Madougu: (The Eight Fire Dragons)
Voiced by: Kousuke Okano (Japanese) and Scott Roberts (English)
Recca, the son of a fireworks smith, fantasizes about being a ninja, while butting heads with Delinquents
. One day, he meets (and is immediately smitten by) Yanagi Sakoshita, becoming involved in a destiny four centuries in the making, when he learns that he was actually warped from the Sengoku period
by his mother Kagerou and is half-siblings with Kurei, an assassin who wants Yanagi's healing powers for his insane stepfather, Kouran Mori, who desires Immortality
. He enters a tournament after "defeating"
Kurei, and eventually wins for real. He and his allies become involved with Mori, who now has found the power of eternal life, but transforms him into an abomination. Despite its power, he still needs to absorb Yanagi to achieve perfection. Recca and co. face him and his assassin group and face him once and for all, causing Recca to lose his powers.
- Adaptational Dye Job: A bit. The manga had him with black hair with a bit of red stripes on the edge of the hair. He's completely black haired in the anime.
- Ascended Fanboy: He was a fan of ninjas in general. Then he realized that he really is a ninja.
- Blessed with Suck: Had the dragons never given Recca their abilities, he'd be stuck working with standard level flame bursts, and his own strength and skill. Not to mention that his flame has no true form.
- Took a Level in Badass: And then he started to learn the power of the flame dragons, not to mention get more powerful himself without them.
- Brought Down to Normal: Ultimately sacrifices his pyromantic powers to defeat Mori, in the process destroying all Madougus.
- Cain and Abel: With Kurei
- Cursed with Awesome: All flame wielders can manipulate fire and have high resistance to it, not to mention a special fire ability. However, if he/she releases a fire seal, more flames will emanate than he/she can consciously control, which can prove fatal provided the true form of their flame is a jerk.
- Delinquent: He isn't in the territory of Yusuke Urameshi or anything, but Recca has a reputation for getting into fights.
- Florence Nightingale Effect: Has a crush on Yanagi, calls her a princess and swears to protect her for the rest of his life - all within minutes of him getting healed by her powers.
- The Hero
- I Don't Know Mortal Kombat: For all his impressive street fighting records, he totally sucks at fighting games.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Ninja: Wanted to be one, and turns out to the heir of a unknown but powerful group of ninjas.
- Playing with Fire
- Power Limiter: The bracer inherited from Kagero, used to channel both his pyromancy and control the Flame Dragons.
- Scars Are Forever: Inflicted by Kurei when he was but a baby.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Made a policy not to kill anyone.
- Though once Mori Koran fuses with the Tendo Jigoku, he makes an exception towards this rule.
- Tomato in the Mirror: He eventually finds out that he, not Kurei, is the cursed child of the Hokage clan, and is at most risk of becoming the ninth Cursed Dragon.
Madougu: (Healing Powers)
Voiced by: Yuki Masuda
(Japanese) and Carol-Anne Day (English)
A sweet girl Recca meets and is immediately smitten with after saving her from falling debris from a nearby construction site. At that moment she reveals her healing powers, which makes her a walking target for Mori and his underlings. In the meantime she serves as Team Hokage's medic.
- A-Cup Angst: As seen in the manga.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Tends to get a little annoyed whenever other girls show interest in Recca, despite not actually dating him... but we all know they are... but they still aren't.
- Distressed Damsel: Many times. Unlike other examples, however, she has complete faith that Recca and company will save her.
- Healing Factor: Why Mori wants her.
- Identical Stranger: To Mikagami's dead older sister.
- The Ingenue
- The Medic
- Modesty Bedsheet: In the anime, after being captured by Kurei, followed by Go-Go Enslavement.
- Ms. Fanservice: Near the end of the manga, Yanagi has gotten noticeably taller, and the fact that she's forced to wear a rather form fitting white dress doesn't hurt either.
- Plucky Girl: Not as much an Action Girl as all the other females in the series, but she's as determined as the rest of them.
- Reincarnation: In her past life, Yanagi was Princess Sakura, whom Recca's father Ouka pledged loyalty to after she healed his wounds (their first meeting actually mirrored Recca's and Yanagi's). She was in love with a servant and spurned the advances of a powerful, evil warlord with a record of abusing and killing his mistress, and Ouka promised to use the strength of the Hokage to assassinate the warlord and solve her country's dilemma. Unfortunately, the mission failed. In the war that ensued, Sakura's father and lover died and Sakura herself committed suicide out of grief, leaving Ouka to finish off the warlord personally in his defense of her suicide ritual. Sakura's death remained Ouka's greatest regret to this day; he told Recca that he believed the reason Yanagi in present day has healing powers is because Sakura's soul wasn't saved and urged Recca to rescue Yanagi from Tendou Jigoku's clutch.
- Replacement Goldfish: Mikagami treats her like a substitute of his beloved dead sister, whom she resembles to an uncanny degree, with a rather... belligerent passion, at first. He mellows out a lot later, but is still just as protective of her.
- Traumatic Haircut: Courtesy of Mikagami.
- The Heart: To Team Hokage
Madougu: Dosei no Wa / Kuchibashi Oh / Tetsugan
Voiced by: Nobuo Tobita
(Japanese) and Adam Hunter (English)
An infamous delinquent who would frequently butt heads with Recca, only because Fuuko, the object of his affections, told him that he could court her should he beat Recca. Of course, all his attempts fail, and he instead ends up helping Recca rescue Fuuko from brainwashing by Kage Hoshi. Upon the formation of Team Hokage, Kage Hoshi/Kagerou bequeaths him the Dosei no Wa, which further amplifies his already physical strength. He later receives Kuchibashi Oh, a sharp beak-like weapon attached to a long chain, and the Tetsugan, which grants him temporary invincibility.
Madougu: Fujin / Matsume
Recca's tomboyish childhood rival, who always wanted to beat him so he would have to serve her. She doesn't take well to the news that Recca devoted his life to Yanagi out of his free will, so she quickly accepted Kage Hoshi's Fujin, a device which lets her control wind. Unfortunately it turns out to be spiked with a brainwashing device, and Recca and Domon had to defeat her to free her. Afterwards she becomes friendlier with Yanagi, reconnects with Recca, and starts to take Domon, who had been pining for her for years, a little bit more seriously. She also gains the Matsume, a set of needles, which she combines with the Fujin to generate sharp spikes of wind.
- Action Girl
- Adaptation Dye-Job: By default, she's brown haired. The anime changed her hair color into purple.
- Badass: Like Domon and Recca, Fuuko tends to have groups of people come at her at once. Before she got her powers.
- Blow You Away
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Initially, under the influence of Fujin with a mind control crystal secreted in by Kage Hoshi.
- Clothing Damage: It happens to her a lot, mainly in her first tournament bout with her opponent Fujimaru, who intentionally strips off her clothes.
- The Chick: Though of the fighting type.
- Delinquent: Like Recca and Domon, Fuuko get into a lot of fights!
- Determinator: Getting the crap kicked out of her by spiked spider tentacles? She won't quit. Repeatedly getting electrocuted by a laser beam? She won't quit. Being poisoned and getting beaten down on, only to steal the antidote at the last moment? This girl just won't quit!
- It's a trait in the past that Recca mentioned, ever since Junior High. Did she just got sick? She won't ever pass up a school day because of that.
- Fragile Speedster
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Maybe Ever After: With Domon.
- Memento MacGuffin: After Hisui dies protecting her, Fuko fights with one of Hisui's blade to honor her memory.
- Ms. Fanservice: For a sixteen-year-old, Fuuko's pretty well endowed, and according to her, she's a D-cup.
- Plucky Girl
- Razor Wind: Her ability using the Matsume add-on.
- Ship Tease: With Raiha.
- Stripperific: Fuuko usually wears sleeveless shirts and cutoff jeans in battle. Considering that her combat style requires sheer agility, it makes sense she tends to dress like this.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Not that she has a problem with killing itself, but people who indiscriminately and wantonly take life disgust Fuuko, as Mikoto found out.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Implied to have feelings for Recca before but she backed down when Yanagi entered the scene.
- Wolverine Claws: Adding the Matsume to her Fujin allows her to create claws of wind that can slice through steel!
- Zettai Ryouiki: Thighhigh socks + short shorts.
An enigmatic, handsome swordsman out on a mission to avenge his older sister Mifuyu, who was murdered right before his very eyes. Cold and calculating, he only joins Team Hokage to advance his cause, although he subsequently finds himself in a protective role towards Yanagi, who constantly reminds him of Mifuyu. He fights using the Ensui, a rapier-like Madougu which can utilize water in both its liquid, solid and gaseous states.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: He has light-blue hair in the manga, which turned to dark gray in the anime)
- Adorkable: Pretty much what he is once he learns to loosen up.
- An Ice Person: He can drop the temperature of his sword to absolute zero.
- Badass: Tokiya has trained as a swordsman since he was ten. And he doesn't need it to kick ass.
- Badass in Distress: Just seems to hit him after Ura Butou Satsujin quite a lot.
- Bishōnen: Frequently gets mistaken for a woman plenty of times. And he doesn't like it.
- Butt Monkey: Ever since he "molded" with Team Hokage and started letting go of his path of vengeance, he's starting to compete with Domon for this position. Fuuko picks on him on daily basis (hits him off, kick him while he sleeps) and then for no apparent reason, fell into a trap that he could've dodged easily, which ends with him rained with taunts and ridicule by Recca and Domon.
- Child Prodigy: Tokiya mastered Hyomon Ken in seven years, and that's implied to be very impressive by his teacher. And not only that, he's a top student in school, not to mention an excellent tactician.
- Cynicism Catalyst: the death of his sister
- Deadpan Snarker
- Defrosting Ice Prince: Initially cold to everyone save Yanagi. He only joins Hokage in order to protect her, but around the second story arc, he found himself actually liking them.
- Glass Cannon: Great offense, but poor defense.
- Heavy Sleeper: Usually sleeps in mission briefings before things get serious. Fuuko dislikes that about him.
- The Lancer
- Making a Splash
- Revenge - His early motivation, causing him to be totally ruthless and cruel. But...
- Vengeance Feels Empty - He learns it the hard way after his fight with Kai, who was consumed with the same thing and Driven to Suicide after his emptiness. With that in mind, he drops the revenge motivation.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
Madougu: Kougan Anki
Voiced by: Motoko Kumai
(Japanese) and Brett Bauer (English)
A young boy who originally was affiliated to Kurei's Uruha, but later sided with Team Hokage. In battle he fights using the Kougan Anki, a puzzle-like Madougu which can transform into five different forms
- Abhorrent Admirer: He has one in the form of a homosexual, psychotic, killer, pedophile cyborg.
- Alliterative Name
- Anti-Villain: All he wants is to serve Kurei, who saved him from the life of a castaway.
- Badass Adorable
- Bling of War: He wears a gold cross and necklace.
- But Now I Must Go: In the end, despite his desire to stay with Team Hokage, he realizes that he'd be more useful by Kurei's side on his travel to the past.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Heel-Face Turn: Kaoru leaves the Uruha, and joins Hokage.
- Interrupted Suicide: As a kid, he tried to slit his wrists but Kurei stopped him. This action made Kaoru swear loyalty to Kurei and is the main reason why he can't turn his weapon on him because Kurei saved his life. Alas this is not presented in the manga.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Teen Genius: When it comes to the Kougan Anki. Any normal skilled wielder can take up to ten seconds changing its form. Kaoru can do it in a full second.
- The Smart Guy: His weapon requires him to be ingenious with puzzles, otherwise it'd be a big hindrance.
- Super Drowning Skills
- Swiss Army Weapon: His Kougan Ankin has five different forms: a naginata, a chained sickle, a pair of huge scissors, a crescent boomerang, and a bow-and-arrow.
Kage Hoshi / Kagerou
Madougu: Eikai Kyouku
A mysterious woman clad in black who stalks Recca and served as the antagonist of the first arc by way of brainwashing Fuuko with the Fujin and egging on Tokiya on his misguided quest for vengeance. As it turns out, she only did all these to test Recca's growing powers. After Recca saved Yanagi from Mori and Kurei, she ultimately reveals herself as none other than Recca's mother Kagerou, who was forced to teleport him 400 years into the future to spare him from the massacre of their clan by Oda Nobunaga
— at the price of her becoming immortal. While not an active combatant for Team Hokage, she bears her own Madougu, the Eikai Kyouku, a crystal ball which acts both as a teleporter, time recorder and scrying device.
Kurei is the son of Kouran Mori and for some reason he looks rather similar to Recca and able to unleash flames on his hand, only blue/purple colored. He's cold hearted and sadistic, and led an elite group of assassins, the Uruha. He's quick to reveal that he's Recca's brother from the past, being ostracized as a cursed child since he's at childhood age made him nearly assassinate the infant Recca and snuck to the present age when the Hokage was obliterated by Oda Nobunaga
, ending up in the care of the kind Tsukino Mori... whose husband is a monster extraordinary. Kurei was eventually double-crossed by Kouran and nearly died, surviving thanks to his loyal subordinates and decided to take revenge by killing Kouran.
- A Father to His Men: Well most of them anyway, with the exception of backstabbers and pawns
- Aloof Big Brother: To Recca.
- Badass: To put it this way, the only one that fought him who doesn't end being beaten to a pulp is Recca himself. And that's only after going through nearly a full story arc of multiple level ups.
- Bishounen: When the mask and the creepy smile are off.
- Blood Knight: While he won't admit it, he is very excited about fighting
- But Now I Must Go: After Tendou Jigoku is defeated, he bids his companions (Raiha, Neon) farewell and travels back to 400 years ago, so that he can kill Oda Nobunaga and avenge the Hokage clan.
- Cain and Abel: With Recca.
- Cool Big Bro: To a young Koganei. He taught him martial arts and gave him madougu and all.
- Defrosting Ice Jerk: After the tournament arc he's still in pretty cool headed, but he's far more open with his own team and doesn't hide his emotions from them.
- He went through the whole defrosting thing with Kurenai before too, when her bright and cheerful personality rubbed off on him. Sadly it did not last, thanks to Mori.
- Despair Event Horizon: Crosses it many times in his life, molding him into a Jerkass Woobie.
- The Dragon: To Mori, though not by choice, until Mori pulls a You Have Outlived Your Usefulness on Kurei.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Kurei has always loved both of his mothers. He's proud of his birth mother, and he went out of his way to act polite and courteous in front of her imprisoned stepmother, preferring not to shed blood in front of her, and when he learned that Mori's men were badmouthing his stepmom behind his back... after he left his mother's sight, he puts on his Psychotic Smirk and burnt down the insulters.
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: Gives quite an effective one to his brother when he crosses over the Despair Event Horizon in the final act of the manga.
- Good Is Not Nice: Even after he's turned on Mori, he doesn't act like a saint.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Gave himself this after his lover Kurenai was killed by Mori.
- I Gave My Word: Say what you will about Kurei being a brutal killer, when Recca defeated him, he promised none of his subordinates would ever raise a hand to them again. And they didn't.
- Jerkass: Turns out to be a Jerk with a Heart of Gold, who has a huge Jerkass Fašade.
- Jerkass Woobie: Sure, Kurei is far from nice, but to go through everything he has from the age of four, you just have to feel for him. He was stripped of his birthright for no properly proven reason, exiled with his mother to the outskirts of the village to endure ridicule and humiliation, not to mention implied violence from other children, imprisoned after trying to kill Recca in attempt to make his mother happy, oh, and his entire clan was destroyed in the span of a single night, including his father, and his mother who died protecting him. This is all at the age of four or five!
- When Kurei arrives in the future, he's adopted by a kind woman. Turns out, her husband is an utter beast! For the next twelve years, Kurei is trained to become a killing machine with no emotions to hold him back, and if he doesn't do what he is told, his adoptive mother would be killed. Then, he meets a girl, who he begins to love, but she is then killed by his adoptive father because she was holding Kurei back. That was pretty much the last straw for Kurei.
- Kill It with Fire: His main technique and unlike Recca, he does kill.
- And if he wants to, the people that he kills, he can absorb their spirits into his flame, reincarnating them as a being of fire that can't be killed under Kurei's control.
- Lightning Bruiser: Of the Hard-Hitting Speedster variety.
- Mask Power: Often wears a mask to hide his disfigured left side of his face, even it doesn't look impressive until the finals of the Tournament Arc.
- Magnetic Anti-hero: He's very popular with many Uruha members, like Raiha, Joker, Jisho, Neon, to name a few.
- Made of Iron: After he and Recca beat the ever loving tar out of each other, depleting their physical and mental energies, they fire off multiple blasts of flame that collapse an entire stadium on the both of them! He then busts out with his fists looking fine.
- Necromancer: His flame has the power to revive the souls of dead people and make them his own flame, like Kurenai and Jisho. Like father like son.
- Noble Demon: He often spares those who aren't directly involved with his goals, but if you do God have mercy.
- You get worse if you actually harm his loved ones.
- Nominal Hero: Unlike his brother, he'll happily kill, hit girls, and inflict lasting pain on anyone in his way.
- Playing with Fire: Like Recca.
- Recca I Am Your Brother
- Sixth Ranger: To Team Hokage, later on in the Manga.
- Slasher Smile: His default expression, when fighting.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Kurenai.
- Too Many Belts: On his black (red in the anime) robe outfit.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: The moment he considers exiting the battlefield for good to start a new chapter with Neon, one of Mori's underlings attacks their hiding place and injures Neon. Kurei takes that as a sign that he isn't meant to have a peaceful life, kills the mook, and leaves Neon a note wishing for her happiness before going off to settle his scores with Mori.
- The Only One Allowedto Defeat You: After what he sees as Recca being the basic cause of all his initial troubles, Kurei doesn't want anyone finishing Recca off but him.
- The Phoenix: His flame's true form, just like his father. It explains his flame's ability to raise the soul of the dead (like Jisho and Kurenai) and transform them into part of his flame.
- The Un Favourite: While viewed by this by the Hokage council, his main reason for hating Recca's guts is that being passed over is what ultimately caused his mother's death. It turns out he is the rightful heir of the clan, it's just that he looked creepy.
- When He Smiles: Not his usual Slasher Smile, but the non-creepy kind. Even Recca admits he looks very kind.
- Worthy Opponent: To Recca.
A member of the Uruha Jyuushinshu and Kurei's most trusted right-hand man, a skilled ninja whose Adorkable
attitude hides his ferocity in battle. He held the madogu Raijin, the Evil Counterpart
of Fuuko's Fuujin. His loyalty to Kurei is second to none
, as he is a descendant of the Hokage clan members that fled during the battle against Nobunaga instead of dying to protect the clan's honor. He saw serving Kurei as a way to atone his ancestors' shame of fleeing.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: His sword can cut through metal robots.
- Adorkable: Vey much so
- Affably Evil: Being Adorkable rather than Fun Personified like Joker
- Beware the Nice Ones: He can be a Cloudcuckoolander, but God helps you if you piss him off by being irredemably evil like Soukakusai.
- Bishounen: He's one of the three main ones for the Jyushinshu, but still noticeably male.
- He looked far more like a female before Art Evolution took place.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: What happens when he does use his madogu.
- Big Damn Heroes: To Fuuko when she's trapped by Soukakusai, and Kurei's foster mother, Tsukino.
- Chick Magnet (being a Bishōnen, he attracts a lot of girls on his tenure)
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He often acts really happy and whimsical until he uses Raijin and shows how dangerous and deadly he is.
- Enigmatic Minion: He is often on Kurei's side, but will aide Team Recca, particularly Fuko from time to time. He's got nothing on Joker on being this though.
- Friendly Enemy: To Fuuko.
- Handsome Lech (He tends to play this in front of Fuuko)
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Tends to be a clumsy guy, as shown in the Ura Butou Satsujin.
- One-Man Army: Throughout the entire tournament, Raiha defeated all his opponents. And he didn't even need to kill any of them.
- Old Shame: Technically not his. He's descended from Hokage ninjas who fled the village when it was attacked by Nobunaga instead of fighting to the death, and is very ashamed of his heritage. Kurei doesn't seem to mind about any of it though, so Raiha's happy serving him and making up for the cowardice his ancestors showed centuries ago.
- Shock and Awe: His electrical madogu, Raijin, is more of an Informed Ability, until he used it against Fuko, showing how powerful he is.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: His madogu that possesses him takes the form of a deranged kirin creature.
A maid of the Mori house along with her little sisters Miki and Aki, at first homeless girls until they're picked up and hired by Kurei. Neon is deeply infatuated with Kurei, but realizes that she can't win his heart from Kurenai, and in turn she witnesses Kurei's fall into evil due to Kouran Mori's machinations. Feeling that she must protect him, she enrolled as an Uruha assassin, working her way up into the Jyuushinshu. She wields the soundwave-manipulating madogu, Fukyou Waon. Later, she inherits Jishou's twin swords.
A man of mystery. He just appeared out of nowhere and had a fight with Jyuushinshu member Jishou to a stalemate until Kurei witnessed his skills and decided to recruit him into Uruha. Joker only joins in one condition: If he's permitted to speak so informally all the time because being formal is a pain in the ass for him. Despite his jolly attitude, he's one of the best fighters in Uruha and the most powerful. He wields the Taishaku Kaiten, a trident-formed Madogu that controls gravity. He ends up fatally wounded by Ura Uruha member Kadotsu and used his last strength to conjure a black hole that takes him with Kadotsu to some place unknown.
- Affably Evil: Being Fun Personified, he's laid back, makes a lot of amusing humor and is a pretty likable character, even though he's a bad guy
- Demoted to Extra: Joker has got to be the one suffering this trope the most in the anime. His fight with Koganei gets massively cut short (he just surrendered for no reason), he didn't appear to 'blend in' with the Hokage in the previous rounds and then massively wound Saichou to rile Koganei up for his fight and his personality gets rewritten into more The Stoic than Fun Personified. One of the reasons why the manga being called superior and Joker being a fan favorite.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He shows disgust when seeing Mikoto cheats and brutalizes Fuuko, asking Kurei whether it's right to draft her as a Jyuushinshu or not.
- Fun Personified ("It just pains me to be formal!")
- Gravity Master: His madogu, the Taishaku Kaiten can increase gravity, or decrease it, and even create miniature black holes.
- Gravity Sucks
- The Mole
- Monster Clown: More of an Affably Evil jester for Kurei.
- Obfuscating Stupidity Joker acts like a complete moron, but he's actually probably the most perceptive person in the series. Seeing through Kurei's Jerkass Fašade is some mean feat!
- Peek-a-Bangs (Not using his hair, though. His eyes are always covered with his helmet, hat or hood)
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: When he first debuts, he hangs around with the heroes, and offers helpful advice that helps them win a few times. Then...something happened.
- Taking You with Me (His method of death)
- Villainous Harlequin: At first
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: He was supposedly the strongest next to Kurei, yet is killed by Magensha in the fourth round.
- Doesn't stop Kurei from resurrecting him as one of his flames in the manga.
- Informed Ability: Jisho apparently rivaled Kurei in power, according to Kaoru. He was killed before he could tell however.
- Noble Demon: He already shows signs of this when he made a protection pact for Kurei with Raiha and Neon, but later on, he's featured in the flashback with Meguri Kyouza and shows utter contempt at the thugs that personally killed Mifuyu Mikagami (when he just asked them to 'retrieve Ensui') and ignores their pleas for help as Meguri killed them in rage... and shows his condolence about Mifuyu's death before recruiting Meguri to Uruha.
- Posthumous Character: After his death and later reappearance as Kurei's flames, Jishou is fortunate enough to receive characterization via flashbacks.
- Undying Loyalty: To Kurei He is even resurrected as a flame to fight for Kurei during the fight with Recca.
- The Worf Effect: He is the original top 3 of Uruha Jyuushinshu aside of Neon and Raiha, but... Joker made himself known by fighting him to a stalemate. Then Magensha easily obliterated his team and personally killed him.
- Dirty Old Man: He gropes Neon in the anime. And even offers to let her live, if she'll be his concubine.
- Evil Genius: He's a talented doctor, and can even remove non physical diseases from a person's body with psychic surgery.
- Evil Old Folks
- Mad Scientist: Since he doesn't believe god exists, he has no problem being completely immoral.
- Master of Illusion: He can make seven clones of himself in order to fight his enemies.
- Not Quite Dead: It may have been a clone, but it still counts
- The Star Scream: To Kurei, having a grudge towards him after being beaten by him and forced into the group.
- Always Someone Better: Tokiya was this to him. Until Kai defeated him in the tournament.
- An Ice Person: His power similar to Tokiya. However, Kai has all the water in the atmosphere to use for ice.
- Anti-Villain: He's on the side of the then villain, but is clearly not evil, and demanded a fair sword fight and would not attack Tokiya while he as down and without his sword.
- Which clues Tokiya into thinking that he's not the killer of his sister.
- Ax-Crazy: His mad obsession with beating Tokiya and the use of Hyouma En which makes the user demand blood, makes him very unstable
- Badass: He not only handed Tokiya his first ever real loss in the series, but he completed his Hyomon Ken training in a year, when it took Tokiya seven years.
- Dreadlock Warrior: His hairstyle is that of one.
- Evil Counterpart: Tokiya's Or Is He?
- Evil Weapon: His madogu, Hyouma En is the evil counterpart to Tokiya's Ensui. It is also a sentient sword, that demands the blood of hits victims.
- In the Hood: Initially
- Kill It with Water: Again similar to Tokiya's.
- Actually, instead of directly using water, Kai uses the moisture in the atmosphere to create ice.
- Making a Splash: Finally similar to Tokiya's.
- Master Swordsman: According to Kai and his flashback, he'd never lost a sword fight in his life, until he met Meguri Kyoza.
- The Un Favourite: Meguri Kyoza's ploy to get Tokiya stronger by injecting an inferiority complex into Kai
- Asshole Victim: Its hard to feel bad for all the unfortunate things that happen to her. Fuuko breaking her arm, Tokiya scaring and humiliating her so hard she pees on herself, and even getting killed by her equally sadistic boyfriend don't really provoke any sadness for the way she died.
- Dark Action Girl: Not as Bad Ass as Neon though.
- Glass Cannon: Essentially, what she and her puppets are, while they can deal damage, they can't take hits well
- Jerk Ass: She's easily the biggest bitch in Uruha, which is a big reason that she falls for the biggest asshole in Uruha, Mokuren.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: In the anime at least.
- Marionette Master: Uses life sized puppets to fight for her
- Samus is a Girl: She often hides in her puppets, having them fight for her. In fact, she hid in her first puppet for so long that people assumed that that was her real appearance.
- Smug Snake: Despite not having any of the fighting skills the others possess, she does have cunning to cheat and fight dirty against enemies while acting high and mighty.
- Stripperiffic: A short kimono showing her bare legs, it would be sexy if she wasn't such a bitch.
- Weak, but Skilled: Relies on her puppets and cunning
- The Worf Effect: Gets this since her fight with Fuko, losing to Tokiya and finally Kukai before Mokuren kills her off
- You Have Failed Me: Mokuren didn't like how she lost to Kukai
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Light World Sphere takes a small part of himself each time he uses it, eventually erasing himself from existence
- Death Seeker: As a result of killing his mother via his erasing technique
- Despair Event Horizon: Erasing his mother from existence, made more traumatic since he was a child when he did so
- The Dragon: Worked as one under Mori.
- EmotionlessBoy: He literally has no emotions, and can only express his non-feelings in physical ways.
- Lightis Not Good: Oh boy is it ever not! Rasen's madogu, the Light World Sphere, shines a light over it's intended target. And what does it do? Erase it from existence!
- Perpetual Frowner: The only one in a manga full of Slasher Smile, he's the only one never to have grinned in the entire story
- Our Zombies Are Different: Not actually a zombie, he's fully alive, but describes himself as being like the walking dead. He's living, but with no emotions, he's dead on the inside.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: As revealed in one of the back covers of one of the volumes, considering his power, it's appropriate
- Wild Card: Described as this, compared to Joker's joker.
Click here to see
- Affably Evil: As noted by the guy who took care of him, he always talked about his grandson and was a Cool Old Guy to be respected
- Badass Grandpa: Let's put it this way: Kurei even feared him even when he's in his deathbed.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: Had them even before joining Uruha
- Broken Pedestal: To Mikagami once he found out from Kai that Meguri was responsible for his sister's death.
- Rebuilt Pedestal: But they eventually sorted things out once they finally met and Meguri revealed to Mikagami the secrets of his family.
- Evil Old Folks: Subverted, even though he is on the bad guys' side, it wasn't by choice and even it weren't the case, he's pretty much the nicest member of the Quirky Mini Boss Squad, especially compared to Genjuro
- The Faceless: ... Until the SODOM arc, in which his face is fully seen.
- The Ghost: Referred to as early as the tournament arc, but does not make an official appearance until the final Tendou Jigoku arc.
- Mikagami I Am Your Grandfather
- Old Master: To Tokiya
- Walking Spoiler: Due to his relationship with Tokiya
- Secretly Dying
- Shrouded in Myth
- You Killed My Sister: Kai later reveals that he is responsible for the murder of Tokiya's sister.
- turns out he was merely guilty and the killer was a nameless thug working for Mori.