Ex-Super High School Level ChemistA formerly renowned Chemist, who now lives from ransacking abandoned places. She gets invited to the shelter through a letter, and although hesitant at first, she caves in and ends up trapped. While in the shelter, she functions as the main investigative force. She was in a coma during the whole of Chapter 3 and part of Chapter 4, awakening just in time to investigate the fourth murder.
- Amateur Sleuth: Came to the shelter with no experience in sleuthing, but is quickly gaining abilities with Toriumis tutoring (even if Toriumi isnt a detective).
- Clear My Name: She is forced to defend herself in the first trial, being the main suspect.
- Determinator: Toriumi described her as this. The true extent of this trait is still to be seen.
- First-Person Smartass: Her thoughts do show a certain level of snarkiness towards the other graduates or the situation theyre in.
- Hair Decorations: She has three green hair clips on her hair.
- Lab Coat Of Science And Medicine
- Running Gag: She overslept once, but some of her friends teased and reminded her about this for a while.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Ex-Super High School Level StrategistAn analytic yet friendly young woman, who was going to be named Chief of Police. She now pushes for everybody to do their best at finding the Mastermind. Self-proclaimed (and accepted by everybody) leader of the Graduates.
- Crash-Into Hello: She crashed into Ogata while the latter was greeting everybody.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: She gave Matsukaze the signal interceptor, which ended up being what caused him the internal bleeding that started his death. Its also likely the screwdriver that ended Matsukazes life was used by her and left when dismantling Monobear in the office.
- The Reliable One: Shes really interested on keeping things in order in the shelter, while also pushing others to do an effort to find the Mastermind. She also manages the scarce food, and organized the people to take care of somebody when it was needed. She also seems to have some mechanical and robotics abilities, along with a friendly disposition towards her partners. No wonder shes the Leader.
- The Leader: Type II
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
Ex-Super High School Level Private TutorA cold and effective woman towards most people, but with a softer attitude towards those who she considers worthwhile and/or her friends, Toriumi is recognized for excellence in very diverse academic areas and shows a plethora of useful knowledge. In the shelter, she serves as Ogatas tutor in detective matters. She is the fourth murderer, having killed Reiji in an attempt to get Akane and herself out of the shelter.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Armor-Piercing Question: After being convicted as a murderer, she asks who among those still alive hasn't killed anyone. Ogata raises her hand, but then realizes that no one else is following suit.
- Brainy Brunette: She is capable in several academic areas, which in turn gave her the knowledge to teach others. Its also shown she has acute analytical and deducting abilities, especially while investigating Chapter 2s crime scene.
- Deadpan Snarker: She does enjoy snarking at Ogatas lack of observational skills, and isnt afraid of saying what she thinks, no matter how mocking or cynical it is.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Mostly to Ogata. Even if in their first meeting it was initially cold and distant, after Ogata reminded her about her identity, she started acting warmer towards her, and has been turning friendlier since then.
- Face Death with Dignity: She actually walks to her own executing instead of letting Monokuma drag her there, declaring that she will show the others how to face their deaths.
- Hair Decorations: She has three chopsticks tying up her hair. One of them is the weapon used in the fourth murder.
- The Mentor: She teaches Ogata the basics of detective work, which fits her Private Tutor talent.
- Prim and Proper Bun
- Smart People Wear Glasses
- The Stoic
Ex-Super High School Level MediumA mystic lady who can communicate with the dead. It was said that she helped the dead and alive to reach peace. In the shelter, she receives focus when theres a matter related to the dead. Doesnt last long, as she is the first culprit, and is executed via being roasted into a fiery pit.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Shes dragged by hands down to a fiery pit during a mock medium session. Luckily for the rest of the graduates, they didnt see her being burnt by the flames.
- I See Dead People: As expected from a Medium. Whats more, her talent was shown in action during a medium session in Chapter 1.
- The Idiot from Osaka: Subverted. She may be from Osaka, but she definitely isnt an idiot, or a comedic person. However, she does show some very slight tendencies to treat anything her own talent in a somewhat cheerful way.
- Manslaughter Provocation: Saitou only died because he attacked her first, turning this into real self-defense.
- Willing Channeler: In the first trial, she lets Saitous spirit possess her. Then subverted, as it was all a farce to blame Ogata for the murder.
Ex-Super High School Fashion DesignerA young lady who once was Junko Enoshimas mentee. Kind and calm, she keeps a cheerful attitude even during the murders in the shelter. Shes one of the contributors in the trials.
- Broken Pedestal: Its implied that Yamaguchi admired Junko, but after it became known that Junko was the mastermind behind the end of the world, Yamaguchi started to distance herself from her, to the point where shes afraid of being rejected because of her former relation with Junko.
- Nice Girl: She could be considered the nicest female student around, although Ginchiyo is pretty close as well.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Could be considered the blue oni to Junko Enoshima's red.
Ex-Super High School Level FilmmakerA woman known only by one name. Creator of the acclaimed short film The Flight of the Red Crane, shes among the most stable graduates in the shelter. Shes one of the sounding boards during the trials. One of the two graduates responsible for Sakurai's murder, and was framed as the mastermind of this crime during the trial. At the end, thanks to her interference, she was declared the new mastermind of the crime, saving everybody at the cost of her own life. She was grinded into paste by an old camera's mechanism.
- The Ace: She went into history as the best student that ever studied in Hope's Peak. Its unknown why, exactly.
- Covert Pervert: When Hikasa was subjected to a body search, she hurriedly offered herself to do it. Ogata's reactions to how she did it were basically reminding her to not to let lust get over her head. How extensive exactly was this search?
- Cruel and Unusual Death: She was grinded to death by an enormous camera.
- Green-Eyed Monster: What led to her actions towards her sister.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Out of envy, she tried to take over what she thought was an invitation for Hope's Peak directed only for her sister Shizuka. When she hears it was for both Shizuka and her, she returns home and finds out Shizuka ran away. Following this, she tries to find her sister for years.
- Nice Girl: Definitely a kind person, along with Yamaguchi.
- Only One Name: Shes known as only Ginchiyo, and she introduced herself as that. However, it's actually a pseudonym.
- Sympathetic Murderer: She was forced by Reiji Ohmoto to cooperate in Sakurai's murder, and was framed as the mastermind by him and Yukio.
Ex-Super High School Level WeightlifterA very strong person, physically, who was once called The Hercules of Japan. Quick to show his emotions, he coasts along the rest, trying to help to get everybody out of the shelter. One of the sounding boards during the trials.
- Berserk Button: Dont accuse Ginchiyo of being the Mastermind. You really dont want him to turn his physical strength against you.
- Gentle Giant: Quite level-headed and friendly.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps
Ex-Super High School Level PhilanthropistA selfless young man that always tries to seek his peers welfare, even if they dont want him to help or dont need him. One of the contributors to the trials.
- Alliterative Name
- Idiot Hair
- Nice Guy: Hes a Philanthropist. His talent is practically defined by him being this, according to his words.
- Pet the Dog: Exaggerated. He likes having this type of moment, to the point where it isnt needed or even welcome. And he has a selfish personal reason to do them, according to a characterization chapter.
Reiji Ohmoto and Yukio Ohmoto
Ex-Super High School Level Law Master and Law Assistant (actually, Ex-Super High School Level Law Assistant/Despair and Law Master)A pair of twin brothers with an affinity for law and everything related to it. Reiji is haughty, but incapable of keeping his ground in a direct confrontation, while Yukio is more level-headed and more assertive at the moment of fighting. Reiji is one of the sounding boards, while Yukio contributes in the trials. Its revealed that Yukio was originally the Law Master, but after a chain of bad decisions, Yukio was usurped of his title.
Reiji was one of the two graduates responsible for Sakurai's murder, being the mastermind of it, and successfully framed Ginchiyo in his place.
Reiji was the victim of Chapter 4, although he was initially assumed to be Yukio. He was stabbed in the back of the neck with an unknown weapon.
- Always Identical Twins: The physical differences are very minor, and they even use almost identical clothes.
- Cain and Abel: Reiji is Cain while Yukio is Abel.
- Curtains Match the Window
- It's All My Fault: Yukio blames himself for Reiji falling into despair. After a Twin Switch occurs where Reiji becomes a member of the Hope's Peak Council, he is exposed to Junko Enoshima. Yukio feels as though his cowardice made Reiji who he became.
- Jerkass: Reijis usurping of Yukios efforts and title does mark him as one. He also doesnt seem to be bothered by what he had done in the slightest.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: From what is read in Reiji's diary, he was a pretty decent person and content with his position as second to his brother, and even supported Yukio when things got bad. However, Enoshima's influence made him more bitter and feel like he was inferior.
- Large Ham: Yukio temporarily turned into one during the Trial 2, while fighting Ogata during a Rebuttal Showdown.
- The Remnant: Reiji is the member of SHSL Despair who got into the shelter.
- Self-Deprecation: Its a very minor moment, but just before the third trial, Yukio shows how nervous and uncertain he is despite all the investigation he did.Were all doomed.
- Shrinking Violet: At first, Yukio seems to be timid and docile. However, that behavior disappears quickly.
- Twin Switch: Reiji attempted one in chapter 4, but got killed before he could finish pulling it off. It was the reason the surviving graduates initially assumed the victim was Yukio.
- Would Hit a Girl: Reiji sucker-punched Ginchiyo while she was trying to argue the extent of her involvement in Sakurai's murder.
Ex-Super High School Level CEOThe youngest Graduate in the shelter. A teenager who shaped his own company from the ground, finding success, just for it to be all broken down after the world ended. Now he begrudgingly stays among the rest and tries to escape. One of the sounding boards during the trials. He kills Matsukaze after the latter inches nearer to finding the identity of the Mastermind. Its implied he was in cahoots with the Mastermind. Hes killed by Monobear after Miyata inadvertently triggers a function in the bears AI at the end of the trial.
- Alliterative Name
- Destroy the Evidence: He destroys Matsukazes notebook, which was full of the victims deductions about the Mastermind.
- Impoverished Patrician: His company is almost ruined, thanks to the Worst, Most Despairing Event in the History of Mankind.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: The only reason he tries to throw the Mastermind under the bus was because he himself was betrayed. If it hadnt happened, chances are that he would have simply walked away while everybody else died.
- No Social Skills: Apparently he has weak social skills; as he stated, I'm not somebody who knows how to talk to people. Ogata spent some time teaching him some social skills.
- Smug Snake: He spent the whole third part of the trial acting smugly, thinking that no evidence could be linked to him. Even after it happened, he continued his smug behavior, at least until it was clear Monobear wasnt going to let him go.
- The Southpaw: What kickstarted his doom in the second trial, as he was the only left-handed graduate around.
- Teen Genius: Hes seventeen when hes locked into the shelter, which is only for graduates. The exact age he had when entering Hopes Peak is unknown, but its clear it was pretty early compared to most students. Forming a successful company at such an early age also counts.
- Tsundere: Type A. Although he continues being rude towards Ogata, he accepts her much more than anybody else. Whether its because he has a crush on her or because he considers her the only worthwhile person around is up for grabs.
- Young Entrepreneur
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
Ex-Super High School Level ArtistA man that was practically unknown before being met in the shelter. Cooperative towards those that he considers innocent of the murders, he shows a certain amount of common sense that does become useful. Hes one of the sounding boards in the trials.
- Book Dumb: The reason he claims to not to be as known as the others is because Hopes Peak wasnt exactly proud of him, thanks to his bad grades.
- Nice Hat
- Out of Focus: He has been the graduate with less lines or interactions. In the first Chapter, he had a more prominent role, even giving a vital testimony to Ogata, but after that, he started to fade in the background. He turns back into focus during Chapter 4.
- You Gotta Have Pink Hair
Ex-Super Highschool Level StuntsmanThe oldest graduate in the shelter, Toyogushi has a laid-back personality that allows him to take better the murders and the events in the shelter. However, under pressure, he shows that he can be as affected as anybody, or even more. One of the sounding boards during the trials.
- Cool Bike: Its specifically described that he is known for motorcycle stunts.
- Sleepyhead: Not doing any physical activity, or at the very least moving, seems to make him sleepy. Its possible that he chews gum so often to keep himself awake.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps
- Trademark Favorite Food: Chewing gum.
Ex-Super Highschool Level SalesmanA young man that doesnt show shame when talking to other people, demonstrated by his sappy compliments. He was specially known in his field, as it was guaranteed he could sell anything. Functions as the token overly-nervous character in the shelter. Dies as the first victim, killed by Sawashiro when he tried to kill the Medium.
- The Ace: If you have a hard time selling anything, give it to Saitou and he'll do it for you. Guaranteed!
- Black Guy Dies First: Despite supposedly being Japanese, his skin does have a much darker tone than Curtis and Toriumi. He dies as the first victim in the story.
- Nervous Wreck: His reaction to being locked in the shelter definitely showed how badly the whole thing affected him. Its likely that his behavior, coupled with the first motive, were what pushed him to try to kill Sawashiro.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: The first victim, and he didnt receive a lot of development before his death.
Ex-Super High School Level Good LuckA young man who had entered Hopes Peak thanks to the Good Luck lottery, yet got invited to the shelter as well. Quick to come to conclusions, even if theyre wrong, he tries to be contributive and help the rest of the graduates to live. One of the contributors to the trials. Hes the victim in Chapter 3, found in the conference room pinned to the wall with a stake through the chest.
- Born Lucky: His way to enter Hopes Peak.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Downplayed. He does indeed tend to jump to conclusions and improbable scenarios, but not so bad that hes considered one of these. However, some of the graduates treat him as if everything he said were a waste of breath.
- Dies Wide Open
- Hidden Depths: He claims to have talents for gardening, gaming, carpentry, and electric stuff.
- High-Voltage Death: The real cause of his death.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: But only the way the body was set. The cause of death was different.
- Ridiculously Average Guy: He tries hard to not to be this, remarking several of his talents during one of the characterization chapters.
Ex-Super High School Level DetectiveA hardworking and smart man, who got labeled as one of the most brilliant investigative minds of the century. In the shelter, hes the one who pushes the most towards finding the identity of the Mastermind and the reasons behind their situation. One of the contributors to the trials. Victim of Chapter 2, due to internal bleeding caused by a signal interceptor and finished off with a screwdriver wound to the neck.
- The Ace: Said to be the best mind of the century. Its yet to be seen if his investigation about the Masterminds identity was correct, but his death seems to point that it was.
- Alliterative Name
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Its possible his death is considered one (being subjected to internal bleeding by a malfunctioning signal interceptor and then stabbed with a screwdriver).
- Determinator: By far the graduate who made the biggest efforts to find out who the Mastermind is, and went to great lengths to find the answer. Only his death stopped him.
- If I Do Not Return: He wrote all his deductions on a notebook, in case he was killed by the Mastermind or somebody else. Sadly it doesnt work, as the killer found it by chance and destroyed the notebook.
- Nice Hat
- The Spock: He certainly isnt one to show a lot of emotions, but he has in mind the greater good, even if it could be said that his investigation could be just because hes trapped as well.
- The Stoic
- Story-Breaker Power: Its a crime and mystery story. Of course a professional detective would be really useful in this case.
- Tempting Fate: All the lines about him making progress and narrowing it down to two suspects were really calling for him to be killed.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair
VolkosA member of Diavolos Avante. Its hinted that this person may be the one behind the events of the story.
- Big Bad: Apparently this person is the one behind Monobear.
VeritasA member of Diavolos Avante. Hes treated as the superior of another two members, but it isnt clear if he has a higher rank than the rest.
ValkyrieA female member of Diavolos Avante. Seems to be one of Veritas underlings.
- The Dragon: To Veritas, along with Vieiras.
VieirasA male member of Diavolos Avante. Seems to be one of Veritas underlings.
- The Dragon: To Veritas, along with Valkyrie.