365 Days (Polish: 365 Dni) is a 2020 Polish erotic romantic drama film directed by Barbara Białowąs and Tomasz Mandes. It is based on the first novel of a trilogy written by Blanka Lipińska. It stars Michele Morrone and Anna-Maria Sieklucka.
Massimo Torricelli (Morrone) is the boss of a Sicilian Mafia family. Laura (Sieklucka) is a sales executive whose private life lacks passion. On a trip to Sicily, she is kidnapped by Massimo, who saw her on a beach years ago, and gives her 365 days to fall in love with him.
The film was released theatrically in Poland on February 2020 and was later made available on Netflix, quickly gaining global attention, making the top three most viewed items on Netflix in numerous countries. Work on a sequel film is planned, but has been delayed by the COVID-19 Pandemic.
This film features examples of:
- Bastard Boyfriend:
- Massimo manages to make Christian Grey look like a freaking altar boy, being a ruthless Italian mafia don who kidnaps the female lead and coerces her into loving him. Surprisingly, it works.
- While nowhere near as abusive as Massimo, Laura's boyfriend Martin is shown to give so little of a damn about her that her leaving him for Massimo becomes less surprising.
- Bolivian Army Ending: Massimo is told by an informant that the rival mafia family is about to kill Laura. Laura's car enters a tunnel but it's not seen coming out from the other side, but overall whether she was actually killed is not seen, leading to wide speculation among reviewers that she was just kidnapped, only helped by the fact that a boat apparently coming from the tunnel is seen sailing in the distance.
- Creator Cameo: Blanka Lipińska, the author of the book the film is based on, has a cameo as the bride whose wedding Laura attends.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Frustrated with how her boyfriend Martin rebuffs her when she tries to initiate sex, Laura is shown masturbating, complete with vibrator.
- Erotic Eating: During one of the walks that Massimo allows her, Laura is shown suggestively eating an ice cream cone.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: After a Time Skip following her accepting to pursue a relationship with Massimo, Laura, who up to that point was shown having dark hair that went past her shoulders, is shown with blonde hair and a curtain hairstyle.
- Glad-to-Be-Alive Sex: Laura seems to finally fall for Massimo when, after they argue on his yacht, Laura falls into the water, before Massimo jumps in to save her. When she awakens, he admits he was scared she might not make it and that he does not want to lose her, and they have sex on the yacht.
- Imperiled in Pregnancy: Laura reveals to a friend that she is pregnant right before Massimo is informed that a rival mafia family is planning a hit on her.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: Besides the oral-sex-on-a-jet scene mentioned elsewhere, when Laura finally decides to begin a relationship with Massimo, they have sex in the bathroom of a nightclub.
- Mile-High Club: One infamous scene from early on in the film involves Massimo receiving oral sex from a flight attendant on his private jet.
- Mr. Fanservice: All of his...issues aside, Massimo is one handsome dude, which the movie doesn't miss in showing.
- Non-Indicative Name: The "365 days" of the title refer to the period of time Massimo gives Laura to fall in love in him, but she ends up falling for him in much shorter time.
- Official Couple: Massimo and Laura. With helpings of Official Couple Ordeal Syndrome, what with the fact that Laura may or may not have been killed in the ending.
- Operation: Jealousy: At one point during her captivity, Massimo cuffs Laura to a bed and forces her to watch him receive oral sex from another woman, seemingly with this intention. She returns the favor when he orders her to go with him to a club, where she flaunts herself in front of Massimo's friends and begins to flirt with a man from a rival mafia family to Massimo's, angering him.
- Safe, Sane, and Consensual: Massimo pretty much ignores this maxim, although the fact that he had kidnapped his "sub", Laura, and her restraints are also to not allow her to leave, also has to do with it.
- Sexy Stewardess: Massimo gets briefly interested in a sexy flight attendant on a jet flight, ending with her giving him oral sex. It's played for Fan Disservice for a bit, however, as he initially appears to coerce her to do so (before of couse she looks that she can't have enough of him).
- Shower of Love: "Love" might be highly questionable in this case, but one of Massimo's attempts to have Laura fall for him involves them both sharing a shower; she doesn't accept.
- Title Drop: The "365 days" are the period of time Massimo gives Laura to fall in love in him. She ends up falling for him in much shorter time, however.