The Characters of ''Gigantor
open/close all folders
Shotaro Kaneda (Jimmy Sparks)
- Adorably Precocious Child
- Age Lift: The original manga and 1963 series depict him as 12 years old whereas the 1980s and Imagawa-directed series depict him as 10 years oldnote .
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Happened once in the 47th Episode wherein he was used as a mindless "test pilot" of Tetsujin as part of the Canadian Criminal's plot to sell Tetsujin. He, however, was saved by Black Ox when the gyrocopter was destroyed by it.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: At the end of the 80's series, he takes out Uchuu Maoh, a living black hole!
- Disappeared Dad: His father dying is pretty much a constant in all versions of the story, usually done before the story even starts.
- The Power of the Sun: The source of Tetsujin's power in the 80's series. It turns out to be the opposite of Uchuu Maoh's black hole-granted power, making it the key to defeating him.
Professor Shikishima (Dr. Bob Brilliant)
- Voiced by: Minoru Yada (60's series), Yoshio Kaneyuchi (80's series), Shigeru Ushiyama (2004 series), Kanehiro Yamamoto (gao!)
- The Professor
- Parental Substitute: To Shotaro after his father dies.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Only in Gao! series wherein he has purple-hued hair
Inspector Shigeru Ohtsuka (Inspector Ignatz Blooper)
- Voiced by: Kousei Tomita (60's and 80's series), Minoru Inaba (2004 series), Takashi Matsuyama (gao!)
- Transplant: The 80's version of him was later used in Godmars.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He wore a pink police uniform in the Gao! series.
Kenji Murasame (Dick Strong)
- Voiced by: Shirou Kuno (60's series, 1st), Toshio Andou (60's series, 2nd), Yuji Mikimoto (Giant Robo & the 2004 series), Kanehiro Yamamoto (gao!)
- Adaptational Personality Change: His characterization in the 2004 version is the same as his characterization in the Giant Robo OVA's, he even has the same voice actor due to Imagawa directing both series.
- Real Men Wear Pink: The one that Kenji wore from 2004 series and the 2007 movie is the same clothes as the one from the Giant Robo OVA's
- The Rival: To Shotaro
80s Series Characters
This includes both recurring and minor characters in the 80s Series.
Makiko Shikishima (Bonnie Brilliant)
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Happened once in the series (22nd episode), wherein she was one of the children who were kidnapped during the rollercoaster ride and brainwashed to become mindless child soldiers plotted by a man disguised as a fancy-dressed lady. Fortunately, she was the first one to be "snapped" by Shotaro by having the helmet (brainwashing device) removed.
- Distressed Damsel: Happened a few times, notably being hostaged by villains (7th Episode) and her in the cliff alsong with the car she rode (12th Episode) with the purpose for the villains to defeat or rob Tetsujin (by robbing Shotaro's V-Con).
- Gender Flip: ... and Composite Character to Tetsuo Shikishima from the original as the child of Prof. Shikishima
- Panty Shot: Happened briefly in some episodes.
Utako Shikishima (Bea Brilliant)
80's Series Villains
Includes both major and minor villians from the 80s Series.
Branche (Dr. Murkybottom)
- Voiced by: Osamu Kobayashi, Ikuya Sawaki (Super Robot Wars)
- Arch-Enemy: With Shotaro, due to him killing Dr. Kaneda in this version.
- You Killed My Father : By Episode 24 although this was hinted during his flashbacks in the second episode
Gina Hayakawa/ El Satan (Marana)
- Beneath the Mask : see Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She was a known tennis player and a would-be coach to Makiko (Bonnie) but the inside is that she, as El Satan, was the leader of the criminal group planning to use Tetsujin for reasons
Demon Beast Prince Gura (Coldark)
- The Dragon: To his father, Uchuu Maoh.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: That's how his death looked like.
- Human Alien: The only one in Uchuu Maoh's group
- The Rival: To Shotaro.
- Spell My Name with an "S": His name can be Gura, Gula or Guura, depending on the choice
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He has teal/green-hued hair.
Uchuu Maoh (Moldark)
- Big Bad
- Dark Is Evil
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: When your name (which may as well be just a title) means "Space Demon King", it's pretty easy to guess that 1. You're not a good guy, and 2. You are not somebody to be trifled with.
- Physical God: Due to combining himself with a black hole.
- Social Darwinist: Believes that the law of the universe is that only the strong survive.