This is a character page for Tale of Wuxia.
open/close all folders
As A Whole
- Fish out of Water: The entire Xiaoyao sect when Wang Rong joins them and they have to live with a girl for the first time ever. Hilarity Ensues when the disciples had to ask Wuxia Zi and Dr. Miracle to verify Wang Rong's claim that women have periods.
- Vestigial Empire: The current Xiaoyao Sect is but a shell of its former glory and most of its techniques were lost forever. The few deadly techniques it has are still just incomplete portions of their original forms.
The main character
- Cycle of Revenge: His parents were outcasts in Wulin and were killed by both the righteous and evil sects. Depending on the player's choices, he would either pursue revenge or choose to end the cycle.
- Distinction Without a Difference: In Yaksha's route, he refuses to join the evil Cult of Tianlong. However, he is perfectly fine with helping Yaksha and the Cult of Tianlong as a mole.
- Enemy Without: In the Devaraja route, he had to fight his bloodthirsty side to determine if he wants revenge or peace.
- The Mole: In Yaksha's route, he becomes a mole for Yaksha.
- Spanner in the Works: Alliance route only. For years, the City of Heaven's Will has been planning to control the entire Wulin by pitting the righteous and evil sects against one another and then swooping in to eliminate them when they are at their weakest. By becoming the leader of the Wulin alliance and attacking the Cult of Tianlong within seconds of assuming leadership, he caught every party napping and finished off the Cult of Tianlong before the City of Heaven's Will could prepare their forces.
- Too Dumb to Live: In year 2, he finds some wine while strolling and drinks it immediately. The wine was poisoned.
Current master of the Xiaoyao sect.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Even though he loves Jing Ji and is proud of him, he never did show any affection to him.
- Celibate Hero: In his youth, he was too cowardly to pursue his beloved and shunned her. He remained single the rest of his life.
- I Have No Son!: In the midst of a heated argument with Jing Ji, he disowned Ji and deeply regrets it.
- Inadequate Inheritor: Under his leadership, the Xiaoyao Sect is at its weakest yet.
- Mama Didn't Raise No Criminal: Devaraja route only. When Weiming was accused of collaborating with the Cult of Tianlong to attack Shaolin Temple, he's the only person who still believed in Weiming. His reason is unknown.
- My Greatest Failure: He deeply regrets letting Xuanming Zi live and disowning Jing Ji.
- Only Sane Man: In the midst of the anti-Devaraja hysteria 20 years ago, he was the only one who still trusted the Devaraja and his followers.
- Retired Badass: At his age, most of his rivals are already dead. Even in his current decline, he can still defeat all 3 of his disciples at once.
- Where Did We Go Wrong?: Played for laughs with Jing Ji. It eventually escalated into him running away from home.
Servant of the Xiaoyao sect.
Eldest disciple of the Xiaoyao sect.
Second disciple of the Xiaoyao sect.
- Berserk Button: Do not call him dumb.
- Black Sheep: Tired of playing second fiddle to Yuexuan, he runs away from home and joins the Cult of Tianlong.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Even with his lack of book smarts, he can be surprisingly insightful at times, and has unwittingly helped Weiming solve some puzzles he could not have solved by himself.
- Fish out of Water: If the player does not pursue Wang Rong, he marries her and it turned out that he is incompetent at cutting anything other than people.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: He's the foolish sibling and Yuexuan's the responsible one.
- Moral Event Horizon: In year 4, he stole the Dragon Sabre and Heaven Sword from Swordsmith Mansion because he wanted them.
- Nobody's That Dumb: He doesn't play Go. When a Go problem stumped Ju Sou, Wuxia Zi, Yuexuan and Weiming to the point of depression and hysteria, he solves the problem just by placing a piece on the board at random and making a theoretically dumb move.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: His inferiority complex stems from Wuxia Zi's potshots at his uncultured personality and low intellect and constant comparisons to Yuexuan. Subverted that Wuxia Zi also loves him and is proud of him in his own way.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Hearing stories of his childhood made Weiming wonder how Jing Ji grew up to be his current self.
Fourth disciple of the Xiaoyao sect.
City of Heaven's Will
An assassin working for the City of Heaven's Will.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Chuixue is actually a woman, and is attractive to both men and women.
- Defector from Decadence: In her route, she eventually quits working as an assassin for Weiming's sake and retires in Wangyou Valley.
- You Killed My Father: She hated Zhuo Renqing for killing her master.Devaraja route only. She eventually let go of their enmity for the greater good.
- Your Cheating Heart: Devaraja route only. If you're pursuing multiple women and Chuixue, as she journeys with Weiming, she meets more and more of his other lovers. Initially, she felt jealousy. Eventually, she only rolls her eyes whenever she discovers another lover.
The master of Jiang's Sect and one of the three great heroes of Luoyang.
- The Chessmaster: He is a friend of every faction in the country, has his finger in every pie, and has pitted everyone against one another while he waits to finish off everyone once they are weakened enough.
- Greater-Scope Villain: He's the Lord of the City of Heaven's Will, and the instigator behind every large conflict in China.
- Karma Houdini: If the player doesn't discover his true nature, nothing happens to him and he remains free, rich and well-respected.
- The Mole: After defeating him, it turns out that he is just a mole sent by Korea as a part of their master plan to conquer China.
- True Final Boss: If you fulfill certain requirements in the alliance route, you will face him after defeating Nagaraja.
Jiang Tianxiong's son.
- Churchgoing Villain He's very interested in Buddhism and would often visit temples. It is unknown whether he's really devout or putting on an act, since most of the temples he visits are fronts for the City of Heaven's Will.
- The Dragon: He's the son of the Lord of the City of Heaven's Will, and is also a high ranking member in the group.
- Martial Pacifist: He's a pacifist, a devout Buddhist and a friend to everyone. He is also willing to forcefully threaten people into submitting to him.
The strongest disciple of the Qingcheng Sect.
- Kuudere: He hates talking, and will keep mum if anyone tries to make conversation with him. His affection will still rise if you interact with him whenever you see him.
- Lost Orphaned Royalty: As a child, his father, the former crown prince, was killed in a power struggle and he was forced to hide in the Qingcheng Sect.
- The Call Knows Where You Live:Royal Struggle route only. He refused his claim to the throne until the emperor attempted to kill him and possibly everyone he knows and loves.
- The Wrongful Heir to the Throne:Royal Struggle route only. He's the true heir to the kingdom, but he returns to the Qingcheng Sect after winning the power struggle because he's disinterested in politics and government.
As A Whole
- Martial Pacifist: They are warrior monks, after all.
Head Abbot of Shaolin Temple
- My Greatest Failure: When the Devaraja was imprisoned in Shaolin Temple, they became friends and he deeply regrets participating in the anti-Devaraja hysteria which swept Wulin. He also regrets letting the Devaraja get kidnapped by the City of Heaven's Will
- Why We Can't Have Nice Things: He was so disgusted with the bloodbath and backstabbings over the key to Nobody's sanctuary that he destroyed the key in front of everyone.
Master of the Tianshan sect by marriage.
- Doting Parent: He dotes on Qiujuan, even if she isn't his biological daughter.
- Honorable Marriage Proposal: He married Yi Lan to preserve her honour after her unwanted pregnancy. Yi Lan never loved him and even hated him. It is implied that their marriage is sexless.
- MayDecember Romance: He is much older than his wife, Yi Lan.
Master of the Tianshan sect.
- Tragic Bigot: After getting pregnant and dumped by Zhuo Renqing, she hates all men.
- MayDecember Romance: She is much younger than her husband, He Weifeng.
- Sexless Marriage: It is implied that she never had sex with He Weifeng.
- Younger Than They Look: Her hatred and insanity make her look haggard and older than she actually is.
Successor to the Tianshan sect and daughter of He Weifeng and Yi Lan.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: After Gu Shi saved her life, she eventually fell in love with Gu Shi.
- Does Not Like Men: Her mother has raised her to hate men just like herself.
- Generation Xerox: Like her mother, she becomes lovers with the Wudang Sect's successor. Time will tell if the tragedy will repeat itself.
- Happily Adopted: Her biological father is Zhuo Renqing, but she grew up loved by He Weifeng anyway.
Master of the Wudang sect and master swordsman.
- Fatal Flaw: He trusts his disciples almost blindly, and has been accused of being muddle-headed whenever his disciples are involved. As a youth, he mistrusted his fellow disciple, Dongfang Xi and blames himself for Xi's death. From that day on, he chose to trust others until overwhelming evidence says otherwise.
- I Gave My Word: He promised Weiming to let Feng Chuixue go if they can survive him and his disciples long enough. He did not pursue the matter any further when Weiming and Chuixue managed to escape.
- My Greatest Failure: He deeply regrets his two misdeeds as a youth, leaving Yi Lan after siring He Qiujuan and denying Dongfang Xi when he needed him the most, and spends his entire life wanting to atone for them.
- Please Kill Me If It Satisfies You: He deeply regrets leaving Yi Lan and causing her insanity. He would willingly die if He Qiujuan were to seek revenge on him.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: He was the heir to the Wudang Sect. Yi Lan was the heir to the Tianshan Sect. They were forced to break up by their elders because their marriage would lead to an overconcentration of power in Wulin.
Main disciple of the Wudang sect.
- Berserk Button: He hates Gu Shi, and his eyes turn murderous whenever you mention Gu Shi in front of him.
- Deceptive Disciple: He has attempted to assassinate his master twice. The first time, he hired Feng Chuixue. The second time, he used poison.
- Manipulative Bastard: It is implied that he was the one who snitched on Jing Ji's attempt to steal the Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre and drove a stake into Ji's and Wuxia Zi's relationship.
- The Mole: He's actually a spy for the Cult of Tianlong.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: He's obsessed with He Qiujuan and attempted to rape her once.
Second main disciple of the Wudang sect.
- Generation Xerox: After Yunhua's betrayal was discovered, he's now the new successor to the Wudang Sect, and his beloved is the Tianshan Sect's successor. Time will tell if the tragedy will repeat itself.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: He eventually won He Qiujuan's heart.
- Nice Guy: Even after he was framed by Yunhua, he refused to hate him or his master.
- The Un Favourite: If Zhuo Renqing had to choose between him and Yunhua, he would choose Yunhua.
Heir to Thunder Hall, a gunpowder specialist sect.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Devaraja route only. If the player pursues both her and Feng Chuixue, she goes berserk upon discovering that Chuixue is also Weiming's lover.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She warms up to Weiming really quickly after a few more encounters.
- Improbable Weapon User: As the heir to a gunpowder specialist sect, she uses the broadsword and nothing else.
- Love at First Punch: The chain of events behind her falling in love with Weiming starts with their first battle over a misunderstanding.
- Perpetual Poverty: All of her money is spent in reviving the former glory of Thunder Hall.
- Separated at Birth: She is Jing Ji's long lost sister.
- Sheathe Your Sword: Devaraja route only. If the player pursues both her and Feng Chuixue,she will attack Weiming in a fit of rage. To win her back, the player needs to lose and let her vent her anger on Weiming.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: When both of them go Leeroy Jenkins and attack Huang Luo's home at the same time without sufficient backup, they put aside their initial bad impressions of each other to take on Huang's bodyguards.