Film: Miao Miao
"Doesn't cake just make life sweet? Doesn't matter if it's sour, bitter, or sweet. Just looking at it makes you happy."
— Xiao Ai
Miao Miao (渺渺) is a 2008 Taiwanese film by director Hsiao-tse Cheng. It tells the story of high school girl Xiao Ai, shy Japanese exchange student and titular character Miao Miao, and moody shop owner Chen Fei. Along the way is a lot of love, melancholy, and baking.
Miao Miao contains examples of:
- Air Voyance
- All Love Is Unrequited
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Ai has one of these to Miao Miao as her plane is flying away.
- Beautiful Dreamer: Miao Miao.
- First Love: The main theme of the movie.
- Holding Hands: Happens a lot between Ai and Miao Miao. Ai comments that Miao Miao has "sunshine hands".
- High School
- Inept Talent Show Contestant: Ai and her friends are bad at baking. That doesn't stop them from entering the baking competition anyways, to predictable results.
- Posthumous Character: Bei
- Queer Romance
- Race for Your Love: Ai runs after Miao Miao as her plane is taking off to go back to Japan. She doesn't catch her in time.
- Romantic Spoonfeeding: The chicken foot.
- The Lost Lenore: Bei, for Chen Fei