Mega Man 72 is an NES-style PC fan game created by 72dpiarmy (of Super Mario War fame), which features the typical Mega Man setup of eight robot masters and 8-bit style sprites.The project was started in 2009 by the Mega Man 72 Team aka 72dpiarmy and has since been in the works. Updates are posted to their forum on Rockman Perfect Memories on occasion.Their main forum can be found here.
This game provides examples of:
- Abandoned Hospital: Inject Man seems to occupy one. A robot-hospital, no less!
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: Ooze Man's level is a water treatment plant.
- Amazing Technicolor Battlefield: Distort Man's level could count as this.
- Call-Back: The plot mirrors 5's in nearly every respect (both involve a rival being framed by an impostor).
- Chainsaw Good: Saw Man has one on his arm, that he can use to grind on the floor. As if tossing saw projectiles weren't enough.
- Creator Cameo: Distort Man and Plasma Man are the winning designs of a Robot Master contest, that was held for the game. Gamble Man is also one, but the final design is far different from its original concept.
- Darker and Edgier: Mostly if one reads the character profiles, anyway.
- Eldritch Abomination: Distort Man, despite being a robot, has a freakishly nightmarish appearance.
- Eternal Engine: Plasma Man's level is a giant power plant.
- Expy: Saw Man is essentially a remodelled Metal Man with a paint job. Though the fact that HK Lurch 18 is a big fan of the latter explains the similarities.
- Hornet Hole: Buzz Man's stage is a giant hornet hive.
- Kitsune: Being a fox, Balance is modelled after one of these.
- Nonstandard Character Design: Distort Man and Plasma Man. Given that their designs were chosen for the game, it's (somewhat) justified.
- Oddly Named Fan Sequel 2: Electric Boogaloo: Justified, as the game is named after the forum its development team is from. Still doesn't prevent it from sounding bizarre, however.
- Pinball Zone: Not exactly based on pinball, but Gamble Man has a casino level.
- Playing with Fire: Buzz Man's weapon is actually a flame thrower.
- The Rival: Mute is this to Mega Man, Proto Man and Bass, as well as Balance for Rush and Treble.
- Wackyland: Mirror Man's level is full of weird gimmicks like this.