Rowan/Tarot Witch of the Black Rose
The heroine of the comic. As the 'Swordmaiden of the Goddess, she's charged with defending the balance between the mortal and magical realms. Currently in a relationship with Jon and Boo Cat.
- Action Girl: Allegedly; she becomes a Faux Action Girl whenever there's a chance for the enemy to strip, molest or rape her to provide maximum fanservice.
- Bi the Way: Tarot is bisexual.
- Chain Mail Bikini: Her 'armor'.
- Distressed Damsel: Constantly, though she can occasionally free herself.
- Dating What Sis Hates: Her sister Hex is, needless to say, less than thrilled by her preferential choice in lovers.
- Evil Costume Switch: When Tarot becomes the 'Assassin of the Black Rose', although you could hardly call it a costume.
- Hot Witch
- Impractically Fancy Outfit: Tarot's boot-spikes.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: Why Tarot refuses Jon's marriage proposal. He's still attacked and endangered though, so her objections aren't exactly grounded in reality. They do end up marrying in issue #100.
- Kids Are Cruel: Was bullied along with her sister as a child.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: A somewhat looser example then usual. Although she is faithful to Jon and Boo Cat, she's been shown getting aroused, going 'skyclad' (naked), and masturbating at the drop of the hat more and more often as the comic has progressed.
- Love Triangle: In a Type III love triangle with Boo Cat and Licorice Dust. Licorice is really unhappy with this arrangement.
- Magical Girl
- Master Swordsman: Tarot, allegedly; the amount of times she's beaten and humiliated while using her sword is staggering.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Most Common Superpower: Puts mainstream comic heroines to shame
- "Not If They Enjoyed It" Rationalization: Has been sexually abused and mentally enslaved to provide sexual gratification to others, but even when she's distressed by it she's often aroused.
- Stripperiffic: On the rare occasions when Tarot even bothers to wear clothing, it almost always belongs in this category. Most of it could honestly be called "two strings and a wish".
- Tarot Motifs: Besides her name, she uses tarot cards for divining the future.
Raven HexThe older sister of Tarot, Raven is diametrically opposed to the idea of balance between the worlds, instead working to achieve witch dominance over the mortal world. However, she's still an occasional ally to her mother and Tarot, has a pretty big love/hate relationship with Jon Webb.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Raven's boyfriend Jon, more than once to her everlasting ire.
- D-Cup Distress: When she was a child, she really hated suddenly growing hers so big. Still have shades of it as an adult, complaining that her "girls" prevents her from running as fast as others.
- Dark Is Evil / Dark Is Not Evil: Tends to be the latter most of the time, or at least somewhat ambiguous.
- Dark Magical Girl
- Easily Forgiven: No matter what Raven does, she's always accepted by Tarot and her friends.
- Everyone Has Standards: As much as she dislikes Jon, she is mortified to learn what his parents did to him as a child.
- Eye Scream: Impaled a rude muggle's peepers on her nipple wear for his ogling her tata's.
- Hot Witch
- Kids Are Cruel: Was bullied along with her sister as a child. Unlike Tarot, she developed a deep hatred for non-witches.
- Love Obstructing Siblings: Almost every chance she gets due to Hex's distaste towards Tarot's boyfriend.
- Most Common Superpower: Puts her mom and sister to shame.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Pretty much sums up her feelings towards Jon.
- Start of Darkness: The death of her father (who had died while attacking those who bullied Raven) shaped her current world view.
- Stripperiffic/Chainmail Bikini: She manages to wear even less then Tarot.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Seeks to make a world where witches can freely live and practice magic. In practice, her activities give non-witches reason to fear them.
Jon Webb/Skeleton Man
The only recurring male in the comic and Tarot's boyfriend. Jon gained the ability to see the dead and help them materialize after a near-death experience. Taking on the identity of the Skeleton Man, he defends the dead from would-be vandals and thieves (of which there are many in Salem for some reason) and attempt to help Tarot in her various trials.
- Author Avatar: Jon looks remarkably similar to Jim Balent himself, and if certain people are to be believed, Balent also used to work as gravedigger.
- Badass Normal: Skilled enough to, despite having no real powers or supernatural properties beyond his status as the caretaker of graves, take on or outpace Werewolves, Merfolk, Pumpkin heads, Dark Elves, Sea Hags and Gorgons! Be they in human or monster form.
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: Remarked and complimented on by a large amount of women. It's never actually shown, mind.
- Boring Failure Hero: Jon's ineptitude is legendary. The most notorious example is probably when he's forced to stop pursuing a cadre of homicidal ghosts because they refuse to tell him the address of their next victim.
- Butt-Monkey: And How! Almost gets chomped by the apparition of a T-Rex, has his tookus handed to him by his idol superhero group of kitty magical girls, Jon's shlong winds up stuck in a tree stump, ends up spanked repeatedly by a girl Krumpus. Oh and then there's that time his house has a god fall on it from the sky and the repetitive molestation by all the hot monster girls he catches the eye of. The list just kinda trails off from there, in point of fact see below.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Has gotten his fare share of brutal peggings too. Ribs punctured by an animated pumpkin golem, gets lashed repeatedly with the tails of Dragon Witches, part of his face is raked off by a werewolf's claws, Made into a meat puppet by a soul stealing wraith like fiend.
- Chick Magnet: Any Cute Monster Girl who sees him has a high chance of eventually taking advantage of him - see below. Not to mention he did score tarot as a lover and a girlfriend.
- Classical Anti-Hero: He rarely contributes to any fights, is often attacked to distract/trap Tarot, and a frequent Butt-Monkey, although see below.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Has fallen victim to this more then once.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male/Black Comedy Rape: Jon gets molested and/or raped by virtually every female villain he encounters, but no one — Jon included — ever seems to see it as a big deal.
- Empowered Badass Normal: besides his ability to call upon and materialize apparitions to aid him in combat, there have been numerous occasions where he really stood up and outshines his girlfriend. Such as the time he donned the hammer, belt and gloves of the mighty Thor to battle and best his evil half brother Loki whence all of Salem had been frozen over during his staging of Ragnarok.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Tarot
- Rerouted from Heaven: In a sort of elseworlds story Jon eventually fell in battle and wound up with his own heavenly reward only to end up in the wrong afterlife. When the screw up on the part of a Valkyrie landed him in another lost soul's personal afterlife in Valhalla by mistake.
- Rescued from the Underworld: In a few standalone chapters of the comic, Jon's Friend and ghostly confidant Crypt Chick gets dragged to hell by the antagonistic entity that stole Webb's title as guardian of the cemetery. The skeleton Man literally had to brave the very perils of hell and the underworld itself in order to rescue her. Along the way he also ended up freeing and ascending numerous damned souls who had committed grievous sins in their lives to heaven redeeming them as a consequence in the process.
- Took a Level in Badass: managed to fight off and outrun a coven of Dragon witches of all things! and the list of accomplishments keeps accumulating over the passing of time, e.i. battling and besting the evil trickster god Loki, staking the blackrose families deadliest enemy, quelling the resuscitated spirit of an angry T-Rex, besting a usurper of his title as protectorate of the cemetery; note that this particular adversary could manipulate the souls of both the dead and the living.
- Would Hit a Girl: Though it's not discussed, Jon won't hesitate to hit a female during a fight, monster or not. Oddly, in one issue he says he doesn't hit girls, despite having done so at least twice in past issues. However, right after saying that his opponent irritates him enough to change his mind... and give her a spanking.
Boo CatA bisexual were-cat manager of a lingerie store, she was Tarot's first love(r). Currently the girlfriend of Licorice Dust and Tarot, which has begun to create tensions between Licorice and Tarot
- Action Girl: Occasionally.
- Cat Girl: The exact kind of cat she is is never mentioned, although her fur coloring suggests a panther.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: She's had sex with Jon while he's been unconscious, but no one, even Tarot, has ever called her out on it.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Female: She has a tendency to molest attractive women she meets regardless of whether they're willing or not. This is always played for laughs and fanservice and she never gets called on it.
- Genki Girl
- Lovable Sex Maniac: With her behavior, she's almost constantly looking for sex.
- Love Triangle: Loves both Tarot and Licorice Dust; Licorice objects to this and attempted to kill Tarot.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's near constantly nude, and on the rare occasions when she does wear clothing, she'll almost always strip out of it.
Tarot's MomTarot and Raven's mother. Living with Tarot in their home, she's often a source of advice and help.
- Big Beautiful Woman: Tarot's mother. She's not really fat, just a wider version of her daughter, and with an increased bust size to match. Also, she still has an hourglass figure and perfectly smooth, unblemished skin
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Despite the comics 10+ year run, she has yet to be called her real name. Hilariously enough, even Jon calls her 'Tarot's mom' when he swears vengeance on her after she's killed by the World Serpent.
- Hot Witch: Like mother like daughters.
- Most Common Superpower: She's Tarot and Raven's mother, so it's a given.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's a female in the comic; what else what else would you suspect?
- Naked First Impression: The first time Jon meets her. (He's the one naked, not her).
- Older Than They Look: Her age is never addressed but its speculated she's more than a century, maybe a millennium old.
Licorice DustA vampire, currently the lover of Boo Cat (she's really unhappy about sharing her with Tarot). A high school student who was rejected from the cheerleader squad along with her friends, all of them became vampires, killed their master, and killed the cheerleaders via swarm of rats. Her role in the story is rather limited, mainly appearing with Boo Cat.
- Berserk Button: Child molesters; she spent two years murdering at least dozens of them, leaving Boo for two years while she did it. She's also displayed a hatred of the Twilight series.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Very much in love with Boo and isn't too happy about her flame with Tarot.
- Lesbian Vampire: She's very into women (she once even had a brief relationship with Tarot) but hates men.
- Ms. Fanservice: Surprised that a recurring female character is used for fanservice?