Charisma Carpenter (born July 23, 1970 in Las Vegas, Nevada) is an American actress.
She's best known as Cordelia Chase from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, as well as Jason Statham's girlfriend, Lacy, in The Expendables and its first sequel, and as Susan in the 2010 horror film Psychosis.
- Wendy Sanders on Baywatch (1 episode, 1994)
- Cordelia Chase on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel (1997-2004)
- Simone (voice) on Hey Arnold! ("Phoebe Skips", 1999)
- Kira/The Seer on Charmed (3 episodes, 2004)
- Kendall Casablancas on Veronica Mars (2005-06)
- Tegan Walker on Greek (recurring character, 2007-11)
- Mink on CSI ("The Descent of Man", 2009)
- Trianna on Legend of the Seeker ("Marked", 2009)
- Nicki on Burn Notice ("Better Halves", 2011)
- Maggie Stark on Supernatural ("Shut Up, Dr. Phil", 2011)
- Annie "Rebecca" Sewell on The Lying Game (2012)
- Michelle Mulan in Bound (2015)
Tropes associated with her work:
- Actor-Shared Background: She was a cheerleader, like her character Cordelia Chase.
- Advertised Extra: A lot of hype was made about her starring in Scream Queens (2015). She has five minutes of screen time in the second episode.
- Cast the Runner-Up: She had been auditioning for the role of Buffy Summers, and was reluctant to take the role of Cordelia - as she was getting tired of playing bitchy characters. Her agent persuaded her to take it.
- Casting Gag: On Charmed she plays a demon seer who longs to be human - the reverse of her role on Angel.
- Creator Backlash: She really hated the Season 4 storyline of Angel involving the possessed Cordelia sleeping with Connor. She found it creepy and hated filming it.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She and her friends were attacked by police officer/serial rapist Henry Hubbard Jr. but managed to fend him off. Carpenter retrieved some crucial evidence Hubbard left behind, i.e. his police-issue flashlight, leading to Hubbard's arrest and later conviction.
- Dawson Casting:
- Dyeing for Your Art: She had brownish hair with blonde highlights when she was cast as Cordelia - the same colour as her female co-stars Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alyson Hannigan. Hannigan went redhead while Carpenter went dark brown.
- Hide Your Pregnancy: Initially on Angel - with long coats and lots of black helping it along. Eventually her character's secret pregnancy became a plot point. But notably after giving birth, Cordelia only appeared unconscious and from the shoulders up (as Charisma hadn't given birth yet).
- Pop Culture Urban Legends: A long standing rumor was that Charisma had auditioned for Paige in Charmed (1998) after Shannen Doherty was fired. This appears to be false, as Holly Marie Combs claims Rose McGowan didn't audition and was offered the role straight away (she and Charisma are good friends, so she'd probably know if she did audition). Rose later confirmed that she didn't audition in her autobiography.
- Promoted to Opening Titles: In The Lying Game, she was just a recurring character in Season 1. She got bumped up to regular in Season 2.
- The Red Stapler: She's been told numerous times by fans that they named their daughters Cordelia in honour of her character.
- Separated-at-Birth Casting: Her role as Sutton and Emma's birth mother on The Lying Game was supposed to be a secret but everyone figured it out due to Carpenter's uncanny resemblance to Alexandra Chando.
- What Could Have Been: She was apparently offered the role of Delilah in The Faculty. As the character was an Alpha Bitch (though her Hidden Depths are revealed), she turned it down for being too similar to Cordelia Chase.