Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 05 E 16 Alien From LA
Film watched: Alien from L.A.
Targets for jokes included the ridiculous Australian accent employed by Gus, Kathy Ireland
's squeaky voice and lack of acting talent, the design of Atlantis, which evoked numerous films such as Blade Runner and the Mad Max series, Charmin's name, and much, much more.
The MST3K treatment provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion
- Big "Shut Up!": At one point in the film, Mike and the bots simultaneously shouted "SHUT UP!" at Kathy Ireland when she was begging Gus to let her go with him.
- Chick Flick: Mike and Crow get into an argument during the credits and accuse each other of watching these, among them Fried Green Tomatoes, Mermaids, and Steel Magnolias. At one point, they debate whether Madame Sousatzka qualified as one.
- Allegedly inspired by a similar battle between Mike and Frank in the writing room.
- Dull Surprise: One of the skits had Mike guess Kathy Ireland's emotions in the film and correct answer for all of them was the Trope Namer.
- Fan Disservice: Though Mike and the 'bots are enchanted by Kathy's appearance, her nasally voice acts as a Berserk Button at times.
- Notable Original Music: "My Wild Irish Ireland", Mike and the Bot's love ballad to Kathy Ireland.
- Running Gag: Mike and the Bots ripping into Gus' accent.
- Shout-Out: At one point the Bots quote the beginning monologue from "Computer Blue" by Prince and the Revolution.
- Upon Wanda's arrival in Atlantis, Mike and the Bots start singing "Underground" by Tom Waits from his album Swordfishtrombones. Joel had previously sung the same song with the Bots in Fugitive Alien 2.
- During the opening host segment, Crow imitates Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, berating Mike while the latter attempts to field strip Servo. After the first commercial break, Mike puts on an impressive Slasher Smile in a reference to Pvt. Pyle.
- Slasher Smile/Kubrick Stare: Mike has a damn impressive one in the first host segment after the commercial break in a Shout-Out to Full Metal Jacket.
Dr. Forrester: Ah, Mike, I see you've decided to go psycho. God speed.
- Too Dumb to Live: Their Alternate Character Interpretation of Wanda.
As she puts her ear to a door — Crow: Um, this door sounds brown!
As she examines a photograph — Mike: Hello? What're you doing behind that glass? You look so small.