Naked Killer is a 1992 Hong Kong film directed by Clarence Fok, starring former Miss Hong Kong Pageant and 90s sex symbol Chingmy Yau, in her Star-Making Role as the titular killer. Along for the ride is Simon Yam (of Bullet in the Head fame) as a police detective investigating her killings, only to inevitably fall for her.
Kitty (Chingmy Yau) is a fierce and violent young woman who had no qualms attacking men who cheated on their spouses or girlfriends, by stabbing their crotches, seeing herself as a vigilante for bullied women. But after an attempted assassination on a triad leader who killed her father goes wrong, Kitty ends up being rescued by veteran assassin Sister Cindy, who decides to take Kitty (completely against Kitty's will) as her protege.
Tinam (Simon Yam) is a cop and once the best sharpshooter in the Hong Kong police force, but after accidentally killing his brother as a rookie, he develops a crippling phobia of guns. And when he is assigned to investigate the many assassinations performed by Kitty, both cop and killer inevitably falls for each other... worse of all, an even more deadly female fatale, nicknamed Princess, who has a past vendetta against Sister Cindy, comes back with a vengeance, Tinam and Kitty will have to team up against their common adversary.
Considered a Cult Classic nowadays, mostly because of the amounts of steamy fanservice.
Simon Yam and Chingmy Yau would collaborate on a few more Hong Kong films in the 90s, such as Street Angels, Future Cops and Legendary Couple, although none of them are as notoriously popular (or controversial) as Naked Killer.
This film provides examples of:
- Accidental Murder: Tinam's fear of guns is revealed in a flashback, where he accidentally shot his brother while still a rookie.
- Action Girl: Sister Cindy and Kitty, although Kitty spends most of the movie training herself to become one. And then there's Princess, the Dark Action Girl of the story.
- Anti-Hero: Sister Cindy. While she did rescue Kitty, she pretty much kidnapped the girl and forced Kitty against her will to become an assassin, before setting her off on a killing spree.
- Anyone Can Die: By the time the credits roll, any named character with more than 10 minutes of screentime are all dead.
- Asshole Victim: Most of the victims killed by Kitty and Cindy falls under this.
- Mr. Bee, who is one of Kittys first kills, is a mobster and triad leader who killed Kittys father first, and uses his power and affiliation with the police to get away with murder. The movie tries its best to make him pretty close to a Hate Sink to justify Kitty murdering him as her Start of Darkness.
- The bodybuilder violently murdered by Princess is revealed to be a cheating boyfriend and pimp.
- More of a matter of Offscreen Villainy, but the many victims killed by Kitty and Sister Cindy, as assured by Cindy herself, are actually cheaters and different Bastard Boyfriend who deserves their comeuppance.
- Badass Longcoat: Tinam wears a long trenchcoat throughout the second half of the movie, and even in the climatic shootout.
- Badass Teacher: Sister Cindy, who is a veterean Professional Killer, as well as a Hot Teacher.
- Big Fancy House: The Princess' mansion, where the final shootout takes place.
- Blood from the Mouth: Sister Cindy and Princess both dies in the manner, with their eyes wide open but the camera lingering on their bloody lips to assure the audience theyve been Killed Off for Real.
- Boyish Short Hair: Baby, the girlfriend and toy-girl of Princess. She's the only female character with hair that doesn't go past her shoulders, and behaves least feminine amongst the various ladies in the film.
- Can't Refuse the Call Anymore: The moment Kitty wakes up in Sister Cindy's room, and learning that Cindy is taking her as a protege, Kitty immediately demands to be let out. Cindy responds by flicking on the television, showing a news broadcast about Kitty's rampage in Mr. Bee's office, that police have identified Kitty as Mr. Bee's killer, and as such Kitty is now a wanted fugitive, no longer a free person, and have no choice but to accept Cindy's offer.
- Contrived Coincidence: Kitty's assassination attempt on Mr. Bee happens on the same day as Sister Cindy is trying to kill said target. What's even more contrived, after killing Mr. Bee and attempting to escape pursuing triads, Kitty grabs the first person she sees as a hostage... which is none other than Cindy herself!
- Covers Always Lie: Despite the DVD cover shown above, at NO point in the movie did Kitty gets completely nude. The most we see of her is in her sports bra and panties, and the movie's CAT-III rating (equivalent to R rating in the United States) mostly comes from the violence and controversial content.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Kitty and Tinam. Both of them fapping at the same time while thinking about each other.
- Designated Girl Fight: The strangely seductive Cat Fight between Kitty and Princess in the finale. The movie in fact spends a lot of time building up to this scene, and while Tinam gets to confront Princess several times, he never did get to challenge her directly, and instead spends most of his time dealing with her legion of faceless mooks.
- Doesn't Like Guns: Tinam, but only for the first half of the movie, because hes shown to have accidentally killed his brother while trying to shoot a criminal several years ago when he was still a rookie. The moment he got over his fear of guns halfway through the film, be becomes a total gun expert who can gun down hordes and hordes of Princess mobsters with Improbable Aiming Skills.
- Drugged Lipstick: How Princess managed to assassinate Sister Cindy, using poisoned lipstick. And later Kitty uses this trick back on Princess.
- Excuse Plot: Theres barely a plot or whatsoever in this movie, the whole film is made just to have Chingmy Yau and Carrie Ng strut around in as little clothing as the rating allows.
- Fanservice: Once every ten minutes. Kitty herself spends roughly 30% of her screentime in her undergarments.
- Femme Fatale: Sister Cindy. And Kitty herself, who is being trained by Cindy into becoming one.
- Fingore: Kitty, upon waking up in Sister Cindy's bedroom, realize all her fingers are bandaged. Because Sister Cindy had removed her fingerprints with a scalpel while she was unconscious.
- Groin Attack: All of the lethal lady assassins uses this method constantly to take out their mostly-male targets. You can in fact play a drinking game with the groin attacks featured in the film.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Kitty in her final moments; poisoned, wounded, and near the verge of death after killing the Princess herself. Tinam decides to end it right there though, blowing up himself and Kitty so that they Died Happily Ever After.
- In Love with the Mark: Tinam, a police detective himself, is ordered to investigate and hunt down Kitty, the assassin. He ends up falling for her instead.
- It's Personal: Kittys vendetta towards Princess becomes a lot more direct when Princess kills her mentor-slash-lover, Sister Cindy.
- Karmic Death: Princess kills Sister Cindy by luring Cindy to a kiss, and poisoning Cindy with her Drugged Lipstick. This trick ends up backfiring on Princess when Kitty learns how her mentor died, and uses the same type of lipstick to poison and kill Princess.
- Knife Nut: The Princess uses knives mostly for close combat, as well as for throwing.
- The Pen Is Mightier: When the assassination on Mr. Bee goes wrong, with Kitty locked in Mr. Bee's office, being held down by a guard as Mr. Bee starts unzipping his pants, Kitty manage to grab a nearby pen and stab the guard's neck, before leaping at Mr. Bee and stabbing his crotch several times.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Princess' real name isn't revealed in the movie.
- Psycho Lesbian: Princess, to say the least...
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil:
- Mr. Bee, after having Kitty captured alive, orders his men to bring her to his office and gang-rape her, but she escapes.
- Later on, during Kittys training with Madam Cindy, its revealed that Cindy had a group of Serial Rapist and murderers chained in her basement, which she used them to "train" Kitty.
- Rule of Pool: There is a large swimming pool outside Princess mansion, and during Kittys confrontation with Princess and Baby all three of them end up in the water. When Tinam arrives he too gets dragged into the pool, in the same scene where he shoots Baby.
- Sexophone: Used a few times, whenever Sister Cindy appears onscreen.
- Shower Scene: Right in the opening scene, when Princess assassinates her first target, a bodybuilder who had cheated on his girlfriend. Said target hears someone in his shower, and pulls open the shower curtain to reveal a nude Princess taking a shower, who then shoots her target while he's momentarily stunned.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Kitty ends up falling for her own mentor, Sister Cindy. The feeling is quite mutual actually.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Plenty throughout the movie. Especially the first onscreen death performed by Princess, shooting a man in his shoulders, then his kneecaps, before knocking a set of weights who collapses on his head squeezing his brains out of his skull, then delivering the Coup de Grâce by shooting him twice in the groin.
- Together in Death: In the aftermath of the climax, with Princess and all her henchmen dead, Tinam finds Kitty poisoned and near the verge of death, and with the police arriving there is nowhere for them to run. Tinam decides to end it right there by shooting a nearby fuel tank, blowing up the entire mansion with him and Kitty still in it.
- Training from Hell: Sister Cindy's training for Kitty, to initiate her as an assassin. It involves having her locked in a basement with a serial rapist who haven't touched a woman for years.
- Waking Up Elsewhere: After the assassination on Mr. Bee goes awry, with Kitty barely escaping with her life before being rescued by Sister Cindy, she later wakes up in Cindys bedroom. Wearing only her underwear.
- Workout Fanservice: More than once, featuring Kitty or Princess.
- You Killed My Father: Kitty holds a personal grudge against Mr. Bee for killing her father. Her killing him marks her start as an assassin.