open/close all folders
Characters from the real world
- Portrayed by: Cayden Boyd
- Friendless Background: Marissa is the closest thing he has to an actual friend, and even then, Mr. Electricidad wants absolutely none of it. It's no wonder he made up Sharkboy and Lavagirl to help cope with it all.
- The Hero: He is the main hero of the movie. His goal is to save Planet Drool and his school from both Mr. Electric and Minus.
- Heroic BSoD: He undergoes a big one after the sudden deaths of Sharkboy and Lavagirl.
- Imagination-Based Superpower: Planet Drool was dreamt up by Max, so while there, his dreams can become reality. Sharkboy and Lavagirl even consider him more powerful than either of them because of this, but it takes much of the movie for him to start using his dream-based powers to their fullest, culminating in him learning to daydream and becoming a borderline Reality Warper there.
- Mr. Imagination: Kid's got one heck of an imagination.
- Parental Neglect: Max's parents don't have much time to pay attention to him, so he turns to his dreams for comfort.
- Portrayed by: Jacob Davich
- Big Eater: He is a very hungry boy.
- Bratty Half-Pint: He's Max's age and a huge jerk.
- The Bully: Max is his favorite target.
- Freudian Excuse: Max hypothesizes that Minus had his dreams shattered long ago and became embittered as a result. Presumably, this is also true of the real Linus.
- Large Ham: "Mr. Electric, send him to the principal's office and have him EXPELLED!!!"
- Portrayed by: George Lopez
- Badass Teacher: Unlike most teachers in fiction, he doesnt tolerate any bullies, especially when they pick on Max.
- Berserk Button: He doesn't take it kindly when his students mispronounce his last name.
- Heel Realization: He's quite thrown to realize that Max cast him as the bad guy in his dreams.
- Large Ham: "At the end of class, both of you will report to the principal's office...WITH YOUR PARENTS!"
- Overprotective Dad: Is unreasonably annoyed when Max strikes up some friendly chit-chat with his daughter.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: While he doesn't quite approve of Max's daydreaming, he's not unreasonably strict either. Overall, he's more or less a regular teacher trying to maintain order in his classroom.
- Portrayed by: Sasha Pieterse
- Bespectacled Cutie: She's sweet, adorable, and bespectacled. A younger version than most, but still.
- An Ice Person: Her Planet Drool counterpart, the Ice Princess, wields a gem capable of freezing anything. When Max brings it back from Planet Drool, the real Marissa proves to be able to use it as well.
- Mr. Imagination: Like Max, she has quite the active imagination.
- Only Friend: Although they're not quite friends, she's the only kid who seems to show Max any sort of kindness.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: Upon receiving the Crystal Heart, she removes her glasses before using it to finish off Mr Electric.
Characters from Planet Drool
- Portrayed by: Taylor Lautner
- Absurdly Sharp Claws: Sharp enough to scratch up a blackboard.
- Berserk Button: He does not like high-pitched sounds. At all. It actually comes in handy once, as the ensuing Unstoppable Rage allows him to tear through a metal cage like cardboard.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Through living with sharks, he effectively became part-shark. Try not to think about it too hard.
- Chewing the Scenery: Oftentimes literally, thanks to his mouth full of shark teeth.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: One of the reasons Sharkboy is so harsh and cold with Max, to the point of nearly attacking him a few times, is that his crush, Lavagirl, is very affectionate and motherly towards him.
- Does Not Like Spam: He really hates chocolate.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: In a fight, he prefers to get up close and personal with his strength and keen reflexes, in contrast to Lavagirl.
- Hot-Blooded: He's pretty impatient with practically everything the trio encounters.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He can be really harsh and cold to Max for his ignorance about the dream world, but still respects him more or less.
- Lightning Bruiser: He's stronger and faster than Lavagirl.
- Making a Splash: He can shoot water out of his hands.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Since he was raised by sharks and turned partly into one, he sports a lower jaw brimming with rows of wicked-looking triangular teeth.
- Opposites Attract: With Lavagirl.
- Parental Substitute: Max created him as a stand-in for his father.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: The blue boy to Lavagirl's pink girl. (Well, more of a bluish-gray, but still.)
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Ironically, despite their water and fire themes, Sharkboy is the Red Oni of the eponymous pair. He's quite temperamental and destructive, while Lavagirl is more calm and gentle.
- Shark Man: He has the body of a boy, but has certain shark characteristics, like gills, a dorsal fin, and shark teeth.
- Portrayed by: Taylor Dooley
- Amnesiac Hero: She remembers nothing about her past.
- Blessed with Suck: Having lava powers would be cool, if she didn't accidentally burn things and people on a regular basis. Suffice it to say, she's not very thrilled about the last bit.Lavagirl: Why did you make me destroy everything I touch? Why, Max?
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: Her main quest through the movie is to find out what her real purpose is. When she is resurrected, she learns that her true purpose is to be light.
- Faux Action Girl: Much is made of Lavagirl's destructive power, but she fails to hurt Mr. Electric, does nothing to any of his minions, and spends most of her time in the Ice Castle, where it would have made the most sense for her fire to come into play, frozen solid in a block of ice.
- Fiery Redhead: A very literal one (even though her hair is actually pink).
- Fiery Stoic: She has lava powers, but she's calm and quiet most of the time.
- Flaming Hair: Whenever she gets mad, her hair spontaneously ignites.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards the Ice Princess for Sharkboy calling her beautiful and also because of her power over ice, which is Lavagirl's weakness.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: Lavagirl generally relies more on using her powers to attack with streams of lava, in contrast to Sharkboy relying more on his fists.
- Heroic BSoD: She goes through one after accidentally destroying Max's dream journal.
- Logical Weakness: Of course water and cold temperatures would be dangerous to a girl made of molten lava.
- Magma Man: Um, yes.
- Mysterious Past: Unlike Sharkboy, we get nothing about Lavagirl's past.
- Nice Girl: A lot more gentler and caring towards Max out of the duo.
- Opposites Attract: With Sharkboy.
- Parental Substitute: Max created her as a stand-in for his mother.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: The pink girl to Sharkboy's blue boy.
- Power Incontinence: As an unfortunate side effect of her abilities, she also burns everything she touches.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Ironically, despite their water and fire themes, Lavagirl is the Blue Oni. She's kind and tranquil, while Sharkboy is more reckless and easily angered.
- Slime Girl: A variation. Since she's more or less living lava, she can distort her body in various ways, which include turning her head around a full 360 degrees, melting her body into a lava puddle to move freely around to escape capture, and in one scene one of her legs detaches from her body and she immediately fuses it back on.
- Team Mom: She is usually the one who looks out for Max and has to keep Sharkboy under control.
- Portrayed by: George Lopez
- The Dragon: To Minus.
- Dragon Ascendant: For the last leg of the film, Minus makes a HeelFace Turn, and Mr. Electric takes over as the main threat.
- Evil Is Hammy: The faces he makes are just the tip of the iceberg.Mr. Electric: Who turned on the LIIIIIIIIGHTS?!
- FaceHeel Turn: According to Lavagirl, Mr. Electric used to be the benign electrician of Planet Drool before he started trying to take it over for Minus.
- Literally Shattered Lives: He's finally stopped by Marissa using the Crystal Heart (which Max brought back from Planet Drool) to freeze him solid and shatter him.
- Pungeon Master: He constantly makes puns relating to, as you'd probably expect, electricity.
- TV Head Robot: His main body appears to be a giant screen with Mr. Electricidad's distorted face on it.
- Portrayed by: Jacob Davich
- Appropriated Appellation: His name is the Embarrassing Nickname Mr. Electricidad gave to Linus.
- Big Bad: He's the reason why Planet Drool is in the ruined state that it is.
- Chest Insignia: A minus symbol, naturally.
- Evil Is Hammy: Oh dear God, yes.
- HeelFace Turn: By the end of the movie, he makes one with the help of Max.
- High Collar of Doom: As if he wasn't already enough of a bad guy, Minus sports one nearly as tall as his entire head. He loses it after his HeelFace Turn.
- Large Ham: Just like his real world counterpart.