open/close all folders
Madougu: (The Eight Fire Dragons)
Voiced by: Kousuke Okano (Japanese) and Scott Roberts (English)Recca, the son of a fireworks smith, fantasizes about being a ninja, while butting heads with Delinquents. One day, he meets (and is immediately smitten by) Yanagi Sakoshita, becoming involved in a destiny four centuries in the making, when he learns that he was actually warped from the Sengoku period by his mother Kagerou and is half-siblings with Kurei, an assassin who wants Yanagi's healing powers for his insane stepfather, Kouran Mori, who desires Immortality. He enters a tournament after "defeating" Kurei, and eventually wins for real. He and his allies become involved with Mori, who now has found the power of eternal life, but transforms him into an abomination. Despite its power, he still needs to absorb Yanagi to achieve perfection. Recca and co. face him and his assassin group once and for all, causing Recca to lose his powers.
- Adaptational Dye Job: A bit. The manga had him with black hair with a bit of red stripes on the edge of the hair. He's completely black haired in the anime.
- Ascended Fanboy: He was a fan of ninjas in general. Then he realized that he really is a ninja.
- Blessed with Suck: Had the dragons never given Recca their abilities, he'd be stuck working with standard level flame bursts, and his own strength and skill. Not to mention that his flame has no true form.
- Brought Down to Normal: Ultimately sacrifices his pyromantic powers to defeat Mori, in the process destroying all Madougus.
- Cain and Abel: With Kurei
- Cursed with Awesome: All flame wielders can manipulate fire and have high resistance to it, not to mention a special fire ability. However, if he/she releases a fire seal, more flames will emanate than he/she can consciously control, which can prove fatal provided the true form of their flame is a jerk.
- Delinquent: He isn't in the territory of Yusuke Urameshi or anything, but Recca has a reputation for getting into fights.
- Florence Nightingale Effect: Has a crush on Yanagi, calls her a princess and swears to protect her for the rest of his life - all within minutes of him getting healed by her powers.
- The Hero
- I Don't Know Mortal Kombat: For all his impressive street fighting records, he totally sucks at fighting games.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Ninja: Wanted to be one, and turns out to the heir of a unknown but powerful group of ninjas.
- Playing with Fire
- Power Limiter: The bracer inherited from Kagero, used to channel both his pyromancy and control the Flame Dragons.
- Scars Are Forever: Inflicted by Kurei when he was but a baby.
- Took a Level in Badass: And then he started to learn the power of the flame dragons, not to mention get more powerful himself without them.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Made a policy not to kill anyone.
- Though once Mori Koran fuses with the Tendo Jigoku, he makes an exception towards this rule.
- Tomato in the Mirror: He eventually finds out that he, not Kurei, is the cursed child of the Hokage clan, and is at most risk of becoming the ninth Cursed Dragon.
Madougu: (Healing Powers)
Voiced by: Yuki Masuda (Japanese) and Carol-Anne Day (English)A sweet girl Recca meets and is immediately smitten with after saving her from falling debris from a nearby construction site. At that moment she reveals her healing powers, which makes her a walking target for Mori and his underlings. In the meantime she serves as Team Hokage's medic.
- A-Cup Angst: As seen in the manga.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Tends to get a little annoyed whenever other girls show interest in Recca, despite not actually dating him... but we all know they are... but they still aren't.
- Distressed Damsel: Many times. Unlike other examples, however, she has complete faith that Recca and company will save her.
- Dub Name Change: To Anna Yanagi in the Filipino dub.
- Healing Factor: Why Mori wants her.
- Identical Stranger: To Mikagami's dead older sister.
- The Ingenue
- The Medic
- Modesty Bedsheet: In the anime, after being captured by Kurei, followed by Go-Go Enslavement.
- Ms. Fanservice: Near the end of the manga, Yanagi has gotten noticeably taller, and the fact that she's forced to wear a rather form fitting white dress doesn't hurt either.
- Plucky Girl: Not as much an Action Girl as all the other females in the series, but she's as determined as the rest of them.
- Reincarnation: In her past life, Yanagi was Princess Sakura, whom Recca's father Ouka pledged loyalty to after she healed his wounds (their first meeting actually mirrored Recca's and Yanagi's). She was in love with a servant and spurned the advances of a powerful, evil warlord with a record of abusing and killing his mistress, and Ouka promised to use the strength of the Hokage to assassinate the warlord and solve her country's dilemma. Unfortunately, the mission failed. In the war that ensued, Sakura's father and lover died and Sakura herself committed suicide out of grief, leaving Ouka to finish off the warlord personally in his defense of her suicide ritual. Sakura's death remained Ouka's greatest regret to this day; he told Recca that he believed the reason Yanagi in present day has healing powers is because Sakura's soul wasn't saved and urged Recca to rescue Yanagi from Tendou Jigoku's clutch.
- Replacement Goldfish: Mikagami treats her like a substitute of his beloved dead sister, whom she resembles to an uncanny degree, with a rather... belligerent passion, at first. He mellows out a lot later, but is still just as protective of her.
- Traumatic Haircut: Courtesy of Mikagami.
- The Heart: To Team Hokage
Madougu: Dosei no Wa / Kuchibashi Oh / Tetsugan
Voiced by: Nobuo Tobita (Japanese) and Adam Hunter (English)An infamous delinquent who would frequently butt heads with Recca, only because Fuuko, the object of his affections, told him that he could court her should he beat Recca. Of course, all his attempts fail, and he instead ends up helping Recca rescue Fuuko from brainwashing by Kage Hoshi. Upon the formation of Team Hokage, Kage Hoshi/Kagerou bequeaths him the Dosei no Wa, which further amplifies his already physical strength. He later receives Kuchibashi Oh, a sharp beak-like weapon attached to a long chain, and the Tetsugan, which grants him temporary invincibility.
- Amazon Chaser: The reason why he chases after Fuuko was because she constantly beat the crap out of him.
- Badass Normal: Already famous for his strength...
- The Big Guy: For a Japanese teenager, Domon is pretty damn huge!
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Charles Atlas Superpower: His strength bordered on superhuman even before he actually received Dosei no Wa.
- Delinquent: Even moreso than Recca.
- Determinator: Domon has had to deal with the stress of being the weak link of Hokage, and oddly turns out to have the most spirit and willpower of them all.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Played with. His base element is earth, but he's a melee attacker.
- Dub Name Change: His name was changed to Max Domon in the Filipino dub.
- Dumb Muscle
- Empowered Badass Normal: ...Then Kagerou bequeathed him the Dosei no Wa and he can now go toe-to-toe with the rest of Uruha.
- Hooks and Crooks: His Kuchibashi Oh add-on.
- Important Haircut: At first he has a normal Anime Hair style. To impress Fuuko, and because she told him so, Domon now sports his signature mohawk head.
- In-Series Nickname: "Ogre"
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Nigh-Invulnerability: The ability given to him by the Tetsugan.
- Took a Level in Badass: Its even lampshaded by a former enemy
Madougu: Fujin / Matsume
Voiced by: Akiko Hiramatsu (Japanese) and Onalea Gilbertson (English)Recca's tomboyish childhood rival, who always wanted to beat him so he would have to serve her. She doesn't take well to the news that Recca devoted his life to Yanagi out of his free will, so she quickly accepted Kage Hoshi's Fujin, a device which lets her control wind. Unfortunately it turns out to be spiked with a brainwashing device, and Recca and Domon had to defeat her to free her. Afterwards she becomes friendlier with Yanagi, reconnects with Recca, and starts to take Domon, who had been pining for her for years, a little bit more seriously. She also gains the Matsume, a set of needles, which she combines with the Fujin to generate sharp spikes of wind.
- Action Girl
- Adaptation Dye-Job: By default, she's brown haired. The anime changed her hair color into purple.
- Berserk Button: Never call Fuuko ugly.
- Blow You Away
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Initially, under the influence of Fujin with a mind control crystal secreted in by Kage Hoshi.
- Clothing Damage: It happens to her a lot, mainly in her first tournament bout with her opponent Fujimaru, who intentionally strips off her clothes.
- The Chick: Though of the fighting type.
- Delinquent: Like Recca and Domon, Fuuko get into a lot of fights!
- Determinator: Getting the crap kicked out of her by spiked spider tentacles? She won't quit. Repeatedly getting electrocuted by a laser beam? She won't quit. Being poisoned and getting beaten down on, only to steal the antidote at the last moment? This girl just won't quit!
- It's a trait in the past that Recca mentioned, ever since Junior High. Did she just got sick? She won't ever pass up a school day because of that.
- Dub Name Change: Known as Aira Kirasawa in the Filipino dub.
- Maybe Ever After: With Domon.
- Memento MacGuffin: After Hisui dies protecting her, Fuko fights with one of Hisui's blade to honor her memory.
- Ms. Fanservice: For a sixteen-year-old, Fuuko's pretty well endowed, and according to her, she's a D-cup.
- Stripperific: Fuuko usually wears sleeveless shirts and cutoff jeans in battle. Considering that her combat style requires sheer agility, it makes sense she tends to dress like this.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Not that she has a problem with killing itself, but people who indiscriminately and wantonly take life disgust Fuuko, as Mikoto found out.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Implied to have feelings for Recca before but she backed down when Yanagi entered the scene.
- Wolverine Claws: Adding the Matsume to her Fujin allows her to create claws of wind that can slice through steel!
- Zettai Ryouiki: Thighhigh socks + short shorts.
Voiced by: Hikaru Midorikawa (Japanese) and Paul Hunter (English)An enigmatic, handsome swordsman out on a mission to avenge his older sister Mifuyu, who was murdered right before his very eyes. Cold and calculating, he only joins Team Hokage to advance his cause, although he subsequently finds himself in a protective role towards Yanagi, who constantly reminds him of Mifuyu. He fights using the Ensui, a rapier-like Madougu which can utilize water in both its liquid, solid and gaseous states.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: He has light-blue hair in the manga, which turned to dark gray in the anime)
- Adorkable: Pretty much what he is once he learns to loosen up.
- An Ice Person: He can drop the temperature of his sword to absolute zero.
- Badass in Distress: Just seems to hit him after Ura Butou Satsujin quite a lot.
- Berserk Button: Calling him a girl, a she-man, or whatever Gender Bender insult to him will make him upset.
- Bishōnen: Frequently gets mistaken for a woman plenty of times. And he doesn't like it.
- Butt-Monkey: Ever since he "molded" with Team Hokage and started letting go of his path of vengeance, he's starting to compete with Domon for this position. Fuuko picks on him on daily basis (hits him off, kick him while he sleeps) and then for no apparent reason, fell into a trap that he could've dodged easily, which ends with him rained with taunts and ridicule by Recca and Domon.
- Child Prodigy: Tokiya mastered Hyomon Ken in seven years, and that's implied to be very impressive by his teacher. And not only that, he's a top student in school, not to mention an excellent tactician.
- Cynicism Catalyst: the death of his sister
- Deadpan Snarker
- Defrosting Ice Prince: Initially cold to everyone save Yanagi. He only joins Hokage in order to protect her, but around the second story arc, he found himself actually liking them.
- Dub Name Change: To Dylan Mikagami in the Filipino dub.
- Glass Cannon: Great offense, but poor defense.
- Heavy Sleeper: Usually sleeps in mission briefings before things get serious. Fuuko dislikes that about him.
- The Lancer
- Making a Splash
- Revenge - His early motivation, causing him to be totally ruthless and cruel. But...
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky
Madougu: Kougan Anki
Voiced by: Motoko Kumai (Japanese) and Brett Bauer (English)A young boy who originally was affiliated to Kurei's Uruha, but later sided with Team Hokage. In battle he fights using the Kougan Anki, a puzzle-like Madougu which can transform into five different forms.
- Abhorrent Admirer: He has one in the form of a homosexual, psychotic, killer, pedophile cyborg.
- Alliterative Name
- Anti-Villain: All he wants is to serve Kurei, who saved him from the life of a castaway.
- Badass Adorable
- Bling of War: He wears a gold cross and necklace.
- But Now I Must Go: In the end, despite his desire to stay with Team Hokage, he realizes that he'd be more useful by Kurei's side on his travel to the past.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Dub Name Change: To Lorkhan (pronounced as LOR-kahn) in the Filipino dub.
- Heel–Face Turn: Kaoru leaves the Uruha, and joins Hokage.
- Interrupted Suicide: As a kid, he tried to slit his wrists but Kurei stopped him. This action made Kaoru swear loyalty to Kurei and is the main reason why he can't turn his weapon on him because Kurei saved his life. Alas this is not presented in the manga.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Teen Genius: When it comes to the Kougan Anki. Any normal skilled wielder can take up to ten seconds changing its form. Kaoru can do it in a full second.
- The Smart Guy: His weapon requires him to be ingenious with puzzles, otherwise it'd be a big hindrance.
- Super Drowning Skills
- Swiss Army Weapon: His Kougan Ankin has five different forms: a naginata, a chained sickle, a pair of huge scissors, a crescent boomerang, and a bow-and-arrow.
Kage Hoshi / Kagerou
Madougu: Eikai Kyouku
Voiced by: Kotono Mitsuishi (Japanese) and Mariette Sluyter (English)A mysterious woman clad in black who stalks Recca and served as the antagonist of the first arc by way of brainwashing Fuuko with the Fujin and egging on Tokiya on his misguided quest for vengeance. As it turns out, she only did all these to test Recca's growing powers. After Recca saved Yanagi from Mori and Kurei, she ultimately reveals herself as none other than Recca's mother Kagerou, who was forced to teleport him 400 years into the future to spare him from the massacre of their clan by Oda Nobunaga — at the price of her becoming immortal. While not an active combatant for Team Hokage, she bears her own Madougu, the Eikai Kyouku, a crystal ball which acts both as a teleporter, time recorder and scrying device.
- Action Mom: She may be a retired ninja, but she will still kick your ass.
- Anti-Villain: Throughout the first arc — all this time she only wants to see how much her son has grown.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Casting a Shadow: Her madogu
- Dark Is Not Evil: She wears a lot of black, and stalks Recca in the beginning, pitting his future friends against him. Turns out, her motives were very different.
- Dub Name Change: To Emma Kagehoshi in the Filipino dub.
- Fate Worse than Death: She couldn't die, but (in the anime) neither can she touch her son.
- Lady of War
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: She pulled it off very well in the beginning. Turns out, she's really nice.
- Really 700 Years Old
- Recca, I Am Your Mother
- Team Mom
- The Mentor: Having actually been an adult back 400 years ago, Kagerou knows a lot about the madogu and Hokage history.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?
The Eight Dragons
Tropes Associated With The Eight Dragons
- My Greatest Failure: The reason the dragons haven't moved on is that they have deep regrets, for Resshin/Oka, it's Sakura's death and for Koku, it's implied either the fact he regrets that he didn't succeed in destroying the Tendo Jigoku or that his fellow madogu smith, Kaima turned evil and insane. As for the others, it's anyone's guess
- Playing with Fire: All of them have traits based in applications of fire, except Setsuna
- Our Dragons Are Different: And HOW! By appearance, only Resshin and Madoka resemble traditional dragons while the others are very alien in appearance
- Our Ghosts Are Different: All of them are actually the spirits of the previous Hokage leaders, the dragon forms implied by Resshin is to hide their identities
- Sealed Evil in a Can: At first seemed to be this, but only Setsuna truly qualifies
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: Since they're all sealed in Recca' arm
- Walking Spoiler: The true human identities of the dragons, especially Resshin are this.
- Was Once a Man: All of them were previous heads of the Hokage in their past lives
- Ki Attacks: How her attacks manifest
- Nice Guy/ Nice Girl: By far the most affable of the dragons
- Our Dragons Are Different: Resembles more of a bat with long whiskers then a dragon
- Samus Is a Girl: Was once a Kunoichi
- Blade Below the Shoulder: How his power manifest
- Facial Markings: It turns out the extra eyes are actually some sort of markings on his cheeks
- Our Dragons Are Different: Possibly the most eldritch of the dragons, resembling an eight eyed bird like creature
- Bald of Awesome: Aside from a ponytail in his true form
- Our Dragons Are Different: Very gryphon-esque in appearance with quad-beaked mouth
- Too Many Mouths: A quad-beaked mouth
- Whip It Good: How his power manifests
- Barrier Warrior: How his power manifests
- Big Fun: A very stout and jovial shinobi in his true form, though he does have some cockiness to him
- Eyes Always Closed: In true form
- Our Dragons Are Different: One of the two more traditional styled dragons, being a tri-eyed Eastern Dragon
- Ax-Crazy: A very psychotic dragon, which is shown much better in his true form as he's a savage and insane berserker.
- The Berserker: In his backstory and true form
- Blood Knight: Is described as this by Koku, but Recca's not smart enough to differentiate this and being a simple Card-Carrying Villain
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: Has eyes on his blindfold, belonging possibly to previous victims
- Even Evil Has Standards: In the final battle, he willingly lends his power to Recca to destroy the Tendou Jigoku.
- Handicapped Badass: Is blind, but makes up for it with heightened senses
- Hidden Eyes: A more frightening example, when he's ready to kill he'll open his one eye and burn the victim to death, if Recca had this mindset
- Lightning Bruiser: In his true form, he manages to lay a great deal of powerful damage while being quick and subtle enough to get behind Recca.
- Kill It with Fire: Unlike the others, it can be used to incinerate the enemy, but Recca only manages to keep its power weak enough to not cause permanent damage
- Knight of Cerebus: For the dragon training ritual, while most of the fights were easy or simply comedic, Setsuna nearly kills Recca before the latter manages to outwit him
- Our Dragons Are Different: An cyclopean dragon with a toothy maw
- Token Evil Teammate: To the dragons, being the most violent of the group, as well as the Hokage in his past life
- Absolute Cleavage: In her true form
- Latex Perfection: When creating illusions of people.
- Our Dragons Are Different: While very reptilian, its head is adorned with a floppy mane of hair
- Samus Is a Girl
- Cool Old Guy: In his true form
- Dirty Old Man: His true form
- Frickin' Laser Beams: How his power manifest
- Mr. Exposition: In his true form, especially on the Tendo Jigoku matter
- Our Dragons Are Different: A cyclopean dragon resembling a crazed ghoul
- Story-Breaker Power: An extremely powerful laser beam, which is already powerful on its own, but when combined with Nadare's multiple Energy Ball attack, it results in one of the strongest attacks in the series
- Action Dad: In true form
- Art Evolution: In both his true and dragon form
- Authority Equals Asskicking: To the dragons As well as the previous leader of Hokage
- Bait-and-Switch Boss: An Ambiguously Human creature is first implied to be Resshin, but is revealed to a clone and that Oka is the real one
- Bishōnen: Post Art Evolution, he's very handsome.
- Bumbling Dad: In his true form
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Goes into battle, despite his powers passing onto Recca, against Oda's forces
- I Regret Nothing: Seems to be played straight at first with the satisfaction of his loved ones being safe, but in actuality...
- My Greatest Failure: Not saving Sakura from suicide
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Resshin advises Recca to not tell Kagerou that he is really Oka as it would break her heart even more than his actual death when he was human and sees Shigeo as a possible new husband for her.
- Like Father, Like Son: Two ways, he's very much a Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass like Recca, but he's a Necromancer like Kurei and is not afraid to kill if he has to
- Luke, I Am Your Father: He's really Oka, Kurei & Recca's birthfather
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: How he dies
- Necromancer: His power manifests as this
- Our Dragons Are Different: A very traditional looking dragon with two large horns, but with a snout-less mouth
- Perma-Stubble: In true form
- The Stoic: Easily the most serious of the dragons
- Walking Spoiler: Even more than the others since he's Recca's dad
- Nice Guy: Easily one of the nicest fighters Recca has ever fought next to Kukai.
- Paper Master: His madogu
- Bald of Awesome
- Blood Knight: In his berserker mode.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Does this to Recca in the manga
- Gentle Giant
- Noble Demon: Fairly nice guy when he's not fighting you.
- Papa Wolf: Especially in the anime
- Power Limiter: Hits him three times and it's off, turning him into...
- The Berserker : When angered enough
Seiyuu: Rokuro Naya
- Abusive Adoptive Parents -> Archnemesis Adoptive Dad: Kurei's. They can't wait to off each other, but still manages a balance in their relationship since Mori needs Kurei to be his dragon, and Kurei wants to protect his foster mother, whom Mori has taken hostage.
- And he essentially forced Kurei to be what he is. 16 years of abuse and turning Kurei into his emotionless weapon.
- Ax-Crazy: Becomes noticeably psychotic once he gets the Tendo Jigoku
- Big Bad: of the entire series, even though he's just a normal person with disturbing desires until he absorbs the Tendo Jigoku and becomes a Humanoid Abomination.
- Body Horror: The Tendo Jigoku, mutates his body into grotesque forms of bodily deformations
- Dub Name Change: TO Augustus Mori in the Filipino dub.
- Eldritch Abomination: After he fuses with the Tendou Jigoku.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: In several places, after absorbing the Tendo Jigoku
- Gonk: Played around since the first time Recca ever see his face, soon develops from ugly to deranged via Art Evolution
- Greed: His primary character trait. He has more than any one person could ever want, but it isn't enough. He realises that his fortunate would be worth nothing if he couldn't stay alive indefinitely to enjoy it.
- He even said whenever he gets something, he immediately wants something else. His greed is totally all consuming.
- I'm a Humanitarian: One of the perks of fusing with the Tendou Jigoku.
- It's implied since his need for food and sex have merged that he's done more than just eat people.
- Immortality: His goal in the series, using Yanagi's healing powers to gain it. he ultimately gains Resurrective Immortality through absorbing the Tendo Jigoku, and still needs Yanagi to perfect it.
- which never happens.
- Moral Event Horizon: He has one in-universe (while out-universe, he has crossed it so many times before), when he gloats on Hisui's death on a crying Fuuko. At that point, Recca, who used to mock his Gonk face playfully, drops whatever 'fun' he had and only faces him with utter hatred and disgust in his face, thinking that Mori crossed the line into the worst person he's ever known.
- Rich Bastard: He's a corrupt businessman who does whatever he wants, until he absorbs the Tendo Jigoku and becomes an abomination.
- Villain with Good Publicity: That being said, his public image is a philanthropist, and he still pulled it off.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Hard to say, but definitely has black hair.
- The Man Behind the Man: To Kurei until he discarded him for losing to Recca in the tournament.
- Ultimate Life Form: Koku concludes Mori sees himself as this, as he eats humans,the top of the food chain in the natural world, plus the regeneration and the other powers he possesses.
- Ax-Crazy: He'll kill anyone and enjoy it, but he especially loves torturing and killing women.
- Bait the Dog: Mokuren seemed to be very against wanting to kill Koganei, since he was his former partner. He then immediately backstabs him.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: In almost every fight he's in, is usually ending in utter humiliation with little effort on the fighters' part.
- He manages to put up quite a fight in his last battle against Recca though.
- Defiant to the End: This man never, ever repents. Even as he dies, he curses Recca, his archenemy.
- Dub Name Change: To Gideon in the Filipino dub
- Green Thumb: His madogu's main power that is capable of producing any plant.
- Jerk Ass: One of the biggest, a large reason he becomes a couple with Mikoto is they are very alike. Doesn't stop him from killing her in the end.
- Mook Promotion: He starts out as a foot soldier in the Uruha who gets to have a little more screentime in the Urabutou Satsujin. He ends up being one of the main characters' most tenacious opponents, outliving several high-ranking fighters in the Uruha, and joins the final battle as quite the badass enemy.
- Obviously Evil: So much that even a lowlife pervert like Fujimaru of Kuu can see his Bait the Dog act from far away and draw the Even Evil Has Standards card.
- Psycho for Hire
- The Worf Effect: In every fight he's in, he loses epically with the opponent not even trying.
- He does better in his last fight, but still loses.
- Together in Death: With Mikoto. He doesn't go out quietly, but curses Recca to the very end.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Kurei shows in a very painful way why a "failure" like her can't be considered The Dragon
- Break the Haughty: She's usually happy go lucky. But her second meeting with Kurei results in a vicious beatdown, along with Kurei telling her she's a favor.
- Daddy's Little Villain: To Mori, but a little too close. Doesn't seem to understand why Aoi hates her so much.
- The Dragon: To Koran
- Mix-and-Match Man: A clone of Kurei and his dead lover Kurenai
- Playing with Fire: She's a clone of Kurei using Kurenai's DNA, so she's able to use fire. which ultimately leads her to be devoured by Tendo Jigoku.
- Pure Is Not Good: See below.
- Psychopathic Manchild: She has a young woman's body, but the mind of an innocent and batshit insane little girl.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Sibling Rivalry: She likes to think that there's this chemistry between her and Kurei (who is like an older brother to her, since she thinks of herself as Mori's daughter). Kurei, on the other hand, registers her as trash unworthy of his rivalry, as well as an insult to Kurenai's memory, and proceeds to disabuse her of this notion via a thorough curb stomp the second time they meet.
- Smug Snake: Like Mori, she thinks her flame is super powerful and is not afraid to show it off to experienced flame masters like Recca and Kurei. In actuality she's fairly weak and her flame doesn't even have a real form, which means it's no more than cheap imitation to Kurei.
- Too Dumb to Live: Overestimates her flame power and thinks she can take on Kurei. Actually meets and flaunts her ability around to Kurei, who believes the flame is a prized possession of his bloodline. Then compares herself to Kurei's dead girlfriend Kurenai and talks smack about her. She's only alive after Kurei beats the hell out of her because he wants to let Tendou Jigoku to finish the job which he does.
- Ax-Crazy: A killing fanatic. Slaughter is literally what he lived for.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: With Mori
- Dirty Coward: For someone obsessed with the idea of killing, he's keen on keeping his own existence to go forever
- Generation Xerox: He's pretty much Mori except he's obsessed with killing.
- Fusion Dance: With Mori, once he absorbs the Tendo Jigoku in order to become the ultimate madogu incarnate.
- Immortality Seeker: Same as Mori, but more obsessed with killing.
- Smug Snake: A trait shared with Mori, is overconfidence and panicking if the tide turns against him.
- Token Evil Teammate: He was once a Hokage member, but his continued killing of people, often children to test his new madogu led him to be executed by the clan.
- The Assimilator: Assimilates the lesser parts of himself to regenerate
- Ax-Crazy: Noticeably so
- Bishōnen: At first
- Bishonen Line: Goes from an eldritch Body Horror to a handsome devil man, the effect doesn't last too long
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Does this to Team Hokage, just before Recca shows up
- Dystopia Justifies the Means: Plans to make earth a living hell by killing everyone except for a few survivors to breed to repeat the cycle
- Final Boss: The chapter he appears is even called "The Last Enemy"
- Fusion Dance: Of Mori and Kaima's desires
- Hero Killer: Defeats almost all of Team Hokage and briefly causes Yanagi's death
- Knight of Cerebus: Defeats Team Hokage who were built up to be invincible to that point, and it gets worse from there
- No-Sell: Becoming fire resistant due to absorbing Renge
- Our Demons Are Different: Looks like a handsome version of Satan at first
- Playing with Fire:Due to absorbing Renge
- Satan: His appearance invokes this
- Walking Spoiler: His appearance Is what sums up the finale
- White Hair, Black Heart: At first
Kurei, Uruha and the Uruha Jyuushinshu
Seiyuu: Ryotaro OkiayuKurei is the son of Kouran Mori and for some reason he looks rather similar to Recca and able to unleash flames on his hand, only blue/purple colored. He's cold hearted and sadistic, and led an elite group of assassins, the Uruha. He's quick to reveal that he's Recca's brother from the past, being ostracized as a cursed child since he's at childhood age made him nearly assassinate the infant Recca and snuck to the present age when the Hokage was obliterated by Oda Nobunaga, ending up in the care of the kind Tsukino Mori... whose husband is a monster extraordinary. Kurei was eventually double-crossed by Kouran and nearly died, surviving thanks to his loyal subordinates and decided to take revenge by killing Kouran.
- A Father to His Men: Well most of them anyway, with the exception of backstabbers and pawns
- Aloof Big Brother: To Recca.
- Bishounen: When the mask and the creepy smile are off.
- Blood Knight: While he won't admit it, he is very excited about fighting
- But Now I Must Go: After Tendou Jigoku is defeated, he bids his companions (Raiha, Neon) farewell and travels back to 400 years ago, so that he can kill Oda Nobunaga and avenge the Hokage clan.
- Cain and Abel: With Recca.
- Cool Big Bro: To a young Koganei. He taught him martial arts and gave him madougu and all.
- Defrosting Ice Jerk: After the tournament arc he's still in pretty cool headed, but he's far more open with his own team and doesn't hide his emotions from them.
- He went through the whole defrosting thing with Kurenai before too, when her bright and cheerful personality rubbed off on him. Sadly it did not last, thanks to Mori.
- Despair Event Horizon: Crosses it many times in his life, molding him into a Jerkass Woobie.
- The Dragon: To Mori, though not by choice, until Mori pulls a You Have Outlived Your Usefulness on Kurei.
- Dragon with an Agenda: Only works to save his foster mother
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Kurei has always loved both of his mothers. He's proud of his birth mother, and he went out of his way to act polite and courteous in front of her imprisoned stepmother, preferring not to shed blood in front of her, and when he learned that Mori's men were badmouthing his stepmom behind his back... after he left his mother's sight, he puts on his Psychotic Smirk and burnt down the insulters.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Gives quite an effective one to his brother when he crosses over the Despair Event Horizon in the final act of the manga.
- Good Is Not Nice: Even after he's turned on Mori, he doesn't act like a saint.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Gave himself this after his lover Kurenai was killed by Mori.
- I Gave My Word: Say what you will about Kurei being a brutal killer, when Recca defeated him, he promised none of his subordinates would ever raise a hand to them again. And they didn't.
- Jerkass: Turns out to be a Jerk with a Heart of Gold, who has a huge Jerkass Façade.
- Jerkass Woobie: Sure, Kurei is far from nice, but to go through everything he has from the age of four, you just have to feel for him. He was stripped of his birthright for no properly proven reason, exiled with his mother to the outskirts of the village to endure ridicule and humiliation, not to mention implied violence from other children, imprisoned after trying to kill Recca in attempt to make his mother happy, oh, and his entire clan was destroyed in the span of a single night, including his father, and his mother who died protecting him. This is all at the age of four or five!
- When Kurei arrives in the future, he's adopted by a kind woman. Turns out, her husband is an utter beast! For the next twelve years, Kurei is trained to become a killing machine with no emotions to hold him back, and if he doesn't do what he is told, his adoptive mother would be killed. Then, he meets a girl, who he begins to love, but she is then killed by his adoptive father because she was holding Kurei back. That was pretty much the last straw for Kurei.
- Kill It with Fire: His main technique and unlike Recca, he does kill.
- And if he wants to, the people that he kills, he can absorb their spirits into his flame, reincarnating them as a being of fire that can't be killed under Kurei's control.
- Lightning Bruiser: Of the Hard-Hitting Speedster variety.
- Mask Power: Often wears a mask to hide his disfigured left side of his face, even it doesn't look impressive until the finals of the Tournament Arc.
- Magnetic Anti-hero: He's very popular with many Uruha members, like Raiha, Joker, Jisho, Neon, to name a few.
- Made of Iron: After he and Recca beat the ever loving tar out of each other, depleting their physical and mental energies, they fire off multiple blasts of flame that collapse an entire stadium on the both of them! He then busts out with his fists looking fine.
- Necromancer: His flame has the power to revive the souls of dead people and make them his own flame, like Kurenai and Jisho. Like father like son.
- Noble Demon: He often spares those who aren't directly involved with his goals, but if you do God have mercy.
- You get worse if you actually harm his loved ones.
- Nominal Hero: Unlike his brother, he'll happily kill, hit girls, and inflict lasting pain on anyone in his way.
- Playing with Fire: Like Recca.
- Recca I Am Your Brother
- Sixth Ranger: To Team Hokage, later on in the Manga.
- Slasher Smile: His default expression, when fighting.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Kurenai.
- Too Many Belts: On his black (red in the anime) robe outfit.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: The moment he considers exiting the battlefield for good to start a new chapter with Neon, one of Mori's underlings attacks their hiding place and injures Neon. Kurei takes that as a sign that he isn't meant to have a peaceful life, kills the mook, and leaves Neon a note wishing for her happiness before going off to settle his scores with Mori.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: After what he sees as Recca being the basic cause of all his initial troubles, Kurei doesn't want anyone finishing Recca off but him.
- The Phoenix: His flame's true form, just like his father. It explains his flame's ability to raise the soul of the dead (like Jisho and Kurenai) and transform them into part of his flame.
- The Un Favourite: While viewed by this by the Hokage council, his main reason for hating Recca's guts is that being passed over is what ultimately caused his mother's death. It turns out he is the rightful heir of the clan, it's just that he looked creepy.
- When He Smiles: Not his usual Slasher Smile, but the non-creepy kind. Even Recca admits he looks very kind.
- Worthy Opponent: To Recca.
RaihaA member of the Uruha Jyuushinshu and Kurei's most trusted right-hand man, a skilled ninja whose Adorkable attitude hides his ferocity in battle. He held the madogu Raijin, the Evil Counterpart of Fuuko's Fuujin. His loyalty to Kurei is second to none, as he is a descendant of the Hokage clan members that fled during the battle against Nobunaga instead of dying to protect the clan's honor. He saw serving Kurei as a way to atone his ancestors' shame of fleeing.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: His sword can cut through metal robots.
- Adorkable: Vey much so
- Affably Evil: Being Adorkable rather than Fun Personified like Joker
- Beware the Nice Ones: He can be a Cloudcuckoolander, but God helps you if you piss him off by being irredemably evil like Soukakusai.
- Bishounen: He's one of the three main ones for the Jyushinshu, but still noticeably male.
- He looked far more like a female before Art Evolution took place.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: What happens when he does use his madogu.
- Big Damn Heroes: To Fuuko when she's trapped by Soukakusai, and Kurei's foster mother, Tsukino.
- Chick Magnet (being a Bishōnen, he attracts a lot of girls on his tenure)
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He often acts really happy and whimsical until he uses Raijin and shows how dangerous and deadly he is.
- Enigmatic Minion: He is often on Kurei's side, but will aide Team Recca, particularly Fuko from time to time. He's got nothing on Joker on being this though.
- Friendly Enemy: To Fuuko.
- Handsome Lech (He tends to play this in front of Fuuko)
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Tends to be a clumsy guy, as shown in the Ura Butou Satsujin.
- One-Man Army: Throughout the entire tournament, Raiha defeated all his opponents. And he didn't even need to kill any of them.
- Old Shame: Technically not his. He's descended from Hokage ninjas who fled the village when it was attacked by Nobunaga instead of fighting to the death, and is very ashamed of his heritage. Kurei doesn't seem to mind about any of it though, so Raiha's happy serving him and making up for the cowardice his ancestors showed centuries ago.
- Shock and Awe: His electrical madogu, Raijin, is more of an Informed Ability, until he used it against Fuko, showing how powerful he is.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: His madogu that possesses him takes the form of a deranged kirin creature.
Seiyuu: Kaya MatsutaniA maid of the Mori house along with her little sisters Miki and Aki, at first homeless girls until they're picked up and hired by Kurei. Neon is deeply infatuated with Kurei, but realizes that she can't win his heart from Kurenai, and in turn she witnesses Kurei's fall into evil due to Kouran Mori's machinations. Feeling that she must protect him, she enrolled as an Uruha assassin, working her way up into the Jyuushinshu. She wields the soundwave-manipulating madogu, Fukyou Waon. Later, she inherits Jishou's twin swords.
- Adaptation Dye-Job (Neon has Multicolored Hair in the manga, red & black. She's 100% red haired in the anime)
- Amazon Brigade (Her team practically consists of this)
- Bodyguard Crush: She really loves Kurei, despite knowing that she has zero chance when compared with Kurenai. After she saves him from Mori and Renge he almost reciprocates her feeling, and it's implied that they made love that night. Too bad the call knows where Kurei lives..
- Evil Red Heads: Not exactly evil, but she could be very cruel to anyone who opposes Kurei, as well as a pretty mean bitch in general.
- Fiery Red Head
- Musical Assassin: Her fighting style until...
- Dual Wielding: takes Jisho's swords as a way to repay Kurei.
- Ninja Maid: To Kurei
- Onee-sama: She has LesYay implications with her two sisters, but is mostly in love with Kurei.
- Say It with Hearts (Her earlier Femme Fatale persona has this. Drops this when she gets more sympathetic)
- Show Some Leg (Her outfits sure do)
Seiyuu: Mitsuaki MadonoA man of mystery. He just appeared out of nowhere and had a fight with Jyuushinshu member Jishou to a stalemate until Kurei witnessed his skills and decided to recruit him into Uruha. Joker only joins in one condition: If he's permitted to speak so informally all the time because being formal is a pain in the ass for him. Despite his jolly attitude, he's one of the best fighters in Uruha and the most powerful. He wields the Taishaku Kaiten, a trident-formed Madogu that controls gravity. He ends up fatally wounded by Ura Uruha member Kadotsu and used his last strength to conjure a black hole that takes him with Kadotsu to some place unknown. Presumably he ended up in the world of the author's next series MÄR where, due to memory loss, he took a new name Nanashi and became one of it's heroes. Of course that's just speculation...
- Affably Evil: Being Fun Personified, he's laid back, makes a lot of amusing humor and is a pretty likable character, even though he's a bad guy
- Demoted to Extra: Joker has got to be the one suffering this trope the most in the anime. His fight with Koganei gets massively cut short (he just surrendered for no reason), he didn't appear to 'blend in' with the Hokage in the previous rounds and then massively wound Saichou to rile Koganei up for his fight and his personality gets rewritten into more The Stoic than Fun Personified. One of the reasons why the manga being called superior and Joker being a fan favorite.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He shows disgust when seeing Mikoto cheats and brutalizes Fuuko, asking Kurei whether it's right to draft her as a Jyuushinshu or not.
- Fun Personified ("It just pains me to be formal!")
- Gravity Master: His madogu, the Taishaku Kaiten can increase gravity, or decrease it, and even create miniature black holes.
- Gravity Sucks
- The Mole
- Monster Clown: More of an Affably Evil jester for Kurei.
- Obfuscating Stupidity Joker acts like a complete moron, but he's actually probably the most perceptive person in the series. Seeing through Kurei's Jerkass Façade is some mean feat!
- Peek-a-Bangs (Not using his hair, though. His eyes are always covered with his helmet, hat or hood)
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: When he first debuts, he hangs around with the heroes, and offers helpful advice that helps them win a few times. Then...something happened.
- Taking You with Me (His method of death)
- Villainous Harlequin: At first
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: He was supposedly the strongest next to Kurei, yet is killed by Magensha in the fourth round.
- Doesn't stop Kurei from resurrecting him as one of his flames in the manga.
- Informed Ability: Jisho apparently rivaled Kurei in power, according to Kaoru. He was killed before he could tell however.
- Noble Demon: He already shows signs of this when he made a protection pact for Kurei with Raiha and Neon, but later on, he's featured in the flashback with Meguri Kyouza and shows utter contempt at the thugs that personally killed Mifuyu Mikagami (when he just asked them to 'retrieve Ensui') and ignores their pleas for help as Meguri killed them in rage... and shows his condolence about Mifuyu's death before recruiting Meguri to Uruha.
- Posthumous Character: After his death and later reappearance as Kurei's flames, Jishou is fortunate enough to receive characterization via flashbacks.
- Undying Loyalty: To Kurei He is even resurrected as a flame to fight for Kurei during the fight with Recca.
- The Worf Effect: He is the original top 3 of Uruha Jyuushinshu aside of Neon and Raiha, but... Joker made himself known by fighting him to a stalemate. Then Magensha easily obliterated his team and personally killed him.
- Dirty Old Man: He gropes Neon in the anime. And even offers to let her live, if she'll be his concubine.
- Evil Genius: He's a talented doctor, and can even remove non physical diseases from a person's body with psychic surgery.
- Evil Old Folks
- Mad Scientist: Since he doesn't believe god exists, he has no problem being completely immoral.
- Master of Illusion: He can make seven clones of himself in order to fight his enemies.
- Not Quite Dead: It may have been a clone, but it still counts
- The Star Scream: To Kurei, having a grudge towards him after being beaten by him and forced into the group.
Seiyuu: Toru Furusawa
- Body Surf: How it works till the body rots away
- The Brute
- Cool Mask: It covers his skull face
- Dead All Along: He's actually just a corpse animated by a madogu.
- Grand Theft Me: How he or rather the madogu functions
- Nightmare Face: what is underneath the helmet◊
- The Virus The Bakuju destroys its victims's mind and spirit until it completely controls the body. Too bad it didn't know who it was messing with against Domon.
Seiyuu: Akio Ohtsuka
- Always Someone Better: Tokiya was this to him. Until Kai defeated him in the tournament.
- An Ice Person: His power similar to Tokiya. However, Kai has all the water in the atmosphere to use for ice.
- Anti-Villain: He's on the side of the then villain, but is clearly not evil, and demanded a fair sword fight and would not attack Tokiya while he as down and without his sword.
- Which clues Tokiya into thinking that he's not the killer of his sister.
- Ax-Crazy: His mad obsession with beating Tokiya and the use of Hyouma En which makes the user demand blood, makes him very unstable
- Dreadlock Warrior: His hairstyle is that of one.
- Evil Counterpart: Tokiya's Or Is He?
- Evil Weapon: His madogu, Hyouma En is the evil counterpart to Tokiya's Ensui. It is also a sentient sword, that demands the blood of hits victims.
- In the Hood: Initially
- Kill It with Water: Again similar to Tokiya's.
- Actually, instead of directly using water, Kai uses the moisture in the atmosphere to create ice.
- Making a Splash: Finally similar to Tokiya's.
- Master Swordsman: According to Kai and his flashback, he'd never lost a sword fight in his life, until he met Meguri Kyoza.
- The Un Favourite: Meguri Kyoza's ploy to get Tokiya stronger by injecting an inferiority complex into Kai
- Envy: His motivation
Seiyuu: Chieko Honda
- Asshole Victim: Its hard to feel bad for all the unfortunate things that happen to her. Fuuko breaking her arm, Tokiya scaring and humiliating her so hard she pees on herself, and even getting killed by her equally sadistic boyfriend don't really provoke any sadness for the way she died.
- Dark Action Girl: Not as badass as Neon though.
- Glass Cannon: Essentially, what she and her puppets are, while they can deal damage, they can't take hits well
- Jerk Ass: She's easily the biggest bitch in Uruha, which is a big reason that she falls for the biggest asshole in Uruha, Mokuren.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: In the anime at least.
- Marionette Master: Uses life sized puppets to fight for her
- Samus Is a Girl: She often hides in her puppets, having them fight for her. In fact, she hid in her first puppet for so long that people assumed that that was her real appearance.
- Smug Snake: Despite not having any of the fighting skills the others possess, she does have cunning to cheat and fight dirty against enemies while acting high and mighty.
- Stripperiffic: A short kimono showing her bare legs, it would be sexy if she wasn't such a bitch.
- Weak, but Skilled: Relies on her puppets and cunning
- The Worf Effect: Gets this since her fight with Fuko, losing to Tokiya and finally Kukai before Mokuren kills her off
- You Have Failed Me: Mokuren didn't like how she lost to Kukai
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Light World Sphere takes a small part of himself each time he uses it, eventually erasing himself from existence
- Death Seeker: As a result of killing his mother via his erasing technique
- Despair Event Horizon: Erasing his mother from existence, made more traumatic since he was a child when he did so
- The Dragon: Worked as one under Mori.
- EmotionlessBoy: He literally has no emotions, and can only express his non-feelings in physical ways.
- Lightis Not Good: Oh boy is it ever not! Rasen's madogu, the Light World Sphere, shines a light over it's intended target. And what does it do? Erase it from existence!
- Perpetual Frowner: The only one in a manga full of Slasher Smile, he's the only one never to have grinned in the entire story
- Our Zombies Are Different: Not actually a zombie, he's fully alive, but describes himself as being like the walking dead. He's living, but with no emotions, he's dead on the inside.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: As revealed in one of the back covers of one of the volumes, considering his power, it's appropriate
- Wild Card: Described as this, compared to Joker's joker.
- Affably Evil: As noted by the guy who took care of him, he always talked about his grandson and was a Cool Old Guy to be respected
- Badass Grandpa: Let's put it this way: Kurei even feared him even when he's in his deathbed.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: Had them even before joining Uruha
- Broken Pedestal: To Mikagami once he found out from Kai that Meguri was responsible for his sister's death.
- Rebuilt Pedestal: But they eventually sorted things out once they finally met and Meguri revealed to Mikagami the secrets of his family.
- Evil Old Folks: Subverted, even though he is on the bad guys' side, it wasn't by choice and even it weren't the case, he's pretty much the nicest member of the Quirky Mini Boss Squad, especially compared to Genjuro
- The Faceless: ... Until the SODOM arc, in which his face is fully seen.
- The Ghost: Referred to as early as the tournament arc, but does not make an official appearance until the final Tendou Jigoku arc.
- Mikagami I Am Your Grandfather
- Old Master: To Tokiya
- Walking Spoiler: Due to his relationship with Tokiya
- Secretly Dying
- Shrouded in Myth
- You Killed My Sister: Kai later reveals that he is responsible for the murder of Tokiya's sister.
- turns out he was merely guilty and the killer was a nameless thug working for Mori.
- Bad Boss: To his teammates
- Big Bad Wannabe
- Cool Mask: Covers his ugly face
- Crazy-Prepared: His ''body' is nothing but animated armor. Magensha's real body is not only inside a separate dimension, making it so he can't conceivably be defeated, but there's also a protection done around his private chamber, in order to further protect him.
- Dirty Coward: He doesn't even have the stones to fight himself, and bails when it looks like he could actually be defeated by Recca.
- The Mole: While he put up the facade of being under Kurei's service, he was actually working for Koran.
- You Have Failed Me: When Tsukishiro and Kashamaru fail to defeat their opponents, he sends them to an alternate dimension prison as punishment.
- He also gets this from "J" in the manga
- Weak, but Skilled: He has no actual combat power. However his madogu makes him nigh invincible unless someone can get into the dimension where his real body is. Which would be nigh impossible if the people caught in it don't decide to gang up on him
- Anti-Villain: He's not evil, he isn't selfish, he just wants to fight strong opponents.
- BIshonen: He's handsome underneath his mask
- Blood Knight: The reason he entered the tournament in the first place.
- Genius Bruiser: He's probably the Only Sane Man in Team Magensha, as well as knowing how to utilize his power
- Heel–Face Turn: After being defeated by Fuuko, Gashakura becomes an ally to Hokage.
- Epic Flail: His main weapon is a giant, 90 pound steel mace called a morning star.
- Impossibly Cool Weapon: His Evil Spider madogu is an armor that can easily deflect steel cutting attacks. But that's not even the best part. It has four tentacles that have spiked ends that he can fire out to attack his opponent and keep them off guard, making it difficult to hit him.
- Mighty Glacier: Gashakura is a huge guy, and his weapon affords him excellent offense and defense. And to avoid the backdraw of being slow, his fighting style never revolved around dodging hits in the first place.
- Noble Demon
- The Big Guy: As an ally to Team Hokage, he relies on brute strength, but is much smarter than he looks.
- Heel–Face Turn: His leader was a Bad Boss
- Killitwith Fire: His Nisebi madogu allows him to produce flames, but they are far inferior to that of an actual flame wielder.
- Ninja: Probably the most ninja like in the series which is full of Shinobi.
- Battle Boomerang: His main weapon, the Kaigetsu is shaped like one, but he claims its more of a sword.
- Berserk Button: Anyone who harms his beautiful face is probably going to get hacked into pieces.
- The Fighting Narcissist: And he never shuts up about it!
- Heel–Face Turn
- Invisibility Cloak: His Oboro madogu allows him to become invisible and attack his opponents unseen.
- The Smart Guy: He references HG Wells, and even dresses up in bandages like the Invisible Man, as well as gives a lecture to Kaoru in the middle of a fight about how light works.
- Affably Evil: She holds no malice or dislike towards anyone, and she's is friendly with the heroes, even when attacking them.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her outfit since the Sealed Lands arc
- No Hugging, No Kissing: She mentions she is nineteen years old, and others have stated she's never kissed a guy, can't watch sexual television, and is in general, the opposite of Mikoto.
- Stripperific: She tends to wear very revealing or tight fitting clothes.
- Sunglassesat Night: And in caves.
- Telepathy: Her madogu the Mind's Eye allows her to read minds. And speak for Rasen who can't do it himself.
- And a rather annoying Achilles' Heel for her, is that she is unable to filter out thoughts she doesn't want to know.
- Affably Evil: His love is genuine, but he just takes it a little too far
- Depraved Homosexual: As well as pedophile
- Heel–Face Turn:After being beaten and 'falling' for Recca, he helps both him and Kukai escape from Mokuren's lair, and called it quits from Uruha, thinking that Hokage is more fun.
- Hollywood Cyborg: Enhanced his body to not see the effects of aging
- Action Girl
- Blood Knight
- Death Seeker: She doesn't fear death and acquires an extremely reckless fighting style to suit her mentality.
- Defeat Means Friendship: With Fuko. She's even grown a bit of Les Yay for her.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: In Fuko's
- Dual Wielding
- Good Scars, Evil Scars
- The Gwen Stacy: Dying at the hands of Mori, is what motivates Hokage to beat him
- Heroic Sacrifice: She dies to protect Fuko.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Her boyfriend was on the same rigorous training program she was in. When Mori found out, he arranged for them to fight each other in the darkness while masked and gagged. Hisui killed him before knowing who he was.
- The Lost Lenore: Her boyfriend was a male version to her.
- Together in Death: With her boyfriend.
- Ambiguous Gender / Viewer Gender Confusion: He's biologically a boy
- Ax-Crazy: Very unstable due to....
- The Unfavorite: She's very disappointed at not be praised by Mori, leading her to kidnap Yanagi to win his approval.
- Envy: Her main motivation for her actions.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: She can't understand why Yanagi still considers her a friend, even after almost shooting her, forcing her to go to SODOM, and removing her memories of Recca (not that Yanagi would know the latter, obviously.)
- Heel–Face Turn: After being defeated by Recca, she and Hiruko help get Yanagi back.
- Hero Killer: She first appeared in the Sealed Lands arc, solely to deliver a Curbstomp Battle Tokiya, at that time thought to be the cruelest of the Hokage, just after he came victorious against Mokuren and Mikoto. She confirms the level of her strength at the end of the arc when Rasen called it quits and revealed the presence of the Shishiten, which would become the main enemy of the next arc, making her this trope for the Sealed Lands arc.
- Hope Spot: Hooray! Aoi's here and she can undo Yanagi's mind control, stopping Tendou Jigoku from absorbing her ...! Except that Tendou Jigoku snatches Yanagi in the middle of the process, and then Aoi's madogu breaks.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Her power.
- Stepford Snarker: "I couldn't care less about your bragging. Understand? Little miss perfect." It doesn't do well for either Aoi's or Renge's mental health.
- Madness Mantra: Sort of. The phrases "Failure", "She's a failure," "Inferior," and every other conceivable way to get that message out are always repeated in Aoi's head, since Mori views her that way.
- Nightmare Face: If you're aligned with Mori, you probably will make one at least once.
- The Mole
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Yeah, see all those female pronouns there? Aoi is actually a dude. Still, subverted that rather than being unsettled, Recca takes it that he can stop holding back.
- Villainous Crossdresser: Aoi confirms this, which leads to Recca kicking Aoi's ass
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy
- Bloody Murder: His fighting style, utilizing a heart shaped madogu on his back, he can make swords, projectiles and even a hardened fist.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: His main motivation for fighting Hokage is to see why they are so determined to save Yanagi, and to test the limits of their determination. He gets his answer by fighting Domon, who proceeds to save his life by giving him some unbroken blood bottles and telling Hiruko to live his own life, which leads to a ...
- Heel–Face Turn: After being defeated by Domon, he and Aoi help get Yanagi back.
- Hired Guns: He might be a mercenary, given his interactions and his fight with Domon. Domon calls Hiruko pathetic for fighting regardless of whether he wants to or not, causing Hiruko to retort that he's a "professional".
- Creepy Child
- Faux Affably Evil: Her interactions with the Hokage show her to be this
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Acts like this.
- Identity Amnesia: As a result of using her power far too often, she's forgotten her original name, age and appearance. She works for Mori in the hope that he will give her the file containing information about her identity.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: She can change her age.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Last we see her is when she's in Villainous B.S.O.D. on the destruction of her Madogu. She's never seen again (we don't even see her being killed). We can presume that she dies in the destruction of SODOM after Tendoujigoku's defeat.
- Ax-Crazy: Even more so than most of the Ura-Uruha, seeing as he's a Blood Knight Psycho for Hire
- The Brute: His role in the Shishiten, the english manga upped the stupidity. Also he tends to settles things in the most brutal way possible.
- Blood Knight: During the SODOM raid, he searches for strong opponents, but ends up getting a strong one, a bit too strong in Kurei.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: It is implied that he achieved this rank through mainly his brute strength,
- Cool Mask: Hides his pierced and stitched face
- Expy: Inverted, Kadotsu actually states that Magensha copied from him, rather than the other way around
- Knight of Cerebus: he ends up killing almost the entire team Ku fighting force that went to aid Recca., and his actions aren't played sympathetically]]
- Mega Manning: A Story-Breaker Power one, it can utilize almost any power the user imagines, thankfully he's not bright enough to come up with something really complex
- Psycho for Hire: Unlike the other four, he really is in it for killing and fighting
- Scary Black Man: As he is killed, we are treated a panel of his unmasked face. It has dark tones, so he's a black dude.
- Story-Breaker Power: His madogu's ability changes depending on the idea he wants to use, so long as the power can be described using some form of the kanji on his gauntlets. We only saw five though, and three were all aspects of the same thing