As of 2010, the latest of the Mega Man (Classic)
In the year 20XX, an outbreak of a robotic-virus known as the "Roboenza" runs rampant across the globe. Roll becomes infected with the virus, and the situation becomes worse as time passes and a cure is not found. Several robots become berserk and attack the city. One day, Dr. Wily appears in Dr. Light's lab with his capsule damaged and asks for help. Mega Man saves Wily from crashing and Wily says that Roboenza-infected robots attacked his spaceship and stole the parts of a medicine-making machine he had been working on to cure the virus. Mega Man agrees to retrieve the stolen parts from the eight Robot Masters. Before he begins, Proto Man arrives to help Mega Man, believing the job to be too big for just one of them, and the two join forces to acquire the cure. Meanwhile, Bass sets out on his own to challenge these new robots.
Do NOT confuse this with Mega Man X
- DWN-073: Blade Man, weak to Commando Bomb, gives Triple Blade
- DWN-074: Pump Man, weak to Thunder Wool, gives Water Shield
- DWN-075: Commando Man, weak to Wheel Cutter, gives Commando Bomb
- DWN-076: Chill Man, weak to Solar Blaze, gives Chill Spike
- DWN-077: Sheep Man, weak to Rebound Striker, gives Thunder Wool
- DWN-078: Strike Man, weak to Triple Blade, gives the Rebound Striker
- DWN-079: Nitro Man, weak to Chill Spike, gives the Wheel Cutter
- DWN-080: Solar Man, weak to Water Shield, gives Solar Blaze
, which came out well before this game.
- Annual Title: Mega Man 10 was coincidentally (?) released in 2010.
- Athletic Arena Level: Strike Man's stage.
- Be the Ball: Strike Man.
- Big Fancy Castle: Blade Man's stage. Bonus points for having enemy castles INSIDE the castle.
- Bonus Boss: The Mega Man Killers. Not only that, but if you defeat them, Mega Man can use their weapons in the main game (sadly, Proto Man and Bass cannot).
- Call Back: The Sequential Boss of the first Wily level is a series of capsules containing the powers of various robot masters from 1-9; Elec Man, Wood Man, Gemini Man, Ring Man, Napalm Man, Flame Man, Slash Man, Frost Man, and Tornado Man.
- Meanwhile, the third fortress boss is a cross between the familiar Devil series of Wily bosses and the Pico-Pico Master from Mega Man 2.
- Call Forward: It's no secret that Mega Man's storyline eventually leads to Mega Man X, where a virus is causing reploids to go maverick. Sound familiar?
- Ceiling Cling: Blade Man
- Chekhov's Gun: the prototype cure that Wily gave to Roll.
- Continuity Nod: When playing as Proto Man, Auto runs the shop wearing a Met Helmet to hide his identity, this is probably the same Met Helmet he tried to offer to Mega Man at the beginning of Mega Man 7.
- Cool Bike: Nitro Man transforms into one than can drive up walls.
- Down the Drain: Pump Man's stage. Someone has to take care of the sewage...
- Dual Boss: Suzak and Fenix in Solar Man's stage are Dual Mini Bosses.
- Spot the Impostor: the Final Boss, where there are two Wily Capsules, one piloted by the real Wily and the other a decoy. The decoy is easy to tell apart by its appearance alone. More subtly, the real Wily would occasionally sneeze (following up from a cutscene before the Wily stages, where Wily sneezes upon signing off his announcement).
- Evolving Title Screen: Bass appears on the title screen as soon as the player downloads him.
- Expy: Suzak and Fenix are pretty much flying versions of Heat Man, having roughly the same attacks.
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: Solar Man, Chill Man, Sheep Man, respectively.
- Garnishing the Story: The Wily Machine of this game sports a pirate hat, for no other reason than Rule of Cool.
- Giant Enemy Crab: Crab Puncher, the second fortress boss.
- Gretzky Has the Ball: Strike Man's level; a baseball-themed robot master, with stage enemies that utilize soccer balls and footballs as well.
- Ice Palace: Chill Man's stage switches between this and Slippy-Slidey Ice World at various points.
- Ill Girl: In the game's intro, Roll ends up ill because she gets Roboenza.
- Legacy Boss Battle: you get to fight the "Mega Man Killers" as DLC stages.
- Me's a Crowd: An otherwise-weak enemy (Yonbain) in Solar Man's stage will do this if you don't kill it quickly.
- Mythology Gag: There was also a Blade Man in the infamous Mega Man 3 (DOS) for the PC. Even more amusing, that Blade Man's signature weapon, the Blade Launcher, also launched a Spread Shot of three blades, similar to the Triple Blade. Even more amusing is that both Blade "Men" have purple as their dominant color.
- One-Wheeled Wonder: Sepa Roader
- Overly Long Gag: Mega Man's upwards trip towards Wily's Space Station.
- Pinball Projectile: Strike Man's Rebound Striker qualifies- on the third bounce, it heads directly for Mega Man.
- Player-Guided Missile: The Commando Bomb can change directions in mid-air by pressing the appropriate direction (up, down, left, or right) after firing it.
- Pop the Tires: The reasoning behind Nitro Man's weakness against the Chill Spike.
- Promoted to Playable: Proto Man is playable from the start this time, unlike Mega Man 9; this time, Bass, who was curiously absent in 9, is available via DLC. He plays virtually identical to how he did in Mega Man & Bass, only without the double-jump.
- Bass wasn't completely gone from 9; he appears◊ in the ending. Additionally, Word of God has it that Bass was undergoing adjustments at the time, possibly hinting to his DLC appearance in the next title.
- Reverse Shrapnel: The Water Shield, when fired out.
- Save the Villain: In the ending, when Mega Man discovers that Dr. Wily has become very sick himself, he decides right then and there to take him to a hospital. In apparent gratitude, Wily leaves behind enough antidote to cure the Roboenza outbreak when he makes his escape.
- Spread Shot: Triple Blade.
- Stealth Pun: Strike Man's weakness is the Triple Blade. Three strikes and you're out?
- Transforming Mecha: Nitro Man can transform into a motorbike.
- Utility Weapon: Nitro Man's Wheel Cutter can be used to climb walls.
- White Flag: After defeating the Tricastle, it will humorously raise a white flag. Then it explodes.
- Wily Can Breathe In Space: Averted after the final battle. Where he catches influenza.