open/close all folders
"To look into the abyss is to know that the abyss looks into you."
The main character of Lux Pain
. His family was killed by Silent. When brought back to life by surviving the operation to gain Lux Pain, he swore to have his revenge.
- Alone with the Psycho: On two major occasions in the game. He survives both.
- Aloof Older Brother: Toward Natsuki and Nami.
- Artifact of Doom: Apparently, the ring on his finger, Gawain, is said to kill the person it deems unworthy. It has killed many people in the past, but eventually chose Atsuki as its wearer.
- The Atoner: Atsuki thinks that the only reason he's alive is to get revenge on Silent and that he must atone for living. No matter what people tell him otherwise, he doesn't listen.
- Aura Vision: It allows him to see the Shinen inside people.
- Badass: No matter what the situation, he can remain calm. That includes dealing with a serial killer.
- Badass Bookworm: According to Ryo, he's really knowledgeable about certain topics, which allows him to assess certain situations better.
- Berserk Button: DO NOT CALL HIM A HYPOCRITE! You're going to regret it...
- Big Eater: You know how many places he stops by to eat in one chapter? He must have a big appetite to eat three times in one episode rapid fire.
- Bishounen: Described in the game as having beautiful hair and a feminine face.
- Broken Bird: He's already broken when the game begins and has already hid his sorrow under a stoic front, in order to complete his missions without fail. But then comes Kisaragi...
- But Not Too Foreign: The game implies that he's from Europe but has a Japanese-sounding name.
- But Now I Must Go: In the good ending.
- Celibate Hero: Because of his personality, he doesn't want to deal with anyone around him. This is very noticeable in his interactions with Natsuki, where he is shown to be outright annoyed whenever Natsuki keeps insisting the two will be married. This comes up in a lot of his dialogue choices about romance in general.
- Character Development: At the beginning of the game, Atsuki thinks only his mission is important. However, as the game goes on, people at FORT comment on how his morale changes. Everyone around him also state that he has gotten better at expressing his emotions.
- Chick Magnet: He's got many of the girls in the game (minus Nola and Aya) swooning for him. Yayoi even asks him in her dating game how many people confessed their love to him. You can admit that he is a chick magnet or deny that there are any girls proclaiming their love to him.
- The Comically Serious: You can only infer that he isn't laughing. However, in archive 1, you've got to wonder if he is...
- Dark and Troubled Past: Fits this trope to a T.
- Deadpan Snarker: The journal he has concerning everyone's character profiles has him come off as one.
- Defrosting Ice King
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Girl!: While Sigma is what brings people back to their senses, Atsuki clearly does this to Rui if you choose the right dialogue option shortly after Mako's death.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend/She Is Not My Girlfriend: From his expression dialogue, he obviously denies having anything to due with Natsuki due to her age. However, the game applies that he reacts the same way if asked if he likes someone of the same gender.
- The Hero: Even if he is the quiet one, everyone generally listens to his advice.
- Hollywood Atheist
- Hypocritical Humor: He constantly mentions that Mika needs to stop eating so much and makes fun of her when she's in the hospital because he makes the assumption that she's only there for the free food. However, given how Atsuki eats multiple times in one episode and judging by Akira's comment in his dating game wondering how much Atsuki's belly can hold, you can figure out where the hypocrisy comes in.
- In-Series Nickname: ''Tardy King'' given to him by Akira.
- Interrupted Suicide: Atsuki will always stop the suicide in time. Murder, on the other hand, is a different story...
- It's Personal: His main motivation for revenge against Silent.
- It's Up to You: Pretty much always, until episode 20 when the other FORT members actually do something. In that episode, he's focused on making sure his friends aren't dead and saving Nami from Graham.
- Jerkass: Some of his dialogue options are flat out mean, especially during the dating archives. The best known one is if you tell Mika that she should stop pursuing her dreams. She literally runs off crying if you do.
- Ironically, being a jerk to Shinji is the only way for him to realize how much of a kid he is.
- Jumped at the Call: Not by choice.
- Late for School: As the game goes on, Atsuki is known for being late; hence, Akira dubs him the "Tardy King".
- Laughing Mad: When Edward insults him by calling him a hypocrite, let's just say his response is... creepy...
- Launcher of a Thousand Ships: In-universe example. He has been paired up with Rui (by Mika and Honoka), Mika (by Razzly), Yayoi (by Takano), Natsuki, Akira (by Suzu, Inagaki, Nami and Akira's dad), and Hibiki (by Suzu).
- Magnetic Hero
- Memetic Sex God: An in-universe example as a joke - especially when you have all those archive scenes.
- Mistaken for Murderer: In the normal ending route, Akira thought that Atsuki was a serial killer walking down the street and decided to tackle him to the ground. Hilarity ensues as well as something else.
- New Transfer Student
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: In the normal ending in which he fails to save Hibiki from his fate. This causes a lot of things to not happen: for example, Mika is never found, Shinji never wakes up from his coma, Nami goes missing (according to Yayoi), Ryo is in a Heroic BSOD because of Hibiki's death, and Aya and Rei clearly tell you that even though they caught Edward, the true villain cannot be captured because you didn't save Hibiki. Why is that? Because apparently, Hibiki had important info concerning Graham. (It turns out he doesn't, but catching Edward when Hibiki is alive gets Graham out of his hiding place.) Also if you decide to Take a Third Option and save Yumiko but fail to save Hibiki, you can still move onto the good ending. However, you realize that because Honoka isn't at the hospital (she's been killed) and Ryo is at the bookstore (he locked everyone out during the witch hunt), the body count in the hospital is much higher than it is in the good ending in which Hibiki is alive because he was able to stop the Silent infectee from harming the patients. Way to go, Atsuki.
- Not So Different: From Hibiki, but Atsuki seems to refuse to believe that. Given their backstory, however, it's very easy to see how they're similar.
- Not So Stoic: He has his comical moments of loosening up, like when Ryo piled all of those books on him or archive one where you can infer that he was enjoying the party like everyone else was. Then there are those moments...see Laughing Mad. In the normal ending route, Atsuki does not take Akira tackling him to the ground that well; the game implies that he practically demands for Akira to make it up to him.
- Only Sane Man: When he's with the group.
- Parental Abandonment
- Perpetual Frowner: His default expression. When he does smile, it comes off as more of a smirk.
- Plot-Induced Stupidity: This almost causes Mika's death in the game and, depending on your choices, can kill Hibiki. With Mika; she gets a phone call from someone and she rushes off to meet the person. When Atsuki reads her Sigma, don't you think he could have dug deeper into her mind to find out who was calling her? This causes her to get captured by Lt. Tanaka, who seriously injures Akira when he tries to save her. When you know that the serial killer targets Mika, a smart person would know NOT to leave her alone. Not only does Atsuki leave her alone, he LEAVES his designated spot to go stop Silent infectees that weren't really dangerous compared to the one in the serial killer. With Hibiki, he knows that that he is not evil, yet he lets FORT try to eliminate him. As a one-day friend, you think Atsuki would help him out. He doesn't, and that results in Liu Yee being critically injured and Hibiki in the hospital.
- Psychic Block Defense: What he uses to prevent Hibiki from reading his mind and Edward from controlling it.
- The Quiet One
- Random Power Ranking: How does FORT do it?
- Shipper on Deck: Depending on how you respond to Suzu in the last episode, Atsuki might support Ryo/Hibiki (or at the very least, not want to protest enough to disturb the clearly-unbalanced shipper).
- Ship Tease: With everybody, but mostly Akira, Rui, and Yayoi.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: He does this to Edward before the boss battle.
- Spell My Name With A U: Saijo or Saijou.
- The Stoic: Characters describe him as being rather emotionless to many situations, so when he shows other expressions like anger or sorrow, the group will notice.
- Straight Man: To everyone.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: His right eye, though he covers it with a black contact lens so that it's only visible when he's using Sigma.
- Sweet Tooth: It's hinted to be one because he goes to Sweet Ring so much. Certain dialogue options also implies that he goes there just to get free cake.
- Technically a Smile: There are only three instances in the game where he "smiles". The first is when he is fighting with Mika over the strawberry shortcake. The second one is forced on him by Akira in archive 1. The third one, which is the most disturbing of them all, is Atsuki losing it when Edward calls him a hypocrite. Not only does he smile, but he laughs similar to Light...
- Teen Genius: One of the smarter students apparently.
- The Unsmile: Mika comments on this and in archive 1, Akira decides to change that for the group photo.
- Warrior Therapist: This is how Atsuki is able to change everyone in the game.
- What Beautiful Eyes: Everyone EXCEPT Akira comments on Atsuki's eyes.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: You want to start over with your life? Well, you got friends that love you and a potential love interest. Oh wait! You got to leave Kisaragi for your mission! Sucks to be you!
The youngest member of FORT, being thirteen years old. Has the power to track Shinen and is madly in love with Atsuki.
An expert hacker of FORT and Atsuki's main support in the game.
Atsuki's partner. He has different views from Atsuki's methods and won't hesitate to sacrifice one person to save many.
- All There in the Manual: Apparently, the reason why Liu Yee is so harsh on Atsuki is because his previous partner was killed in a mission and Nola sent Atsuki to replace him instantly. Apparently, he's still bitter about how FORT was so fast with assigning him a new partner, giving him almost no time to grieve.
- Aloof Big Brother: To Atsuki, though some interpret it as Ho Yay.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy
- Break the Haughty: After getting ambushed during his battle with Hibiki.
- Deadpan Snarker: Out of everyone in this game, he would win.
- Jerkass: To Natsuki and Hibiki.
- The Lancer
- Psychic Block Defense
- Smug Smiler: One of his sprites has him smiling rather arrogantly. He usually smiles this way to Natsuki or Hibiki when he's trolling them.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- The Only One Allowed to Kill You: He forces Atsuki out of the way to finish off Edward for revenge (and to prevent Atsuki from actually killing someone, which is generally a Sweeper's job).
- Troll: To Natsuki and Hibiki, but goes to the extreme concerning the latter of the two. Forcing Hibiki to beg so he could help the people in the hospital during the witch hunt and then telling him that he was going to help whether Hibiki begged or not, just to piss him off.
"I need a vacation..."
One of FORT's undercover members. She takes the role of the police chief midway through the game in order to transport Lt. Tanaka
back to FORT.
The leader of PICUS. He is very strict and serious with newcomers. He's the guy who tends to push Aya in the right direction and has a huge crush on her.
The practical leader of FORT.
- All There in the Manual: Apparently, one of his reasons for saving Atsuki was because Atsuki was the only one who could use Gawain, the ring that Atsuki wears on his finger, to use Sigma. He had experimented on other people in the past to see if they could use Gawain and when that failed, he would just just remove it.
- Batman Gambit: With Graham. It all depended on Atsuki. Nola calls him out on this, saying that Atsuki could have died if this failed.
- The Comically Serious
- Good Plan: He PLANNED the downfall of PHALANX the minute he quit 10 years pre-series. Since this affects the foundation of the main narrative and drives a good portion of it, it can be considered a heroic counterpart.
- Mission Control: At the end of the game.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: For FORT.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives this to Atsuki whenever you get a game over. It makes you feel like crap...
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Did this when he quit PHALANX upon disagreeing with their plan for handling Silent.
- The Spock: Can come off as one. Especially when he decided to order FORT to kill Hibiki.
The martial artist of the school. He has a lot of teen angst from his mother's death and almost getting killed by a serial killer
that results in him closing his heart to everyone. Only after Atsuki befriends him does he go through extreme Character Development
and become one of the main characters that support Atsuki.
- And I Must Scream: Similar to Sayuri, he's very aware of losing his mind the second time. It gets to the point that he decides to isolate himself from his friends to avoid hurting them. When he confronts Atsuki about it, he almost loses it. Thankfully, Atsuki manages to snap him out of it.
- Berserk Button: Do not insult Atsuki or hurt any of his closest friends.
- Big Damn Heroes: Tries to do this on multiple occasions. More often than not, it fails. However, his most memorable one is saving Mika from the serial killer last year.
- Big Man on Campus: It's hinted that he's one of the most popular guys in the school despite his grades. For one thing, he's always standing up for people who can't protect themselves and whenever he gets into a fight, everyone always looks toward him. Sayuri even calls him out and accuses him of being a jerk jock. He snaps because Atsuki happens to be there when Sayuri tells him this.
- Book Dumb
- Calling the Old Man Out: Subverted. Akira is this close to calling him out, but because Atsuki interferes with removing his Silent and calming him down, Akira decides against it and leaves the restaurant, ashamed of himself.
- Character Development: Went from an insecure thug with daddy problems to an insanely calm man who is willing to move forward in life.
- Cool Loser: Sees himself as this, but Sayuri states he's actually the Big Man on Campus.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Delinquent: His father considers him this.
- Determinator: He was willing to go to extreme lengths to save Mika, and when one of his friends is either in danger or insulted, he will stop at nothing to put that person in his or her place.
- Designated Victim: Of Silent.
- Distress Ball: A rare male example. He gets himself caught in situations that could very well kill him. If not for Atsuki, he could have died all of those times, and counting Silent, that's a total of three times that Atsuki has to save him from getting killed. However, the two other times he gets into dangerous situations are during "last year's incident" and the Kisaragi Shooting when Atsuki couldn't get into the school to stop Yamato. Hibiki had to do it.
- Dumb Is Good
- Failure Knight: Thinks of himself as this despite protecting Mika from the serial killer last year.
- Guy With No Respect: No one in the group treats him right, except Atsuki.
- Heroic Bystander
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Feels useless if he can't protect his friends, even if he did a good job at doing it.
- Hidden Depths: Seems like your typical shounen hero type of guy until you dig into his psychological problems.
- Honor Before Reason: For better and worse.
- Idiot Hero: A deconstruction of this trope. Whenever he tries to do something, the situation almost always gets worse for Atsuki. The main example is Akira going to face the Serial Killer Lt. Tanaka directly and almost getting killed as a result.
- Instant Waking Skills: Mentioning a pop quiz will get him to wake up in class instantly to complain.
- Iron Buttmonkey: He gets his ass handed to him by Lt. Tanaka and gets to leave the hospital the next night. He gets shot in the shoulder by Yamato and gets out the day after with MINOR WOUNDS when the screenshot shows that he WAS indeed hit. And Silent infects him twice and instead of having a breakdown like many of the Silent infectees get when it is removed, he acts the same as usual...
- And then when he mentions that Rui and Mika kicked his butt sending him to the hospital multiple times during childhood. Archive 1 proves that Akira has more tolerance to getting owned by Rui than everyone else. Poor guy...
- Knight in Shining Armor: What people refer him as and it pisses him off.
- The Lancer: To Atsuki somewhat.
- Missing Mom
- Mistaken for Gay: During archive 1, Rui gives a subtle hint that she doesn't trust what Akira said, hence Akira trying to defend himself without using that word. Doesn't end well...
- Mood-Swinger: At the beginning, he'll be fine one moment and then angry the next. It gets better after the first Silent is removed.
- Oblivious to Love: Until someone brings it up to him directly.
- Oedipus Complex: Heavily implied since when reading his mind about his mother, he has a warm feeling...
- Parental Abandonment: His mother is dead and his father treats him like crap. However, his relationship with his dad gets better thanks to Atsuki.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Mika. He worries about her less and less due to a certain someone.
- Real Men Are Waitresses: Akira almost got himself into this situation when he mixed up waiter with waitress.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: He doesn't like the idea of being shipping him with Mika who he sees as a sister.
- Shonen Hair
- Supreme Chef: Along with Yayoi.
- That Came Out Wrong: On multiple occasions to the point where you wonder if he's doing this on purpose.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: Pulls this one on Sayuri (of all people) when she insulted him.
"Bring it, bitch!"
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: He strives to live up to his father's expectations and it never goes well. They eventually reconcile at the end of episode 4.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
The school’s reporter. She knows everything about everyone and is always informed about the latest scoop. She is a childhood friend of Akira, Ryo, and Rui.
- Big Eater: Atsuki wonders if she gets injured so she can get free food in the hospital.
- Book Dumb: Or really retarded.
- Break the Cutie: Basically, she was targeted by last year's killer but unlike Akira, she wasn't traumatized at the fact that she could have been killed. Said killer goes after her again this year, constantly stalking her (when Atsuki reads the R. Shinen of the killer), and then someone else pretending to be the killer tries to murder her. If it weren't for Mako Taking the Bullet for her, Mika would have been said victim. This event, however, traumatizes her to the point where her Genki Girl persona disappears completely and she literally breaks down during those two episodes. However, her resolve to find the killer perked her up. Of course, shortly after, the serial killer goes after her AGAIN and would have succeeded if Akira and Nami didn't save her — though it is technically Atsuki's fault for letting her leave her designated spot. You would think this is the end of her torture, but the Big Bad has other plans for her. When Mika decides to find Rui's 'lover', she gets herself kidnapped by Graham and goes missing. Only if you get past the normal ending does she return, infected by Silent sent to capture her best friend. When it's removed, she goes back to her normal self.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Cute Bruiser: Toward Kagami in her archive 'date'.
- Designated Victim: She was targeted in last year’s incident and survived thanks to Akira. She is targeted again by the same killer multiple times in-game and results in Mako’s death.
- Distressed Damsel: She is often targeted by the serial killer multiple times, to the point where it's obvious that the killer is doing this on purpose. Also, Graham targets her so she can capture Rui and bring her to him.
- Doting Parent: Judging from episode 18 and 19, Akira describes her parents as loving and worrying about Mika a lot.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: One of her scenes in the archive is her thinking about Kyosuke and delivering a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown on him after she wished him to be careful since there were a lot of people getting killed and she didn't want him on the list and he rejected her advice and called her an idiot.
- Dumb Is Good
- Genki Girl
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: She reacts strongly to Razzly teasing her about Atsuki, but it doesn't stick. Mention Kyosuke, though, and she'll flip.
- Hot Scoop/Intrepid Reporter/Going for the Big Scoop: Yes, Mika can handle herself in hazardous situations, but she just attracts the more dangerous suspects that she's trying to bring to justice. Of course, she knows that this job was dangerous and she knew what she was doing when she became a reporter. Doesn't stop her from needing to be saved by Atsuki or Akira.
- It's All My Fault: She feels like it's her fault that Akira is distant originally and when she brings it up, Akira snaps at all. She thinks it's her fault again for Mako's death and no one can change her mind, so she decides to get the killer in prison instead.
- Jerkass: Toward Shinji and Kagami.
- Knowledge Broker: To a certain extent, but then it reveals that she gets the information from Shinji and flaunts it around like she's the one that got the information.
- Late for School: Only in episode 1. Every other time, she tends to skip.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Akira, because at the end of the game, she's hanging out with Shinji.
- Plucky Girl: Her defining feature. It's to the point that Atsuki says that Silent can't affect her because she's so determined to get over all the negative emotions in her heart.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With Shinji.
- School Newspaper Newshound: As Rui puts it, "She knows everything about everyone."
- Shipper on Deck: She is probably the biggest shipper of the group. She firmly supports Atsuki/Rui or any guy that she believes can be with Rui. She also ships Kenichi/Inagaki, to Akira's horror.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: With Kyosuke.
- Ship Tease: With Shinji and Kagami.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: She's the only female character of the group to be constantly abused by Rui. And it's funny.
- Sweet Tooth: Obviously.
- Yaoi Fangirl: She supports Akira’s dad with Inagaki, much to Akira’s horror.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
The school's fortune teller. She is known for being 100 percent accurate in her readings. She is the younger sister of Yui Yamase. She is also considered the toughest girl in the school.
- Badass: She's described as one of the stronger characters in the entire school. However...
- Badass in Distress: She always ends up in terrible situations and doesn't have the chance to show her strength. To be fair, the first time a gun is pointed at her, the second time a thug comes into her store and tries to kidnap her right there, and the final time the whole city is in chaos when they try to find her and try her as a witch. Naturally, she is saved the first time, and she manages to get out the second time to warn Atsuki and hide in a place where no one dares to look until the chaos passes.
- Boobs of Steel
- Break the Cutie: It begins when she keeps seeing her customers killing herself or someone else in her fortune teller. It gets to the point where she thinks she loses her powers because her readings are inaccurate. When Mako is stabbed protecting Mika and dies in the hospital two days later, she thinks it's her fault for not giving that person her person to prevent the tragedy. Said tragedy makes her sister change drastically to the point where Yui asks her if she'll find the killer. This foreshadows the bad ending of her killing Lt. Tanaka amongst other people in the police station. Since Rui is known for her accuracy in her predictions, she breaks down at the mention of her father (amongst all the drama going on with Yui). Thankfully, it's not Atsuki that gets her out of her depressed state. It's Yayoi who snaps her out of it.
- Character Development: Not as much as other characters, but she does become more understanding.
- Cry Cute
- Cute Bruiser
- Dark-Skinned Blonde
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: In her archive scene, it's revealed that Rui doesn't know what to do with life once she finishes high school. She knows that Mika will continue to be the world's best reporter, but she has no idea what she's good at except fortune telling, which she definitely doesn't want to do for the rest of her life given how depressing many of her fortunes are. She considers flower arrangement or a baker, but given her personality, it's very easy to laugh at. Not a good idea for Atsuki to do, though.
- Disappeared Dad
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: She will constantly beat up, harass, and sometimes humiliate the guys of the group if they say something insulting to her (as shown in archive 1). Mika is not immune to her abuse either, but fortunately, Atsuki is.
- Foreshadowing: Her powers allow her to see events that will happen later in the game. One of the most noticeable examples is when she tells Atsuki and Akira that she visioned her older sister killing someone. Akira doesn't think that's going to happen. If you get the bad ending, Yui does kill the serial killer as well as many people in the police station in a fit of rage.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Rui loves them so much that she can tell if someone doesn't like them. This is most noticeable when Rui could obviously tell that the present that Atsuki gave her was bought from Mika. This is because "Saijo isn't the type of person to get her something like this." Ironically, it's this love that allows her to remember Atsuki and restore the memory of him to her friends.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: She isn't pleased when people tease her about liking Atsuki and flat out denies anything between them.
- Heroic BSOD: Multiple times, and she recovers because of Atsuki and Yayoi at different times.
- Late for School: She, like Atsuki, is late often, and unlike Atsuki, she has to sprint to school.
- Meganekko: She doesn't need these glasses, though, as she can see just fine. They are just for fashion.
- Ojou Ringlets
- Oracular Urchin
- Parental Abandonment: Her father was killed in the line of duty and her mother is rather sickly. It's also to be noted that her relationship with her sister isn't as good as it should be.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: While both are loud when they're angry, Rui is prone to be the sympathetic one (due to her powers) of the two while Yui is apathetic.
- Seer: Her main power.
- Shipper on Deck: Supports Akira/Mika, Shinji/Yayoi, Ryo/Sayuri, and herself with Atsuki.
- Ship Tease: With Atsuki.
- The Big Girl: Despite being the same height as Shinji.
- Tsundere: Type A to practically everyone. Type B to Atsuki and Yayoi.
The school's main artist. She is known for being able to draw anything by a simple description. She is the older sister of Nami Kamishiro.
- Aborted Declaration Of Love: Double subverted in Yayoi's dating game, she is the only character to actually confess her feelings to Atsuki. However, she quickly takes it back and leaves the area soon after embarrassed that it slipped.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Does this to Rui to snap her out of her Heroic BSOD before talking her out of it.
- Beware the Nice Ones: And how.
- Break the Cutie: It's mainly due to Silent, but being jealous of her little sister causes her to shun herself from everyone. She was thinking of committing a group suicide with a bunch of students...but they killed themselves without her and she panicked. After Atsuki finds her, she's talking to herself about how she's all alone. And when she thinks about killing herself, you can INFER that she had a knife somewhere to kill herself. Once Silent is removed, she has the biggest character development that helps Rui out of her jam.
- Cain and Abel: This almost causes her death.
- Character Development: She has the biggest character development out of all the characters. Starting as a quiet, seemly perfect girl, after confessing her suicidal tendencies, she decides to change herself. She becomes assertive to the point of being unrecognizable from the beginning of the game where she usually kept it to herself.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Where to begin?
- When your friends start yelling and you mention monkeys (and wanting a pet monkey in the process)...you know something is wrong. In the same archive 1 scene, when Rui beats up on all the guys except Atsuki, she mentions how everything is like whack-a-mole and that she would join if she didn't forget her hammer...
- If that wasn't bad enough, in game, when Rui calls Atsuki "Tardy King" (nickname came from Akira because he noticed that Atsuki is always late for class), she decides to downgrade Atsuki's 'rank' to Private Tardy... ouch...
- Comically Missing the Point: Multiple times.
- Fiery Redhead: Subverted. Her sister is this while she is rather quiet.
- Happily Adopted: Subverted at first when Atsuki first finds out that her real parents were dead and the parents she has now are not her real ones. She seems to resent that because of Silent. Then double subverted after you remove Silent.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Girl!: To Rui in episode 12.
- Interrupted Suicide: By Atsuki.
- Meido: Hinted that she was dressed up as this during the Cultural Festival last year.
- My God, What Have I Done?: When she comes to her senses and realizes that she almost killed herself and almost left Nami alone in the world.
- Nice Girl
- Parental Abandonment: Her real parents are dead and she and Nami are adopted. However, Yayoi feels like she isn't the loved one of the two.
- The Resenter: Toward Nami, which is the reason she tries to kill herself.
- Ship Tease: With Atsuki.
- Sibling Yin-Yang
- Supreme Chef: Her cookies basically explains why everyone fights over them.
- Team Mom: She's always there to support the group (particularly Rui and Mika) when their spirits are down and will always stand up for them.
- Took a Level in Badass: After Silent is removed, she changes her view on things and says what she believes in. An example is slapping Rui when she talked about killing herself in her Heroic BSOD and then standing up to Yamato when he threatened to shoot Rui.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Played with. Calm and quiet (because she's depressed, not because she's mature). Long and straight brown hair instead of black. She becomes assertive only after Character Development.
- You Gotta Have Red Hair
The school's 'professor', who is a fan of history. He runs the bookstore next to Atsuki's apartment Tohodo. He is best friends with Hibiki Kiryu.
- Apologizes a Lot: When he realizes he said something insulting or when he thinks he messed up, he'll be the first to apologize even if it isn't his fault.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's rarely angry, but when he is, look out!
- Brutal Honesty: Too many occasions to count, and most of them are to his friends.
- The first time you meet him, he literally calls Rui and Mika dumb.
- To Takano, he clearly states when he's talking about anything but history that he is distracted way too easily.
- To Akira, he calls him a freak when Akira is dumb enough to practice Tai-chi in front of the school.
- To Hibiki, he clearly calls him a pervert for commenting on Ai's looks.
- Chick Magnet: Compared to the other guys, Ryo seems to attract far more attention from the girls than anyone else (not counting Atsuki). This includes the two girls that constantly stand in front of his door. This might be another reason why Hibiki left.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: At times, but not taken to the extreme, like Yayoi.
- Completely Missing the Point: Not as bad as Yayoi, but damn.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Genius Ditz: While really smart, people consider him very clumsy with everything else. The most prime example is that Ryo has a tendency to lock himself out of his bookstore, leaving his keys and book bag inside.
- Gentleman and a Scholar: The only thing he's not good at is talking to people, unless it has to do with the subject of history.
- Hands-Off Parenting
- Hypocritical Humor: He calls Hibiki a chivalrous pervert for calling Ai beautiful, and that's what he does when he wants to attract the ladies. However... he has his own horde of fangirls that are attractive to him.
- Informed Ability: He doesn't look like the type, but he knows martial arts. Too bad he doesn't demonstrate it in the game at all.
- In-Series Nickname: Often called the Professor by some students because of his knowledge, but because the only people that seem to speak to him in the game are his friends, we never hear anyone actually say it.
- Late for School: Stated in episode 1, but the reason he's late is that he tends to lock himself out of Tohodo, leaving his book bag inside. He has to wait for either Ai to open the door or someone else to force it open.
- Locked Out of the Loop: From everyone until Takano is killed. It's to be noted that he's the only character not involved with any of the major events until then, since Atsuki is the main character and is involved with everything, Akira gets himself involved in almost every situation that could get him killed, Yayoi is infected with Silent, Mika is involved to uncover the truth and drags Shinji along with her (but he's also involved in hacking into FORT's data base), Rui is indirectly involved with everything until Graham targets her, and Hibiki is involved with PHALANX.
- Man In Black: In contrast to Hibiki's Man in White.
- Master of the Mixed Message: With Hibiki, to the point where you wonder if he's just oblivious or he's doing it on purpose.
- Nerds Are Sexy: There are girls that hang around his store just because they find him attractive.
- Never Got To Say Thank You: Takano dies before Ryo is able to thank him for showing him the wonders of learning as a child. Ryo takes it pretty hard.
- Nice Guy: Most of the time.
- Only Friend: To Hibiki, which crosses over into Living Emotional Crutch territory.
- Parental Abandonment: His grandfather died, and the minute that happened, his parents kicked him out because Ryo chose to inherit Tohodo. Hibiki mentions that Ryo changed because of this.
- Real Men Love Cute Animals/Boys Love Stuffed Pandas: Ryo is quite fascinated with pandas. Atsuki can comment on how feminine that is.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Boy and Girl: With Ai and Hibiki in some cases.
- Selective Obliviousness: He does not seem to notice that Hibiki has a crush on him and doesn't seem to understand why he's upset when he called him a pervert for commenting on Ai's looks.
- Ship Tease: Gets a lot of it with Hibiki.
- Shrinking Violet: He talks a lot to his friends but is rather shy when handling strangers.
- Stoic Spectacles
- Strong Family Resemblance: According to Inagaki, he looks very much like his grandfather before he passed away.
- Team Dad: He's always giving the moral support of the group when Yayoi fails to do so. Very evident whenever someone ends up in the hospital as well as when the group start fighting amongst each other.
- Teen Genius
- Viewers Are Geniuses: He tends to rant about real life authors and real life mythological tales with surprising accuracy.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Hibiki.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
The school's hacker and main troublemaker. He is known for having one of the highest grades in the school, but this allows him to get away with trauncy, hacking, and berating of the teachers.
- Beware the Nice Ones: While he's far from nice, if you pay attention to his overall expression when he's first introduced, it's very creepy.
- Child Prodigy: In terms of hacking.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: See The Internet Is for Porn.
- Deadpan Snarker: He's the most sarcastic one of the group. Taken to the extreme when someone is in the hospital.
- Disney Death: In the good ending, he wakes up after episode 19. Otherwise, get the normal ending, and this does not apply.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: Subverted. Aoi thinks that Shinji has no idea what he's going to do after high school. Shinji considers being a surgeon, but gave up the idea after the thought of accidentally killing someone if something were to go wrong. Given what he's good at, it's safe to say what he plans to do in the future.
- Hands-Off Parenting
- He-Man Woman Hater: A very minor case. According to Atsuki, Shinji is always complaining about women in general and how they're annoying. Given the girls he hangs out with, it's no wonder he thinks this. He never says it out loud, though. In fact, he only complains about Mika to Atsuki in his dating game, and since it's Mika that makes him have this view point of women, it's very justified.
- Hikikomori: A more minor example. When he's not at school or hanging out at the internet cafe, he shuts himself up in his room... and this is more times than not, since he's usually skipping.
- Idiot Hair: Atsuki himself says he has "really stupid hair" in one of his reports.
- Ill Boy: Atsuki states that he has a bad stomach. As a result, he doesn't do well in sports and gets beaten up easily during martial arts practices with Akira.
- Informed Ability: Akira clearly stated that Shinji does know martial arts, but compared to everyone else, he's pretty bad because of his height.
- Insufferable Genius
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Yuzi and Naoto
- The Internet Is for Porn: Literally. This is his punishment for trying to hack into FORT's database. Let's just say he's not impressed. The girls, on the other hand...
- Jerkass Façade: Really goes over the top to be a jerk, but his friends can see through his facade (most of the time).
- Kubrick Stare: He has a rather nasty one in those rare creepy moments. You'll know when you can't see his pupils.
- Nerds Are Sexy
- The Napoleon
- Older Than They Look: He looks to be 13, but he's certainly 17.
- Parental Neglect: His parents are rarely home. When they are home, they seem to ignore him. When Aoi tried to talk to them about Shinji skipping school, their response was "Let him do what he wants." It doesn't help that he tends to have no food in the house.
- When Shinji's mind was crushed, he was in a coma. During this time, his parents DID NOT come back to see him. Shinji states that his friends (Atsuki, Akira, Ryo, Rui, Mika, and Yayoi) saved him. Aya comments, though, that ONLY parents tend to be the reason why someone is saved from their mind being ruined.
- Playful Hacker
- Save Scumming: Defied in series. Shinji's quote is that life isn't like a video game, so you can't start an operation over if you accidentally killed them. This causes him to fear hospitals as a result.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With Mika.
- Shorter Means Smarter
- The Smart Kid
- Social Services Does Not Exist: Subverted and played straight. People are aware that Shinji's parents don't pay any attention to him and Aoi even goes out of her way to talk to them. They kick her out of their house and tells her that Shinji can "Do whatever he wants." However, Shinji doesn't change that is suppose to show that he does want something to be different, but simply can't speak up about it because he feels that no one cares, hence his distrust toward adults.
- Spanner in the Works: Takano's murder would have been easily covered up and FORT wouldn't be able to find out who killed him if Shinji didn't hack into their system and find additional info about AMS Bank that even FORT didn't know about. This almost gets him killed, but this just proves what a deadly hacker he is to put two and two together.
- Stepford Snarker
- Teen Genius: School in general is considered a piece of cake.
- Tsundere: He's type A toward everyone and prefers the taunting method. However, only with Atsuki does he go deredere a little.
- Unknown Rival: To both Hibiki and Nola. The former in school due to being better at him in math and computers and the latter for her hacking skills.
- Why Did it Have to Be Hospitals?: He's scared because he wanted to be a surgeon, but then he thought about the consequences of failing an operation and how you can't restart a person's life.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair
The school's math whiz who has similar powers to Atsuki. He left Kisaragi a year prior to study aboard and came back recently. His caretaker is the School Nurse
- The Ace: Described as an intelligent student that is better with math and computers than Shinji, which would make him the smartest student in the school. But...
- Always Someone Better: To Shinji.
- Anime Hair: So very much.
- Anti-Hero/Anti-Villain: In-series example; he would be considered an Anti-Villain, but to the player, it's obvious that he's an Anti-Hero.
- Badass: This is the guy that is able to fight one on one with Liu Yee, who is one of the most powerful members of FORT.
- Break the Cutie: Before he was even introduced, he was technically broken when you get some pieces of information from his past (parents dying in a car accident, being emotionally unstable, and isolated from his peers. Then when he gets back to Japan, he tries to play hero and help people out... and then FORT targets him because he murdered Yamato and is considered too dangerous. Things go down from there when Liu Yee almost kills him. He then falls into a coma, and depending on the route...
- Kill the Cutie: In the normal ending, he's dead if you don't stop Honoka. Otherwise, he gets better.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin' : He kills Yamato for the sake of saving Rui and everyone in the cafeteria. He ends up getting targeted by FORT and almost killed as a result, and depending on the ending, he may or may not be killed by Honoka.
- The Chew Toy: His life in this game is terrible.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Subverted. Ryo thinks he is this when Hibiki comments on how cute the new manager of Tohodo, Ai Handa, is. Hibiki, however, says this with a depressed look.
- Deadpan Snarker: Toward Ryo, mainly just to annoy the heck out of him.
- Defusing the Tyke Bomb: Defied in the series. Atsuki's chance to actually help him out is denied because FORT thinks the best way to handle Hibiki is to kill him. As a result, Liu Yee gets injured and they almost lose the true culprit of SILENT. Lampshaded in the normal ending where Ray says that if Hibiki didn't die, then they would have had gotten their target.
- Despair Event Horizon: Hinted to have almost crossed it in his backstory until Honoka and Ryo pulled him out of it.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Shinji's quote about him pretty much sums it up. "I admit he's handsome but that's it."
- Everyone Can See It: Some characters think Hibiki has a crush on Ryo, ranging from Suzu cheering for them to other characters questioning their relationship. Even Atsuki seems dubious at one point according to the profile he keeps of each character. Then again, he eventually falls into the role as Suzu.
- Fearless Fool: He has shades of this, especially when Yamato takes the school hostage and the first thing he does is run into the school to save everyone. The rescue mission is successful, but the aftermath isn't.
- Good with Numbers
- Heel-Face Turn: Switches to Atsuki's side if he's saved. However, even if he switches sides, FORT doesn't care, but decides to leave him alone since he loses his powers.
- Horrible Judge of Character: When it comes to Edward, he's pretty dumb.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: It's hinted as a major problem in middle school. What Shinji tells you about Hibiki beside his looks also hints at it.
- Killed Off for Real: In the normal ending.
- Like Brother and Sister: Thinks of Honoka as this or as a motherly figure.
- Man in White: In contrast to Ryo's Man In Black.
- Mad Mathematician: "I love math. It's beautiful in its simplicity."
- Parental Abandonment: His parents died in a car accident. This causes him to become emotionally unstable until Honoka came along to take him under her wing.
- Not Good with People: Type II.
- Not So Different: From Atsuki. Hibiki is basically what happens when you don't have the right support in life and have different motives for power.
- Pure Is Not Good: Ryo describes him as a pure individual. However, that seems to be far from the case.
- Sanity Slippage: Implied after he kills Yamato, but snaps out of it rather quickly.
- The Sixth Ranger
- Stalker with a Crush: Played for laughs when it concerns Atsuki. Just how did he manage to get Atsuki's number if a.) Atsuki NEVER gave him the number and b.) Ryo doesn't have a cellphone?
- Stepford Smiler: An obvious type A with a hinted type B and C, but type C is later subverted and justified.
- Stepford Snarker
- Teen Genius: When it comes to math.
- Telepathy: Not as strong as Atsuki's, but still strong enough to kill someone.
- Tyke Bomb
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: In a sense toward Ryo.
- Unwitting Pawn: Edward uses him to further his plans.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: All he wanted was to save Rui. This almost ends badly on his part.
- Wimpification: Hit the most by this, but justified as his state of mind is very fragile.
- You Gotta Have Cyan Hair
A quiet student that is often bullied by other students. He resents the smart and confident students and tends to write bad things in a notebook about them hoping something bad will happen to them.
A quiet girl that is known for reading and hanging out at Pumpkin Witch. She is an early target of the serial killer but manages to escape. However, that fateful encounter changes her personality with each episode...
The school's nurse who gives moral support to all of her students. She is one of the most loved teachers due to her looks and her personality and also the youngest. She once worked in the hospital but quit due to a certain incident. She helped console Hibiki Kiryu into enjoying school again and literally adopted him.
- Alliterative Name
- Broken Bird: Is already implied to be broken when the series begins, but hides it very well behind her smile. However, once Hibiki falls into a coma, she starts losing it...
- Cool Big Sis
- Curtains Match the Window
- Cynicism Catalyst: She had a patient who was like a little sister to her. Her patient only had four months to live and Honoka kept telling her lies that everything would be okay. Before she died, though, she told Honoka to stop forcing herself to smile. Honoka's quote after that thought was, "Honestly, what was the point in all of that?!"
- Freak Out: The thought of Hibiki not waking up causes this if you don't remove her Silent.
- Genki Girl: At first glance...
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Says on her profile that she loves to get drunk.
- Hidden Depths: The happy go lucky nurse is actually downright hateful toward patients that she fears will never wake up. No matter what she does, her students that she tries to counsel always do something stupid.
- Hospital Hottie
- Hot for Student: Suzu thinks she has feelings for Hibiki.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Which leads to...
- Promotion to Parent
- Psychologist Teacher: Tries to be one for her students, particularly Takuya, and fails.
- The Runaway: It says on her profile that she ran away from home once and it resulted in her having a bad relationship with her mother.
- School Nurse
- Stepford Smiler/Broken Smile: Type B for the first one. Once Silent is removed, she just snaps temporary. Then she'll calm down again.
- You Gotta Have Orange Hair
The language teacher that makes sure that everyone enjoys school to their fullest. She is strict when it comes to the rules and tries her very best for everyone to get along. She is in love with Takano (who she constantly yells at).
- Beware the Nice Ones: She looks to be the kindest teacher of the bunch, but when you push the wrong buttons, look out!
- Atsuki, Akira, Mika, Shinji, and Takano know she's very scary when she's mad.
- Christmas Cake: She's one of the older teachers at the school, and she's very interested in love, but she's in love with her job as a teacher and doesn't bother to find a boyfriend.
- Her Heart Will Go On: She admits to being in love with Takano and then decides to move on because he would hate to see her cry.
- The Immune: Does anyone notice that when Graham speaks to anybody, they get infected by Silent? Notice how when he talks to her, she is perfectly fine with no Silent infection to fight afterward.
- Love Freak: She's always thinking about students falling in love and how wonderful the experience might be. She often thinks that Atsuki and Rui are dating as a result.
- Love Hurts
- Luminescent Blush: The expression she has often.
- Moe: In universe example.
- Nice Girl: Until you piss her off.
- No Sense of Direction: She gets lost often.
- Ojou Ringlets
- Older Than They Look: She looks to be Honoka's age (24) or younger. She's one of the older teachers at the school, being 32.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Shrinking Violet: At first glance...until...
- Berserk Button: Do or say the wrong things and she will blow up on you.
- Shipper on Deck: For Atsuki/Rui.
- Stern Teacher: The only one who seems to take her job seriously because: Honoka tends to tease her students about stuff not related to school, Takano tends to skip class to focus on his OD experiment, Yamato is downright cruel and tends not to do his job correctly, Arthur is rather sickly and is not at school often, and Naoto is just a substitute teacher.
- Sweet Tooth: Which leads to...
- Tsundere: Type A toward Takano only.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Takano. They don't, but Aoi admits that she was in love with him.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Tries to be one but fails miserably.
- You Gotta Have Peach Hair
The art teacher that came to Kisaragi from Britain. Normally very shy and soft-spoken
, he is often depressed and discouraged.
He is Atsuki's target when he enters Kisaragi.
The history teacher at the school that doesn't always take his job seriously. He is often seen running around with a machine that tracks OD. He is often yelled at by Aoi and Ryo, but ignores them for the sake of his research.
The hated math teacher at the school. He treats all of his students with disrespect except Hibiki
(because he can keep up in his messed up class) and won't hesitate to call them out. He loves guns more than anything else.
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Bald of Evil
- Evil Teacher: If you couldn't tell by looking at him.
- Karmic Death: When he tries to take the school hostage, he's killed by the one student that he didn't hate in the most gruesome fashion.
- Sadist Teacher: Giving your student detention for being a second late, giving out a test when someone is either sick (or skipping in Shinji's case), and yelling at the transfer student who is trying to get used to the school... that's pretty sadistic.
- Sawed-Off Shotgun: The weapon he uses to shoot Akira.
- Trigger Happy
A freelance photographer who has been taking pictures of unique places and things. Recently, after taking pictures of war, he decided to settle down and take pictures in Kisaragi, becoming a substitute teacher in the process.
- Camera Fiend: He's not anywhere without his camera. He uses it to take pictures of the supernatural. Nami does not like this, though.
- Cool Teacher
- Cruel and Unusual Death: When they found his body, his face was ripped off.
- Expy: He comes off as a certain photographer from a certain psychological series.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Shinji, but it can be seen as Parental Substitute.
- Killed Off for Real: No one saw it coming.
- Knowledge Broker: According to Atsuki, Naoto was working for the government trying to uncover something in Kisaragi.
- Going for the Big Scoop: When he heard about the supernatural things about Kisaragi, he decided that he had to check it out. It doesn't go well when a certain Siamese Cat is involved.
- Lolicon: A lot of the students think he's a pedophile because he takes pictures of young girls.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He has everyone but Graham fooled.
- Parental Substitute: Shinji probably sees him as a parental figure since his parents ignore him. Naoto doesn't seem to mind that one bit. However, later subverted when it turns out that he was using Shinji to get information on Graham and is later killed because of it.
- Sanity Slippage: Hinted to be completely losing it before he disappears. Later on, he turns up dead.
Rui's older sister and a dedicated cop of Kisaragi. Unlike her partner Mako, she is very strict with the law and chooses the safety of the people over the opinion of a person.
- Alliterative Name
- Break the Haughty
- Christmas Cake: While outwardly saying that she doesn't want to go out with anyone (particularly boring/quiet men), when Atsuki reads her mind, it states that she and Mako were planning on getting married and talking to each other about their men.
- Defective Detective: She would have a better time solving her cases if she didn't YELL AT EVERYBODY!
- Does Not Like Men: According to Atsuki's data, he states that her attitude toward the men in the police station is that of extreme dislike. Her preference of men may be hard to define simply because she may not be interested because of someone else.
- Fair Cop
- Faux Action Girl: Similar to Aya, but with worse consequences. She's a cop, but she actually panicked when the serial killer first attacked Sayuri instead of being patient and helpful like Mako was. To make it worse, near the end of the game, she too gets captured by Silent infectees.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Mako.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: After her breakdown.
- Jerkass <-> Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Lady Drunk: She drinks more often than anyone else in the game and is rather cynical when she's not drunk.
- Lawful Stupid
- Lethal Chef: According to her profile.
- Married to the Job: Rui says that after their father died, Yui dedicated herself to being a cop to follow in her father's footsteps. However, this has caused her to be distant from their sickly mother and Rui as well.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Police Are Useless
- Shaggy Dog Story: The bad ending if the player is stupid enough to not remove her Silent.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: While both are loud when they're angry, Rui is prone to be the sympathetic one (due to her powers) of the two while Yui is apathetic.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She's the tomboy.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: After Mako's death, she becomes dead-set on finding the killer going as far as to threaten Atsuki with arrest because he's wandering around and threatening to take Mika's only opportunity to become a reporter away. This leads to...
- Driven to Suicide: Hinted that she planned to kill herself after everyone else.
- Love Makes You Crazy: She is willing to kill Lt. Tanaka to satisfy the hatred in her heart.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: To get back at Lt. Tanaka. She defied the police rules to steal a gun to do it.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Rui outright states that Yui was so determined to get the guy that killed Mako that she would resort to fortune telling, which she didn't believe in.
- Yandere: She would kill Lt. Tanaka to avenge Mako's death. In Rui's fortune and in the bad ending, she won't hesitate to kill anyone who stands in her way on her path of revenge.
- You Gotta Have Red Hair
"I'll buy you a cup of ramen one day when I'm not on duty."
Yui's partner and a cop well-known in Kisaragi. She is known for being a strong yet sweet woman that is willing to listen to anyone for info on the serial killer.
- Action Girl: Mako is the most helpful older woman on the work field. For one thing, she's always working on the serial killer, and unlike Yui, she has leads on who the killer is. Also, Mika describes in the flashback that she was able to help her and Akira with the copycat killer.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Lt. Tanaka describes her as a scary woman when she's mad. In his own words, while Yui yells at him, which is scary enough, Mako apparently kicks him and screams at him if he messes up.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: At first glance, she doesn't seem to be taking her job seriously. That's until she starts investigating last year's incident...
- Christmas Cake: She desperately wants to go out with someone and states her status as single for every person she meets. It's a shame her dream will never come true.
- Fair Cop
- Flower in Her Hair: It's a yellow sunflower.
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Yui.
- Killed Off for Real: The first person to die canonically.
- The Mentor: To Nami.
- Nice Girl
- The Paragon
- Police Are Useless: Inverted. Nami and other people go talk to her first whenever there is a problem.
- Sacrificial Lion
- Sweet Tooth
- Taking the Knife Wound: She protects Mika from the serial killer and dies two days later.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She's the more feminine one, but won't hesitate to get her hands dirty.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: In universe example. Half of the time, she's addressed as a he, especially in the chat website in the game.
- You Gotta Have Orchid Hair
An inferior officer to Yui and Mako. He is very clumsy and admires both women for their tough nature.
An eleven-year-old girl with the power to communicate with animals. She is Yayoi's cheerful younger sister and is the first person that Atsuki meets in Kisaragi. Her guardian is a big Spanish Mastiff named Melody.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Toma states she is bullied for her powers, but she seems unaffected. This seems to be untrue though, because at one point in the game, she stated that she hated humans because they treated Melody poorly.
- Berserk Button: Which leads to...
- Break the Cutie: Near the end of the game, when she started taking care of the cat Mint, it suddenly disappeared on her. You spend the entire episode 19 searching for the cat that is infected by Silent. Mint is already dead, though, so Nami ends up grieving for the poor cat... and then the witch hunt happens. She doesn't hide from the people that are after her. She stays with Melody, who goes off to find the one who caused it. This results in Graham destroying Melody's mind, literally killing off the poor dog. She goes into an unstoppable rage, but that is not enough to stop Graham and this results in her getting captured and used for his sick game, but thanks to Atsuki, she is saved before Graham could 'merge with her'.
- Bullying a Dragon: See All of the Other Reindeer. It's a miracle that Nami has been able to hold her powers back against the kids that bullied her. This explains why she's always hanging out with the high school students.
- Cain and Abel: Almost results in Yayoi's death.
- Cheerful Child
- The Cutie
- Deliberately Cute Child: A minor example. She uses her looks to get away with minor offenses and it annoys the heck out of her sister.
- Fiery Redhead
- Free-Range Children: Justified that her parents have no idea what she's doing. Her sister knows and tries to prevent this, but Nami doesn't listen.
- Happily Adopted: Compared to her sister, she's happy to have parents that took them both in. However, she is annoyed that she has the smallest room in the house.
- Hidden Depths: She seems like an ordinary cheerful girl...until you break her down psychologically.
- Humans Are Bastards: Her view on humanity as a whole. Atsuki just happens to change it.
- Just a Kid: Many of the adults she hates comment on how she won't be able to stop them because she's a kid. She deals with them by using Atsuki.
- Little Miss Badass
- Precocious Crush: On Atsuki.
- Shipper on Deck: She ships herself with Atsuki, especially in her dating game.
- Sibling Yin-Yang
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Her powers.
- Token Mini-Moe
- The Worf Effect: Despite having Mother Nature on her side, she still lost against Graham. To be fair, Atsuki said the battle was very close and the conclusion could not be seen.
- You Gotta Have Red Hair
Nami's classmate that is rather quiet and reserved. Once his Silent
is removed, he gains the power to read the thoughts of people and uses it to protect Nami in any way he can.
- Blessed with Suck: Shortly after his Silent is removed, he gains the power to read other people's minds. The first thing he does is check what his friends think of him. Turns out they only want him around to get candy, and he runs off crying.
- Not Himself: Nami says this when he gets in trouble with the police.
Akira's father who runs Sweet Ring. He lost his wife and refused to go to her funeral. He treats his son like dirt to cope with the loss, but as Akira starts to mature because of it, he slowly opens up to his son again.
- Abusive Parents: A deconstruction of this trope. The things he does to Akira can border on Mental Abuse. However, because Akira fights with his dad instead of taking it all in, this trope is subverted. And then it turns out that Kenichi does love his son very much, but doesn't know how to show it. He even admits to Atsuki that he feels like a failure dad.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Jerkass -> Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Like Father, Like Son: In more ways than one.
- Master of the Mixed Message: To Shunichi.
- Oblivious to Love: Or at least Shunichi's affections, at least.
- Papa Wolf: While he is a dad, he doesn't show this to Akira. Instead, he shows this side toward his friends (mainly Mika, Rui, Yayoi, Nami, and later Atsuki).
- Parents as People: He's the only parent to be seen in the game, while all the other characters either have parents that love them, parents that don't give a damn about them, or parents that are dead.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
A "private investigator" (information broker in the JP version) that takes low paying missions for information. He often trades info with Mika by means of tricking her (and it usually fails because she tends to leave as soon as she gets her info). He received a specific mission to find a person online named Pinkie who suddenly disappeared from the chat room.
A Chinese woman that came from China to run a store on her own. She has the power to quickly change her Shinen based on her mood. She quickly falls for Atsuki because they are alive. She is the daughter of a powerful family in China called the Red Tigers that are surprisingly telepaths like FORT. The major difference is that they are willing to protect Mei-Lin at any cost.
The replacement manager of Tohodo. She's a risk taker, quitting her job before Ryo approved of her. She is able to memorize the call number of any book very quickly. Within a week, she memorized every book that was in Tohodo, earning her a job. She encourages Ryo to get out more and hang out with his friends and worries for him often.
A reporter at SEAGULL whose job is to broadcast the latest news. While she tends to care about her looks and seem vain, she is a strong, kind woman who looks after Mika due to her recklessness.
A retired musician that decided to take it easy in the Deep Sea of area 4. He takes care of Kyosuke and worries for his well-being. He has a huge crush on Kenichi Mido.
A man that owns the arcade known as TOYBOX. He has a very nerdy appearance and is experienced with video games. However, he is prone to mood swings and often takes his anger out on the customers and police that come to visit him.
"Ah, a stud and a stud. That's true romance right there."
A nurse that works at Shinsei Hospital. She is best friends with Honoka and tends to fantasize people in romantic situations. This has caused rumors to spread about other people.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: All she talks about is romance and yaoi whenever you talk about her, so it makes you wonder what she did in episode 20 when it appeared that Honoka was doing most of the work.
- But Not Too Foreign: Her character design makes it seem like she's from Korea.
- Fangirl: Of romance.
- Hospital Hottie
- Love Freak
- One of Us: See Yaoi Fangirl below.
- Yaoi Fangirl: To the extreme. Hibiki is her main victim, though, as she's willing to pair him up with either Atsuki or Ryo.
- In fact, she spends most of the last episode trying to figure out if Hibiki and Ryo are going out and which one was the seme. Eventually, she'll ask for Atsuki's opinion. You can say who confessed first (which determines who tops), or you could just reject the whole thing entirely, resulting in her turning her attention to YOU.
An old lady that owns the movie theater South End in area 4. She is wise and observant, but loses hope instantly when the situation is desperate. She loves seeing people smile when they watch movies.
- Guide Dang It: Trying to remove her Silent is more difficult than saving Hibiki from Honoka! The problem with her Silent is that you have to read her mind in EPISODE 7. This is the episode where Yayoi goes missing, and you have that time limit to save her or it's game over. To prevent this, go in all the locations where Yayoi would go — The Tower where the group suicide took place and the Production Art to find Arthur. After that, you go find Nami at Pumpkin Witch (because that place is the place you least expect anyone important to be). Nami tells you all the places you should visit. You only need to go to one of them (Sweet Ring or Rainbow Hill) before choosing TOYBOX, where you'll find Nami again, who isn't giving up on Yayoi. At this point, Yayoi will be in the Yuhigaoka House area. Instead of going there directly, you'll have plenty of time to go to the POLICE STATION and talk to Mako, who talks about going to get some info on the serial killer. Follow her to SOUTH END and read Sakai's mind. After you do all of this, whenever South End is opened in episodes after that, you just go there, use memory, and read her mind. Once Lt. Tanaka is captured, you can remove her Silent and save her life as well as make South End still accessible in the game.
- Keeping Secrets Sucks: This is why she's infected with Silent. She knew that Lt. Tanaka was the serial killer, but decided not to tell the police last year because she was in denial that a nice man like him was a killer. Hiding him also would make her a criminal as well because her suspicions were clear.
- Never Found the Body: If you fail to remove her Silent, she simply disappears, leaving no trace of her behind. It's creepy...
- Older and Wiser
A strange man that works at Yuzi. He often changes his store to fit his taste... which is very bad. He has a bad time at managing things and is often taken advantage of. His only friend is Shinji, and he respects him greatly.
- A Friend in Need: He's willing to do anything for Shinji. Even selling his store that he practically lives in and inherited by his family to some stranger claiming that Shinji is in danger.
- Artistic License – Economics: He doesn't manage his money...or his store well. I mean, he gives his store to Nola because she's a pretty girl that said that Shinji's life was in danger. An Epic Fail when you realize how stupid Nola's story is.
- The Chew Toy: Whenever you meet him, something bad always happens.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: He brings this up to Atsuki because some guy was hitting on him. Depending on your answer, you can freak him out even more or convince him that he isn't gay.
- And despite this, the way he talks about Shinji is too suspicious.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Shinji but look at Shotacon.
- The Scrappy: In universe example. Girls seem to hate his guts simply because he's an idiot and unintentionally pisses them off. Yayoi unintentionally refers to him as an unlikable person and even Shinji, who is his only friend, apparently is annoyed by him.
- Too Dumb to Live: At times.
An abusive animal caretaker that neglects feeding his animals. No one stops him because there is no definite proof that he abuses them.
A man that works at Day & Night. He is all about cleanliness and hates kids with disrespect over anything. While he's polite toward Atsuki, he has demonstrated his dark side toward him.
- Jerkass: Who goes up to a little kid for touching the screen door of the convenient store and yells at them until they cry?
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: While he's not a likable person, according to Yayoi, people were cheering when he beat up Tomoyo when she came to his store and insulted him for having no taste.
- Neat Freak
- Put on a Bus: Once Atsuki removes his Silent, Liu Yee takes him away somewhere. Where? No one knows because you don't hear about him again. Not like anyone else cares because Kyosuke takes over Day & Night soon after.
- Unstoppable Rage: Anger management problems!
- Would Hit a Girl: If it's Tomoyo, then all is fair game.
- You Are What You Hate: He hates filth more than anything, but in reality, he himself is a filthy bastard.
A cheerful man that works at the post office mainly cleaning the entire place from top to bottom. He takes care of Melody in Nami's place and worries for her safety. He has a doll called Kee-Chan.
A rich woman that owns the Civic Hall. She only cares about men with money and discards everyone else that she considers useless. She constantly hits on Atsuki due to his looks rather than his money.
- Abhorrent Admirer: To Atsuki, to the point where Atsuki, in the game dialogue, actually seems to try and avoid her at all costs (as there are multiple options to run when he sees her and decline her offer). This is why Atsuki is almost thrilled that she's not chasing him anymore when she goes after Yuzi of all people.
- Gold Digger/Only in It for the Money
- Jerkass: So much. Most noticeably with Rui and how she regards her as a fake because Rui WOULDN'T GIVE HER THE FUTURE SHE WANTED. Also with Yuzi when she realized that he had no money and discarded him to go back to hitting on Atsuki.
- Money Fetish: So much.
- Rich Bitch
- Stalker with a Crush: While she isn't a stalker and her crush is fake due to wanting money, it's to be noted how she makes advances on Atsuki whenever he sees her.
- Uncanny Valley Make Up
A thug that causes trouble for people around Kisaragi. He is prone to Silent infections because he can't think on his own.
- Dumb Muscle
- Evil Is Dumb: Who is stupid enough to cause a scene in a restaurant, much less a fortune telling store?
- Jerkass: And how.
- I can name a few. Coming into Sweet Ring and yelling at Nami for bringing a dog into the store and threatening to sue the place. (Akira gets his Crowning Moment of Awesome in this scene where he successfully forces him to leave without losing his temper.)
- Threatening to hurt Atsuki on multiple occasions.
- Threatening to kill Rui. This does not end well for him, as Rui throws a crystal ball in his face (shattering it) and Kei distracted him until Atsuki arrived.
- The Soulless/Empty Shell: Atsuki claims in Episode 19 that Katsuhisa is finished because Silent infected him too many times and his personality by default is that of a monster.
- Would Hit a Girl: Well, he did try to kidnap Rui, and when she retaliated, he did try to hurt her.
- Would Hurt a Child: If Akira wasn't there to stop him, he would have hit Nami. He also attacked Kei when he defended Rui.
A mysterious boy that pledges loyalty toward Rui and swore to protect her from the darkness. He is actually Atsuki's childhood self before being tainted by the cruel reality of the world. They separated when Rui tried to read their minds. He witnessed Mika's brainwashing by Graham and later merged with Atsuki after succeeding in protecting Rui.
A Spanish Mastiff that follows Nami around. Melody is very protective of Nami and will go to extreme lengths to keep her safe.
A Siamese cat that was abused by Tazaki. Nami took the cat in and nursed it back to health, only for him to disappear. This cat has been rumored to drive people who see it insane.
- Animal Assassin: Tazaki got what was coming to him.
- Animal Battle Aura: It's so powerful that Atsuki was injured by how negative it was.
- Cats Are Mean: Subverted. While not mean, Mint will kill people that try to hurt Nami.
- Cat Scare: Literally what drives people ballistic.
- Intellectual Animal
- Killed Off for Real: Not really a spoiler. Nami is in denial that the cat was dead all along, but others saw Mint as a ghost that made people go crazy. Only by Atsuki removing the Silent from Mint does Nami accept the fact.
- Knight Templar: Toward Nami, because she was the only person that actually cared for him.
- Talking Animal: While it seems the cat is talking, Mint is just using telepathy to speak to Nami and Atsuki.
Villains (BEWARE OF SPOILERS)
A mysterious girl that has a connection to Arthur Mays. At age ten, she died due to her parents neglecting her, but even then, she continued to smile. While she doesn't hold any ill will toward anyone, she has an Original Silent that Atsuki must eliminate.
An old man who runs the AMS Bank as well as a writer for the famous novel, Phantom. He is wise and knowledgeable despite his old age. However, some characters can't help but question his character. Turns out he's the leader of the rival organization of FORT, known as PHALANX, whose ultimate goal is to co-exist with Silent. He does cruel things such as tricking Hibiki into joining PHALANX, destroying Shinji's mind (almost killing him in the process), killing Takano by forcing him to commit suicide, and almost successfully manipulated Ryo. However, thanks to Atsuki wearing him down in battle and Liu Yee finishing him off, his plans have been put on halt for eternity and PHALANX has disbanded thanks to his death.
A mysterious man that claims to be a spy. While no one takes him seriously, he seems to intrigue those that he talks to. And everybody he talks to goes insane. He wants to merge with the Shinen pool of Kisaragi and to do that, he needs to combine with both Rui and Nami's body and soul.