The plot (as told by Challenge Mode) is that the main cast has gotten into playing baseball recently, including Bowser, who challenges the main characters to face his team. Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Wario accept this challenge and form their own teams, all itching to prove to the others and Bowser that they're the best baseball team around.
Page is a work in progress!
Mario Superstar Baseball provides examples of:
- The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard: During the harder levels.
- Kill It with Fire: Both Mario and Luigi's Star Skills engulf the ball in flames.
- Mini-Game: There's 7 minigames, one for each stadium plus Toy Field:
- Mario Stadium: "Bob-omb Derby", a home-run derby with firework-loaded Bob-ombs instead of baseballs.
- Peach Garden: "Wall Ball", where four players pitch the ball to try and break a line of walls for coins.
- Yoshi Park: "Piranha Panic", in which four players have to throw colored eggs and Bob-ombs at the matching Piranha Plants (or, with Bob-ombs, each other).
- Wario Palace: "Chain Chomp Sprint", where the players run around the bases collecting gems and must stop or be penalized when the sleeping Chain Chomp in the center wakes up.
- Donkey Kong Jungle: "Barrel Batter", a puzzle game where a lone player tries to break clusters of colored barrels by hitting the ball at them.
- Bowser Castle: "Star Dash", where four players run around collecting coins and helpful powerups while dodging Thwomps.
- Toy Field is a Mario Party-esque turn-based game where the players bat, pitch, and field (who does what depends on how each turn plays out) on a special field to earn coins.
- Petal Power: Daisy's Star Skill covers the ball with flowers.
- Power Fist: Donkey Kong uses a boxing glove to hit the baseball.
- The Power of Love: Peach's Star Skill obscures the ball with hearts.
- Ship Tease: Mario has good chemistry with Peach, while Luigi has good chemistry with Daisy.