Naked Weapon (2002) is the second film in the three part "Naked" film series, which includes the first film, cult classic Naked Killer (1992) and the third film that followed this one, Naked Soldier (2012). Other than the basic theme of being based around killers and murderers and starring women, the three films are otherwise unrelated.
Directed by Ching Siu-tung, the movie, starring Maggie Q, follows a young girl, Charlene, who is kidnapped and taken to an island with other little girls by the mysterious Madam M to be trained as assassins, and the investigation of said organization by CIA operative Jack Chen (Daniel Wu).
Veteran martial arts icon Cheng Pei-Pei co-stars, as Charlene's mother.
This movie provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Charlene.
- Asshole Victim: Madam M gets killed by Ryuchi, who did it to avenge the death of his best friend at the Hamden of one of her assassins.
- Ax-Crazy: One of the surviving girls is clearly unhinged and enjoys killing way too much. Another girl makes the mistake of suggesting they team up during the graduation fight. The crazy one simply stabs her in the gut for her trouble.
- Big Bad: Madam M is the leader of a mysterious organization of female assassins, and kidnaps protagonist Charlene so she can become one. She forces the assassins into a death match and then has them carry out assassinations. Halfway through, however, she gets unceremoniously killed offscreen and replaced as the villain by Ryuchi, a Yakuza boss who is avenging the assassination of his best friend by one of the girls.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: The assassins have many ways of killing people, but their signature move involves pulling out the target's spinal cord. At first, it looks like the move takes a bit of time. Later, the assassins are doing it in the middle of a firefight.
- In the climax, Charlene kills Ryuchi by throwing him and performing the move while he's flying through the air in bullet-time.
- Deadly Graduation: After years of assassin training, Madam M has half of the trainees take out the other half. Then the next day, the survivors compete to the death until only one is standing. Madam M ultimately changes her mind and spares the last surviving three.
- Faux Affably Evil: Madam M.
- Femme Fatale: The assassins, who form a Murder, Inc. and go through Training from Hell.
- Forced to Watch - Charlene is forced to watch Ryuchi kill her best friend.
- Gratuitous Rape: The surviving assassins are subjected to this by the men working for Madam M.
- Honey Trap: How the assassins get close to their marks.
- It's Personal: Jack lost his original partners thanks to Madam M and spends every available moment of his detective career looking into her assassin organization, earning him the ridicule of colleagues, who don't believe such a thing exists.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: Charlene and Jack end up having sex on a beach at night. Jack even admits he doesn't normally sleep with girls so soon after meeting them.
- Murder, Inc.: Madam M's organization is a notoriously effective one of these, starred entirely by kidnapped teen girls.
- Professional Killer: What the girls in this film are being trained to become.
- Slipping a Mickey: Madam M does this to her surviving assassins. Rape as Drama soon follows.
- Training from Hell: During their years of training, nearly all of the girls will be brutally killed and forced to kill each other.
- The Vamp: One of the skills the assassins are specifically trained to utilize is to seduce their targets.
- Wine Is Classy: During a dinner, the surviving girls are tested on their ability to discern wine. Two glasses turn out to be full of expensive vintages, while one is common table wine. The real purpose is to drug the girls, so her mercenaries can gang-rape them.
- Would Hurt a Child: Madam M kidnaps forty young girls to turn them into her assassins.