The intro sets nearly every expectation for this series as a run-of-the-mill harem comedy with a little magic thrown in...which it is, as far as that goes. The real hook is that every person in the world has a set number of uses of magic that they're born with, be that a handful, to a few hundreds, or well beyond. Once a person uses their last magic, their body turns to ash and they die. Aoi Gakuen is a school which prides itself on the fact that the average number of uses of magic of its students ranges well into the tens of thousands. Meanwhile, Kazuki's grand total is... Eight. However, because of a coincidence of powerful mages in his family tree, each of his eight spells is more powerful than anything any other mage in the world is capable of.
So, Kazuki has three girls fighting over him, and his whole class mad at him, since no one can figure out any good reason why any of the (arguably) three most beautiful girls in the school are suddenly hanging all over him. Beyond that, he's such a happy-go-lucky fellow that he burns one of his eight uses of magic to save a girl's bentou (box lunch) from falling on the ground, and thinks nothing of doing it.
The supporting cast is arguably more humorous than the main characters most of the time, with the antics of the school doctor, Akai-sensei, particularly not to be missed.
For those in the US, the series can legally be watched at Crunchyroll.
- Accidental Pervert: Kazuki, in one hilarious incident, he accidentally walks into a room where Yuna is changing. While he quickly steps out, he realizes shortly afterwards that she was changing in his room.
- Apologizes a Lot: Kuriko tells Kazuki he does this too much in one episode, and his response is to apologize.
- Back from the Dead: The point of the second half.
- Balanced Harem: For the most part. None of them have a significant lead over the other girls.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Most noticeable in episode 9, when they visit the hot springs.
- Averted in episode 19 when you see nipples on Kuriko and Yamase.
- Battle Aura
- Childhood Friend Romance:
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Yuna, after learning that Nakamaru had less than pure motives for checking up on Kazuki in the nurse's office, beats him up a little bit when he's caught spying on Kazuki again.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Subverted, Yamase is introduced in one episode, then seems to be promptly forgotten. She shows up again in later episodes, and she gets much more screen time and character development.
- Wham Episode: Episode 12. Kazuki uses his last spell and turns to ash, although he "survives" as a ghost.
- Wizarding School: Pretty much the whole point of the school. Everyone there has a vast pool of magic aside from Kazuki.
- Subverted in that there's little, if any indication that magic is being taught.
- Writers Cannot Do Math: At the rate most of the students use spells, even the more powerful ones would be out of magic by their mid-20s.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Kuriko, as seen in this page's picture.