The Monster Hunter Online series held many monsters not found in the main series or Frontier, and as such they are kept separate from the main monsters page to keep it from getting any bigger than it needs to be. Subspecies are listed together with their main species.
Additionally: Some of the names in this page use an unofficial English translation of its official Chinese Name. The name is obtained either by using Chinese translating programs or through previous existing English equivalent terms in the game. The names will be used until Capcom reveals the official English names for them.
Chramine (Subspecies: Ice Chramine)
Thunder Sand Bird / Ice Thunder Bird
Chramine is a Bird Wyvern that is incredibly similar to the Gypceros but also has many differences. Some of these differences are crimson red hair standing on its head instead of the crest of Gypceros, a different coloration, and a hard shell much like Yian Kut-Ku.
It also has a blue hair Subspecies that attacks using ice to attack.
- An Ice Person: As the name would imply the Ice Chramine attacks by using a special oil it produces called Ice Thunder Oil which reacts to the freezing cold air of its home. It can use said oil to freeze the ground, and create frozen landmines that explode on contact and cause Snowman status and Frozen status.
- Mighty Glacier: It's not the fastest monster but thanks to its hard shell and explosive mucus it can bring quite the bit of pain.
- Red Baron: Along with its title of Thunder Sand Bird Chramine have also been called The Giant Deranged Birds thanks to it's lust for destruction.
- Standard Status Effects: Its nominate variant can cause poison and paralysis while its subspecies can cause snowman, silkednote and frozen status.
- Super Spit: It's Modus Operandi. It attacks primarily with a special oil called thunder oil it produces that explodes after coming into contact with the ground or a hunter. It can even ingest sand to help improve its explosive capabilities and cause fireblight.
Disaster Wyvern is a unique Brute Wyvern with a body structure not unlike Brachydios. While it is capable of plain old punching, thanks to the ability to produce steam it primarily fights by charging as though it were a steam engine using it's large claws and horns to pierce anyone who is in his way.
- Bullfight Boss: While it can throw a mean punch it's primary form of offense is charging into hunter as though it were a train.
- Chainsaw Good: A good number of the melee weapons feature either chainsaws, buzz-saws, or vibrating saws in their design.
- Expy: It's essentially a water-element Brachydios, especially with how it's body structure is shaped with having "fists" on its claws.
- Diesel Punk: The aesthetic of its gear gives off this vibe, with many of them featuring a good number of exhaust pipes or engine blocks in the design.
- Making a Splash: It is able to produce steam within its body to charge into its target and manuver around the area to dodge attacks faster. It's also able to cause the waterblight status.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: When your name and classification are both Disaster Wyvern you garner a reputation.
Baelidae (Subspecies: Dread Baelidae)
Ghost Hunting Spider / Terrifying Hunting Spider
Baelidae is a Carapaceon known for its appearance which more closely resembles a spider than a crab and its large abdomen which resembles a skull. It fights using his large claws and silk to slow down and capture it's prey.
Its subspecies has purple highlights instead of red and adds in the ability to fire webs that can cause Poison and Paralysis to whomever is hit.
- All Webbed Up: Along with its large claws, it's primary means of attack is using its webbing to cause the Silked status. It can also fire its webs towards its target.
- Early Installment Weirdness: It looks like a spider, it fights like a spider, you'd expect it to be a Temnoceran but it's actually a Carapaceon. Even weirder is that Monster Hunter 4/U would have already existed around the time of its release.
- Expy: In a roundabout way it's got a lot in common with Nerscylla despite still being a Carapceon, though Online was released before 4.
- Giant Spider: Despite being a crab and belonging to the crustascean Carapceons it looks more like a spider, which is somewhat justified as 4 was released after Online and Temnocerans did not exist yet.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When its enraged the eyes on the skull turn a bright red.
- Skeleton Motif: Its abdomen resembles a giant skull and it can bring it's claws to cover its face to resemble the jaw.
- Standard Status Effects: Its Subspecies can cause the Poison and Paralysis status along with Silked Status.
Caeserber (Variants: Ghost Caeserber, Yellow Caeserber)
Beaver Beast / War Ghost Beaver Beast / Sand Raccoon Beast
Caeserber is a Fanged Beast resembling what can be described as a literal Beaver-Bear. A territorial creature that fights with sharp claws, bucked teeth and large tail and uses trees and boulders as projectiles.
It has a Variant known as Ghost Caeserber which is much more aggressive and is coated in the blood of his enemies, and a yellow furred Subspecies that adds in mud as a projectile to slow hunters down.
- Non-Elemental: Like most early game monsters its only really got scratches, headbutts and projectiles such as boulders, mud and trees.
- Covered with Scars: The Ghost Caeserber Variant is covered in scars from previous encounters.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: It has a lot in common with Arzuros being mammalian monsters who serve as easy first bosses meant to introduce players to hunting and has surprisingly stronger variants, one of which is a survivor of multiple hunts .
- Use Your Head: It often headbutts hunters and trees to get fruit.
- Warm-Up Boss: Is one of the first monsters you would fight in the game, and it's quite the pushover.
Slicemargl (Subspecies: Purple Slicemargl)
Sword Pole Wolf / Sword Brake Wolf
A large wolf-like ape found in tundras and frozen mountains that causes Stabbed status, a precursor to the Bleed status, via the bone protrusions on it's arms. Baffingly it chooses to protect smaller monsters such as Popos and would rather fight monsters that could give it a challenge such as Ice Chramine and Khezu.
It has a purple colored subspecies that can cause poison or paralysis thanks to the large bone protrusions on its arms.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: It's bone blades are sharp enough to cause Stabbed status, a variant on the bleeding status.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: The large spikes on its arms and back are created from its bones.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: It actively protects smaller monsters like Popo and Anteka from other monsters
- Noble Wolf: It's physical body shape more closely resembles monsters like Blangonga and Rajang but it moves and fights more like a wolf would. It also doesn't attacks and even protects weak monsters like Popo and Anteka from predators.
- Standard Status Effects: Its nominate variant can cause Stabbed status, which work just like Bleeding does in the main series. Its Purple subspecies swaps out Stabbed status for Paralysis and Poison instead.
- I Work Alone: Despite being based off of a wolf it never works with other members of its species. However there have been two sighted to work together for unknown reasons.
- Worthy Opponent: It never hunts weaker prey, it will only go after prey that can provide it a challenge.
Lightenna (Subspecies: Poikilos Lightenna)
Thunder Beetle / Scarlet Beetle
A large Stag beetle that is able to produce electricity when it flaps its wings. There is a positive charge in its horn and negative charge in its tail which it can then use to create large balls of electricity. Said balls of electricity can then home onto a hunter so long as they have either a positive or negative charge.
It has a scarlet colored subspecies that instead creates balls of dragon energy to fight.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: It's a giant beetle, it comes with the territory.
- Discard and Draw: It's Subspecies swapped out the ability to control lighting and magnitism for the Dragon element.
- Kill It with Ice: Both variants really do not like the cold.
- Light 'em Up: During Mating season when two males fight for the right to mate the sheer amount of electricity produced turns night into day.
- Magnetism Manipulation: It's horn is positivly charge while it's tail in negitivly charged. It also has a unique status that effects who it's Thunder balls will target.
- Standard Status Effects: It's Nominate variant can cause Thunderblight while it's Subspecies can cause Dragonblight.
- Thunder Beetle: It is a giant beetle that can control electricity and magnetism.
- The Immune: Not unlike Stygian Zinogre, it is immune to the Dragon element. However, unlike Zinogre who gets it from an outside source, Lightenna is likely not intelligent enough to be effected by the Dragon Elements effects on the mind.
Estrellian (Variants: Doom Estrellian, Arbiter Estrellian)
Star Wyvern / Disaster Star Wyvern / Destruction Star Wyvern
An unknown species of monsters, little is known about its ecology and where it comes from. What is known is that it's a juvenile of a yet undiscovered species of Elder Dragon. It also has an unknown relationship with insects known as Star Butterflies, which help increases Estrellians strength, speed and defense as armour not unlike Zinogre and appears wherever natural disasters appear.
It has a Purple and White colored subspecies which is stronger, faster and more agressive and has a relationship with a slightly different breed of Star Butterflies known as Disaster Star Butterflies.
It also has a Rare Species with an ash-like color scheme and fiery red armor made from Destruction Star Butterflies and when fully charged can manipulate the dragon element. It actively hunts other Estrellians and is believed to be at the precipice of becoming an Elder dragon.
- The Beastmaster: More like Bugmaster, Estrellians have an unknown relationship with a certain insect known as Star Butterflies which help the Estrellian during hunting, by becoming its armor, as a distraction and just plain exploding at its command.
- Butterfly of Transformation: Its status as a juvenile of an unkown Elder Dragon plays into this.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Doom Estrellian easily defeats a Monoblos in its introductory cutscene, sending it running away for its life and leaving it limping in a few attacks.
- Discard and Draw: The Arbiter Estrellian swaps the ability to cause fire damage and Fireblight in exchange for power over the Dragon element.
- Expy: Is one to Gore Magala, both produce an unknown virus, both can cause destruction where ever they go and both are the juvenile form of an Elder Dragon. It's also one to Zinogre as both are powerful apex predators with a relationship to insects.
- No Biological Sex: The Estrellians have no known gender, knor do we know how it comes to be.
- Red Baron: Along with the titles mentioned above the Arbiter Estrellian is also known as The Creator of Natural Disasters.
- Super Mode: Not unlike the Zinogre it takes the energy from its Star Butterflies to become stronger. The Star butterflies also make up its armor.
- The Unsolved Mystery: Unfortunately due to the shutdown of Online's servers, we will never learn what Elder Dragon it's the juvenile of.
- Walking Disaster Area: Estrellians are often seen wherever natural disasters such as earthquakes, plagues and tsunamis are happening. It is also said that should an Arbiter Estrellian kill or drive away every Estrellian in it's territory a natural disaster will occur.
Tartaronis (Subspecies: Infernal Tartaronis)
Swallowing Abyss Dragon / Scorching Abyss Dragon
A colossal and highly aggressive sea turtle-like elder dragon that lives in deserts as though they were oceans and can fly thanks to the ability to produce hot air. It is described as a demon that swallows anything that appears near its large desert territory, thanks to it's large flippers it can create large dust devils and can fire huge balls of sand as though they were cannon balls.
It has a Ash coloured Subspecies that resides in volcanoes and blasts Lava as though it were a water cannon.
- Big Eater: And How. Tartaronis eat just about anything and everything that enters their territory such as Monoblos and even Estrellians. It's reveal trailer even calls it 'The Tyrant who devours the Moon'.
- Blow You Away: Mixes this with Sand Blaster and is able to create huge Dust devils thanks to its large flippers, it is also able to create a sandstorm aura. Its subspecies is able to create tornados of fire instead.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Its unknown how, but Tartaronis is able to fire an artillery of huge orbs of sand like a ship. Occasionally it will even inhale huge swaths of sand to refuel.
- Giant Flyer: Is able to fly thanks to its body producing large amounts of hot air, and Tartaronis are utterly colossal Elder Dragons, rivaling the size of Ukanlos and Akantor.
- Magma Man: Its subspecies has the ability to fire Magma as though it were a Water cannon, its body also glows a bright red when angered.
- Sand Is Water: When it isn't flying it's often been seen swimming through deserts thanks to its large fins. Its subspecies is also able to swim through volcanic rock.
- Sturdy and Steady Turtles: When your based off of a Sea Turtle this is often gonna be the case. It is able to leap a short distance to attack hunters though.
Merphistophelin (Variant: Elemental Merphistophelin)
Barren Disaster Dragon / Imperial Five-Phases Barren Disaster Dragon
A Dangerous First Class Monster, thanks to an unknown energy within its chest it has the ability to manipulate the Elements of Fire and Dragon which fills in the missing membranes in its wings. Its very overconfident, easy to anger and commonly fights other Elder Dragons robbing them of their territories.
It has a Variant that has the ability to use all five elements each with its own form and is much larger compared to its nominate counterpart.
- All Your Powers Combined: Unlike Alatreon who can use only four elements, Elemental Merphistophelin can use all five elements, though only one at a time. Downplayed for the Nominate variant, it is only able to use Fire and Dragon elements.
- Dracolich: Subverted; Merphistophelin merely has the aesthetics of one. It's still very much alive.
- Dragons Are Demonic: Zigzagged. When in a different element mode his whole body gain highlights for that element on his spines, horns and gains a membrane made from that element on its wings.note So when it enters its fire or dragon state its the fitting image of a dragon that rose from hell.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It has been described as very easy to anger.
- Lean and Mean: Even when compared to other lean monsters on the series Merphistophelin is almost skin and bones.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: His many titles include "the Devil", "the Destroyer", "the End of Days" and "the Barren Disaster Dragon".
- Sinister Scythe: Every bladed melee weapon that is not a Lance or Gunlance and is made from Merphistophelin parts has a very scythe-like appearance to it. Even the Bowgun has a scythe for an under-barrel attachment.
- Standard Status Effects: Is able to cause every blight, silked, frozen, and stun status.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Is one towards both Fatalis and Alatreon who aren't present in this game. The former with the shared skeleton and animations and the latter in regards to their unstable power over multiple elements. Fittingly enough, Merphistophelin is also a Black Dragon/First-Class Dangerous Monster.