The megaphone is optional.
When simply saying it doesn't work, someone screams "Shut up!" at another person (or group of people) when annoyed, upset, or pissed off. Could also be uttered when trying to put a Super-Powered Evil Side
in its place. Variations include "SHUT THE HELL UP!", "QUIET!", "SHUT YOUR MOUTH/FACE!", "SILENCE!", etc. The Japanese version, very common, is "URUSAI!
", literally 'noisy!' Occasionally applied literally to Shut Up, Hannibal!
Compare Silence, You Fool!
, Ceiling Banger
, and- SHUT UP!!
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Afro Samurai has this moment on the penultimate episode said to a perpetually complaining Ninja Ninja. It qualifies as a Big "Shut Up!" due to the fact that the normally absolutely silent Afro raises his voice, if only slightly.
- Shakugan no Shana: Whenever Shana gets frustrated, she'll shout "Shut up, shut up, shut up!" ("Urusai, Urusai, Urusai!" in Japanese). Usually to Yuji.
- Kagami tends to give only big shut ups to Konata in Lucky Star.
- D.Gray-Man: When in the middle of one of their arguments and told to calm down, Kanda and even Allen tell Lavi and another guy "Shut the hell up!"
- One occurs in a funny scene in episode 16 of Neon Genesis Evangelion:
Makoto Hyuga: You look pretty worn to the bone, Major Katsuragi.
Misato Katsuragi: I have reasons for being worn. Private ones.
Ritsuko Akagi: Kaji's bone?
Misato Katsuragi: Shut your face!!!
- Osanai does four big shut ups to Paprika when the latter accuses him of being "the Chairman's pet dog" and of once being "Himuro's idol".
- Naruto says this to Chiyo when the latter tells him to calm down following Gaara's death.
- Chapter 485 had a scene where Sasuke screamed at Naruto to shut up after the latter told him he understood the reason behind his actions.
- Naruto to Pain when the latter tries to give him a Breaking Speech.
- In Chapter 619, when the Hokage are revived, Tobirama tells his older brother Hashirama SILENCE!. It even made it onto the Memes:Naruto page
- SHUT UP, TAILS!
- In the Japanese version of the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime, Pegasus tells Dark Bakura to shut up after the latter read his past like an open book through Duel Monster cards used as Tarot cards.
Bakura: So your social status and your actions are in fact a mask concealing your true intentions. An extremely roundabout way of reaching a goal hidden in the depths of your heart. And this goal is—
Pegasus: SHUT UP! Shut your mouth!
- Bleach: Szayel does this to his Fraccion once they start making a commotion following Ishida's Big Damn Heroes moment.
- Grimmjow to Nel when the latter won't stop crying following Ichigo's 'death'. And continually when Orihime heals Ichigo back to consciousness as he's impatient to fight Ichigo.
- Ichigo in chapter 474. When Ginjo starts telling Ichigo about the true purpose of the Substitute Soul Reaper badge, Uryu tells him not to listen, and Ichigo screams "SHUT UP!". In the next chapter Ginjo asks Ichigo if he's turning his eyes away from reality again, and Ichigo responds with another "Shut up," clarifying that this one was for him and the last one was for Uryu, telling him not to worry about how what was said might have affected him.
- In episode one of Betrayal Knows My Name Uzuki does a big shut up to Yuki.
- In episode five a little girl remembers her mom screaming "Shut up!" before hitting her.
- Hotsuma does this to Yuki when the latter expresses concern for him.
- One Piece: Luffy sort of pulls this when Usopp wants to ask Rayleigh about the One Piece. Luffy doesn't want to learn anything about One Piece until he actually finds it, because it's more fun that way.
Usopp: I want to ask something too! The legendary treasure One Piece...does it really—
- This was also his response to Chopper's timid refusal to join his crew.
Luffy: SHUT UP! LET'S GOOOOO!!!!
- Code Geass: "Mao!" (hits his Geass) "NEVER SPEAK AGAIN!" Some fansubbers actually translated it as "SHUT UP!"
- In Unico in the Island of Magic, Lord Kuruku does a pretty crazy version of this, out of nowhere, to Cheri right before turning her into a living puppet.
Cheri: Kuruku, listen-
Kuruku: Oh, SHUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!! NO LONGER DO I TAKE ORDERS FROM HUMANS! YOUR TIME HAS COME!
- Berserk: Guts to Griffith during their first duel after Griffith asks Guts if he wants to stop the duel so he can recover from his wounds.
- Ed to Shou Tucker in Fullmetal Alchemist after he tries to say he transmuted his daughter and dog into a chimera For Science!.
- Persona 4 The Animation: During the battle between Adachi and the Investigation Team, Adachi starts shouting this during the heroes' collective "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- Koenma of YuYu Hakusho does this once:
Koenma: Are we as stupid as my blue ogre monkey boy? Are we really as stupid as George Saotome?
George: [begins picking up some papers] That's the first time you've said my name, sir.
Koenma: SHUT UP!
- Cody/Iori in Adventure 02 at least once. Given that sometimes he's the Only Sane Man on the team, it shouldn't be a surprise.
- One of the early Patlabor episodes, the maintenance team's boat (which they use for fishing) has run aground, one of the Patlabor units fell into the bay trying to get it out, and maintenance chief Sakaki is on his way back (and he won't be satisfied with pitching all of them into the bay). Cue mass panic, everyone running everywhere babbling at 100 mph. Suddenly in (accented) english.
Kanuka: SHUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!
- Yuri is forced into this twice in Episode 5 of Angel Beats! to get her cohorts to stop arguing in class. Both times it attracts Angel's attention and Otonashi is forced to make up some excuse to cover for her outburst.
- In the original ElfQuest series after the Wolfriders defeat Winnowil's and Leetah is at work using her healing power to revive Lord Voll after being rendered unconscious by the villainness, one of the Gliders protests that the "savage" mustn't touch him. At that insult after all that has happened, One-Eye roars "Shut your beak!"
- Darkhorse's Oktane provides the page image.
- Hellboy is so sick of Not So Different speeches and people trying to convince him that You Can't Fight Fate that this is practically his CatchPhrase.
- In The Defenders 2005 miniseries Doctor Strange tries to halt Namor and Bruce Banner's bickering (which has been going on non-stop since they both arrived at the Sanctum) with one of these. It has little effect:
Banner: -wings on the feet are a trifle fey, don't you think? Or do you not know what that means either?
Namor: I understand your slur full well-
Namor: -and any man - even a myopic baboon such as yourself - who impugns Namor's manhood must pay the-
Strange: SHUT UP!
Banner: 'Scuse me, your lowness, but I think he was talking to you!
Films — Animated
- Two instances in Pinocchio:
- Jiminy Cricket can't sleep because of all the snoring and ticking clocks in Geppetto's shop, so he yells, "QUIET!" They all freeze and all is silent.
- When Pinocchio yells to be let out of the cage Stromboli put him in, the latter shouts, "QUIET! SHUT UP! Before I knock-a you silly!"
- Tulio from The Road to El Dorado yells, "STOP!" so loudly that an erupting volcano becomes dormant in the background.
- Happens during the climax of The Aristocats when Roquefort the mouse orders Edgar and several cats to stop fighting each other so he can focus on getting Duchess and her kittens out a crate that's bound for Timbuktu. Once the lock was unlocked, after a few seconds, they resume fighting shortly afterwards.
- In Pixar's Finding Nemo when Nigel is about to eat a crab:
Seagulls: MINE? MINE? MINE? MINE? MINE? MINE? MINE? MINE? MINE?
Nigel: Would you all just SHUUUUTT UPPPP??! You're rats with wings!!
- In Fun and Fancy Free, when Donald Duck is starving:
Edgar Bergen: (narrating) But Donald doesn't whimper... Donald doesn't give up...
Donald: SHUT UP!!!
- Earlier in Saludos Amigos, as Donald struggles to cross a rickety, falling-apart suspension bridge on a llama:
Narrator: The traveler should be cautioned against any reckless behavior at this high altitude. Overexertion is dangerous. And above all, one should never lose one's temper.
Donald: SHUT UP, YOU BIG WINDBAG!
- 101 Dalmatians: Jasper gives Cruella an "Awwwww shyaddup" when she starts berating them after the car wreck.
- Aladdin: The Return of Jafar: From Iago to Jafar. "Hey, Jafar! SHUT UUUUUUP!" Also a Call Back - Jafar's last line in the first movie was one of these to Iago as the two were flung into the distance.
- Ratigan of The Great Mouse Detective screams at his hostage to "sit down and shut UP" when she starts calling him names and pulls on his tail.
- Lampy in The Brave Little Toaster receives this after too many of his ideas on what to use for their vehicle fail. Radio is the first to shout this, although his ideas are no better.
- Brother Bear: Two rams shout this at their own echos.
Ram 1: Hey! Shut up!
Echo: Hey! Shut up!
Ram 1: No, you shut up!
Echo: No, you shut up!
Ram 2: No, you shut up!
Echo: No, you shut up!
Ram 1: Hey, will you shut up?!
Echo: Hey, will you shut up?!
Ram 2: No.
Ram 1: JUST SHUT UP!!!
- In Brave, when the clans are all arguing and demanding to know where Queen Elinor is:
Merida: SHUT IT!!!
Films — Live-Action
- The Big Lebowski
"Shut the fuck up, Donny!"
- Billy Madison
- Kung Fu Hustle: SHUT THE HELL UPPPPPPPPPP!!!! Actually becomes a plot point.
- At the end of an exchange in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure:
Ted: Now your dad's goin' for it. In your own room!
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Ted: Remember when I asked her to the prom?
Bill: SHUT UP, TED!
- Arnold Schwarzenegger does one of these in Kindergarten Cop when the classroom full of children drives him to it.
- Rose does this in the second half of Titanic when she's had enough of her mother's self-centered attitude.
- Donnie Darko has poor old Cherita Chen yelling "CHUT UP" at Donnie for some Mind Screwy reason.
- Played for laughs in The Gamers, after the titular gamers' PCs defeat the Bandit King:
Mark, the Red: Three Cheers for the archer! Hup hup -
All characters: Huzzah!
Mark, the Red: Hup hup -
All characters: Huzzah!
Mark, the Red: Hup hup -
The Studying Girl From Down The Hall, Intruding On The Fantasy: SHUT UP!!!
- Mars Attacks!. General Decker tries to get the U.S. President to order a nuclear strike on the Martians.
Decker: We're already at war, sir! We have to nuke them! We must nuke them now!
President: General Decker, if you do not shut up, I'll relieve you of your command.
Decker: We must strike now, sir! Annihilate! Kill! Kill!
President: Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!
- Harry to Aunt Marge in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban when she keeps insulting his family.
- Harry tries to call a Quidditch tryout to order in Half Blood Prince. He isn't quite loud enough, so Ginny intervenes with a very helpful "SHUT IT!"
- ĦThree Amigos!!.
Lucky Day: Not so fast, El Guapo! Or I'll fill you so full of lead, you'll be using your dick for a pencil.
El Guapo: What do you mean?
Lucky Day: I don't know.
I think he means that if you...
El Guapo: SHUT UP!
- Harry to Peter in the third Spider-Man movie after Peter tries to explain that he didn't kill Harry's father.
- The Moai did this in Night at the Museum.
- In Wanted, Wesley's conversation with his boss after meeting The Fraternity:
Boss: Management skills? POOR!, Attitude? POOR!, 'Works well with others?' Hah! That's a fucking Joke! *looks at computer* What's this? Some asshole gets his head blown off on—
Wesley: SHUT THE FUCK UP!
- Vince McCain delivers one of these to chronic talker "Bugsy" Malone in Fierce Creatures, who of course ignores him as he would anyone saying it more quietly. Vince gets so irritated that he goes to get a gun, but this merely prompts a Not With the Safety On, You Won't and a change of the subject to that of guns.
- One of the prison guards in A Clockwork Orange: "SHUT YOUR BLEEDING HOLE!"
- Transformers. "SHUT UP, GRANDMA!"
- Being the Only Sane Man in Pulp Fiction, Jules resorts to a profanity-laced version of this quite often, especially when dealing with his Too Dumb to Live partner.
- In Monty Python and the Holy Grail, when someone very reasonably suggests that the reason a carver's death throe was engraved in stone is because he was dictating, everyone in unison yells at him to shut up.
- Hot Fuzz. Okay, we all know how this goes by now. So say it with me. On the count of three. One, two, three:
- SHUT. UP!
- In Punch Drunk Love, Adam Sandler's character threatens Philip Seymour Hoffman and gets this response:
"SHUT UP! SHUT THE FUCK UP! Shut up, will you SHUT UP? SHUT UP! SHUT-SHUT-SHUT-SHUT-SHUT UP... SHUT UP! NOW... are you threatening me, dick?"
- How Miss Scarlet ends the "is there a bullet left in the revolver?" argument in Clue.
- In the live-action 101 Dalmatians'', when all the villains are arrested at the end:
Cruella: Congratulations. You three have just won the bronze, silver, and gold medals in the Moron's Olympics.
Cruella: SHUT UP!'''
- In The Empire Strikes Back, 3PO is about to do a second instance of stating the odds of a crazy move by Han, but instead of Han saying "Never Tell Me the Odds" again, Leia snaps at 3PO to shut up.
- In episode IV Luke interrupts 3PO while they're in the garbage chute by saying, "Will you shut up and listen to me?!"
- High School Musical: Sharpay sings one of these during "Stick to the Status Quo".
Sharpay: Everybody QUI-ET!
- Max Keeble's Big Move
- In The Dark Knight, when Harvey Dent, now Two-Face, interrogates Michael Wuertz and he tries to bullshit his way out of it, his response is this, full of pure vitriol and downright offense that he would so insult his intelligence.
- The Martians in Spaced Invaders fleeing a mob of townsfolk after their supposed super-weapon suffers an Epic Fail:
Corporal Pez: "Prepare to die, Earth scum. Prepare to die, Earth scum!" I'm gonna make sure they carve that on your tombstone!
Lieutenant Giggywig: Ahhhhh, SHUT UP!!!
- In Trick or Treat (1986), the resurrected demonic rocker Sammi Curr shows up at Eddie's friend Roger's house, pins him against the wall, and this exchange takes place:
Roger: I am a big fan of yours. I have all your albums—
Sammi: SHUT UP!
- In The Breakfast Club, Andrew tells Brian to shut up, and Claire screams it at John a few times.
- When John Bender is illustrating life at his own house, he yells "Shut up, bitch! Go fix me a turkey pot pie!" in an imitation of how his father deals with his wife.
- At the end of Red State, Abin Cooper is sermonizing to himself in his prison cell when another inmate (voiced by director Kevin Smith) tells him "Shut the fuck up!"
- In The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Riff Raff drops one of these on Magenta when they're BOTH in the middle of a laughing fit after Eddie's corpse is revealed under the table.
- In Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix after Harry is proven innocent in the court, Fred, George, and Ginny do a war dance to the tune of "He got off, he got off, he got off..." which makes Mrs. Weasley invoke this trope.
- The Honeymooners: Ralph Kramden shouts this a lot, usually at Ed Norton when he has a laugh at his expense.
- In Star Trek: The Original Series, "Journey to Babel", McCoy to Spock and Kirk.
Kirk: Dr. McCoy, I believe you're enjoying all this.
Spock: Indeed, captain. I've never seen him look so happy.
McCoy: Shut up! (Kirk opens his mouth) Shh! Shhh!
- Star Trek: The Next Generation has the episode Datalore which has a Crowning Moment of Funny, when Wesley insists that Data's Evil Twin is posing as him. Picard finally snaps "Shut up, Wesley!"
- Then Dr. Crusher gets offended and starts bickering with Picard. When Wesley speaks up again, she snaps, "Shut up, Wesley!"
- In Future Imperfect, when Riker realizes he's just been put through a Faked Rip Van Winkle, he unloads one of these on the image of "Admiral" Picard:
Riker: Shut up!
"Picard": I beg your pardon?
Riker: I said "Shut up!" As in "close your mouth and stop talking!"
- In Greys Anatomy Christina earns a Crowning Moment of Awesome when she tells Meredith at the beginning of the fifth season what most of us have been thinking for years in one little speech: "SHUT UP!!"
- Gossip Girl: Blair and Serena scream this at one another during their Cat Fight in 2.06 "New Haven Can Wait."
- In the Series Finale of Newhart, the Daryls did this to their new wives.
- Curb Your Enthusiasm: Larry David to his secretary: "SHUT THE FUCK UP!"
- Graeme did one in an episode of The Goodies, to quiet down Tim and Bill bickering Like an Old Married Couple. It's overpowering.
- On Gilmore Girls, it takes five and a half seasons and an almost-destroyed romance, but Lorelai finally smacks Emily down: "MOM! Please hear me. If I want your input in my life in any way, shape or form, I will ask for it. Until then, do us all a favor and shut up!" Arguably also a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- JD's epic rant on Scrubs starts with about 4 of these.(One for each of the people he's annoyed at.)
- Chappelle's Show: During the Mad Real World sketch, when Chad is trying to get a good night's rest because he has to work in the morning while all the other housemates are up partying loudly. He finally reaches his breaking point and goes downstairs, launching into a furious tirade at the others.
- Friends: 'Pivot! Pivot! PIVOT!' 'Shut up! SHUT UP! SHUT UUUUUP!'
- Doctor Who
- In the episode "The Lodger", the Doctor does this to Craig after he headbutts him, revealing his true identity.
- Does it even earlier to Jackie in "The Christmas Invasion". He's still getting over his regeneration sickness and keeps trying to say "I need...I need...I need," only for Jackie to cut him off with suggestions. He eventually snaps "I need you to shut up!" Jackie snarks that he hasn't changed that much.
- And even earlier, in "The Parting of the Ways": (to the Daleks): "I've got five billion languages and you haven't got one way of stopping me, so if anybody's going to shut up...IT'S YOU!!"
- In "The Idiot's Lantern"", the Jerkass father tries to cut the Doctor off by shouting that he is talking...only for the Doctor to start bellowing that he is not listening, and informing him, in no uncertain terms, that if he doesn't let the Doctor help, there's going to be no end of trouble, finishing off by demanding that the guy tell him what's going on.
- This actually seems to be a pretty common trope with the Doctor.
- That '70s Show episode "Canadian Road Trip":
Mountie #1: What's your reason for coming to Canada?
Leo: What's your re-
Mountie #2: SHUT UP!
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Satellite of Love crew is known to invoke this whenever a character really gets on their nerves, usually an Odious Comic Relief who doesn't know when to quit.
- Crow unleashes a Giant Shut Up at the end of Invasion of the Neptune Men.
- In the Alien from L.A. episode, the two robots and Mike simultaneously shout "SHUT UP!" to the annoying female protagonist. Can be seen here. (Right at the 30 minute mark)
- A running gag in the Godzilla vs. Megalon episode has the cast constantly being annoyed by Rokuro's dialogue. When Rokuro shouts goodbye to Godzilla when he leaves, Joel, Servo, and Crow all unanimously shout this trope in total frustration.
- Penn Jillette is fond of these.
SHUT. THE FUCK. UP!!!
- On several occasions in the early seasons of M*A*S*H, Col. Blake would try to get everyone's attention, but people wouldn't stop talking until Radar yelled "QUI-ET!"
- The following exchange happened at least twice on What's Happening?
Roger: Shut up, Dee!
Mom: Roger, that's no way to talk to your sister.
Dee: That's right. You tell him, Mama.
Mom: Shut up, Dee!
- In an episode of The Office (US) where Michael wants to hire a male stripper, according to his understanding of "seperate but equal" (He was hiring a female stripper for a bachelor party.)
Angela: Under no circumstances should a man strip off his clothes in this office!
Meredith: SHUT UP ANGELA!
- Breaking Bad has Skyler shouting this, multiple times, at her sister Marie.
- It Ain't Half Hot Mum has Sgt Major Williams, one of the old masters of these. Several times per episode he would bellow some variant of "SHUUUUUUUT UP!!!"
- All in the Family
- One of the many Running Gags in El Chavo del ocho involves multiple people talking (often the students in the school episodes), and one of the authority figures (often Prof. Jirafales) giving one these (usually followed by a Seven Minute Lull involving the title character).
- In Malcolm in the Middle Hal has a slow and steady nervous breakdown as he tries to contend with the future of his children, where he keeps personifying his confused thoughts as miniature versions of himself that only he can see, ranging from Cowboy Hal, to Spaceman Hal, and even Fonzie Hal. Eventually, he has a small LEGION of Hals all over his bedroom, and listening to the conflicted personas all talking at once finally causes him to dash out the bedroom and burst into the living room of his house in front of all to see, and let out a big, fat:
Hal: SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!
- The Spam sketch from Monty Python's Flying Circus features several screeching "SHUT UP!"s from the hostess whenever the Vikings start singing.
- The eponymous Sherlock is often like this at crime scenes, and whenever someone's disturbing his thoughts by being too loud.
- On ER, fed up with Kerry Weaver's incessant nagging—she disapproves of his intent to revive a patient who has revoked her DNR order and as such, is crabbing at him while he tries to work—Mark Green finally grows a pair and delivers one of these to her, telling her to "shut up or get out".
- One hilarious episode of Ultraman Max has everyone in DASH forget who they are or what to do in the middle of a monster attack. Elly, the stoic Android who is unaffected by the amnesia is the only one who can help DASH fight the monster, but everyone's forgetfulness (including Ultraman Max himself) causes her frustration to uncharacteristically boil over into shouting this to everyone in attendance. Once the situation worsens and more monsters show up, she quickly regains her stoticness.
- Linkin Park, with the bridge of One Step Closer.
- Korn has a song called "Right Now". At one part the lyrics "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up, I'll fuck you up!" are screamed.
- They say this cat Shaft is one bad mother-
- Shouted in Ayria's "The Gun Song" between the verses.
- "Louder Than Words" by Celldweller.
- "But Julian, I'm A Little Bit Older Than You" by Courtney Love.
- "Told You So" by Drowning Pool, seven times during the chorus.
- "Shut Up" by Kelly Osbourne
- "Shut Up and Dance" by Aerosmith
- Doctor Steel: STOP!
- David Bowie drops it twice at the end of It's No Game (Part One), from 1980's Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps).
- "Shut the Fuck Up and Dance!" by Adrenaline (aka Richard "Humpty" Vission)
- "Sadface" by Psychostick is about useless Facebook post and Twitter updates. At one point it's just "Shut up. Shut up! Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!!!"
All that I ever wanted was to reach out to my friends. Instead i'm drowning in a sea of bitching, whining, moaning, and complaining about the weather. BLOCK! Fighting with your lover. BLOCK! Griping about the government BLOCK! Preaching about the environment. BLOCK! I hate my parents- BLOCK! I lost my wallet- BLOCK! I'm totally bored- BLOCK! I feel so- BLOCK! I- BLOCK! But- BLOCK! Please- BLOCK!
- Motorhead give a loud one at the start of Killed By Death.
- Animal of The Muppets has been known to shout "QUIET!" on occasion, followed by a relatively low key "Thank you."
- Any time Seaman "Fatso" Johnson was about to inadvertently spill the beans on CPO Pertwee's latest scheme on The Navy Lark, Pertwee would quickly silence him with a sharp and loud "BELT UP!".
- As would any number of the other members of the Pertwee clan, all of whom were every bit as conniving as the CPO.
- There numerous, hilarious versions of this on The Jack Benny Show. Many times, various people, often Mary Livingstone and Verna Felton (as Dennis Day's mother), would snap at Jack to shut up to keep him from making some corny joke. Sometimes, Jack would give it in response to someone either pointing out the obvious, or the flaw in a gag, or his ego. Most of the time, though, it would be Jack hollering "Wait a minute!" at his quartet, the Sportsmen, in a futile attempt to stop them from going crazy with their latest wacky song.
- Towards the end of Vanities' third scene:
Joanne(to Kathy): If I thought you didn't care, I don't know what I'd do.
Mary: Probably get drunk!
Joanne: OH, YOU SHUT UP! At least I won't end up old and lonely like you. I don't need a neon prick for kicks!
- In the play We Are United, in the final challenge Jack says, "Ok everyone let's work together." Everyone responds by saying, "BE QUIET JACK!"
- In The Most Happy Fella, Tony, despite suffering serious injuries, manages to silence Marie's hysterical objections to his marrying Rosabella by shouting, "Shut up, Marie!" at the top of his voice.
- Final Fantasy VII: Cloud's "Shut up!" textbox actually covers Sephiroth's "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- In Psychonauts, Raz says "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" to the cheerleaders urging him on to victory in the Punching Game in Basic Braining in the same rhythm as their cheers.
- Koudelka has this as well when the title character is held hostage by a mad groundskeeper.
- "You're crazy-"
- "SHUT UUUUUUUUUUP!"
- In RosenkreuzStilette, if already having defeated Trau, Zorne would tell Tia, "Shut up *shut up* SHUT UP!!" when Tia desperately tried to talk her into calming down and listening to her.
- This is all Sanger has to say in order to get the opponent's attention in Super Robot Wars.
- Portal 2 gives us this gem:
Announcer: Warning. Core overheating. Nuclear meltdown imminent.
Wheatley: SHUT UP!
- At one point in Knights of the Old Republic you can say this during the argument between Sandral and Matale.
- Motoko Miura from Rumble! @ The Campus, especially when Akane Miyahara's Noblewoman's Laugh is involved.
Akane: (after being rejected by Motoko in a fight on schoolgrounds) Oh, you don't wanna fight?. Ah, what a shame.
Motoko: What do you mean?
Akane: Why, cant you see it?. You?, avoiding a fight?, that's COWARDICE! (incoming Noblewoman's Laugh)
Motoko: SHUUUUUT UUUUPPPPPP!!!!!!.
- One of the last cutscenes to the story mode of Sonic Unleashed has one from Eggman after his servant Orbot unintentionally tears him a new one for losing to Sonic again
Orbot: You can simply begin your plans anew. Even if all of your efforts this last time were utterly wasted. Even if it was a complete and utter humiliating loss. Even the most pathetic loser in all the world would surely have the chance to—
Eggman: OOOOOOOOOOH SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!
- He does again at the end of Sonic Colors while being sucked into a black hole.
Eggman: (over the PA system) We at Eggman's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park ensure that safety is our number one priority.
Eggman: (about to be sucked in) Oh, SHUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!
- At one point in Hyperdimension Neptunia, Neptune does this to get the attention a warring crowd on Leanbox.
Neptune: AAAAAARGH! SHUUUU-UUUUUT UP! SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
- This is basically what Simon Blackquill's "SILENCE!" shout is in Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destinies. The Japanese version of this shout, "DAMA RI NA!", has the literal translation of "STOP TALKING!".
- Mega 64: In "The Gangs Returned To Class And Became Honor Students," Dr. Poque has three of these in a row when the rest of the cast is too busy talking about pranks to listen to him.
- There is one in a Machinima called "100 More Ways To Die In Garry's Mod." The method? "Hearing the loudest thing ever."
- And now you can have your very own SHUT UP button! Just go to http://instantsfun.es and click the "SHUT UP!" button!
- Phelous did it when he finally got tired of The Nostalgia Critic in Kickassia.
- MarzGurl utilizes the "Urusai" version while dressed as Princess Mononoke (speaking only in Japanese) in Suburban Knights when Film Brain and Luke get into a quarrel over who gets to dress up as Harry Potter.
- Redvs Blue has quite a lot, but Church deserves first place:
Church: ROOKIE! SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP, YOU'RE DRIVING ME CRAZY, GET IN THERE!
- Most Smosh videos begin with an obnoxious statement relating to the episode, followed by that shout of "SHUT UP!"'
- In one of the videos, the shout of "SHUT UP!" instead used the shout, "SHUT UP! THAT SONG'S COPYRIGHTED!"
- Smosh's Shut Up Cartoons had a intro with an anvil and the yell, "SHUT UP!", along with the word "Cartoons" showing up at the bottom of the anvil and someone saying, "Cartoons!"
- Episode 1 of Echo Chamber has Tom attempting to compare Show Within a Show to Schroedingers Cat (poorly). Dana tries to get him to stop by throwing chalk at him and yelling "SHUT UP" over and over again.
- Homestar Runner: In an Easter egg, at the end of the Cheat Commandos toon, "Commandos In the Classroom", there is a scene of Blue Laser foot soldiers dressed up as giant slices of pizza:
A Blue Laser Minion: (to the commander) Um... I'm not entirely sure this is what they were talking about, sir.
Blue Laser Commander: SHUT IT! Pizza can't talk!
- At around 6:37 of this Retsupurae of IJustine's infamously awful Portal2 Let's Play, RP newcomer foreverpandering explodes with one of these.
- A Running Gag of Clement J 642's Sonic Let's Plays is Clement making a remark about Knuckles the Echidna's intelligence, and Knuckles promptly replying with one of these.
- Codename: Kids Next Door: In Operation: D.A.T.E. Lizzie appears as Numbuh 1 is confronting the Delightful Children:
Lizzie: "Nigel Uno, I'd like a word with you!"
Delightful Children: "What is the meaning of th-"
Lizzie: "SHUT UP!!!!"
- Various times on Looney Tunes, usually phrased as "AAAAH SHADDUP!"
- This was often one of Sylvester's catchphrases (besides "Sufferin' succotash!")
- Rocky and Bullwinkle: Whenever Boris' latest fiendish plan fails (and it always does), he tells Natasha to "Shaddup your mouth!"
- Subverted hilariously in one episode, "Greenpernt Oogle", when, trapped in their own mine field, Boris tells Natasha, "Next time I get fiendish plan, do me big favor? SHADDUP MY MOUTH!"
- Natasha does just that in "The Treasure of Monte Zoom" when Boris and Natasha inadvertently drive a car off a cliff:
Natasha: Boris, we're falling!
Boris: Raskolnikov! If those goody-goods think they...
Natasha: Do me one favor before we hit.
Boris: Certainly, poopsie.
Natasha: SHARRUP YOUR MOUTH!!!
- Raven of Teen Titans screamed "QUIET!" in the movies when the others wouldn't stop arguing.
- The Super Mario World episode "The Yoshi Shuffle" has Roy deliver this to Morton in a Looney Tunes-like manner. "AAAAH SHADDUP! We'll never get started!"
- "SHUT UP, RATTRAP!"
- Rattrap and Dinobot simultaneously do this and a Talk to the Fist to Tarantulas. Why? He was interrupting their continuing argument.
- In the Woody Woodpecker cartoon Niagara Fools. After the third time the park ranger goes over the falls in a barrel (all while trying to stop Woody from doing it), he yells it to the crowd of yellow-raincoat-clad onlookers who cheer "Hooray!" every time he goes over.
- The Powerpuff Girls: In the episode "Los Dos Mojos", when Bubbles (who, thanks to amnesia, thinks she's Mojo Jojo) rants that she is the real Mojo Jojo, the real real Mojo shouts at her, "Oh, shut up!" before walloping her with an I-beam that caused her to lose her memory in the first place (only this time, she is cured).
- Done a couple of times by the title character in Rocko's Modern Life: one in "Day of the Flecko" when an increasingly obnoxious loud bird won't stop chirping (complete with a loud New Jersyese "CHOIP! CHOIP! CHOIP!" from the bird), and in "Zanzibar" when the crowd keeps interrupting him by singing during his speech.
- The Simpsons: "How did you get this number?" Homer: "SHUT UP!"
- Jay Sherman is fond of these.
- My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic sees Twilight Sparkle doing this in "The Ticket Master", interrupting her friends' argument over the extra ticket to the Grand Galloping Gala with "QUIET!"
- In My Little Pony Equestria Girls, Twilight shouts "STOP!" to break up an argument between the Alternate Universe versions of Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie.
- Lots of occurrences of this on Total Drama Island. Namely:
- TDI: Owen, Heather, and Izzy, "The Sucky Outdoors", to a bird whose singing is just a little bit aggravating
- TDA: In the Reunion Special "Celebrity Manhunt", Gwen is shown giving one of these to Katie and Sadie on her webshow.
Gwen: Hey. Today I want to talk about going green. Basically the earth is going to DIE if we don't do something about it!
Sadie: Hey Katie, remember when we went "green"?
Katie: Oh my gosh, when we painted my bedroom green, and we got into that huge paint fight, and it was so much fun.
Sadie: But just because we got into one little paint fight doesn't mean we're not BFF's!
Gwen: Guys? Shut up shut up shut up shut up!!
Katie: (turns around to display a splash of green paint on the back of her shorts) And look! I'm still green!
Gwen: UGH! You were supposed to wait for the signal, remember?
Katie: Sorry, Gwen. It's just that your show's kind of...
Katie and Sadie: ...bad.
Gwen: Why did LeShawna bail on me?
- Beavis And Butthead have been told to shut up numerous times by their teachers. Mr. Buzzcut has threatened to kill students who didn't shut-up.
- In Regular Show, this has practically become Rigby's Catch Phrase.
- Along with "STOP TALKING!"
- A Crowning Moment of Funny in the "Secret Scrolls" episode of Sonic Sat AM. The heroes' plane is diving out of control and Antoine is yelling manically.
All: Antoine, SHUT UP!
Antoine: BUNNIE! WOULD YOU PLEASE TO BE SHUTTING UP YOUR OWN FACE?!'''
- In Family Guy, Joe Swanson does this impressively... to a telephone.
THIS IS MY WHEELCHAIR! THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT, BUT THIS ONE IS MINE! WITHOUT ME MY WHEELCHAIR IS USELESS! WITH MY WHEELCHAIR, I AM USELESS! (telephone rings) Joe: SHUT UP!!! Telephone: Okaaayyy!!
- The judge in Pluto's Judgement Day.
- Joe Bear in the Tex Avery-directed cartoon, "Rock-a-Bye Bear", does this a lot in a very loud voice whenever he hears the slightest bit of noise:
Joe: SHUT UP!! QUIET! I SAID QUIET!! WHAT'S THE MATTER?!! YOU DEEF OR SOMETHIN'?!
- Dan Vs.. has a lot of these.
- In the Episode Dan Vs. the Wolfman, Dan has a trick-or-treater dressed as a werewolf tied up and hanging from the ceiling whenever the kid says help Dan yells "Quiet!" one other time the kid whines "I wanna go home." Dan and Chris both yell "QUIET!"
- In the recent episode Dan vs. The Gym Chris feels motivated even though they've been forced to power the evil robots he then says what the instructor said to him, Elise, the Hippy guy, and one other extra simultaneously say, "Shut up."
- You'll end up screaming "Shut up!" at the person that pushed your buttons if your stress levels are high enough.
- Hilariously this parrot.
- The King of Spain told Hugo Chavez to shut up at the Ibero-American summit of 2007 after Chavez called a former Prime Minister of Spain a fascist. King Juan Carlos considered the incident embarrassing. Many others considered it a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- During the final moments of his campaign for President, a tired Ronald Reagan kept getting interrupted by a heckler at one of his rallies, until he finally just snapped "Aw, shut up!" Needless to say, the crowd immediately cheered loudly.