- Ability over Appearance: Phil Alden Robinson had originally envisioned "Shoeless" Joe Jackson as being played by an actor in his 40s, someone who would be older than Kevin Costner, and who could thereby act as a father surrogate. Ray Liotta did not fit that criteria, but Robinson thought he would be a better fit for the part, because Liotta had the "sense of danger" and ambiguity, which Robinson wanted in the character. Liotta was also a right-handed hitter, unlike Joe Jackson (who threw righty, but batted from the left side), but Robinson figured if baseball fans were gonna nitpick about that, they were going to have bigger problems with the fantastical parts of the movie anyway.
- AFI's 100 Years... Series:
- Beam Me Up, Scotty!: The film's Signature Line "If you build it, he will come." is too often misquoted as "If you build it, they will come".
- Defictionalization: The field built for the movie is still there as a local tourist attraction.
- Deleted Scene: Ray getting his hearing checked, Ray buying baseball equipment, Ray getting lost on the way to Fenway with Terrence, and Ray and Terrence watching batting practice.
- Irony as She Is Cast: Although his character delivers the movie's signature speech praising baseball, in real-life, James Earl Jones is rather indifferent about baseball.
- Throw It In!:
- In the scene of Ray throwing pitches to Joe Jackson, Liotta hit a ball straight back at Costner and he jumped out of the way. The hit ball also smashed over the bag of balls next to his feet. The timing was too perfect.
- The fog that appears later in that scene was completely natural as well.
- They shot all scenes of the field at "magic hour", so the fog was something to be expected.
- What Could Have Been:
- Alec Baldwin, Jeff Bridges, Tom Cruise, Michael Douglas, Richard Dreyfuss, Harrison Ford, Richard Gere, Mel Gibson, Tom Hanks, Ed Harris, William Hurt, Tommy Lee Jones, Michael Keaton, Christopher Lambert, Gary Oldman, Dennis Quaid, Kurt Russell, Patrick Swayze and Bruce Willis were considered for Ray Kinsella.
- Kim Basinger, Jamie Lee Curtis, Geena Davis, Jodie Foster, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Demi Moore, Michelle Pfeiffer, Meg Ryan, Molly Ringwald, Rene Russo, Susan Sarandon, Emma Thompson and Sigourney Weaver were considered for Annie Kinsella.
- Phil Alden Robinson wanted to cast James Stewart as "Moonlight" Graham, but Stewart had not acted on-screen for almost a decade at that point. One scene shows Karin watching Harvey on television.
- The original script had 6 instances of the word "fuck", most of which came from Mann's first scene, which alone would be enough to get the movie an R rating. The final product is PG with just one mouthed but unvoiced instance of the f word.
Trivia / Field of Dreams