Cross Edge (sometimes stylized as X Edge) is a Massive Multiplayer Crossover Tactical RPG developed by Idea Factory and Compile Heart. It was released in 2008 for the PlayStation 3, and published in North America by Nippon Ichi and by Koei in European territories. It is the first Capcom crossover outside of the Marvel and SNK games to be ported to American shores.
A character sheet is in the making. Please keep it to Cross Edge-original characters.
Characters and series represented in Cross Edge:
- Atelier series: Marie
- Darkstalkers: Morrigan (your first playable ally), Felicia, Demitri, Lilith, Jedah
- Disgaea: Etna, the Prinnies
- Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia: Lyner, Ayatane, Aurica, Misha, Shurelia, Bourd
- Mana-Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy: Raze, Lily, Reicher
- Spectral Souls: Zelos, Meu
- Original to Cross Edge: York, Miko, Troy, Vivi, Mimi, Cece, Lazarus, Raizen, Anesha, Judas, Augustine
Tropes used in Cross Edge:
- An Ice Person:
LilyWhim, of Mana Khemia 2, has incredible icy abilities, but of course... She is a water Mana.
- Anime Theme Song: "Blade of Tears".
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The post-game after the true ending is savagely guilty of this.
- Character Select Forcing: During certain event battles (such as when you come across new allies), you have to use certain characters to fight.
- Cool Big Sis: How Morrigan is portrayed towards Lilith.
- Combat Medic: Aurica is the first one you obtain. Misha, Marie, Miko, Vivi and Mimi soon follow, but the former three need to level up certain skills to access their healing techs.
- Combination Attack
- Combos: The bread-and-butter of the game is its ability to unleash combos that dish out multiple hits per action.
- Downloadable Content: Surprisingly, a good chunk of it is free.
- Dumb Is Good: This game seems to have cemented Felicia's Ditzy status for good.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: Prinnies, dood!
- Fanservice: Lots of it, it has several hot springs scenes in there among all things.
- F--: Particularly bad battle ranks go below F and go straight into G, H, and I territory.
- Gun Fu: York, Lazarus, and Zelos qualify but York more so than the other two.
- Item Crafting: You'll need to use this often to create new weapons and items.
- Jerkass: York, to everybody except Miko.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: If you ever played this game, you should at least have a knowledge or at least have beaten Ar tonelico because it WILL spoil Shurelia's true identity and her lack of direction.
- Also spoiled: Adult Misha's appearance, and the fact that Ayatane is a traitor.
- Leaked Experience
- Lethal Joke Item: The Chicken Emblem. At first, it sucks so bad that you want to get rid of it right away. But if you upgrade it fully, not only will it become one of the best items in the game, it will also make you combo like crazy! Perfect for many bosses. The problem? You steal it from Lujit.
- Level Grinding: You will find yourself doing a lot of this before traveling between areas.
- Less over time, as the enemies start yielding crap tons of exp. The first area barely gives 12 at best on standard. The second? Well over 40. If you did Level Grind and accumulate TP to upgrade weapons, you have just reached the point of abusing your ability to upgrade stuff.
- Limit Break
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- Manchild: Felicia, via Flanderization. One of the game's "missions" consists of catching a fish for her to eat because Felicia suddenly throws a tantrum.
- Original Generation: A bunch.
- Permanently Missable Content: The "True End" is guilty of this, with requirements such as only defeating certain enemies in certain boss fights, NOT defeating certain enemies in certain boss fights, defeating enemies in boss fights that usually end automatically after a certain period of time, or triggering events in previous areas of the game that are only available for a small window of time, give no indication to the player when they become available, and typically disapear forever if the player continues with the main story without finding them. Parts of this are made easier by a New Game+, but other parts remain even then. This game also introduced us Idea Factory and Compile Heart's love for this trope.
- Rank Inflation: Your end-of-battle reward multiplier depends on how well you perform and how hard your opponents are. These go as high as "S" to A, B, C, D, E, F, and ''below'' that.
- Sean Connery Is About to Shoot You: York in the game cover.
- Smug Snake: Both Reicher and Bourd.
- Sprite/Polygon Mix
- Unstable Equilibrium: The costumes (for female characters only) give some of your characters godly stat increases, which would take hours of normal item-crafting and Level Grinding to achieve. Because some of these are available through paid DLC, those who shell out the cash can sleepwalk their way through the earlier sections by fielding a pimped-out Amazon Brigade.
- It should be noted that male characters have stat boosting costumes as well, however in this case the "costumes" are simply extra stat boosting equipment. Both genders have "costume" items that alter each characters stats, but only the females actually change their appearance.
- Verbal Tic: Prinnies, dood!
- Felicia, ~nya!
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Yuuto/York and Mikoto. It's just that you have to do a ton of things just to get Mikoto to survive.