(a.k.a. ruining your life.)
:the game: is a VERY violent, bloody, hilarious, and, most of all, Bloody Hilarious game on Newgrounds about... well... life. Kind of. There's not really any plot to speak of until the third game, and for most of the time, it runs on Vulgar Humor, though the games are a frequent vehicle for political commentary. It later received a sequel called Replaying :the game:. The first and second games are VERY simple: Jump off a ledge. That's it, barring the odd minigame. Each level has you do so with a different theme, such as art, or open source. The only real variables is the character, and the background. Occasionally, you get a cut scene. They are very tasteful and wholesome. And funny.
The third game is right here, Reimagining :the game:. This one actually has a plot... kind of. You jump off a cliff, and land in another world. Then, Lady Gaga, the cast of Toy Story 3, Apple, and even freaking Paul Vasquez (AKA the Double Rainbow Guy) all do... their thing. Then, the head of BP causes an oil spill, which he uses to land in an incinerator. Then Zalgo posesses him, and tries to kill everyone. Chell of Portal, Paul Vasquez, Barack Obama and Julian Assange of WikiLeaks, Justin Bieber and Edward Cullen of Twilight, the Angry Birds, and Airport Security and the TSA all team up. Then, you use the power of jumping off a cliff to kill him. His explosive death is so epic that everyone dies.
The official site is here.
TROPING :the game:
AKA Add examples here:
- Art Evolution Reimagine has a more defined cartoon art style than the two preceding games.
- Author Tract: Occasionally, notably Toy Story 3.
- Auto-Tune: Parodied with Kesha before she fuses with the smoke monster.
- Background Boss: The final boss of Reimagine.
- Bloody Hilarious: As mentioned above, the game pretty much runs on this.
- Cut-and-Paste Environments: Deconstructed. Subverted in Reimagine.
- Double Jump: Or rather, "Double Rainbow Double Jump", with YosemiteBear and Katy Perry.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: The end of Reimagining.
- Eldritch Abomination: The final boss.
- Every Episode Ending: Every episode ends with big red text and small white text.
- Eyed Screen: Present in the first game's "Shooting Lawyers in the Face".
- The Faceless: Everyone (except when they need to talk or emote).
- Final-Exam Boss: The last stage of Reimagine.
- Foreshadowing: The Boss's eye is visible as a sun in the social media levels of Reimagining.
- Glasses Pull: Parodied in Replaying. Horatio does a CSI Miami style one-liner for every character who died in Hamlet, but he doesn't take off any of the glasses he put on, resulting in him wearing glasses on glasses on glasses. For the final one-liner, he drops a giant ball of glasses from the air.
- Good Night, Sweet Prince: Said by Horatio himself in Replaying, with a Glasses Pull in between.
- The very intro of the first game puts this on full throttle by depicting a violent fight scene between a group of green characters (which don't actually appear in-game)... for a few seconds, just to be paused.
- The "Gun Control" level in Replaying is full of this; especially at the second-to-last enemy, whose head literally explodes and unleashes a massive blood fountain after killing him with a very long streak of bullet hits.
- "Apocalypse 2012" from the same game: every death releases several organs, which just float around.
- While the characters and their deaths are much more cartoonish in Reimagine, this one is still present; death on various platformer levels (usually achieved by touching the Unicorn Horns of Doom) causes characters to violently bleed. The blood is affected by gravity, and colors unicorn horns red.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every level is called "[Insert Subject Here] :the game:" AKA [insert witty comment here]. The third game drops the "AKA" but keeps the witty comment.
- Jump Scare: The "Supernatural Claims" level in the first game ends with a rather loud and sudden one.
- Mayan Doomsday: The "Apocalypse 2012" level in Replaying, specifically using Planet X as the cause.
- Rage Quit: Sarah Palin does this in Replaying.
- Screamer Prank: The "Supernatural Claims" level in the first game. It's basically a Flash animation of Pac-Man contemplating the purpose of his presence in the maze, and what it stands for.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: In the level "Pacifism". Just about to fall off-screen, the character suddenly stops in mid-air and starts a to point out that after 37 deaths the game gets pretty stupid and gets fed up with everything, promptly leaving.
- Send in the Clones: After unlocking all of the achievements in Reimagine, you can not only fully customize a character, you are also granted the option to replace every character in the game with that particular one.
- Shout-Out: Plenty, some of which are more subtle than others.
- Something Completely Different: The third game is much more challenging than its predecessors.
- Spikes of Doom: Represented herein by unicorn horns, their unusual appearance is lampshaded by the Hippie. Partially justified, as "Rainbows" is the first level these appear in.
- Unicorn horns everywhere!
- Stylistic Suck: Some levels in :replaying: bring up how the creator is running out of ideas. One of the levels even has an AKA reading "the level that's not as intelligently designed."
- Webcomic of the Game: Faceless & Hopping.