open/close all folders
The protagonist of the game, our heroine is a kind girl who has lost her memories and must retrieve them with the help of Orion. Despite her story and the cause of her amnesia change depending on the route, in all of them she's a first-year university student and a maid at the "Maid to Shitsuji" Café.
Voiced by: Kaori Nazuka (anime) (Japanese), Maggie Flecknoe (English)
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In the game her hair is plain light brown. In the anime she gets pink streaks at the ends.
- Amnesiac Hero
- Amnesiac Lover: The amnesiac heroine is this to whichever route she is in.
- Audience Surrogate
- Break the Cutie: Not only does the heroine have to withstand harassment, getting injured, a coma and death in several universes, in Toma's route she spends most of the time inside a cage because supposedly "she'll be safer there".
- Canine Companion: Had a dog named Kuro in Kent's route. He was hit by a car and killed prior to the start of the game, which was the cause of her fight with Kent.
- Childhood Friends: With Shin and Toma.
- Cover Identity Anomaly: A variation - she really is who she's "pretending" to be, but constantly flubbing details she's forgotten because of her amnesia.
- Extreme Doormat: In Toma's route, she's kidnapped, drugged and put into a cage by him; despite everything, she forgives him at the end, since both were in love with each other since the beginning.
- Flower Motifs: She's usually symbolized by flowers, like in the air hockey minigame. She also wears roses in her hat and her blouse.
- Freudian Excuse: In the Spade's route, the heroine used to vehemently hate Ikki and playboys like him. Before she lost her memories she would tell Ikki not to be full of himself. It was because her father was the same way.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: In the game.
- Ill Girl
- Kill the Cutie: The game has a lot of bad endings, and all of them end with her death.
- Nice Hat: The Heroine wears a black beret with a pink rose on the front, and another one the back, furthermore with a white ribbon tied underneath the latter.
- No Name Given: In the anime, she doesn't remember her name. In the game it's the only thing she remembers, but it must be chosen by the player.
- The Quiet One
- Shrinking Violet
- Too Dumb to Live: Makes some pretty downright idiotic decisions during the anime/game, for instance staying with Toma even after she learns he was drugging her and locking her in a cage.
- The Voiceless: Barely talks in the game, only during choices and a bit at the end of the routes. Her lines aren't voiced either.
The boyfriend figure of the Heart world, Shin is a 17-year-old boy who is studying to get into university. Despite being quite rude, he always tries to do the best for the heroine. In every route (except his own) and the anime he works as a cook at "Maid to Shitsuji".
Voiced by: Tetsuya Kakihara (Japanese), Houston Hayes (English)
- Brutal Honesty: Extremely blunt and will not lie to spare the heroine's feelings.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Is this in his route.
- Cruel to Be Kind: While others, such as Toma, are willing to lie to spare others' feelings, Shin comes across as cruel at times because of how incredibly blunt he is. However, he just doesn't think he should lie to make someone feel better when he could help them to improve by telling them what they did wrong. Apparently, others mistake this for issues in his and the heroine's relationship.
- Declaration of Protection: To the heroine in his route.
- Disappeared Dad
- Forceful Kiss: Gives the heroine several of these. He's pretty generous with kisses, although he doesn't like holding hands.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: As mean as he can be, Shin's heart is always in the right place.
- Luminescent Blush: Gets one whenever the heroine does something he finds cute.
- Love Triangle: In his route, has had one of these with Toma for the heroine since childhood. The heroine chose Shin, though Toma still had (unconfessed) feelings for her, and her rejection of Toma nearly gets her killed at the lodge.
- Misunderstood Loner With A Heartof Gold: His father once committed involuntary manslaughter while in a drunken fight, causing most of Shin's peers to misjudge him and treat him as an outcast. Part of the reason he cares so much for the heroine is that, even despite all the rumors about him, she and Toma stuck by him.
- Not So Different: With Toma. Both deeply care about the heroine, and both butt heads about how to best protect her, but they go about this in opposing ways. However, they both have a Cruel to Be Kind approach- Shin often seems cruel with his words, while Toma is more cruel with his actions.
- The Rival: With Toma.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Despite the "true route" being Ukyo's, he gets the centre spot (and sometimes he's the sole boy to be featured) in the games' covers. Possibly justified by Ukyo's status as a secret character, at least in the first game; obviously he can't be heavily featured in the advertising.
The boyfriend figure of the Spade world, Ikki is a 22-year-old university student in his fourth year. The most popular butler at "Maid to Shitsuji", he even has a fanclub of girls who visit him everyday.
- Affectionate Nickname: Inverted. He's called "Ikkyu" by Kent, his closest friend, but that's actually his full name. Notably, in his route, the heroine apparently has him as 'Ikkyu' in her phone.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: As a child, he wished to be popular. As a result, any woman who looks him in the eye falls in love with him.
- Blessed with Suck: See Be Careful What You Wish For.
- The Casanova
- Chick Magnet: Any woman the meets Ikki, falls for him immediately.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Talks a big game to the heroine, has a rumor-filled romantic history, and makes no shortage of innuendos, but he certainly respects the boundaries of the women he dates. Part of it may be that, as Kent notes, Ikki seems to use physical affection as a substitute for actual romantic attraction.
- Cool Shades: Wears them to try to keep his fangirls away.
- Curtains Match the Window: Light blue hair with blue eyes.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": His real name is Ikkyou, but everyone goes by Ikki.
- Hair Decorations: He wears a spade-shaped clip.
- Hidden Depths: In spite of his reputation, he is a surprisingly nice and considerate guy. He also likes math, and is studying to be an accountant.
- Hypnotic Eyes: How his Chick Magnetism works, and beyond his control. He has to wear sunglasses to avoid being constantly mobbed, which itself has only limited success.
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: In his route. See Be Careful What You Wish For entry above.
- Instant Fanclub
- Lady Killer In Love: In his route.
- Odd Friendship: With Kent. Many of their interactions seem as though they're going to fight each other to the death, which the heroine herself lampshades. Though they have several things in common, such as their liking for math, a good part of their friendship (at least at first) was out of Kent's curiosity about Ikki's 'condition', which goes against his sense of reason. However, they clearly both care about each other, and Kent is one of Ikki's only true friends.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Since (almost) everyone who looks into his eyes falls in obsessive love with him, he's extremely isolated from actual friendly interaction. Also, his Instant Fanclub is a legitimate risk to what few friends he has.
- Technicolour Eyes: In the anime, his eyes are switched to a weird mixture of pink and blue. (This is present on his sprite in the game as well, though it is much hard to notice unless you look very closely at his eyes.)
- Unwanted Harem
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Kent.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Ikki has light blue hair.
The boyfriend figure of the Clover world, Kent is 25 years old and the heroine's tutor. He likes math problems and believes everything can be resolved by logic.
Voiced by: Akira Ishida (Japanese), Tyler Galindo (English)
- Affectionate Nickname: Is called "Ken" by Ikki.
- Ambiguous Disorder: His complete lack of social skills seems to indicate this. Apparently, it's genetic.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With the heroine, prior to her amnesia.
- The Big Guy: He's considerably taller than the other guys.
- Brutal Honesty: Doesn't see the need to sugarcoat things - it would be inefficient, after all.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Has to practically bow to kiss the heroine when standing.
- I Kiss Your Hand: One of his CGs in the first game.
- Lack of Empathy: What triggered his pre-game conflict with the heroine. He grows out of it over the course of his route.
- No Social Skills: He has little clue of how to talk normally to people, as he always thinks through cold logic.
- Odd Friendship: With Ikki (see his entry).
- Shared Family Quirks: Both of his parents share his ultra-rational outlook.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: He's the tutor of the heroine's study club and is shown to like puzzles and mathematic problems.
- The Spock: Everything Kent does is with an extremely logical approach, which serves to distance others from him, for the most part. He's much more concerned with logic than emotion, though throughout his route he lets more of his feelings through in his interactions with the heroine.
- Spock Speak: His manner of speaking makes liberal use of technical terms, making some of what he says difficult to understand. He also speaks quite formally a lot of the time, though he at least understands sarcasm.
- Too Many Belts: His usual outfit.◊
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Ikki.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Downplayed. The edges of his hair are green, but most of his hair is brown.
The boyfriend figure of the Diamond world, Toma is a 20-year-old university student at his second year. He's also a butler at "Maid to Shitsuji", and cares deeply about the heroine.
- Big Brother Mentor: Has this attitude toward Shin and/or the heroine, depending on the route.
- Childhood Friends: With Shin and the heroine. In the latter case it can turn into a Childhood Friend Romance.
- Cruel to Be Kind: He certainly wants to protect the heroine and make life easier for her. Of course, he goes about this by drugging her food, isolating her from others, and locking her in a cage in his home at one point. One dialogue option has the heroine ask if he hates her because of this behavior.
- Creepy Shadowed Undereyes: The most obvious visual cue that his Yandere tendencies have been triggered is when he suddenly has these.
- Curtains Match the Window: Blonde hair with yellow eyes.
- Gilded Cage: He thinks the cage he forces the heroine to live in is this: it's full of cute plushies he's specially bought for her, and he stills lets her go to the bathroom and wash herself as long as he keeps an eye on her.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a black headband.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Professes that he's The Worst and has no redeeming qualities outside of his good looks.
- The Kindnapper: Keeps the heroine prisoner having decided it's the only way to protect her.
- Lying to Protect Your Feelings: One of the main points of contention between him and Shin, re: how to treat the heroine. Toma will always lie if he thinks it will keep the heroine happy.
- Maskof Sanity: Possibly. He appears in every route and seems quite reasonable and normal in most of his appearances, at least before he shows how unstable he is in his own route. Aside from his own route, though, he doesn't show many hints of insanity except perhaps toward the end of Shin's route, which suggests he may just be good at hiding his instability. One bad ending in Ukyo's route also has him slip up.
- The Rival: With Shin.
- Stepford Smiler: Has elements of this. He's typically cheery and helpful, though in moments where his behavior gets extreme, his smile is prone to slipping.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: In his mind, he feels like he's this when he goes to great lengths to keep The Heroine safe.
- Yandere: To the Heroine.
The boyfriend figure of the Joker world. A 24-year-old photographer who seems to know the heroine, but remains distant in all the other routes.
Voiced by: Kouki Miyata (Japanese), Patrick Poole (English)
- Be Careful What You Wish For: He made a wish to (Orion's superior) Neil to save the Heroine's from death and for him to be able to be with her again at the cost of her not remembering him. The problem is that even if he lets her be happy with another man, the wish cannot be fulfilled and Ukyo remembers every world the Heroine dies by his hand or fell in love with another man and dies in her place because their existence in the same timeline is an anomaly.
- Camera Fiend
- Creepy Shadowed Undereyes: When his evil side takes over.
- Cryptically Unhelpful Answer: He wants to help the heroine, but whenever he tries to warn her he usually ends up just vaguely confusing and terrifying.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Despair Event Horizon: Experiencing his own and the heroine's death for what could be years has brought him way beyond this
- Earn Your Happy Ending: In his route, Neil leaves his body and grants Ukyo and the heroine a happy ending together.
- Evil Eyebrows: Usually has these when his dark side is "driving."
- Flip Personality
- Groundhog Peggy Sue: This is done by Neil as he needed Ukyo's wish to come true to gain back his powers after the conditions were fulfilled.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: In every other route except his own, he dies to let the heroine have her happy ending with another man.
- Important Haircut: Cuts his hair in the Wedding segment in CROWD.
- Jekyll & Hyde: Ukyo, as a side effect of going through so many worlds where either he or the heroine died. His Hyde personality tries to constantly kill the heroine, but even then the personality still admitted he loves her.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Love Martyr: Literally.
- Nice Hat
- Nice Guy: When he is not trying to ruthlessly murder you.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Secret Character: His route is unlocked after finishing the other four. However, he appears in all of them as a side character.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Ukyo and the Heroine at a cosmic definition. One of them has to die as neither of them are suppose to exist together after the Heroine is fated to die from the injuries she sustained in her university's fire. Luckily, Ukyo's wish to Neil was granted when the Heroine survived after her fated death day in their original world and was able to be with Ukyo.
- Walking Spoiler: He was one of the major reasons why the Heroine has amnesia.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Ukyo has green hair.
A spirit from the dream world who can only be seen and heard by the heroine. He thinks it's his fault that she lost her memories, so he helps her in that quest.
- Ascended Extra: Gets his own route in LATER.
- Audience Surrogate: Even more than the heroine!
- Horned Humanoid: Orion has two black horns with two yellow rings around both.
- Mission from God: He didn't meet the heroine by chance, as he was given the quest of finding his creator, the leader of the spirits Neil.
- Mystical White Hair: Orion's hair is light grey, almost white. In the anime it's plain grey.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Despite his human appearance, he's actually an spirit from the dream world.
- Spirit Advisor
The heroine's best friend, a lively university student who studies at the same university as the heroine. She also works as a maid at "Maid to Shitsuji".
Voiced by: Satomi Moriya (Japanese), Allison Sumrall (English)
- Ambiguously Gay: At least in the anime. She visits the café in a route where she isn't an employee to flirt with the Heroine, seems a little betrayed when she likes Ikki (and may subtly be trying to influence her away from him despite not showing any interest in him herself, unlike Mine), and is really happy about the high female to male ratio on one of the trips. Some viewers who never got to play the game speculated that she may have been a Gay Option.
- Book Dumb: She seems to struggle with writing her report for university.
- Genki Girl
- Hair Decorations: Wears two flower hair-clips.
- The Klutz: Tends to make mistakes in the routes where she works at Meido no Hitsuji and one of her transition C Gs has her tripping with a cup of tea.
- Passionate Sports Girl: She's in several sport clubs.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Mine's girly girl.
- Tomboyish Ponytail
A co-worker of the heroine at "Meido to Shitsuji" and a bit younger than her. She has a bubbly personality and is also a member of Ikki's fanclub.
Voiced by: Kana Akutsu (Japanese), Molly Searcy (English)
- Curtains Match the Window: Pink hair and pink eyes.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a butterfly decoration in her bun.
- Likes Older Men: In Ikki's route, she and Sawa find the middle-aged lodge owner very attractive. And, in Kent's route, she has a crush on Waka.
- Long Hair Is Feminine
- Pink Means Feminine
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: In certain routes. In others, she's more of a rival to the heroine, though she's always at least somewhat concerned for her well-being.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Sawa's tomboy.
- Valley Girl: Talks like this in the anime's English dub.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Mine has pink hair.
The boss at Meido to Shitsuji. His most remarkable feature is that his personality changes on each route.
Voiced by: Hidenori Takahashi (Japanese), Jay Hickman (English)
- Ascended Extra: Got his own route in LATER.
- The Casanova: In Shin's route.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Ikki's route.
- The Quiet One: Kent's route.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Toma's route.
- Troll: Shows hints of this in Ukyo's route, when he makes up an elaborate sob story about why he subscribed to a certain magazine.
She is the head of Ikki's fanclub. A sarcastic and aristocratic woman, her obsessive love for Ikki puts her at odds with the heroine.
Voiced by: Yoshida Seiko (Japanese)
- Alpha Bitch: She becomes a Lovable Alpha Bitch in Ukyo's world thanks to being friends with the heroine.
- Curtains Match the Window: Blond hair and gold eyes.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Seems to be her general strategy in routes where she thinks the heroine is trying to steal Ikki's attention from her and his fan club. She succeeds in more than one bad ending, albeit she never directly murders the heroine.
- Nice Hat: On her head, Rika wears a large flat hat with black-and-pink stripes, save for the thin crown near the center of the headgear. To the right of the crown is a white fur-like pelt that barely falls over the other end of the hat. Underneath her hat is a black hairband which Rika uses to push her bangs away from her face. Attached to this black hairband is an identically colored ribbon, which falls slightly over her forehead.
- Ojou: Implied to be one.
- Yandere: To Ikki. In Spade's Route, she appears to have a grudge against the Heroine since she been dating him longer and she makes a threat that she shouldn't consider of Ikki as hers, and if she forgets, she will kill her, albeit with a dark expression. She almost did so in Bad Ending, where she tried push the Heroine off a cliff in a maniacal fit of wrath.