Not the Robots is a video game first published in 2013 by tinyBuild and developed by 2Darray. In it, the player assumes control of a robot and attempts to sneak through a series of office buildings while avoiding numerous hazards such as lasers and sentry bots. As the player gains experience, new hazards, tools, and audio logs unlock, increasing the complexity of the maze and revealing the story behind the deserted offices.
Not the Robots contains examples of:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: The story begins with a developer working on a sentient A.I. installing two versions of the A.I. and subjecting them to different conditions. One becomes quietly depressed, the other extremely hostile.
- Big Brother Is Employing You: Solar Group spies on its own employees and keeps logs on those that seem to be dissatisfied with their job. The company's marketing group was also developing software for highly personalized coupons that seemed just a tad too specific for customers comfort.
- Critical Existence Failure: Until the robots hit points reach zero, it is just as fast and mobile as when it starts.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Sentry bots, laser turrets, laser walls, sensor bombs, superheated floor vents, etc.
- Extreme Omnivore: To progress, the player has to absorb enough fuel. Fuel in this case is any furniture lying around the abandoned office: plants, couches, monitors, etc.
- Killer Robot: The sentry bots patrolling the offices open fire on anything they see.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: The final boss is a robotic combination vacuum-lawnmower-oven.
- Story Breadcrumbs: Audio logs are unlocked as the player gains experience from clearing levels.
- Suspicious Videogame Generosity: The room before the final boss fight has no hazards, and enough health items to bring you up to maximum health no matter how low it currently is.