A use of Through His Stomach
, with an excuse to get physically close to the Love Interest
One person puts food into another's mouth as a romantic gesture. Very frequently, the feeding character will say a variant of "Say 'AAAH'" to the one that is being fed. The sensual aspects of the feeding get emphasis (doing it slowly, with a hand cupped under the other person's chin, maybe letting a fingertip linger in the recipient's mouth...you get the idea).
Often an action of Sickeningly Sweethearts
Compare Sweetheart Sipping
, Indirect Kiss
, Chocolate of Romance
, or Erotic Eating
. Spaghetti Kiss
is a related trope.
Anime and Manga
- In Princess Mononoke, when Ashitaka is injured and can't feed himself, San tries to put a strip of dried meat in his mouth. When he turns out to be too weak even to chew it, she takes it back, chews it up herself, and gently spits it into his mouth in a kiss. Slightly squicky but totally played as romantic.
- Played with in Berserk: Schierke tries to feed a bedridden Guts this way, but realizes what it looks like (she has a very obvious Precocious Crush on him), panics, and Guts end up with a bowlful of very hot soup to the face.
- Appears in episode 5 Infinite Stratos where Ichika ends up with his entire harem trying to feed him at once. The solution was to have everybody feed each other.
- Parodied in Fairy Tail chapter 545.5. Juvia tries to invoke this by spoon feeding her beloved Gray, but he, already oblivious to her affections, is even more put off by how horrible the food is.
- In Bamboo Blade, there is a scene where Dan and Miya do this to each other (one of them using chopsticks, the other fork) in the schoolyard during the lunch pause.
- Spoofed and subverted in Naruto: Sakura offers to feed Naruto while his arm is out of commission, but Sai kills the mood by offering to feed him as well. Long story short, Kakashi is the one who ends up feeding Naruto.
- Played with in the film Ever After. The pretty stepsister invokes this—the prince goes to hand her a treat (we find out later it's chocolate), and she closes her eyes and opens her mouth suggestively. The prince is obviously not aroused, and actually looks a little disturbed by it, but he feeds it to her.
- Done in Miao Miao with a chicken foot, which turns out much cuter than it sounds.
- Parodied in Hot Shots!! Part Deux, where Topper and his gal feed each other. At one point Topper fries an egg on her belly.
- In Nine And A Half Weeks the two lead characters feed each other in front of an open refrigerator as foreplay.
Live Action TV
- A couple of examples in the Deryni books:
- Duke Jared McLain and Lady Vera Howard are seen feeding each other during a banquet in Childe Morgan.
- Princess Janniver and Sir Jatham Kilshane spoonfeed each other during their wedding banquet in King Kelson's Bride.
- Late in King Kelson's Bride, Princess Richelle Haldane is seen feeding grapes to her fiance Brecon Ramsay while they're on a hunting trip with other members of their families.
- How I Met Your Mother:
- In "Slutty Pumpkin", Marshal and Lily are dressed in matching Halloween outfits and share dinner — Lily spoonfeeds Marshal. They later also share a dessert.
- Robin is reluctant to do any lovey-dovey stuff with Mike in "Slutty Pumpkin". Mike wants her to taste his chicken, but she refuses and defies the trope. Lily tells her she should be more girlfriend-like and she attempts to share her sundae, but she likes it too much, so it doesn't really work out well.
- In "Something Blue", Marshal and Lily try to feed each other at their wedding with the cake. Lily is completely drunk and sees Marshal's face twice or thrice, and she falls down.
- When Ted dates Cathy, a girl that talks too much (her annoying habit which he only realized when others pointed it out), they are shown cooking together in their being-in-love montage. Ted spoon-feeds Cathy.
- In the episode "Convalescence" of Murdoch Mysteries, Mrs Jones, a pretty young widow, takes an opportunity and she spoon-feeds the sick and injured Detective Murdoch whom she came to visit.
- In My Family, an older man feeds his young girl-friend when they have formal dinner in a restaurant. Megan, the older guy's wife, tries to top him and make him jealous, so she asks Ben (who plays her lover for the evening) to spoonfeed her as well. Ben is a bit clumsy, though, and it's very awkward.
- In one scenario of the What If? episode on The Big Bang Theory, Raj and Howard share a dessert and Raj cleans Howard's mouth with a napkin. It's yet another joke at their friendship which resembles a couple in love. Howard is disturbed, but Raj is delighted ("That is so us!").
- In Ready Or Not, Busy's oldest brother and his fiancée sit close together at the table, shareíng one meal and spoon-feeding each other in an episode close to their wedding.
- In one episode of Nurse Jackie, an old guy refuses to have a heart operation because it would only make him feel more sick even though he knows he's dying. His beloved wife spoon-feeds him with her super tasty and super healthy chicken soup.
- In Sex and the City, Harry buys Chatlotte some icecream dessert and she eats it while they walk on the street. She offers him a bit on a spoon and he later takes another bite from the cup.
- In The Sims 2, one of the romantic interactions available when characters are eating at a table together is "feed a bite". The Sim initiating the interaction takes food off his/her own plate with the fork, and offers it to his/her partner. The partner either accepts it, which improves their relationship score, or is disgusted, with predictable results.
- Jam is shown trying spoonfeeding the target of her affections, Ky Kiske, in her third Guilty Gear XX story ending, having taken a nervous Ky on a picnic and attempting to feed him heart-shaped chocolates with her chopsticks.
- In Sonichu, Punchy Sonichu feeds a french fry to Layla Flaaffy while they're eating together at McDonald's.
- Parodied on Family Guy when Peter realizes the fatter Lois is the more turned on by her he gets.
- Invoked by Helga on "Hey Arnold!" when she was faking having amnesia and pretending not to know how to use a spoon, prompting Arnold to help by feeding her. Helga is secretly infatuated by this while the other kids who are watching from afar are disgusted.
- In "Adventure Time" when Finn is trapped in a dream, he is at a picnic table being spoon fed by his girlfriend, Flame Princess. "Open wide, honey. EAT IT NOW!!
- A part of wedding traditions in some cultures. During the dinner, bride and groom feed each other, sometimes with cake or the main course. Suffice to say, both are usually so nervous that they can barely eat anything.