- DC Universe Online:
Deathstroke: (taking a flamethrower, to Riddler) I've got a burning question for you.
- Carth Onasi's great line from Knights of the Old Republic: "DOWN YOU GO!"
- "I got a present for ya!"
- Parodied in Kingdom of Loathing:
"PANCAKES!" you howl, testing the theory that it doesn't actually matter what you howl, so long as you get the correct volume and murderous inflection. "PANCAAAAAAAAAAKES!" Your foe scampers away in fear, lending credence to your hypothesis.
- Baldur's Gate has quite a few used by both villain and hero, even if we discount the fact that every character has his own Battle Cries.
- Minsc has the best battle cries. "Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes! Raaagghhhhhhh!!"
- Even better: "Jump on my sword while you can, evil! I won't be as gentle!"
- "Evil, meet my sword! Sword, meet Evilllllllllllllllll!"
- Happens quite often in the Touhou, usually delivered by the final boss:
- but Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil and Perfect Cherry Blossom are unique in the fact that both the heroine and the final boss deliver one each other simultaneously:
Return under the flowers, ghost of spring!
Sleep under the flowers, red-white butterfly!
- Mass Effect, made by the same company as Baldur's Gate, includes a whole lot of team chatter that qualifies, including a shout-out to Minsc's famous line:
- Tali: "Go for the Optics, Chikkita! Go for the Optics!"
- Jack: "Hello, dead people!"
- Mordin: "Flammable! Or inflammable! Forget which! Doesn't matter!"
- Grunt: "I! AM! KROGANNNNNN!"
- Kasumi: "Now you see me..." *cue Stealth Hi/Bye and Back Stab*
- Zaeed: "Sit down!"
- Commander Shepard is full of these. If we were to list all the one-liners s/he says we would probably have to give Mass Effect its own section. AGAIN!
- Emily Wong got one in a Twitter feed. She was in an aircar, unarmed, bleeding, with a Reaper right in front of her. She had only one choice. Her last message: "You want to see how a human dies? At ramming speed." A shame she almost certainly accomplished nothing with it.
- "I AM URDNOT WREX! AND THIS! IS MY!! PLANET!!!"
- Even Joker gets one (sorta): "It's joking time!"
- Sovereign in the first game gets some good ones:
We have no beginning. We have no end. We are infinite. Millions of years after you civilization has been eradicated and forgotten, we will endure. We are legion. The time of our return is coming. Our numbers will darken the sky of every world. You cannot escape your doom. Your words are as empty as your future. I am the vanguard of your destruction. This exchange is over.
I AM SOVEREIGN! AND THIS STATION IS MINE!
You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.
- Every Fighting Game you can find these days.
- Most phrases said by video game bosses before the Boss Battle, especially in RPGs. Most well-known example: "I, Garland, will knock you all down!".
- "Your hope ends here! And your meaningless existence with it!"
- Final Fantasy X in general has the characters say one-liners before casting spells and using skills. Lulu is particularly known for that.
- Final Fantasy VI
- "My name is Ultima... I am power both ancient and unrivaled... I do not bleed, for I am but strength given form... Feeble creatures of flesh... Your time is nigh!"
- "Life... Dreams... Hope... Where do they come from? And where do they go? Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!"
- The Big Bad of VII gets several on separate occasions (and games):
Sephiroth: Well, that's an interesting sword you're carrying. (indicating Sora's weapon)
Donald: It's the Keyblade.
Sephiroth: I see. So that's a Keyblade. (to Sora) And I suppose you must be its chosen wielder.
Sora: So what if I am?
Sephiroth: I wonder if it won't change its mind, once I defeat you.
- Zack Fair, a non-villain example: "...and above all... protect your honor... AS SOLDIER!! COME AND GET IT!!!" To a whole army.
- Dissidia: Final Fantasy has all characters say something when the battle starts, and a good part of the time it'll be this trope, or some sort of mocking comment about the opponent. The prequel Dissidia 012 went further with custom introductory quotes for storyline battles where both character speaks. For example, this gem from the Final Boss:
Garland: "I will grant you true and utter annihilation!"
Lightning: "Bring it on! I don't need a second chance!"
- From Chrono Cross: "Now, let love bleed! Darker and deeper than the seas of hell!"
- Gene from God Hand has a few of these, even more irrelevant than usual because he doesn't give a damn about his opponent. "You can wax on wax off all you like, I'm still kicking your ass" is probably the most well-known. Probably the most amusing is the one word he spouts in response to the Mad Midget Five's Team Shot:
- Elvis' "I'm gettin' hungry, hombre!"
- Team Fortress 2 has those whenever an ubercharge is used on a Heavy. "Is good time to run cowards!"
- NOW IS COWARD KILLING TIME!
- I AM BULLET-PROOOOOOOF!! *Commence ass-kicking*
- The Soldier's Buff Banner when used also makes him utter one of his battle cries.
- Also, every character on both teams at the very start of a round. They can also be used at any time through the "Battle cry" voice command.
- The "Meet the Medic" short gives us this:
- Gaz/GHOST/the SAS announcer in all three Modern Warfare games. "Let's do this."
- "Can't let you do that, Star Fox!"
- "Andross has ordered us to take you down."
- "Peppy! Long time, no see!"
- "Andross' enemy is my enemy!"
- "Your daddy screamed REEEEEALL good before he DIED!"
- "Think you're tough eh? In that case, IT'S SECRET WEAPONS TIME!"
- "Dang! DEPLOY IT NOW!"
- Devil May Cry: Dante practically lives for these.
- "Let's rock, baby!"
- "I can already tell, looks like this is gonna be one hell of a party!"
- "So, this is what they call a heartwarming family reunion, eh?"
- Vergil even has a retaliatory one-liner for that one: "You got that right."
- And of course Nero's short and sweet "Let's roll."
- When using Buster on Sanctus, one of his lines is "You are the demon. NOT ME!"
- Bayonetta has several, including Dante's "Let's rock, baby!"
- This is part of the reason why Duke Nukem is such a Badass, even though he lifts a few lines from other sources. Example: "Come on out, Morphix. There's only two ways this can end, and in both of 'em, you die!"
- From Vampire: The Masquerade — Redemption, said by a crusader who has survived to the modern nights.
Christof Romuald: Stand, sir, or wouldst thou arrive in hell squatting upon thy arse?
- Knights of the Old Republic II actually has one for, of all people, Bao-Dur.
Bao-Dur: "I think he wanted us to give the General to his poorly trained collection of bounty hunters."
Atton: "Well that makes sense. Which one do you want?"
Bao-Dur: "I'll take the stupid one who decided to threaten us rather than shoot us when he had the chance."
- A particularly impressive one from the Sith Warrior in Star Wars: The Old Republic:
- More than a few of these in Kingdom Hearts, especially from the Organization XIII baddies.
- Axel, Demyx (below), Larxene, and Xemnas:
: "Oh? So you really do
remember me this time. I'm sooooo FLATTERED.
But you're toooo LATE!"
(during the intro sequence of the boss fight
): "Come here! I'll make it all STOP! BURN! BABEH!
Xemnas: "I cannot feel sorrow... no matter what misery befalls your worlds. No matter what you think, what you feel, or how you exist"
- Cloud's memorable and extremely clever comeback to Sephiroth's taunts (several times): Shut up!
- Gems from Auron: "I foresee no difficulty," "You don't want to move," and "Pray. Now."
- "They'll pay for this." Cue Flung Clothing and Roaring Rampage of Revenge.
- And what about some of Those Few Bosses' lines, such as "Different name, same fate," the Lingering Sentiment's ever so simple "Xehanort!" or Demyx's Let's Get Dangerous line, "Silence, traitor."
- Zexion, his attempted Mind Rape of Riku thwarted and on the verge of a Villainous Breakdown, gets one during his (actual) boss fight in re:CoM (he was The Unfought in the original). Had Axel not started a chain of events leading to Naminé playing Spanner in the Works, he might have very well succeeded in carrying out his threat.
: "Then I shall make you see... That your hopes are nothing—nothing but a mere illusion
Riku: Glad I get to fight more than boredom.
- And, from the same game, and in the same world
- Even the manga adaptation cannot avoid such badass lines. One noticeable example is Sora taking out an out-of-control Magnum Loader.
- Many Time Crisis bosses:
- Sherudo Garo (Time Crisis Stage 2 boss): "Since you have traveled so very far, be my guest and let me ENTERTAIN YOU!"
- Buff Bryant (Time Crisis II Stage 2 boss): "It's time for you to say goodbye!"
- Ernesto Diaz (Time Crisis II Stage 3 boss): "This is not a real satellite, anyway let me ENTERTAIN YOU!"
- Victor Zahn (Time Crisis 3 Stage 1 boss): "Say goodbye!"
- Wild Fang (Time Crisis 3 Stage 3-1): "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wild Fang, and it's a pleasure to meet YOU!"
- Giorgio Zott ((Time Crisis 3 Stage 3 boss): "And now... Time to get rid of you both!"
- Marcus Black (Time Crisis 4 Stage 1-3): "You want it? Then come over here and TAKE IT!"
- Jack Mathers (Time Crisis 4 Stage 2-3): (in response to Captain Rush asking "Where's your patriotism?") "What good is patriotism?"
- Wild Dog (Time Crisis 4 Stage 3-2): "A bunch of annoying little flies..."
- Gregory Barrows (Time Crisis 4 Stage 3 boss): "You two... are gonna DIE HERE!"
- Robert Baxter (Time Crisis 5 Final Stage boss): "Now then, shall we begin?!"
- Altered Beast: "WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM!"
- The beginning of a Gears of War multiplayer match normally has someone saying something.
- Soulcalibur IV, as with other games in the series and most modern fighting games, have these for each character. One, in particular, stands out, from Guest Fighter Darth Vader: "Unwise." Equal parts simple and menacing.
- In Fire Emblem 7 before taking down the Big Bad, all characters that are taking part in the battle get to deliver one, or at the very least the group they're fighting for. The best is Canas' "Let this battle be forgotten by history, that is all I ask."
- Hector gets this beauty of a quote when facing the boss of his version of chapter 11:
Hector: You see, I'm about as angry as I've ever been. I doubt that even a dozen of you could slow me down. Prepare to die!!!
- In Awakening, all characters have quotes when they land a critical hit or activate a skill. The line generally viewed as the best belongs to Frederick.
Frederick: "Pick a god and pray!"
- This comes back in Fates. One of the more memorable quotes is The Avatar shouting for the glory of the respective kingdom you choose to fight for, once they promote.
- "It's time for revenge." "Let's attack aggressively."
- And the lesser known "What is this place?" "Keep your eyes peeled!" *gun cocking sounds*
- In Blood Omen 2, before the first boss, the boss in question says that Kain will die if he fights the Sarafan Lord, Kain says that may be true, and then adds, "But you will never know how it ends, Faustus, for I will bury you first of all."
- If you haven't played the other games before Defiance, it does a great job at explaining Kain to you in the first five minutes.
Sarafan: "Surender, fiend, and we promise you an easy death."
- One female voiceset in Neverwinter Nights says "I hope you like pain!" when you attack an enemy
- Super Smash Bros..:
- BlazBlue has some characters with truly justifiable one liners.
- "I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future... I consume time... And I will consume you!"
- killer7 has Harman's first lines in the game "Good night child, it's past your bed time."
- And Dan's classic, "I went to see the Devil, now it's your turn."
- World of Warcraft: Each of the Alliance & Horde faction leaders will deliver one of these if you attack them.
- One attack on the Horde capital city of Orgrimmar featured this especially well. The raid organisers were targetting Thrall, warchief of the orcs, and forgot (as many do on both factions) that the leader of the trolls also spends most of his time in Thrall's keep. They charged Thrall at full speed, only to hear from behind, "Dis gonna be de last mistake you make, mon" seconds before Vol'jin the Shadowhunter tore their formation apart, starting with the healers at the back.
- "Leeroy Jenkins!"
- "Arcanite Reaper, HOOO!"
- During the Gunship Battle we have "You DARE board my ship? Your death will come swiftly." if you're on Horde and "What's this then?! Ye won't be takin' this son o' Ironforge's vessel without a fight!." if you're on Alliance.
- During the Wrathgate cinematic, Saurfang the Younger delivers this gem:
Rise up, sons of the Horde! Blood and glory await us!
- The standard BattleCry of "FOR THE HORDE!" or "FOR THE ALLIANCE!" can work as one of these.
- In Metal Gear Solid, Snake and Otacon are trapped inside a building while the Big Bad circles it in an armed helicopter. Snake tells Otacon to go fix the elevator so they can move on, and Otacon asks Snake what he intends to do. Snake's response? "I've got to go and swat a noisy fly."
"I said my sword was a tool of justice... Not used in anger. Not used for vengeance. But now... now I'm not so sure. And besides... This isn't my sword.
- The video game adaption of The Warriors had each warrior give one of these when entering rage mode. Here is an example from each warrior:
- Cleon: Here comes the motherfucking warchief, asshole!
- Swan: I'm gonna march right through you!
- Ajax: You stupid fucks!
- Snow: Enough of this bullshit! You're fucking finished!
- Rembrandt: Let me show you how the Warriors bump!
- Vermin: All right, all right, that's fucking it!
- Cowboy: I'm gonna go wild on you asshole!
- Fox: I'll show you how to flex!
- Cochise: Bring it on sucka!
- S.W.I.N.E. has units that always drop a taunt whenever they spot an enemy or score a kill. The combatants are rabbits (French accent) and pigs (German accent). The best are the rabbit artillery units.
I'm going to open a can of whoopass on these pigs!
I'm supposed to be afraid? You gotta be kidding me...
Adieu, mon ami...
Whoa, brother! You really had to eat that much slop?
Off ya go to hog heaven!
(Hungarian version) Here, lead pill from the pharmacy!
(Hungarian version) I'm gonna kick you so hard you'll fly home!
- Lunar: Eternal Blue:
Lucia: Dragons of Althena, come forth!
Ruby: This is it! Let's go!
Nall: Let's rock!
- In Yggdra Union Gulcasa give the anti heroic version of this trope during his first confrontation with Milanor.
Milanor: So you're the big man around here, huh? Get ready!
Gulcasa: We haven't been introduced, so I'll think of you as "Prey".
- And when using his card's special ability, Gulcasa brings one tried and true line back.
Gulcasa: ARE YOU READY?!'
- "You talk too much".
- Persona 3 has a lot of great lines after you knock down an enemy and get a chance to have all four characters gang up on it, such as Akihiko's "Oh, I've been waiting for this!" and Junpei's "Come back here, you son of a-!"
- "I make my living as an elevator attendant but... I know several effective ways of inflicting pain. Don't worry, I'm not as fragile as I look. Try to kill me... if you can."
- And its Spear Counterpart: I am he who governs power. I should pose a challenge, even for you. I advice that you do not hold back. Fight as though you intend to kill.
- Every Shadow boss in Persona 4 starts with "I am a Shadow, the true self..."
- Kanji: "I LIVE FOR THIS PART!"
- Teddie: "Just say the word, and it's bear time!"
- "Target verified. Commencing hostilities." The last words you will hear.
- Do not...toy with me
- Also: "Haven't I killed ALL of you yet?!"
- "It's game time." (HEY! That's my line!)
- "Hasta luego."
- In Tales of Symphonia, Corrine dies to protect Sheena from Volt. After Lloyd motions her into action Sheena yells "For the sake of everyone that risked their lives to protect me, Volt...I DEMAND YOUR POWER!" The party then kills the God of Thunder and Lightning.
- Lloyd and Kratos team up to do this at the Iselia Ranch. As Forcystus emerges from the front doorway after shooting Lloyd, Kratos says very calmly that he is disappointed that this is how the great Desian hero Forcystus meets his end. He doesn't need to do anything though, as Lloyd does the asskicking part for him WHEN HE SHANKS HIM. Kratos has some choice lines when he finishes off Kvar ("Feel the pain" *slash* "Of those inferior beings" *slash* *sheathes sword* "as you burn in hell") and before right after you kill Remiel in the first time in the tower of salvation and Kratos show up and as the fight starts he say "Do you earnestly think you can defeat ME?"
- Darksiders: "You can look at me in the eye when I kill you."
- In later Tales Of games, many player characters get pretty awesome lines before shredding their opponents up with Mystic Artes:
"I, who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee to open the gates of hell! Come forth, divine lightning! This ends now! INDIGNATION!!!
- The Empire's Assassin droids in Star Wars Droidworks say nothing but these once they see you. One such gem stands out: "There's nothing like a warm BLASTER to brighten your day!"
- Red Faction: Guerrilla: Alec Mason cracks quite a few of these during the game, but the most epic one happens in the end, when the Red Faction is about to shoot down the Hydra, the largest warship ever known to man.
Kobel: This is Admiral Kobel of the EDF Hydra. What is your status?
Mason: Just fine, Admiral, but yours is about to go red.
- Dragon Age: Origins Alastair gives us this gem.
Alright, who ordered death?
- Deus Ex:
Bob Page: "Soon, I will become pure energy. I will burn like the brightest star."
JC Denton: "You're gonna burn alright."
- From No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, Travis will deliver quite a lot of these (In addition to Pre- and Postmortem One Liners.)
- v.s. Skelter Helter: "And when you see your brother in hell, tell him, that he's still a DOUCHE!"
- v.s. Nathan Copeland: "Hale-fucking-lujah!"
- v.s. Matt Helms: "Time for some pro-bono ghost-busting!"
- v.s. Jasper Batt Jr. (last form): "Come on, Prez! Unleash your hate! Your anger! Everything! I'll take it all and FUCKING kill you with it!"
- Travis gives a good number of these in the first one too.
To Dr.Peace: "This is what I LIVE FOR. Fighting your own kind, nothing's more gratifying!"
To Destroyman: "If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious."
To Holly: "Normal assassins don't shoot the shit like this. They see their target and KILL THEM!"
To Harvey: "IT'S KILLING TIME!"
To Bad Girl: "You're no assassin. You're just a perverted killing maniac."
To Jeane: "All of your sorrows end today, Jeane."
- Asura's Wrath: Come on! (To a fucking planet-sized god, and he wins.)
- The game itself delivers one in Episode Twelve, when Asura goes into his Berserker Form.
Achievement Unlocked: "Heads Will Roll"
- Neverwinter Nights' NPCs and PCs have voice that sets will occasionally have them say one of these once they attack an enemy.
- Dark Hero: "NO QUARTER!"
- Reserved Guardian: "Let the earth take you!"
- Confident: "I'll handle this one!"
- Dramatic: "Your death has been too long delayed."
- In Neverwinter Nights 2, this ultimately fails with Kaelyn the Dove, for which she can explain why. And this is one of her One Liners.
Kaelyn: "Oh... you... oh, I don't know any profanities! How embarrassing..."
- EVE Online gives us this from the trailer for the latest expansion, called Incursion. This particular one-liner precedes the collective ass-kicking of a galactic cluster, 4 established empires and their respective naval forces, and the player-base.
Sansha Kuvakei: "I will vanquish your fear, and commute your flesh...to dust."
- Wing Commander Prophecy has Maestro's: "I think we haven't been properly introduced yet, I'm Maestro, you're dead,"
- MechWarrior's BattleMechs themselves almost seem to coincidentally have one every mission you start off already in the middle of a fight. Given that your 'Mech is an armored behemoth bristling with more than enough firepower to level a city block in a single instant the third part of the line rather... telling.
Mech Power Up Voice Over: "Reactor online, sensors online, weapons online. All systems nominal."
- From Dead Space 2: "Fuck you, and fuck your Marker!"
- From Dead Space 3: "You can't have us..."
- In Golden Sun: Dark Dawn:
- Subverted, Arcanus teleports away.
- Played quite nicely in Portal 2, although the person the one-liner was directed at never actually got their ass-kicked;
: I hope you brought something stronger than a portal gun this time. Otherwise, I'm afraid you're about to become the immediate past
president of the Being Alive Club. Ha Ha.
: This next test involves turrets. You remember them, right? They're the pale spherical things that are full of bullets. Oh wait, that's you in five seconds. Good luck.
: I suppose we could just sit in this room and glare
at each other until somebody drops dead... But I have a better idea. It's your old friend, deadly neurotoxin. If I were you, I'd take a deep breath. And hold it.
- And then there's the absolutely side-splitting example from the intro of chapter 9:
: Well, this is the part where he kills us. Wheatley
: Hello! This is the part where I kill you!
Chapter 9: The Part Where He Kills You.
BGM: The Part Where He Kills You
Achievement Unlocked: The Part Where He Kills You
Achivement Subtitle: This is that part
- Dungeon Siege 3 has one especially memorable one.
- The World Ends with You has some memorable ones; one of the best is from Neku and Joshua's Level 3 Fusion Attack:
Neku: "Another world awaits!"
Joshua: "And you're going."
- Also, Neku and Beat's Level 3 Fusion:
Beat: "Let's start it up!"
Neku: "No, let's end it!"
- In Eternal Sonata, if you build up enough echoes before unleashing a special attack, the character will say something awesome.
Falsetto: "By thunder and lightning will you be thrown. By wind will you be scattered. Heaven and Earth! Howling Thunder!"
Fredric: "There is power within my melodies! Listen! Piu Grave!"
Salsa: "Descend from Heaven and shatter the Earth! Deadly Orbit!"
March: "The bright light within me is apart of all things that shine! Super Nova!"
Polka: "Stay out of my way! Pure Geyser!"
- Left 4 Dead
Bill: "Goddamn Smoker! You're going to have to use that tongue of yours to pull my foot out of your ass!"
Bill (Sacrifice Comic): "Hold your horses, I'll be with you in a minute."
Nick: "I have not...come this far...to die now!"
Ellls: "Kill all sons of bitches...that's my official instructions."
Coach: And when we run outta bullets...baby, they gonna wish we hadn't.
Coach Oleander: Kochamara does not speak giant monster boy language.
Raz: The only word you're gonna need is "ouch."
- In Wario World, Wario frequently utters the line "I'm-a number one!" before boss battles.
- In Sonic Adventure 2, Both Sonic and Shadow have lines when their final fights start up
Shadow: [Against Sonic] Before this is over, I'll show you the true power of Chaos Control!
Sonic: [Against Shadow] Alright, Shadow, time to finish this!
- The conversation before the fight might even count as one as well:
Shadow: So, there's more to you than just looking at you. What are you, anyway?
Shadow: I see. Well, you know, I can't let you live. Your adventuring days are coming to an end!
- In Sonic Heroes, right before the Egg Emperor boss fight in their story, Team Sonic gives us this exchange.
Tails: This time you won't get away!
Knuckles: Give it up!
Sonic: This looks like checkmate, Doctor!
: Hmph! Enough of this! Sonic, Tails, Knuckles! [Egg Emperor armor clanks down with perfect timing]
Time to meet your maker! [swings lance]
- Also, after said cutscene, Eggman starts the battle with this.
Eggman: I'll show you what real evil is!
- G.I. Joe
- Vega Strike has Dialogue Tree entries for cases when AI pilot is aggressive and taunts or hostile and fails to be appeased:
): "I put your flesh back inside your bones!" Mechanist
: "I'm going to retrofit you in unspeakable ways!"
Pyro will turn you to toast! The Blob:
Nothing moves the Blob! Magneto
: Hahahaha, X-Men, welcome to die! Emma Frost
: The White Queen welcomes you to die! Juggernaut
: Juggernaut will flatten you!
- In Primal you need to get back the sword of a ghost from the Wraith Captain who executed him.
Jen: "Now that's a sword I'd kill for."
- In Starcraft we have the following badass exchange:
Phoenix:"The Khala awaits me, Kerrigan. But although I am prepared to meet my destiny, you will not find me an easy prey."
Kerrigan:"Then that. Will be. Your epitaph."
- Also in one cinematic, where Zeratul faces Kerrigan.
Kerrigan:"The galaxy will burn at their coming."
Zeratul:"Perhaps... But you won't live to see it!"
- Every boss in Virtua Cop:
: "Hahahahaha! Pretty bold, aren't we? I'll take care of you myself!"
: "Haha! Show's enough, you two! So you made it this far, huh? Haha!"
Fang: "This chopper is all I need. I'm through with you two! Now, you meet your maker!"
: "Hahaha! Where are you looking? I'm over here, cops!"
Bladley: "I'll remember this last moment after I finish you. Die!"
Fang: "It seems my plan as been ruined. But I can at least finish you!"
- Silent Scope:
Cobra: "I told you I'll survive to have my revenge! Feel my reborn power!"
Smith: "Go to hell!"
Shaker: "Oh my! Our guest has no sense of style! But I suppose a guest is better than no guest at all! Welcome, welcome! Come, come now, do stay a while and enjoy yourself!"
Ray: "You there! Wait! So you're the scum that's causing all the commotion! Thanks to you, I had to drag my ass all the way out here! It's hot and stuffy in here... My suit's getting dirty... This is the pits! Sorry, but I have to kill you now... I'm kinda in a hurry to get back home..."
: "Hahaha! Let the fire burn!"
Robert: "Now why don't you just relax..."
- Two Worlds uses this to alert the player to the presence of enemies. In dialog it is noticable that the PC becomes more free with them when he is accompanying Reesa, who he is attracted to.
Reesa: Damn! Looks like we're out of plans.
PC: Looks like something's in our way.
- Where as most Fighting Games use, "Ready? Fight!" before matches, Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age Of Heroes gives us...
Announcer: Prepare to kick butt. BEGIN!
- From BioShock Infinite's Motorized Patriot:
The Lord judges. I act.
- From Guild Wars 2, for Human characters who choose the street-rat personal story:
Two-Blade Pete: You think you're smarter than Pete, do ya? Think you hurt me? Let me tell you something—
Player: Better men than you have tried.
Player: Tried... and died.
- The Legend Of Zelda C Di Games:
- From Link: Faces of Evil:
"Join me, Link
, and I will make you a face—the grrrreatest
in Koridai! Or else you will DIE.
- From Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon:
- In Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped, Dingodile delivers one before his boss fight:
- In Hard Corps: Uprising:
Tiberius: "You again... So, you want me dead? I'm going to enjoy this battle!"
- Diablo 3 gives us this one.
Diablo: "Even in the heart of heaven, angels can still feel fear."
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War has many. Each expansion adds more, and basically half the lines in the series are these.
Apothecary: "Death or healing... I care not which you seek."
Dreadnought: "At last, back to war."
Force Commander: "Come! Show me what passes for fury among your misbegotten kind!"
- In Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, the Mr. Gutsy robots say these almost exclusively: "Every day is a good day to die!" "Kill'em all and let GOD sort 'em out!" "Looks like it's my lucky day." "Take THAT, you commie bastard!"
Every companion in New Vegas has one of these before combat starts. They range from the amusing (Arcade Ganon's "Oh here we go!) to the understated (Sharon Cassidy's "And then the fight started") to the genuinely disturbing (cold sniper Craig Boone's calm "You're mine).
- Upon fighting the final boss of Lethal Enforcers II: Gunfighters, he says, "Arise, my friends!"
- Transistor has Royce Brackett start off the final fight with one as he uses his own Transistor to enter Bullet Time and fire energy blasts at you before you can react.
"Who gets to go first? How about... me
- The Matrix: Path of Neo has a few, a notable villainous one:
'Agent: Crush him!
- Colonel Longhena in DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu: "Finally, it is time for you to die. Farewell."
- Many bosses in the Wolfenstein series, most of which is Gratuitous German.
Otto Giftmacher: "Eine kleine Amerikaner!"
Gretel Grosse: "Kein durchgang!"
Trans Grosse: "Einer sprachschnitzer!"
Barnacle Wilhelm: "Ach so!"
Death Knight: "Tot ist mein leben!"
Wilhelm "Deathshead" Strasse: "You perplex me, captain. But you do not scare me." (first phase)
- Neo Contra:
Guerilla Contra: "As your reward for getting this far, I'll grant you a quick death."
Pheromone Contra: "Poor Billy. There are some things you're better off not knowing. But don't fear, I'll kill you now so you'll never have to deal with them."
Animal Contra: "Flutter about all you want! Your time is over..."
Master Contra: "But enough! The time for talk is over!" (first phase)
Master Contra: "When I'm through, not a single strand of your DNA will remain!" (second phase)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time:
The Shredder': Tonight I dine on turtle soup!
- Colonel, General, Double, Iris, and Sigma from Mega Man X4 have several pre-battle lines.
Colonel: I've been waiting to fight with you.
Colonel: I'll show you no mercy. Now get ready!
Double: I'm gonna recycle you!
Double: Ha ha ha... You're gonna get hurt, X!
Iris: Stay with me, brother...
General: My fate is sealed. I have... no choice.
General: Show me your true power.
General: It was our destiny to fight.
Sigma: Tremble with terror, you are finished!
Sigma: Are you ready for your final journey?
- Mortal Kombat 9 gave most of the playable characters a short one-liner for their arcade battle introductions. Most are short but serve to summarize the character in a sentence, such as Scorpion shouting about vengance or Shang Tsung declaring that Your Soul Is Mine. A sampling.
- Mortal Kombat X expanded the one-liners into entire brief conversations between the two kombatants, with several unique dialogues for each potential pair of opponents, including variations based on which character starts the conversation or in the event of a Mirror Match. It still qualifies for this trope, as many of the exchanges finish with a character giving a one-liner, followed by violence.
- The bosses in Einhänder, with the exception of the Schwarzgeist and Hyperion. All their taunts are in Gratuitous German.
- In Telepath Tactics, bosses tend to say one of these before their first attack. Emma gets one as well, if she attacks Tarion in the final battle:
Tarion: I should have killed you ten years ago, fleshling.
Emma: Too late for that now. I am going to strike you down, tie you to a rope, and let the slaves use your body for games of tetherball.
- In Undertale, the true final boss of the Genocide path, Sans the skeleton, who's in a far less affable mood than usual, drops one of these at the start of the fight, followed by an attack so brutal it could easily double as a Pre-Mortem One-Liner:
it's a beautiful day outside. birds are singing, flowers are blooming... on days like these, kids like you... Should be burning in hell.
- Undyne also has a few great ones before her fight as Undyne the Undying.
I, UNDYNE, will strike you down!
You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
- Star Control II has the Kohr-Ah's traditional greeting to new ships they meet:
"We are the Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah. We cleanse our destiny. You will soon die. Make whatever rituals are necessary for your species."
- Pony Island: Lucifer delivers one a third of the way through the full system dump, which shows that he's no longer playing around: "You don't want to give me your souls? Fine. I am no longer asking."
- In the middle of Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, the titular duo (or rather, just Ratchet, since "Clank" is really Klunk) witness a video recording of Evil Diva Courtney Gears turning the captured Skidd into a robot. Gears then captures them, and shows how far she has crossed the Moral Event Horizon. Ratchet declares war on her.
Don't be afraid, Ratchet. The transformation doesn't hurt... (chuckles) much
. Besides, I think you'll enjoy being a robot.
Ratchet: Let's see if you can fight better than you can sing!
- The Splatterhouse remake delivers an awesome one using the game's title.
- Everyone in Overwatch when they activate their respective ultimate ability. To witnote :
- On that note, some charactersnote have completely different lines when they use their ultimate; but most of those lines can only be heard only if that character is a friendly unit:
- Mercy has two different lines. Normally, she will say "Heroes never die!" when she uses her ultimate. If she wears the Devil or Imp skins, she will say "Heroes never die! For a price..." instead. If she wears the Sigrun or Valkyrie skins, she will say "'Til Valhalla!" instead.
- Hanzo has three different lines. Normally, he will say "Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!". If a friendly Hanzo activates his ultimate, he will say "Let the dragon consume you!" instead. However, if Hanzo wears the Lone Wolf or Okami skin, he will say "Okami yo waga teki no kurae!" instead; while a friendly Hanzo wearing those skins will say "The wolf hunts for its prey!" instead.
- Zenyatta only had one different line, but he have a unique case. In his case, the different line comes when he's an enemy unit, in which he says "Pass... into the Iris..." instead.
- Apart from Hanzo, Mercy, and Zenyatta's unique case; the rest who had different lines only had one other lines per ultimate ability:
Ana: Nano-Boost administered!
D.Va: Activating self-destruct sequence!
Genji: The dragon becomes me!
Junkrat: Ladies and gentleman, start your engines!
Lucio: Let's drop the beat!
McCree: Well now, step right up...
Pharah: Rocket barrage incoming!
Reaper: Clearing the area...
Soldier: 76: Tactical Visor activated!
- The bosses of Video Game/Vampire Night have at least one.
Bathe'lemy (human form): Draw your guns! Don't disappoint me!
Bathe'lemy (true form): Be prepared, because I've no mercy for you! This sword will mark your graves!
Guillaume: You stupid humans! I'll show you how incompetent you are!
Raoul (human form): Enough! You humans disgust me! Now it's your turn to suffer!
Raoul (true form): Humans! Heal my soul!
Diane: But I can't stop here! The warmth Sir Vampire has given me...I can't turn back now!
Auguste (true form): The end to all!
Auguste (final form): I shall not be defeated...I am immortal...I am the Vampire!