The Neon Genesis Evangelion/Gundam crossover fic:
Being set in a much more different Evangelion world, the characters are quite different than their canon counterparts. This story, like the anime series it was inspired from, contains a diverse cast of characters.
In this universe, the pilots don't have the crippling mental issues like their canon self did, and their personalities more in line with typical shonen heroes.
"I won´t run away"
The son of Professor Gendo Ikari, the Supreme Commander of NERV and Dr. Yui Ikari, he is main character of the story, and almost the polar opposite of his cannon version. He is a much more social person, with less problems than his canon self. Despite this, he at times has discussions with his father, though his relationship with him is much, MUCH better than in canon. He can make friends more easily this time, but still has to confront the trauma that is fighting an Angel.
Tropes that apply to Shinji Ikari:
- The Hero: He is indeed much more brave than how he was on the original anime.
- Adorkable: Misato often makes him be this.
- His interaction with Rei also qualify as this.
- Beware the Nice Ones: As much as a nice guy he is, he will get very angry if something bad happens to him and his friends.
- Determinator: His defining trait in this universe.
- Distracted by the Sexy: After looking at Rei on her formal military dress in chapter 8, he cannot focus on anything else than in how great she looks.
- Happily Married: With Rei in the epilogue.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: He would very much prefers that the people around him don't act so weird, particularly his father
- Official Couple: With Rei
A Sargeant in this story, she is one of NERV´s best and strongest members, having been involved in some wars that happened before the story began. She is strong enought to destroy any metal object with her own hands, and is respected among the class and NERV.
Tropes that apply to Rei Ayanami:
- Action Girl: Goes without saying. She is a sergeant, and fought in some wars in Latin America before the story began.
- Blood Knight: Unlike her canon version, this Rei Ayanami can be quite agressive at times.
- Child Soldier: She became a soldier at a young age. This fact surprised Shinji, a lot.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: The one in charge of training pilots, and is very strict. Bonus point for being an actual sergeant.
- Official Couple: With Shinji.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Towards Shinji.
- Happily Married: With Shinji during the epilogue.
- Super Strength: Standard Nephilim power.
- The Comically Serious: She can be quite serious at times, even if something funny happens.
The daughter of the Commander of NERV-2, Pieter Langley, in Germany, and of Kyoko Zeppelin Soryu, she a is a different girl than she is on the show. She is an energetic girl, and good at making friends. She had studied EVA´s since she was four, getting ready for the day she will become a pilot. She is indeed much more happy than she is on the series.
Tropes that apply to Asuka:
- Action Girl: And a damn good one!
- Berserk Button: Never damage her EVA....
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: She beat up Toji and Kensuke when she found them with photos of her from a distance that they sold to her admirers....and then buy one herself when she saw one that she likes.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Two of them during the fight with Kaworu. First, she removed her Eva's armour, removing Unit-02's power limit, but making her susceptible to being absorbed by her own Eva. Then, when even that still not enough, she activates her beast mode, enabling her to defeat Kaworu, while resulting in her dissolving into LCL. She gets better later on.
- Genki Girl: This Asuka is much more energetic, excited, and friendlier than her canon counterpart.
- Golden Super Mode: Once during her fight with Kaworu, and the other when she and Kaworu fought the MP-Evas.
- Determinator: She will do whatever it takes to take an Angel down.
- Happily Married: With Kaworu during the epilogue
- Mind Rape: Courtesy of Arael.
- Never Bareheaded: She has her nerve clips, as always.
- Official Couple: With Kaworu
In this universe, Toji is instead the sixth child, though he still ended up with Unit-03. Later on, he became part-Nephilim due to his contact with Bardiel.
Tropes that apply to Toji:
- Butt-Monkey: He often ended up with the short end of the stick. His Eva got taken out by Bardiel, just like in canon, and even after becoming part-Nephilim he still couldn't win a spar with any of the other Nephilims.
- Half-Human Hybrid: What he became after his incident with Bardiel.
- Official Couple: With Hikari Horaki.
- The Idiot from Osaka: Just like canon.
The fourth child, he piloted Unit-06 and was stationed in Germany like his sister and Asuka. He also was the Angel Tabris.
Tropes that apply to Kaworu:
- Astral Projection: Appeared to be capable of creating a projection of himself, no matter the location. He could also make it tangible in order to interact with people or objects.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He is more powerful than his own sister, Zeruel, sometimes act as the Angel's leader along with Zeruel, and he's capable of manhandling two Evas equipped with S2-Organ easily.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Inflicted this during his spar with Rei, Mayumi, and Mana at the same time, even though all three of them are Nephilim with greater strength than humans. Later he fought off Unit-01 and Unit-00, both equipped with S2-Organ, easily before the intervention of Asuka and Unit-02.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Though evil is rather stretching it, he was perplexed by Sandalphon's refusal to work with him, and the latter's willingness to let itself be examined by humanity.
- HeelFace Turn: He decided to help NERV and the Evangelions against SEELE, not that he was evil to begin with, its just that his and Zeruel's goal were clashing with NERV's.
- The Juggernaut: As mentioned above, not a lot of things could stop him once he gets going. only Asuka using her Beast Mode in conjunction with removing her Eva's armour managed put him down.
- Later on, in the final battle against SEELE, he and Asuka proved to be the most powerful of the Evangelion by efortlessly beating up all of the MP-Evas.
- Last of His Kind: At the end of the story, he's the last surviving full Angels in the world.
- Mercy Kill: He do this towards Sandalphon, who refused to join forces with him and Zeruel, and then to Zeruel after she was defeated by Shinji and Rei, and then trapped in her Nephilim body.
- Official Couple: With Asuka
- Oh, Crap!: His reaction when Adam was revived.
- One-Winged Angel: When unleashing his true Angelic power.
- Piggyback Cute: After the fight against Adam, he and Asukaengaged in this.
The sister of Kaworu, and the pilot of Unit-07, she's actually Zeruel, the Angel of Might.
Tropes that apply to Yumiko:
- The Assimilator: Attempted this to Shinji.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: She acts along with Tabris as the leader of the Angels, and she's only behind him in terms of strength.
- Big Entrance: And what better ways to reveal your true self other than annihilating half a city with your power, in this case Berlin-2?
- Blood Knight: during her fight with Rei and Shinji.
- Large Ham: As Zeruel, she brags a LOT about her powers.
- Mercy Kill: asked Kaworu to do this to her after her defeat, as she couldn't bear living as a mere shell of her former self.
- One-Winged Angel: After she was disappointed with repeated failures from her fellow Angels, she decided to take matters into her own hand, and revealed her true self as Zeruel, destroying half of Berlin-2.
- Puny Earthling: Her general attitude towards humans. She also loved to flaunt her superiority towards humans, or even other Nephilims.
- Single-Stroke Battle: With Mana. Unlike her brother, she just decided to cut loose and knocked her out with a single hit.
As with the pilots, the NERV staff, excepting Fuyutsuki, is very different than in canon. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean they're saner. If anything, this version of NERV is even crazier and whackier than the canon version.
The Supreme Commander of NERV and the father of Shinji Ikari. This Gendo is much more awesome than the canon one, and infinitely better at being a parent.
Tropes that apply to Gendo:
- Adaptational Heroism: In canon, Gendo is a lousy dad. Here, he is able to demonstrate his love for Shinji in a healthier manner and is determined to stop SEELE's plans.
- A Father to His Men: Gendo, weird as he is, was very popular amongst NERV personnels for his competent leadership and dedication towards the safety of his subordinates.
- My God, What Have I Done?: He had this reaction when he realized that he nearly strangled Shinji when he was just a toddler.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Gendo loves to play up his antics in the public, when in fact he has quite a good grasp on reality.
- Papa Wolf: He immediately placed himself between Shinji and Iruel when the latter attempted to shoot the former.
- Parents as People: Despite the mentioned Adaptational Heroism, Gendo has all of NERV to manage and was unable to raise Shinji, resulting in him being sent to live with his Aunt and Uncle. Shinji loves him, but still thinks he can be scary at times with his Crazy Awesome persona.
- Rousing Speech: He's very fond of doing this.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivered a nasty one towards Mana.
NERV's head scientist, this version of Ritsuko is a bit....unstable, and is prone to bouts of madness.
Tropes that apply to Ritsuko:
- Evil Laugh: Always accompanied her Mad Scientist self.
- Mad Scientist: She lapsed into this sometimes, mostly when at work. She also has a cat named Randall, which is hooked to a Gorilla sized metal frame, and has the uncanny ability to sneak on people despite this.
- Split Personality: Apparently a result of finding out that Adam and Lilith were studying the human race for thousands of years, and she couldn't find the reason why.
- Too Spicy for Yog-Sothoth: When Iruel invades and corrupt the MAGI, Ritsuko hooked the angel into her mind. It's response are of abject horror.
The Lieutenant Colonel of NERV, and the one in charge whenever Fuyutsuki and Gendo are unavailable. She is Shinji's caretaker.
Tropes that apply to Misato:
- Action Survivor: Due to her time in Australia with the Team Fortress 2 Team and Saxton Hale.
- The Alcoholic: No changes in canon here.
- Biker Babe: Oh so very much. In fact, she has her own race track in NERV, which served as training ground for the pilots or for punishing her subordinates by forcibly taking them on a ride in the track.
- Fire-Forged Friends: With The Team.
- Four-Star Badass: She became the Commander of WILLE, NERV's replacement in the epilogue.
- The Pig-Pen: While her apartment is actually quite clean, her bedroom is a disgusting mess.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: With Kaji.
- Take Up My Sword: From Saxton Hale, seconds before his death at the hands of giant fire ants.
- The Tease: towards Shinji, she made somewhat of a hobby to embarrasses Shinji as much as possible.
Gendo's right hand man and the Sub-Commander of NERV, he's the most level-headed person in NERV.
Tropes that apply to Fuyutsuki:
- Like a Son to Me: Held this attitude towards Rei, who, in addition to Angel and Yui's DNA, had his DNA mixed in, taken without his knowledge. After being informed of this by Naoko, he desired to see Rei blossomed, not unlike a father towards his own offspring.
- Parental Substitute: Towards the Ibuki twins, being the one who brought them back to civilization, managed to get them to be treated, and enabling them to get a job in NERV.
- Number Two: Towards Gendo
- Only Sane Man: Towards Gendo, again, and the rest of NERV's staff.
Commander of NERV-2 in Berlin, and father of Asuka and Mari. He's formerly know as the Jackal, a ruthless vigilante.
Tropes that apply to Pieter:
- A Father to His Men: When Yumiko revealed herself as Zeruel, he immediately ordered all NERV-2 personnels to run into the emergency shelters.
- Berserk Button: Try to harm his daughters, and he'll hunt you down and either kill you horribly or force you to commit suicide.
- Blackmail: Does this in order to find Mari's kidnappers, claiming that he had enough knowledge to topple Japan.
- The Dreaded: as the Jackal. Even Kaji is terrified of his wrath. And when he goes to save Mari, the narration notes that no animals ever came near him, because they knew what an Apex Predator looked like.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's rather strict and sometimes grumpy, but he's a good leader and an even better parent. However, should you make him really angry, like harming his daughters, better find somewhere safe to hide because he'll hunt you down as the Jackal and he will make sure you'll suffer.
- Guttural Growler: When he gets REALLY angry.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He apparently could do this quite convincingly, posing as a clueless tourist with broken Japanese. It was implied that he does this regularly in the past.
- Only Sane Man: Just like Fuyutsuki, he's quite level-headed in comparison to Gendo. Nevertheless, he respects him as a competent leader and the perfect man to lead NERV.
- Oh, Crap!: When Yumiko revealed herself as Zeruel.
- Papa Wolf: And how!
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Against SEELE for daring to kidnapped Mari.
The Mother of Shinji, and Gendo's wife. She disappeared after she enter Unit-01, although even before that part of her soul was trapped inside of Unit-00.
Tropes that apply to Yui:
Maya and Miyata Ibuki was Dr.Akagi's assistants. They joined NERV by Fuyutsuki's help, after he found them in a half-feral state in Indochina, and brought them to Japan for therapy.
Tropes that apply to twins:
- Beleaguered Assistant: They constantly trying to calm down Ritsuko whenever she entered Mad Scientist mode.
- Creepy Twins: Mostly during their times in Indochina, but they do relapsed occasionally.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Inflicted this to the one who sabotaged NERV's power systems during Matarael's attack.
- Dark and Troubled Past: They were vacationing in Vietnam with their family when the Second Impact happened, stranding there along with billions of refugees. Then their parents were killed and tortured in front of them, prompting them to took their revenge and killed whoever did that. They then turned feral, killing their way throughout Indochina before Fuyutsuki rescued and send them back to Japan.
- Verbal Tic: When they began to say brother of mine/sister of mine, it's a sign that they're returning to their feral self.