the Cold Case: The premise of the series.