Shannen Maria Doherty (born April 12, 1971 in Memphis, Tennessee) is an American actress, producer, author, and television director. She is best-known for her roles on Beverly Hills, 90210 and Charmed.
She was born in Memphis, Tennessee, and raised Southern Baptist. She had guest spots in television series including Voyagers! and Father Murphy, the latter of which led to the recurring role of Jenny Wilder on Little House on the Prairie.
Her first major film role was in Heathers in 1989, followed by her Star-Making Role as Brenda Walsh in Beverly Hills, 90210, for which she was nominated for a Young Artist Award in 1991 and 1992. After leaving the show in 1994, her career consisted primarily of made-for-tv movies, aside from a lead role in Mallrats in 1995 and a cameo in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. In 1998, Doherty was cast in her second Aaron Spelling series, Charmed, where she played Prue until leaving at the end of the third series, which earned her two Saturn Award nominations for Best Genre TV Actress.
Film roles with TV Tropes pages:
- All I Want for Christmas
- Blood Lake: Attack of the Killer Lampreys
- Girls Just Want to Have Fun
- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
- Kiss Me Deadly
- Naked Gun 33 1/3: the Final Insult
- Night Shift
Television roles with TV Tropes pages:
- 21 Jump Street
- Beverly Hills, 90210
- Dancing with the Stars
- Highway to Heaven
- Life Goes On
- Little House on the Prairie
- Magnum, P.I.
- The New Normal
- The Phoenix
- Scare Tactics
Voice acting roles with TV Tropes pages:
- Actor Allusion:
- Actor-Inspired Element: She came up with the idea in Mallrats that Renee would be seen wearing everything she bought on her shopping trip. Apparently she had it in her contract that she could keep whatever Renee wore in the movie.
- Blooper: In the Heathers trailer, her name is mistakenly spelled 'Shannon'.
- The Cast Showoff: She sings on the Made-for-TV Movie Friends Til The End.
- Corpsing: In Heathers she can be seen grinning as she says "Veronica, why are you pulling my dick?" - this is apparently due to Shannen's conservative upbringing. She had problems keeping a straight face saying other curse words throughout filming.
- Creator Breakdown: Claims she suffered it on 90210 due to fans assuming she was just like Brenda.
- Dawson Casting:
- Not at first, as she was nineteen when the first season of 90210 aired, but continued to play a teenager across four seasons.
- She was however the same age as her character in Heathers.
- Directed by Cast Member: She directed the Charmed episodes "Be Careful What You Witch For", "The Good, the Bad and the Cursed" and "All Hell Breaks Loose".
- Enforced Method Acting: The Actor Allusion in Mallrats mentioned above was quickly thought up before the scene. Ethan Suplee however was not told that Shannen would respond, so that's his genuine reaction.
- Life Imitates Art: Prue and Phoebe were initially at odds but mended their sisterly relationship over Prue's three seasons on Charmed. Shannen and Alyssa Milano reconciled after the former was diagnosed with breast cancer.
- Money, Dear Boy: She was paid seven figures to appear in Playboy.
- Reality Subtext:
- She and Holly Marie Combs were best friends - and it was Shannen who recommended Holly for the part of Piper on Charmed. This is reflected in how Prue and Piper are closer to each other than with Phoebe.
- She had a huge crush on Jason Priestly and has said that fans picked up on it - often getting questions about Incest Subtext between Brenda and Brandon. Her response is usually "you better believe it".
- Role-Ending Misdemeanor:
- Romance on the Set:
- Separated-at-Birth Casting: Emmalee Thompson plays Prue's younger self on three episodes of Charmed, and has a striking resemblance to her. She also looks like she could be related to her on-screen grandmother Jennifer Rhodes.
- So My Kids Can Watch: Inverted. She appeared on Dancing with the Stars because her father was a fan of it.
- Star-Making Role: Brenda on Beverly Hills, 90210 made her a star.
- What Could Have Been:
- For Heathers Shannen really wanted to play Veronica, but Winona Ryder had already been cast. Producers wanted her as Heather Chandler, but she refused, and ended up cast as Heather Duke instead.
- Among the actresses considered to replace her on Beverly Hills, 90210 were Drew Barrymore, Alicia Silverstone and her future on-screen sister Alyssa Milano. Tiffani Thiessen was ultimately cast.
- Around the time Charmed's fifth season was airing, producers were in talks with Shannen about using her image on the show, creating an action figure based off Prue and allowing archive footage of her to be shown. They fell through and Prue's image was never seen on the show again, infamously not even in the finale, where it would have apparently cost $8000 to use her picture.