Aloha, I finally have a picture on this page!
A Canadian Let's Player
who refers to himself as The Great Clement, he's a bit different from the rest; where most LPers chronicle their various screw-ups and play their ineptitude and frustration up for humor, Clement focuses on providing informative commentary on the game itself, including such things as the story, the level design, the characters, the game play, and so on and so forth. But I digress
, he has a penchant for going off on weird tangents, though, and he's not above making horrible jokes when the opportunity to do so arises. He also worships Dr. Eggman from the Sonic the Hedgehog
series. So far, most of his LPs have focused on the Mega Man
and Sonic the Hedgehog series, with occasional dabbling in Donkey Kong Country
, Super Mario Bros.
, and other assorted video game series.
His page can be found here
open/close all folders
Mega Man L Ps
Sonic the Hedgehog L Ps/Reviews
Other L Ps
Games The Great Clement plans to LP:
Tropes expressed in The Great Clement's LPs:
- Berserk Button: He's not too fond of the missions in Shadow the Hedgehog where you have to kill every enemy in the level and must backtrack if you miss even one.
- Do NOT defend Sonic '06 in front of him. Or acknowledge that it's bad, but suggest that there are worse Sonic games.
- Big "NO!": In his Wily Wars Mega Man 3 LP, upon reaching the Wily 2 Boss, Clement did this after realizing that the boss was the Yellow Devil MK-II. Repeated (in a sense) during his Mega Man X5 LP, where Clement went into a rant on how he left the Classic series behind after he performed this trope upon reaching the Shadow Devil. Later, during the Sonic 06 Review Finale, Clement did this again after losing all his lives in the final segment of the End Of The World stage.
- Before this when he dies from a cheaply-placed hazard in the otherwise easy Sonic Man race. He also claimed to have screamed this off-camera when he found out that his game over in Kingdom Valley would force him back through Three Trials of Soleanna because the game doesn't autosave, and joined in with Shadow's (who belts these out whenever he falls into Bottomless Pits) when an invisible wall stops him over a pit.
- At the end of Shadow the Hedgehog's Lost Impact, he gives two of these in sheer disbelief that people could claim to like the game.
- You can expect a Big No from Clement whenever he encounters the Yellow Devil.
- He gives one in MegaMan Zero 2 when Elpizo destroys X's original body and frees the Dark Elf.
- Broken Tears: At the beginning of his Sonic Genesis LP, Clement breaks down and cries when he realized he'd been LP'ing Sonic games for over two and a half years.
In reality, it's just a port of the original Sonic the Hedgehog
, the original classic game that started the series off, the first Sonic
LP I did back on February 6th, 2010! ...Wow! I've being doing Sonic
games since February 6th, 2010. [beat
- Canada, Eh?: Mostly averted (Clement does have a mild accent), unless Clement is actively defending or poking fun of his nationality.
- Catch Phrase: He's got several, including...
- "Aloha! It is I, the Great Clement." - upon starting an LP.
- "But I digress..." - after wrapping up one of his many oddball ramblings.
- "Until then, toodles." - after completing an LP.
- "I hate that game." - referring to Mega Man X6 while not playing it.
- "I hate this game." - referring to Mega Man X6 while playing it.
- "Fuck that game." - referring to Sonic 2006.
- "Uhh…A Wizard Did It!" - when trying to explain an odd happening, such as how a dragon managed to trap citizens in crystal.
- Similarly, in his collaborations with BrainScratch Commentaries, "It's a video game!" whenever somebody starts overanalyzing things that don't make any sense when you apply real world logic to the game.
- "And that's no good!", usually during his Sonic LPs.
- Challenge Gamer: He's a veteran at the Mega Man series, so he tends to make it look easy. It's not, as he doesn't hesitate to point out.
- Contractual Genre Blindness: To avoid spoiling the plot of the various games in the Mega Man series, he refuses to acknowledge that Dr. Wily or Sigma could possibly be behind the plot until they've revealed themselves. He turns this trope on its head for his Mega Man 10 LP, turning "I don't trust Dr. Wily" into a minor Running Gag.
- Deadpan Snarker: He loves to point out when the characters are being idiots. In particular, he never stops making fun of how helpless the Resistance would be without the titular character of the Mega Man Zero series, nor does he allow Knuckles to live down his moments of extreme gullibility.
- He goes on a small tangent in part 9 of the Fear Effect LP:
Clement: ...by the way, Hell has good cell phone reception, doesn't it? *laughs* I mean, yeah, there's all this horrific imagery with hanging corpses and everything, but... damn, Verizon! You-you got your shit going here, y'know? Does this place have free wi-fi? That'd be awesome! Oh, you're in Hell, but hey, free wi-fi! Can't go wrong with that.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Lampshaded in his Sonic Rivals 2 let's play:
Clement: All of the returning modes return... *realizes what he said, chuckling* "All of the returning modes return"... I am so good at commentary!
- Drinking Game: In-universe; Done exclusively in his Super Meat Boy LP, where he would take a shot every time he died. He only made it to Chapter 3 before he was totally wasted and couldn't continue. He finished the rest of the LP (without the imposed challenge) once he recovered.
- Drowning My Sorrows: He starts drinking cherry whiskey during the Sonic 06 review because he'd run out of pills to control his Sanity Slippage.
- Dull Surprise: At times.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Back when he first started, Clement played a lot of crappy licensed games and a bunch of others instead of favorites like Sonic or Megaman. His voice also used to be a lot more calmer and he didn't have his live action segments like he does nowadays.
- Epic Fail: In Part 9 of Sonic Adventure 2, Clement, who was trying to A rank every level, dies near the end of Eternal Engine, thus resetting his score to 0 and getting an E rank.
- During the Mega Man Maverick Hunter X playthrough, Clement has an Epic Fail by dying to Chill Penguin, which is worse than Johnny nearly dying to Storm Eagle in the BrainScratchComms playthrough of Mega Man X or Nayrman214 dying to Toad Man. Later, during the Vile playthrough, Clement has another Epic Fail by dying to Chill Penguin...AGAIN. However, all of this is topped by a third Epic Fail when Clement dies to Storm Eagle. BrainScratchComms said it best in the comments.
Ted: You died? To him? ...It's Storm Eagle, Clement!
- Clement later has another Epic Fail when he dies to Spark Mandrill during the boss rush of the Vile playthrough.
- In his Sonic the Hedgehog 2 playthrough, he dies to the Egg Mobile-D. Yes, that painfully easy boss.
- Evil Laugh: Goes into one after beating all of Johnny's records. Can overlap with Laughing Mad.
- Fanboy: Of the Sonic series, without a doubt. He also is a big Mega Man fan.
- He's also this towards Doctor Eggman of the former franchise.
- Guest Star Party Member: of BrainScratch Commentaries
- Hope Spot: During his Sonic '06 review, he brings up one level of the game he claims to like, which is Sonic's Tropical Jungle level with Elise. He looks like he's enjoying it...until a spring he bounces on glitches off and fails to launch Sonic, causing him to lose a life and rage.
- Irony: His favorite Super Smash Bros. character is Mario.
- Implausible Deniability: During the Shadow the Hedgehog LP, he spends the entirety of The Doom ranting about how terrible the already tedious missions are in the level's labyrinthine structure, and loses his shit at the end of the Dark mission when complaining about a glitch that extends the time any unwitting player will spend stuck on the level. After all this, he claims that he's not actually angry.
- Insistent Terminology: Fenri Lunaedge is "Not Blizzard Wolfang".
- Large Ham: Not during his LPs, but when he's on camera, he pulls no punches.
- Last Name Basis: Rarely is he ever called Jamie; the Crew always calls him Clement.
- Laughing Mad: Twice in the Sonic 06 review. The first was after learning the lack of autosave means dying in Wave Ocean forces him to start at the very beginning of the game, and the second is when he dies in End of the World and has to go through the entire Last Story again. Both are followed by a scream.
- Let's Play: His channel mostly focuses on these, with the occasional Vlog review or skit.
- Madness Makeover: He undergoes Sanity Slippage throughout his seven-part review of Sonic '06, his hair becoming more wild as the review progresses.
- Nostalgia Filter: During the Pac-Man World LP, he admits this might be the reason he likes the original Fear Effect and Pac-Man World more than their sequels.
- The One Thing I Don't Hate About You: Admits that for all his vitriolic hatred of Megaman X6 and Sonic 06, they do have great soundtracks.
- Out-of-Character Moment: During his playthrough of Guts Man's scenario in Mega Man Powered Up, he briefly stops to call bullshit when Wily claims that he has no use for Guts Man, considering how many times Wily has used either Guts Man himself or weapons based on his appearance throughout the Classic series.
- Purely Aesthetic Gender: He specifically notes, in his extra video of Mega Man ZX on Aile, that she and Vent essentially play the exact same way and with the same story, save some slight playable, dialogue and side-quest differences, along with changes in where their story focuses: Vent on the backstory and Aile on the potential future.
- Rooting for the Empire: Invoked; Clement roots for the Eggman Empire specifically during his Shadow the Hedgehog LP, and in one stage where you can choose to side with either the Black Arms or Dr. Eggman, he's reluctant to show the Dark mission which involves blowing up Eggman's fleet.
- Rule 34: During the Sonic 3 & Knuckles playthrough, he learned of the echidna's Exotic Equipment:
Clement: So yeah, Knuckles has four penises. I want fanart of that, dammit!
- Running Gag: Again, he's got several...
- He repeatedly screws up the name of the "Sniper Joe" mooks from the Mega Man series. So far, he's called them Cotton-Eyed Joes, Pink-Eyed Joes, and Bazooka Joes, among many other things. (He lampshades this at a couple of points, too; he actually knows what their name is, but gets it wrong anyways just to be funny.)
- He frequently uses Sarcasm Mode, such as when he comes across Yoku Blocks in a Mega Man game:
Clement: And it's those disappearing-reappearing blocks that I love oh so very much.
- The clip of Knuckles the Echidna shouting "SHUT UP!" is used frequently during the LP of Sonic 3 & Knuckles (or whenever he calls Knuckles stupid or dumb in future LP's). This gag also popped up in BrainScratch Commentaries' LP of Sonic '06 in which Clement is a guest commentator.
- This gag also plays out in his LP of the X-Files game where he has the player character, Agent Craig Willmore, say "Shut up!" instead of Knuckles whenever Clement insults him.
- At the end of his Sonic LP's, a Dr. Eggman plush exclaiming "Son of a bitch!" and occasionally going into a quick rant. Subverted at the end of the Sonic Heroes playthrough, where Clement explains that he's still running from Team Chaotix (since he didn't pay them). Also subverted in Riders, as he claims the carpet he gained makes his home cozy, making it a success.
- In his Sonic LP's, the Eggman plush announces the name of any boss, stage, or vehicle beginning with "Egg".
- He's also started adding Vile's freakout about X's Charge Shot.
- In Shadow the Hedgehog, yelling "CHAOS CONTROL!" at the top of his lungs whenever he uses said ability.
- Appears again in Sonic and the Black Knight when he plays as Sir Lancelot.
- In his LP of Sonic and the Secret Rings, Clement will always exclaim "Make beliefs reborn!" upon returning to the menu after completing a mission.
- In his LP of The X-Files, Clement tends to show off his badge to everyone he meets, even though he knows the responses are all the same. He gets surprised when he shows the badge to a hobo and the man actually takes it.
- YMMV on this one, but a running gag in the Mega Man Maverick Hunter X playthrough is Clement's higher amount of Epic Fails, such as dying to Chill Penguin as X, dying to Chill Penguin AGAIN as Vile, and dying to Storm Eagle as Vile.
- He has a habit of calling big, dangerous attacks, weapons, or enemies "this big 'fuck you!' [X]."
- Sanity Slippage: After failing to best Johnny at City Escape, Act 1 in Sonic Generations. Probably playing it up for the camera, but it's still very creepy.
- Goes completely off the edge in part 1 of his Sonic '06 review where he lost all of his lives in Wave Ocean (mostly from the game killing him with glitches) and then sees the opening cutscene play again and realizing that the game did not save at all (Sonic '06 does not have autosave). Knowing that he has to do everything all over again, including the required introductory town missions full of Loads and Loads of Loading, he breaks into laughter before spilling over into rage.
- The Scrappy: Invoked. He does not like Marine the Raccoon. At all.
- Shout-Out During his Shadow the Hedgehog LP, a reference to Egoraptor's Awesome Chaotix is made, in regards to Charmy Bee being the hero side ally of the Prison Island level.
- So Okay, It's Average: His opinion on Sonic Rivals.
- Squee: When he hears that Mega Man will be in Smash Bros U, he audibly squees.
- Squick: Reacts this way to many of Brentilda's Gruntilda secrets, but especially when he finds out that her party trick is performing a scary striptease.
- Take That: He makes a video that gives a pretty interesting one to some of the Megaman fanbase and Capcom fanbase in general, namely on their reactions of the cancelled Megaman games and how Capcom is ruined. Here it is.
: I've never had a problem with Storm Eagle because Storm Eagle is really predictable and easy to beat. And if anyone else got beaten by Storm Eagle... (laughs) (Evil Laugh
) Sorry! I don't know where that came from.
- Take That, Audience!: In Clement's video review on Sonic Genesis, he explains the reason it took so long to get a video of the game uploaded was because the slowdown from said game was so bad that it took forever to get all the footage he needed. Clement then ends the aside by giving viewers the middle finger and telling them to go fuck themselves for all the bitching and accusations that he was purposely delaying the review of the game.
- At the end of his Sonic 3D Blast LP, he mercilessly insults the viewers who prefer the SEGA Saturn version of the game over the Genesis version, to the point of telling them to unsubscribe.
Oh, shit! I just invalidated everything you believed in! I'm such a douchebag! *Starts laughing mad
* I'M SUCH A PRICK!
- That Came Out Wrong: All the innuendos in his Mister Mosquito LP.
- Especially the bathroom level.
Clement: Look, we're a mosquito, okay? We just want to stick our tiny little prick into this 17-year-old girl!
- Trademark Favourite Video Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 2. His LP of it consisted largely of him saying variations on the phrase "I love this game!"
- We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties: Happens twice during The Doom in Shadow the Hedgehog, though he really wasn't getting any angrier than his rant throughout the rest of the level.
- Part 1 of the Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) review ends with Clement Laughing Mad before a scream of undiluted fury when he learns that he has to start the game from the very beginning when he dies in Wave Ocean's Mach Speed Zone. The following screen tells the viewer to go to Part 2 while Clement deals with "temporary insanity".
- Why Did it Have to Be the Yellow Devil: Absolutely fears the Yellow Devil and all Devil robot series.