Nothing to Hide is a 'Anti-Stealth' game by Nicky Case AKA NutcaseNightmare. The game's premise is simple; you play a teenage girl called Poppy Gardener in a dystopian future United States in which everyone is constantly watched by the government. In this future, devices called the iEye watch people and you must be in sight of the cameras at all times. If you step out of sight even briefly you will be "tranquilized", because only criminals would go out of the sight of cameras as only criminals have something to hide. Every moment is also put up onto a Facebook-like knock-off called "The Wall", whether or not you wanted to. However, what happens to Poppy herself depends on the game version.
In the demo, Poppy Gardener is the daughter of the president, who is in complete control of the US and the upcoming unsecret ballot (which, like everything, is revealed to everyone) will win him another term. His daughter, who you could say suffers the most, decides to run away in order to escape, despite needing to be watched by the iEyes at all times. She eventually comes across Nobody, a young boy and rebel who found a way to remove himself from the The Wall, and with an app he created, Poppy too becomes "nobody".
In the originally planned game, the story is flipped around. Here, Poppy is instead the daughter of a poor man who has his and his daughter's life turned into a DomCom against their will, allowing anyone at any time to tune in and see their horrible life. To earn privacy, one must be incredibly powerful, and the story will focus on Poppy basically having a Downer Ending as she will lose everything.
However, the development of the game has been unfortunately stopped. (Though the creator states they do intend to make the game, it won't be anything like what was planned.)
This video game includes examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Poppy's dad in the demo is one, more interested in using his daughter as a campaigning tool than actually raising her. One of their "Daddy-Daughter Moments" involves him slapping Poppy awake in the morning, for example, and the demo opens up with him asking her to post 400 pictures of her smiling.
- Big Brother Is Watching: The government has cameras planted everywhere and the citizens themselves have to aid in their own surveillance, move around cameras to keep in sight of them and posting everything they say or think onto 'The Wall'.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Poppy's demo dad is, as noted above, incredibly abusive toward his daughter, but his political ads instead portray him as a patriot and a devoted father.
- Cool Mask: 'Nobody' wears a full-face mask depicting the (^_^) emoticon.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Poppy's eyes and hair are the exact same shade of red.
- Fascist, but Inefficient: The government, due to the number of cameras being nowhere near enough to monitor everything constantly, has to have its own citizens help them spy on themselves.
- New Media Are Evil: The government's primary spying tool outside of it's many cameras is a blatant clone of Facebook and other social media sites called The Wall.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: 'Nobody' is only ever referred to as that.
- Orphaned Series: The creator does intend to make the game, but not at all the same, and as far as the originally planned game goes, this is the result.
- Propaganda Machine: The government pastes propaganda and 'The Wall' posts onto nearly every wall.
- Red Filter of Doom: The screen turns red and a alarm is sounded if you step out of sight of the cameras.
- The Runaway: Poppy's demo goal at the start of the game is to run away to Canada.
- Stealth-Based Game: Inverted, the goal of each level is to get to the exit while remaining in sight at all times.
- Stepford Smiler: Poppy is seen smiling in various in-game political advertisements and her own web posts. To say she looks off in these images is an understatement.
- You Are Number 6: Parodied in the trailer, which introduces Poppy as 'Citizen Number Something'.